Forums46
Topics538,092
Posts9,732,892
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: Armalite260] #2841167 12/15/11 05:10 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Isn't it a rule written somewhere that the first fatal shot fired is the victor? Not meaning the final shot that kills the animal, but the first shot fired that would result in the animal dying?

I know someone better be prepared to fight, and fight dirty, if they wanna claim an animal I killed. It would have nothing to do with the animal itself, but everything to do with the principle. Without principles, we are only a pose-able thumb above the animals anyway.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: waddy] #2841181 12/15/11 05:14 PM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: waddy
Never had that happen but I was dove hunting on a day lease and the guy next to me had a dog that retrieved every dove I shot and took it to his master. It was almost funny. almost...

Now thats a good dog! lol

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: LifetimeLadyHunter] #2841223 12/15/11 05:30 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: LifetimeLadyHunter
I shot her, climbed down out of my stand to go look for my buck and found a huge pile of blood on the ground where I shot him and across the creek.

So you shot him, her or both of them?

Last edited by grout-scout; 12/15/11 05:31 PM.
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: psycho0819] #2841388 12/15/11 06:24 PM
T
tannerlst Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Isn't it a rule written somewhere that the first fatal shot fired is the victor? Not meaning the final shot that kills the animal, but the first shot fired that would result in the animal dying?

I know someone better be prepared to fight, and fight dirty, if they wanna claim an animal I killed. It would have nothing to do with the animal itself, but everything to do with the principle. Without principles, we are only a pose-able thumb above the animals anyway.

the way i see it... if you shot it and it didn't go down and die you didn't kill it. plenty of deer get injured and live to see another day. i'd say the person who actually drops the deer dead is the victor...

now if you shot the deer dead then someone wanted to claim it, then there may be a fight .

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: TF Panther] #2841655 12/15/11 07:51 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: TF Panther
Saw a young girl in Iowa lose about a 180 class buck. Doing a deer drive Deer jumped up in front of here and she hit it with a 20Ga. slug. Deer was slowly trying to get across a Cut corn field he was not going much further when 2 shots rang out from the other side. Buck dropped and the guys on the other side staked the claim. She was very upset. I think she was 18 yo or so.

If that had been one of my daughters, we would have had ourselves a Mexican Standoff there for sure. If she honestly shot it, no one is going to take an animal from my girl.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: Chuck McDonald] #2841753 12/15/11 08:17 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Years back when I was a teen my dad took my buck to the cold storage locker in Bandera, and back then just about every hunter in the county took their deer there or to one other locker there in town.

It wasn't unusual for most of the hunters to go in and out of the locker just to look, or even take their deer out and load it themselves, and common for folks to stop off there after their morning hunt and check to see what was brought in.

Anyway my buck was one of the better ones brought in and had an unusual feature in that the brow tines curled forward and about 6" long which made for a lot of conversation as we dropped it off.

The guy that owned and ran the ice house/beer joint as we called it, said he noticed a guy loading a buck into the back of his pickup and decided to give him a hand loading what he thought was his buck. He then noticed the brow tines that were curled forward and knew then it wasn't his buck and stopped the guy right there, and told the guy he had better put that deer back in the locker and not waste time getting out of there because he was calling the sheriff.

Last edited by Jimbo; 12/15/11 08:34 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: Cody Malone] #2841797 12/15/11 08:33 PM
J
Justin T Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
Not saying it couldn't happen but it sounds like you jumped an injured/dying deer from what was probably his last bedding spot. Once you jump one their adrenaline starts pumping and they are going to go farther

x2

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: Justin T] #2841907 12/15/11 09:09 PM
T
TxTechsan Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Coyotes nearly have a couple of times.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: TxTechsan] #2842525 12/16/11 12:09 AM
L
Lazy W Whitetail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
About 20 years ago I was hunting in northern Colorado and I was shooting across one hill to the other. A nice 4X4 came across the other hill about 300 yards so I took aim and shot. The buck went straight down. I sat there for awhile deciding which way would be the best to get across the deep canyon in between. Before I could get up another hunter walks up to my buck and begins gutting him. I stood up so he could see me and he never once looked in my direction. I was so mad that finally I just left. The best thing about it was that I later killed a 5X5 that was a much better buck than that one.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #2842753 12/16/11 01:18 AM
JakeinTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
I have a co-worker from Michigan. He said that was common practice. When you shot a deer, you didn't give it any time to die or you'd find somebody else gutting it.

Yes, I grew up in Michigan and if you were hunting public land you better make sure the deer is down with one shot. If the deer ran far you were gonna end up having to deal with someone else claiming it.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: Hunter_812] #2842839 12/16/11 01:45 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Hunter_812
Ive always heard that first blood gets the deer, but I've never seen a deer go stolen like that.

I've always heard who puts it down is the one to claim it. Unless the rear or back straps were shot by the 1st hunter roflmao

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: JakeinTX] #2843222 12/16/11 03:31 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
I have a co-worker from Michigan. He said that was common practice. When you shot a deer, you didn't give it any time to die or you'd find somebody else gutting it.

Yes, I grew up in Michigan and if you were hunting public land you better make sure the deer is down with one shot. If the deer ran far you were gonna end up having to deal with someone else claiming it.

That's why folks from down here call them "damned yankees".

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: passthru] #2843349 12/16/11 04:06 AM
B
Bear Charge Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
This happened to my wife. She was sitting in a stand about 200 yds from me. I heard her shoot so I climbed out of the stand and walked towards her. When I got to within about 50 yds, I could hear her arguing with some man. I recognized her tone of voice as the one that usually makes me turn and run so I hid in a pine thicket to see how it would turn out! She told him 3 times that it was her deer and he kept saying it wasn't. Finally, I saw her draw a bead on him with the 30-30. He figured she wasn't kidding at that point and said, "Fine m'am...that's your deer but can I get my saddle off him?"

"Democracy is a sheep and two lions voting. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: grout-scout] #2843416 12/16/11 04:21 AM
L
LifetimeLadyHunter Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
I shot the buck. He ran into the creek and up the other side. The doe was standing there just looking. I shot her and she fell dead on the spot. Went to where the buck was standing when I fired the shot and found a large amount of blood. Tracked him across the dry creek bed and found another large pool of blood on the other side. Followed blood trail and saw grass completely flattened out for about 30 feet. (I now know that it was where the man drug the buck.) Man walks up and asked me if I got one? I think he saw me coming,lifted the deer up and stashed him behind some brush while leading me the opposite direction.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: LifetimeLadyHunter] #2843469 12/16/11 04:38 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Never had an issue with one of mine, but helped a bow hunter track one on our lease one time. He shot the deer fairly early, came back to camp and after a quick meal we headed out to start tracking. The blood trail was pretty steady and we came to the fence at a county road. It was about 60 yards from his stand. The blood trail ended in the middle of the road and there was a large pool of blood almost dead center in the road. The deer was gone, blood trail ended, and tire tracks through the pool.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: txshntr] #2843513 12/16/11 04:55 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have a friend who shot a really nice 160 class WT with a bow around Menard back years ago. He hit the buck but could not find him after looking for hours after dark and he had to get back to work the early the next morning. He told his best friend the next day who also hunted the ranch with him about the deer. His best friend went out the next day after that and found the dead buck. His best friend tagged the buck and mounted it as his own and never told his the guy about it. The guy found out thru another friend about the deer about 6 months later. Lost his deer and a life long friend over the deer and not a word was ever spoken between them again.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: stxranchman] #2843522 12/16/11 05:01 AM
L
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
With a friend like that, who needs enemies? Very low down and dirty! I wouldn't speak to him either.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: tannerlst] #2843580 12/16/11 05:36 AM
W
waddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted By: tannerlst
Originally Posted By: psycho0819

the way i see it... if you shot it and it didn't go down and die you didn't kill it. plenty of deer get injured and live to see another day. i'd say the person who actually drops the deer dead is the victor...

now if you shot the deer dead then someone wanted to claim it, then there may be a fight .

I see your point but you can shoot a deer in a leathal spot and it can still run off a ways before it dies. If a deer is about to die from another hunter's bullet and you finish him off are you really going to claim it?

Last edited by waddy; 12/16/11 05:37 AM.
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: Armalite260] #2844151 12/16/11 03:12 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Yrs. ago in NW Colorado in the Cathedral Mtns. we hunted with a
guy from Fredsbg. who'd been brain injured. He was an excellent
hunter, but very docile person...Some Tullies and a Colorado guy
took two different mule deer from him...both around 30 incs.

Later, we started tagging the deer & hiding the tag in the inner
ear..About a wk. later the Game Warden got them and they got to
donate their Jeep,Guns, and all their hunting equipt. to the State, as well as all their points...Good Riddance..DD

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: Don Dial] #2844397 12/16/11 04:22 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I don't get wanting to mount something that you didn't take yourself. The cool part isn't the mount itself, it's the story that goes with it.

[Linked Image]
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: waddy] #2845608 12/16/11 11:52 PM
L
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
About 12 years ago a 8 point buck ran out of the woods near my stand and I could see he had a broken front leg. I shot and tagged the buck and left him in the woods while I went back to get a skid to put him on to take back to the camp. Whenever I returned, two of the hunters of the lease were standing by the buck. It turns out that one of them made the first shot and had been trailing the deer. When the shooter found the deer shot and tagged he was a little upset. Even though I
actually killed the buck and tagged it, I gave him the deer. I am glad it wasn't a monster buck because the outcome may have been different.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: LifetimeLadyHunter] #2845971 12/17/11 02:27 AM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I would never want a deer that I finished off for another hunter. But, in Texas, the killer is the owner.

Re: Has Anyone Ever Stolen A Deer You Shot [Re: batman] #2846192 12/17/11 04:12 AM
DSP56 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
It happened to me on my parents place last year. I shot a 150" 10 point opening Saturday evening. I went to where I thought the buck went down and couldn't find any blood. After walking around the area for a while I deceided that I had missed. All night it just didn't set right with me. I just knew that I didn't miss that deer. So the next morning I went to my stand and set until around 8:30. I got out of my stand and started looking for blood again. Still nothing. A little bit later my uncle came over to my stand and asked where my deer was? I ( being very embarrassed ) told him that I guess that I had just flat missed. He said " no you didn't." and pointed to a hugh pool of blood on the ground. We followed the trail right over our neighbors fence. I called our neighbor to get permission to cross the fence and look for my deer. He said no problem but told me that that night he and his hired hand were out hog hunting and had spotted a BIG 10 laying under a pecan tree. He said that they thought it was sleeping so they pulled out and sent a different way around him so they wouldn't run him off. Yeah right! He took me to the spot where he said the buck was laying and sure enough there was blood. He said he guessed the buck had wondered off. What he didn't know was that I was setting in my stand at around 5:45 that morning and could see his jeep pull to right where he took me . The jeep stopped for around 10 minutes and then went back to his hired hands house. I
100% sure that his worker went back and got my deer that was just "sleeping " under the pecan tree! bang

Last edited by DSP56; 12/17/11 04:15 AM.

If I had a big horse pistol like that , I would'nt be scared of no Booger Man! - Rooster Cogburn
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide