Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Bradbiggs] #2879626 12/29/11 08:39 PM
H
hog1 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted By: Bradbiggs
Originally Posted By: hog1
"Just one question is your business licensed ??? I mean if you make money off of land you have to claim it on taxes . What I am trying to say good old uncle sam does not give out free lunch.....someone has to pay"

Not sure what your question is but yes, any money I make off my property I pay Federal income tax on.

What I'm refering to as taxes are local county property taxes that have to be paid every year whether I make any money off the property or not. Two different taxes.

Yes i understand the difference in property taxes and income tax so if you claim it on your taxes means you have a buisness id which would mean you are operating a business so you admit the pigs are not a problem they actually make you money and i tell you anything that makes me money is not a problem or let me see you would rather not have pigs and then no one would hunt your land so in reality you would not make any money and would still be required to pay your property taxes please explain to me maybe i do not understand do you have a hunting lease or a pig problem cause you can not have both

I never said I leased my land for hunting. I derive my revenue from pine trees and livestock. Hogs are a problem for me, but I take care of my own problems, I don't wait on someone else to do it for me. Besides, it's a good excuse to go hunting.

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: luvpigmeet] #2879638 12/29/11 08:42 PM
B
Bradbiggs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: luvpigmeet
no problem bradbiggs. Us yankees tend to do things a little too quick. Thanks for the clarification. I understand completely what you are saying.

I am a yankee also before i joined the army lived most my life in ohio but moved around everywhere with army before i got out in 06

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: hog1] #2879649 12/29/11 08:45 PM
B
Bradbiggs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: Bradbiggs
"Just one question is your business licensed ??? I mean if you make money off of land you have to claim it on taxes . What I am trying to say good old uncle sam does not give out free lunch.....someone has to pay"

Not sure what your question is but yes, any money I make off my property I pay Federal income tax on.

What I'm refering to as taxes are local county property taxes that have to be paid every
year whether I make any money off the property or not. Two different taxes.

Yes i understand the difference in property taxes and income tax so if you claim it on your taxes means you have a buisness id which would mean you are operating a business so you admit the pigs are not a problem they actually make you money and i tell you anything that makes me money is not a problem or let me see you would rather not have pigs and then no one would hunt your land so in reality you would not make any money and would still be required to pay your property taxes please explain to me maybe i do not understand do you have a hunting lease or a pig problem cause you can not have both

I never said I leased my land for hunting. I derive my revenue from pine trees and livestock. Hogs are a problem for me, but I take care of my own problems, I don't wait on someone else to do it for me. Besides, it's a good excuse to go hunting.

Just givin ya a hard time no worries i understand and hope you figure out your problem if not I am sure many could come and help you hahah god speed and happy hunting

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Bradbiggs] #2879787 12/29/11 09:35 PM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Hey bradbiggs,
I retired from the Army in '94. Miss it every day. Good talking to you. I will go easy on you since you are a Brother in Arms! HA HA.

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: luvpigmeet] #2879811 12/29/11 09:47 PM
B
Bowtech1233 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If you work at it hard enough you can find land owners who will let you hunt for free. They are harder and harder to find these days, but they are out there. Problem is that there are a lot of people willing to pay $300 to hunt hogs. The land owners have figured this out and they are all about the money. Can't blame em...

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: jmc82] #2879866 12/29/11 10:11 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
JMC82, It appears from reading the link that landowners would need insurance if they lease their land for hunting.

A couple of years ago I tried to get an Umbrella policy to protect myself if anybody got hurt on my land. My insurance company, State Farm, denied the coverage because I invited kids to come on the property and hunt and fish. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I take children who have never been in the outdoors fishing and hunting. Then I checked with Farm Bureau who has the policies on my equipment. They turned me down because I owned 4 wheelers and one of the kids might get hurt on them. I told them that I don't let children ride the bikes.

A couple of thoughts:

Buying the insurance is expensive IF YOU CAN GET IT. If liability is limited or non existent, why won't insurance companies sell it?

Anybody can be sued and the insurance industry knows that juries aren't filled by people with good sense.

Anybody that has ever been through a divorce knows that law and justice or right and wrong don't really matter. Hell no, I don't trust Judges.

Defending yourself, no matter what, is expensive. Anybody who has ever been in a lawsuit, including divorce, only wants to do it once. Right/wrong, common sense go out the window when lawyers get involved. It really isn't worth the hassle.

BTW, I have never leased my land for anything or to anybody. How many people would lease out their spare bedroom to a stranger for the weekend? To a landowner, it's about the same thing.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 12/29/11 10:25 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: luvpigmeet] #2879965 12/29/11 10:42 PM
B
Bradbiggs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: luvpigmeet
Hey bradbiggs,
I retired from the Army in '94. Miss it every day. Good talking to you. I will go easy on you since you are a Brother in Arms! HA HA.

Ok ok fair enough glad to hear you Were a soldier and nice meeting you and if you ever get to texas let me know maybe we can get some hogs

Last edited by Bradbiggs; 12/29/11 10:43 PM.

--George Patton--

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Bradbiggs] #2880237 12/30/11 12:18 AM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Will let you know. I luv me some pig hunting. Take care.

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: luvpigmeet] #2883474 12/31/11 01:31 AM
C
CaveManRancher Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Anyone who thinks that a hunter, free or paying, can "eliminate a landowners hog problem" is a few beans short of a full burrito. Sure you may get one or two, but that isn't gonna effect the population. Trapping, can you insure you get the whole group? Running dogs? Fun, but I've never seen a group of dogs stop a group of 20 + hogs. So you get one or two and had some fun..... I understand justifying the position for hunting on land with a pig problem, but it's for fun, taking a few pigs with a rifle, small trap or dogs, isn't solving the problem. I have several traps, snares all over, hunters and workers shooting every pig they see, helicopters flying every now and then, and hogs rooting up country. Until we can poison them and educate ALL landowners that they need to be eliminated, we're all just getting our rocks off shooting hogs.....I have a great time, but I know I'm not making a dent

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: jmc82] #2883484 12/31/11 01:33 AM
B
big-tex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: jmc82
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
If I let you come on my land with a firearm, I would be a fool not to have a lot of liability insurance.

Laws regarding landowner liability

Read these laws. I dont mean to sound rude, and am not pointing my finger at you specifically, but if people here would do a little research, less misinformation and lies would be spread around as truth.

Or you can have hunter sign waiver, it's 100% legal.

Texas A&M did study:
If you eliminate 7 out of 10 hogs you will only control population at same level. All of the above mentioned methods will put enough pressure on property for hogs to move elsewhere.

Hogs hunts are becoming way to commercialized just like anything else.

Landowners!
Do you want hogs on your property, do you like damage?
Let responsible hunters, trappers, etc help help you before it will get out of control. Population is growing!

It's simple economics how much are you loosing to torn up crops and how much you make of hunts. Unless you make cash of hunters and do insurance claims due to crop loss. smile

When quality counts!!!!!
http://texascamo.tk
Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: big-tex] #2883650 12/31/11 02:13 AM
C
CaveManRancher Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Put enough pressure on them to move elsewhere? Yeah, back to where they came from, the neighbors who don't put any pressure on them.. They breed and keep coming back. You cant be in the bushes 24/7, 365....I'm not talking about guarding a 100 acre wide open patch.....there's lots of land and brush in west texas.

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Bowtech1233] #2884534 12/31/11 03:08 PM
***Sean*** Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Bowtech1233
If you work at it hard enough you can find land owners who will let you hunt for free. They are harder and harder to find these days, but they are out there. Problem is that there are a lot of people willing to pay $300 to hunt hogs. The land owners have figured this out and they are all about the money. Can't blame em...

Well said!!! Be foolish to let someone do it for free!!!

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: ***Sean***] #2885072 12/31/11 07:40 PM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Either you all have a place for the original poster to hunt near Corpus Christi or you don't, which is it?

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: big-tex] #2885605 12/31/11 11:44 PM
M
MOcommander Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
X2

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: MOcommander] #2885622 12/31/11 11:51 PM
S
ssmith Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
a waiver is a waste of time most land owners dont want free hunters because of this legal climate they have to deal with you can be toally right but it could cost you thousands to defend yourself against a basless claim.

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: ssmith] #2885693 01/01/12 12:27 AM
B
Bradbiggs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Ok about the liability concern

Ok according to the law the landowner is more at risk if he charges for the service so let me see if i got this right?? They would accept 50 dollars and willingly up thier liability in order to make 50 dollars and this somehow makes them accept the liability.

Is like saying look give me 50 dollars and i will accept the more liability and risk 1000s of dollars of legal fees and settlement.

Lets be honest as long as you do not charge it makes you almost not have any liability as the land owner as long as you do not purposly try to hurt the hunter . like tell them to hunt and set out bear traps ,then of course you would be liable but as long as you did not purposly hurt the hunter you hold no liability .still feel liable ?? well make a waiver and if you make a good waiver you have zero liability. and yes i agree I hunter can not terminate a hog population but lets be realistic even with heli hunting taking 100 s of hogs we still are not eradicating them but hunting does add pressure and yes they go to the neighbors but if you keep adding pressure the will learn not to go to your property and the goal is to push them off your land . if the neighbor has a problem then he will have to add some pressure and slowly move them back off thier land hogs are very smart and after so much pressure they will learn it is not safe on your land and yes i understand if you have 1000s of acres with alot of water and brush that you have a much harder problem to push them off your land you need to cut out the brush and also try to prevent the hogs from utilizing water on your land try to prevent food and water and cover and Add hunting pressure and you will have lowered the damage the pigs cause But the moral of the story if you accept 50$ for someone to hunt and you are willing to be more liable really does not appear you are worried about the liability seems you are worried about the money

--George Patton--

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Bradbiggs] #2885716 01/01/12 12:35 AM
C
Circleb41 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Ok so does anyone have somewhere for the OP to hunt or not?? He wasn't debating liability or the hog population. He wants meat for the freezer

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: ssmith] #2885721 01/01/12 12:36 AM
B
Bradbiggs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: ssmith
a waiver is a waste of time most land owners dont want free hunters because of this legal climate they have to deal with you can be toally right but it could cost you thousands to defend yourself against a basless claim.

So the 50 dollars they make or even 100 makes the 1000s of legal fees worth it also have you read the laws if you charge you are so much more liable so excepting money changes the chances of being liable ten fold hmm for me is a wierd excuse . That for such a little amout of money that a land owner would change his stand from minimal liability to full liability by accepting a minimal fee read the liability above

--George Patton--

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Circleb41] #2885744 01/01/12 12:46 AM
O
OneShotSam Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
It's a shame it's got to this, back in the day I could hunt anywhere I wanted. Just take care of the property like it was your own, and close any gates you opened. You didn't even think about any liability issues. Now then, if you grant someone permission to hunt they bring 2 friends, then the friends show up with 2 friends. Not all hunters are this way understand. Its just signs of the times I guess. I don't have a problem with it either way. You pay to go sight your gun in, or just shoot.........right? Just saying

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Bradbiggs] #2885747 01/01/12 12:46 AM
B
Bradbiggs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Circle we are advising him on the reasons why there is no one that will let him hunt by reading this post you did not get the vibe that no one wants to let someone hunt for free ??? And this is a forum to talk about and answer questions maybe the conversation went a little left field but still very much is answering his question and that would be big no ...no hunter wants the liability to let him hunt for free. If it bothers you that we actually get a little more elaborate than you like maybe you should not open this link

--George Patton--

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: OneShotSam] #2885755 01/01/12 12:48 AM
B
Bradbiggs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: OneShotSam
It's a shame it's got to this, back in the day I could hunt anywhere I wanted. Just take care of the property like it was your own, and close any gates you opened. You didn't even think about any liability issues. Now then, if you grant someone permission to hunt they bring 2 friends, then the friends show up with 2 friends. Not all hunters are this way understand. Its just signs of the times I guess. I don't have a problem with it either way. You pay to go sight your gun in, or just shoot.........right? Just saying

Well said I believe the reason everyone wants to charge is not only because money but also because many hunters do not respect the landowner and does more damage than good

--George Patton--

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: bluetopper] #2900555 01/05/12 05:35 AM
R
Ristow49 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
Originally Posted By: parisite
Either you all have a place for the original poster to hunt near Corpus Christi or you don't, which is it?

yess thank you thats all im looking for

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: Ristow49] #2903412 01/06/12 02:21 AM
R
Ricky T Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
new to forum and kinda flipping through. I live in upstate ny. basically all farm land. some crops, some orchards, some dairy farms..Almost all hunting here is free. There are very few places that lease. Most farmers are thrilled to let you hunt deer. Most will not allow coyote hunting, because they believe the yotes help keep the deer down.the dept of enviornmental conservation has release liability forms you print off there web site, for you to offer to land owners. some of the larger farms get 100"s if not 1000"s of nuisance deer permits each year . Our taxes in fact are the highest in the country. Fact you can look it up. Monroe county NY.But rambling now. Point is leases and pay to hunt are virtually not heard of here..Friendly hello, respecting the property, and a few chunks of meat will do it here.

Last edited by Ricky T; 01/06/12 02:23 AM.
Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: stuko] #2903643 01/06/12 03:17 AM
D
Deerdown99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I think you should just not let people hunt your property and let the hogs fk it up and see if we care. Cuz like that one guy say you dont have a hog problem if your charging $200 Lmfao Us hunters just need to wait and we will be the ones charging $200 to rid ther property of a growing problem.

Re: Free hog Hunting??? [Re: stuko] #2903899 01/06/12 04:22 AM
M
M Bennet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
when land owners bitch about it.i just tell them that its ok cause these hogs need places to breed. we the hunter just sit and wait until they spread out where we can hunt them.
nothings free in life.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide