Forums46
Topics538,179
Posts9,733,907
Members87,071
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles #2873083 12/27/11 02:39 PM
garrett Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
It was 4am when I pulled up to the my parking spot, and I was first truck there. I knew it was going to be a good morning for a hunt. I got out of the truck and got my waders on, Cabelas DRYplus warders, they just fit and feel good on. After getting strapped in I started my pack mule routine, Drake XL blind bag over my shoulder, followed by my SBE II, that Avery sling makes it so easy to carry my gun around in the dark. Next was the 4 dozen game winner texas rigged decoys thrown over my back, and off to the magic duck hole I went.

There was a chill in the air, it was about 37.4 degrees that morning. There was also a mist in the air, a real heavy dew had set in, maybe it was rain, I don’t really know. What I do know is that there was something magical about this walk, something about being in the woods and getting ready for a waterfowl hunt that just feels right.

I got to the X on lake X in X, Texas. I gently sat all my gear down and organized things the way I like for an easy set up, but before setting up I sat back and had a cup of Starbucks breakfast blend coffee and just took it all in. After a restful cup of coffee it was time to set up, I tossed out the decoys in a “J-Hook” pattern that an old waterfowl guru taught me. I have never met said guru in person, but I have talked with him on the internet extensively and felt a certain bond that most waterfowlers have for one another.

Oh uh…I see lights coming my way, I flash them off with my 1,000,000 candle power spotlight, and they keep on moving around the bend down the way…today the duck gods smiled upon me, it was going to be a good day., because I didn’t even need my AK

Decoys are set up, now it was time to work on the blind. I walked about 32 yards back into the woods and found some old fallen branches that would make great cover. I drug 4 large pieces to my spot X and set them up like a blind. The cover was perfect, the ducks would never know what hit ‘em. I set up my marsh seat and settled in for LST. I only had about 45min till shooting time, just enough time to set back and enjoy more coffee before the real excitement began.

LST comes around and I’m covered up with ducks, it was still pretty dark but I was positive I was covered with mallards, the king of all ducks. I spent the first 10min of LST watching in awe as these majestic creatures circled and dropped in like nothing I have ever seen. I could not take it any longer and had to start shooting. First two shots fired dropped 2 ducks, upon retrieving them I was surprised to see a grey duck drake and a pintail hen. They were not mallards, but it was still a great start. I’m not even in the blind and a group starts working, they swing a little too close and get blasted, dropped 1 wideon drake.

At this point I am half way to my limit and feeling pretty good. Off in the distance I spot some more ducks, maybe they are mallards I thought. I hit call, the one I got as a door prize at a DU event, and 2 broke off and headed my way. I sat in wait and once they were in range I pulled up and folded the first bird, another grey duck. I hit the second bird, but it went into the death glide and I was never able to find it.

Losing a bird was a deflating event, but I held strong and knew I could finish with the sought after limit. I’m pouring myself another cup of coffee when out of nowhere a widgeon drake and blue bill hen land in the spread. Very slow and gently I put down the coffee and raise up the shotgun. BOOM, BOOM…harvested the drake on the water where he sat and popped the hen as she was getting up.

All in all it was a successful trip, I harvested waterfowl, just as the generations from long ago did.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873097 12/27/11 02:45 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I see a ML can. But I read nothing about it.

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: ducknbass] #2873112 12/27/11 02:50 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
that beer was after the hunt sir...in no way do alcohol and guns mix. My gun was unloaded and in the case at this point.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873125 12/27/11 02:54 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
looks like a great hunt Garrett up

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873160 12/27/11 03:06 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: garrett
It was 4am when I pulled up to the my parking spot, and I was first truck there. I knew it was going to be a good morning for a hunt. I got out of the truck and got my waders on, Cabelas DRYplus warders, they just fit and feel good on. After getting strapped in I started my pack mule routine, Drake XL blind bag over my shoulder, followed by my SBE II, that Avery sling makes it so easy to carry my gun around in the dark. Next was the 4 dozen game winner texas rigged decoys thrown over my back, and off to the magic duck hole I went.

There was a chill in the air, it was about 37.4 degrees that morning. There was also a mist in the air, a real heavy dew had set in, maybe it was rain, I don’t really know. What I do know is that there was something magical about this walk, something about being in the woods and getting ready for a waterfowl hunt that just feels right.

I got to the X on lake X in X, Texas. I gently sat all my gear down and organized things the way I like for an easy set up, but before setting up I sat back and had a cup of Starbucks breakfast blend coffee and just took it all in. After a restful cup of coffee it was time to set up, I tossed out the decoys in a “J-Hook” pattern that an old waterfowl guru taught me. I have never met said guru in person, but I have talked with him on the internet extensively and felt a certain bond that most waterfowlers have for one another.

Oh uh…I see lights coming my way, I flash them off with my 1,000,000 candle power spotlight, and they keep on moving around the bend down the way…today the duck gods smiled upon me, it was going to be a good day., because I didn’t even need my AK

Decoys are set up, now it was time to work on the blind. I walked about 32 yards back into the woods and found some old fallen branches that would make great cover. I drug 4 large pieces to my spot X and set them up like a blind. The cover was perfect, the ducks would never know what hit ‘em. I set up my marsh seat and settled in for LST. I only had about 45min till shooting time, just enough time to set back and enjoy more coffee before the real excitement began.

LST comes around and I’m covered up with ducks, it was still pretty dark but I was positive I was covered with mallards, the king of all ducks. I spent the first 10min of LST watching in awe as these majestic creatures circled and dropped in like nothing I have ever seen. I could not take it any longer and had to start shooting. First two shots fired dropped 2 ducks, upon retrieving them I was surprised to see a grey duck drake and a pintail hen. They were not mallards, but it was still a great start. I’m not even in the blind and a group starts working, they swing a little too close and get blasted, dropped 1 wideon drake.

At this point I am half way to my limit and feeling pretty good. Off in the distance I spot some more ducks, maybe they are mallards I thought. I hit call, the one I got as a door prize at a DU event, and 2 broke off and headed my way. I sat in wait and once they were in range I pulled up and folded the first bird, another grey duck. I hit the second bird, but it went into the death glide and I was never able to find it.

Losing a bird was a deflating event, but I held strong and knew I could finish with the sought after limit. I’m pouring myself another cup of coffee when out of nowhere a widgeon drake and blue bill hen land in the spread. Very slow and gently I put down the coffee and raise up the shotgun. BOOM, BOOM…harvested the drake on the water where he sat and popped the hen as she was getting up.

All in all it was a successful trip, I harvested waterfowl, just as the generations from long ago did.

Very nice! I'm guessing the green container is full of empties....... confused2

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: Gdogg] #2873219 12/27/11 03:28 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Did you use your new speed bead?

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: Dave Speer] #2873226 12/27/11 03:29 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
that thing is junk, I gave it to Taylor

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873248 12/27/11 03:38 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sweet!

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: TreeBass] #2873279 12/27/11 03:49 PM
M
Maxus Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
GREAT STORY!

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: Maxus] #2873296 12/27/11 03:55 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Great read. Sounds like a good morning up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: ducknbass] #2873321 12/27/11 04:09 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
I see a ML can. But I read nothing about it.

they havent inked the sponsorship deal yet...

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: nogeese] #2873430 12/27/11 04:54 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Wow that was an awesome story..

nice green tote

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: sptaylor] #2873474 12/27/11 05:09 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
that green tote is made my rubbermaid, I thought it would be a good idea to keep my gear in one of those for easy loading of my dodge ram truck.

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873491 12/27/11 05:14 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
dodge ram truck.

Uh, I figured you were smarter than that rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873495 12/27/11 05:15 PM
W
Water Turkey2 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
You sir are a true Pro Staffer

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: Judd] #2873497 12/27/11 05:16 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
its an '04 cummins so at least I get a little credit...when people get inside the cab and ask what happened I normally just say "remodeling" or "dodge"

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873504 12/27/11 05:18 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
thats not a dodge in the photo.. I had someone run the vin number.. the photobucket account shows that

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873522 12/27/11 05:25 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
its an '04 cummins so at least I get a little credit...when people get inside the cab and ask what happened I normally just say "remodeling" or "dodge"

You're right...a little credit is given. rofl @ the remodeling. The dash looks like a puzzle roflmao

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: sptaylor] #2873756 12/27/11 07:13 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sptaylor
thats not a dodge in the photo.. I had someone run the vin number.. the photobucket account shows that

YOU SIR ARE WRONG...I have the black hoodie to prove it. its the waterfowl edition Dodge, a topwater like you wouldnt know anything about that truck.

its only offered to true professionals, it came with all teh Drake and Avery decals already in place.

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: garrett] #2873763 12/27/11 07:18 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
ctxj

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: sptaylor] #2873773 12/27/11 07:26 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
ctxj

I don't know if I'd go that far, but given the report.... maybe...

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: Dave Speer] #2873794 12/27/11 07:32 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
that title is saved for another person....he knows who he is, and I would never dream of taking his title

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: Dave Speer] #2873796 12/27/11 07:33 PM
S
sptaylor Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
ctxj

I don't know if I'd go that far, but given the report.... maybe...

Wait til you see his J hook with a reverse c double endo spread with a hand rigged jerk string..

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: sptaylor] #2873846 12/27/11 07:52 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Now I get it.......... nidea
My head hurts.....

Re: Christmas Day with shades of grey and green sprinkles [Re: Gdogg] #2873889 12/27/11 08:05 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
that a boy

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide