Print Thread
Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? #2896840 01/04/12 04:48 AM
H
Hogz Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Hello everyone..I am new to this website. Thought I would join up and ask the pros (you guys) some questions. I have a small group of guys headed down to Texas for a hunt on some private property but was also considering stopping by and hunting Hunters Creek Ranch. Has any one hunt there?

Any input on this ranch? I have been in contact with Bob down there and he is a supper nice guy! In fact he was the one that gave me this website to ask about the ranch!

Thanks in advance for any information. I will be picking your brains on our free range hog hunt as well.

Thanks again!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Hogz] #2901685 01/05/12 05:42 PM
P
Piper354 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I think you are talking about Bob Dithrow in Mount Vernon, Texas? I hunted with him over Thanksgiving weekend and had a great time. My Bro in law knows him from way back. He is a good person. I had the chance to just talk with him for about 30 minutes while waiting for another hunter to arrive and felt like i knew him forever. If this is him and you need more info let me know.

Mike

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Hogz] #2901687 01/05/12 05:43 PM
P
Piper354 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I think you are talking about Bob Dithrow in Mount Vernon, Texas? I hunted with him over Thanksgiving weekend and had a great time. My Bro in law knows him from way back. He is a good person. I had the chance to just talk with him for about 30 minutes while waiting for another hunter to arrive and felt like i knew him forever. If this is him and you need more info let me know.

Mike

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Piper354] #2909000 01/08/12 04:23 AM
B
BFord Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Great place!! Highly recommend it to anyone! Butt load of pigs!

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: BFord] #2911228 01/09/12 02:00 AM
H
Hogz Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Awesome.. Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!

Have been speaking with Bob the last few days.. gonna book a 1 day free range hunt with him! Sounds like a blast and that he goes out of his way to get you on some hogs. He even offered dog hunt! Sounds like a blast!!

Thanks again for the input!!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe

Jeff

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Hogz] #2911285 01/09/12 02:12 AM
T
txmikenlisa1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Me and my buddies have been out there 3-4 times in the last year or so for hog hunting and bowfishing. Bob and Doreen are awesome! We have 9 of us headed out there this coming weekend for another hunt actually. You cant go wrong with Bob for your hunts. You have to try his dog hunts. They are a great experience.

Last edited by txmikenlisa1; 01/09/12 02:13 AM.
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: txmikenlisa1] #2911889 01/09/12 05:27 AM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Been out with Bob numerous times. Good time, good hogs, great people. Tell him Kent and his son Logan say hello

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: GUTIT] #2918463 01/11/12 12:52 AM
H
Hogz Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Thanks guys!! Txmikenlisa..you will have to keep me posted on your hunt next week! WITH PICTURES!! We will be down there Feb 5th I think. We are only going to be there for the one evening. Probably not enough time..but this is only an exploratory trip. Sort of a RECON. mission. With plans of returning with a larger group.

Gutit..I will be sure to mention you guys!

So on your trips down there..what size and how many hogs do you guys take each trip (how many days do you guys hunt.. Do you see numerous hogs each trip?

Thanks again for all your info!!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe

Jeff

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Hogz] #2919156 01/11/12 03:35 AM
T
txmikenlisa1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
We were there this time last january and took 4-5 by sitting in stands at nite. We took 9-10 in about 3-4 hours the next morning with Bobs dogs and some knives. Most were sows between 80-175#. My buddy did manage to knife about a 275# boar that trip. That was an exciting one. That boar charged us, threw the catch dog, and fought like crazy once Bob grabbed his rear legs. Bring a camera that takes decent video when u go so u can catch ur knife hunts. There is no shortage of hogs in the area where the stands and feeders are located. You wont regret hunting oit there.

Mike

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: txmikenlisa1] #2931772 01/15/12 06:02 PM
F
Fishinfred Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
I had a good hunt with Bob at Hunters creek last March and took two small (50#) pigs with my knife using dogs I hunted a couple days and it was a pleasant trip Hunted from stands at night and did see quite a few hogs but the problem was being able to see them to get a good shot I would recommend Night vision scope if you can get one He has nice little cabins to stay in as well and Doreen is charming and cooks very good smile
Fishinfred

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Fishinfred] #2931862 01/15/12 07:00 PM
H
Hogz Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Thanks Fishinfred! Sounds like we will have a good time. We will be hunting the free range area. He says there are alot of hogs out there tearing up his food plots.
Cant wait!

Thanks again!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe

Jeff

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Hogz] #2932711 01/16/12 12:56 AM
T
tonyfc Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Hi everybody, second and last time at hunters creek ranch! Bob the ever " caring" and "informed" owner placed 3 hunters ( including me) with high powered rifles yesterday ( 1/14/12) in stands just down range from a working ranch with horse, people, and cattle... When presented with the problem he denied it and STORMED out of the lodge in a fit of rage! Really! What an immature, callous and dangerous response to an issue that dealt with endangerment of others! The three of us in the stand realized the danger and refused to shoot ( actually not a problem because for the second year in a row , NO HOGS !!) we just sat and had a few drinks and waited for our ride back to the main trailer ( ohh! I mean lodge).
Bob's response to the problem was that we should not be drinking ... Well, if
1) there were hogs we'd be shooting instead of drinking and 2) if it were safe to shoot we would not have given up and resorted to booze for entertainment !
Hunters Creek Lodge is cheap, I mean inexpensive, but as the old adage goes " you get what you pay for!"
Bob seemed more interested in processing a hog for dinner ( to avoid paying for a good dinner?) than he did hunting! A mid-day predator/varmint hunt.... NOT!!
I paid early and left last night! What a disappointment !!! In reality DPS/police should be informed on the hazard Bob places his neighbors in!!!

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Hogz] #2932980 01/16/12 02:18 AM
T
tonyfc Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Why do you keep posting the same thing over and over, you posted it once, don't need to post it again.

Last edited by dgilbert; 01/16/12 01:25 PM.
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: tonyfc] #2942560 01/19/12 03:13 AM
H
hcranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Hi Tony,
This is Bob with Hunters Creek Ranch. I apologize if the hunt at our ranch was not to your liking. To address some of the issues in your post. The most important was the unsafe situation you said you were put in. So, I called the local game warden to get his imput on the situation. Sorry to say in his professional opinion there was no unsafe situation present but he did review one gun safety rule...Be aware of what is beyond your target (that is the hunters responsibility) Moving on to the next comment, yes I did leave the cabin because it dawned on me that it is impossible to have a rational conversation with someone who has consumed as much alcohol as you did. On to the next. You seem to be put out with our lodging and meals, maybe you should consider booking with Marriott or Hilton. The midday varmint hunt that was to be held only if the duck hunt was canceled, well when you got back from the duck hunt you were one of the first ones to say what a good time you had. In reviewing the weekend I don't believe I owe you an appology but I do owe everyone else one because of the mistake I made I let you leave our ranch after consuming a pint of whisky so I put everyone on the road in danger. I will be more than happy to refund the price of your hunt. After your behavior at our ranch, might I suggest you take up golf instead of hunting. We wish you the best and to everyone else...Happy Hunting.

Hunters Creek Ranch
www.hunterscreekranchtx.com
903-305-8460
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: hcranch] #2942714 01/19/12 04:01 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Well Bob that is a stand up post and offer to tonyfc. That in itself makes me think it would be a good place to go. Other than that thought I have seen many good reports from your place.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: passthru] #2942737 01/19/12 04:14 AM
J
JonesFisher Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Ive seen some outfitter scam posts, but after reading this kind of makes me want to ask other outfitters and guides what hunters to watch out for.

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: JonesFisher] #2942828 01/19/12 04:52 AM
C
CHASE CURTIS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I consider Bob at HCR not only to be a good outfitter but friend as well and I can tell you that he would never put anyone of his customers in harms way.. I have personally sat in literally every stand they have and there is not one that is a "danger" to anything except a HOG.. I have taken trips with kids and family to Bobs place and can tell you from someone who has been a as a paying patron more than anyone.. its a first rate well run hunting camp.

CURTIS CUSTOM FFL 07/SOT II
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: CHASE CURTIS] #2942945 01/19/12 06:28 AM
C
CG the Mexican Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Well lets see where to Begin here. I was at Bobs ranch this last weekend Jan 13-15-2012. It was actually so bad @ss that I flew out from California just to go. Went with my Brother (Txmikenlisa) for a weekend hunt with him and some of his friends. TONYFC was also there and though im sorry to say that you didnt get a hog you did manage to ruin the night for a lil while.. BUt we made a strong come back to happy land. I on the other hand while I sat quietly in My stand managed to Shoot a pig... But I wasnt drinking and talking so loud that any one with in a mile could hear me, not to mention the hogs. So after I dropped that pig I had a great pulled pork dinner from a pig that Bob had taken earlier just for that reason, to eat for lunch and dinner... and the way Doreen cooked it up was nothing short of EXCELLENT. As far as there being no pigs on Hunters Creek Ranch... I mean aside from the 1 I shot from my stand Quietly till my shot rang out, The 1 I sighted(but didnt get my shot off) and the 2 I stabbed in the morning along with the 4 others we took with our group, there may be no pigs.. But I doubt that... we saw a few we let run off to. Tho Hunters Creek Ranch is short about 7 or 8 pigs from when our group left the experience was nothing short of AWESOME! I cant wait to get back out there and get some more pigs. The living quarters are great too as compared to roughing it. Its comfortable and more importantly warm. The staff at HCR is great and knowledgeable. They will let you stand back and watch or get as bloody as you like. Bob, Doreen and Shannon did a awesome job and I will be back for sure. Even all the way out from California. The other guide we had for some duck hunting was very good also. She was quick witted and her family was more than hospitable to our group, Incuding previously mentioned company. Im sorry to have witnessed the insult to Bob and Hunters Creek Ranch. Alcohol is a great thing but im sure EVEY ONE reading this knows it does cause irattionality. If any one wants to ask me about my experience at HCR... Email me on here or just drop me your number or put up questions,ill do my best to answer answer..... Golf hu.. That sounds boring...heres a picture of those non existent hogs...enjoy fellas!

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: CG the Mexican] #2943934 01/19/12 05:53 PM
B
BFord Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
HCR IS A GREAT PLACE! I took 10 guys out there to hunt last 2 years ago now. The lodging was perfect, warm, out of the rain, a bed,i dont know what else you want?! Its hunting, not killing, htats why you have to keep trying. I went and was not able to connect with a deer. No biggy, its hunting, we did how ever connect with a butt load of pigs! Bob and his crew went out of thier way to make sure everyone in our group left with at least some bacon. So we hunted till 4 am in the moring! Bob slept by the fire, or at least napped by the fire to get up in in an hour to get us back into the stands! There is not a person in this world that i would not recommend to this outfit! Here did everything and then some for us!! We are going to try and go back this year and hunt with HCR, the stories and the laughs were great!! i personally saw more pigs in 1 night than i knew what to do with! I counted about 75 pigs the one evening! The guys around me only saw 1 or 2, thats why it is hunting! Great guy and Fantastic Outfit!

Also Doreen can cook up some mean grub!! i was so full and injoyed every bit!! I even bothered Bob to cook a pig but we couldnt get enough time to get it going.

Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: BFord] #2945000 01/20/12 01:40 AM
H
Hogz Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Wow..at first, a flag came up when I read tonyfcs post..but then I got to Bob's reply and the flag quickly went back down. What a great post. Very professional. With all the other posts and messages I received on Hunters Creek Ranch..I am really looking forward to my hunt with Bob! I have spoken with him on a couple occasions already and really enjoy talking to him about our hunt! Feels like I have known him a long time..when infact..I have never actually met the guy!
Bob..Get those hogs coming into the free range area..and get the hog dogs ready.. I REALLY want to try that once!
Thanks again everyone for all the information on HCR! Tony...sorry you had a bad trip.

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe

Jeff

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: Hunters Creek Ranch? your thoughts? [Re: Hogz] #2946186 01/20/12 03:22 PM
L
Lander Johnson Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
I also was apart of the group that went to HCR on January 13-15, and I must say that tonyfc was quite frankly out of line. Completely out of line. While he indeed left early, without hog in tow, it wasn't due to a perceived lack of hogs. It was, as Bob pointed out, largely due to the alcohol consumption throughout the entire day. Everyone on the ranch could hear Tony and the other two gentleman in his stand, as they had drank an entire bottle of whiskey in addition to the beer earlier in the day. The irony of it all, is that on the very day that Tony claims there were "NO HOGS", one of our guys shot a hog, and another (who rode with Tony to and home early from HCR)saw no less than four from his blind. Also, both Doreen and Bob ASKED us what we wanted for dinner, and we all were on board with pulled pork (cooked to perfection by the way) with homemade potato salad from scratch to boot! I think it's safe to say out of the 8-9 people we had there, only one left without having an awesome experience.

I personally got two hogs (one 180# and the other 185#), and as a group, for the weekend, we hauled in 8 or 9. With that being said, I think anyone following this post can tell that Tony's perception is an utter fabrication of the reality. The staff was more than willing to accomodate any requests we made. For example, CG the Mexican asked Shannon if he could walk him through properly skinning and quartering a hog, to which he received no objection. Shannon also partially disassembled and then sighted one of our guys' rifles without complaint. I asked for the head of one of my hogs, and again, my request was met without question. Bob even provided tips on cleaning and preserving the skull. No matter the time or temperature, the entire staff was willing to take us out for any kind of hunt. I'm not really sure what else we could have asked for on our hunt, but it seemed to me and most of the others (minus 1), that we got exactly what we went for: a great time, great food, and a great experience. So thank you, Bob, Doreen, Shannon, and Ashley, for not only your hospitality, but for your willingness to ensure everyone was satisfied with their trip. This city slicker will be back indeed!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide