Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tracking tips [Re: Texas Dan] #2830125 12/12/11 03:40 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I have never found a deer in an area where his movement would have been difficult, such as hard, would-make-a-rabbit-cry thickets. Every deer that I have found that ran some distance was found more in open areas, as if the animal was loooking for a fast and easier exit. And for this reason, I usually avoid the smaller thicket patches when looking for a deer.

Not my experience at all. I have often found them balled up in the thickest spot they could lay down and hide (die).

Re: Tracking tips [Re: dfwroadkill] #2830140 12/12/11 03:43 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Great topic BTW! grin

Re: Tracking tips [Re: Navasot] #2830169 12/12/11 03:50 PM
C
chargercody Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
The blood drops will ususally "point" to the the direction the deer is traveling. If the trail of blood is sparse, carefully examine the few drops that you do find. The drop of blood will have a water drop shape in which it is wide and round on one side and taper down to sort of a narrow point on the other end. The narrow point shows where the deer is traveling.
Helped a buddy track a deer once where this info was useful. We thought the deer was going in a certain direction. After looking at the last drop of blood spotted on the trail, we realized, by the point of the blood drop, that the deer had turned back in the other direction. We started looking in that direction, found more blood, and found the deer. May not have ever happpened if we had not payed attention to the little details.

Re: Tracking tips [Re: Texas Dan] #2830182 12/12/11 03:53 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Here's a question on which I would very much like to get feedback.

I have never found a deer in an area where his movement would have been difficult, such as hard, would-make-a-rabbit-cry thickets. Every deer that I have found that ran some distance was found more in open areas, as if the animal was loooking for a fast and easier exit. And for this reason, I usually avoid the smaller thicket patches when looking for a deer.

Comments?

My comment is one cannot generalize. I have found them in the open,in creeks,in thickets that "would make a rabbit cry",jammed into blowdowns, and everywhere else.In fact,when all else fails I go to water as many have mentioned and check every blowdown as I have found some who seemed to use their last burst of adrenaline to ram themselves into the thickest stuff possible. Again,the blood trail is the key.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Tracking tips [Re: dfwroadkill] #2830379 12/12/11 04:45 PM
S
springfield Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Call me old fashion is you will, but I got to say that unless your tracking your not hunting. Just my opinion, but waiting up a tree above bait is just not sportsmanlike.

Ben Franklin supported the 21 amendment. Was he wrong? Hes my hero. Creator of America
Re: Tracking tips [Re: springfield] #2830436 12/12/11 04:59 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
wtf

...and cavemen would prefer you use rocks...a rifle or bow just wouldn't be hunting to them..

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 12/12/11 05:02 PM.
Re: Tracking tips [Re: Texas Dan] #2830465 12/12/11 05:07 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman
The down on hands & knees approach and knowing the area tends to help out a lot.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm a little color blind and just can't see blood very easily on the forest floor, or because I just don't have the patience. But I'll be quick to admit that I seldom look for blood. I'm also a fast walker after many years of chasing behind coonhounds. Whatever the reason, I usually just try to cover as much ground as possible looking for the deer, focusing first on the direction it ran.

But I have known many guys who could spot a single drop of blood in an instant. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

I can trail the mess out of one and for whatever reason my eyes pick it up easy..even if it's just a small little speck on some pine straw. My problem of locating deer comes when I shoot them a long ways off out in the middle of grown up clearcuts and they fall right where they're standing b/c they fall in mess where the only way you'll find them is if you happen to trip on them.

Re: Tracking tips [Re: rifleman] #2830640 12/12/11 06:07 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
All really good points. IMO best thing to do

When you shoot know where the deer was when you shot
Know where the deer ran into the woods
WAIT at least 30 minutes (unless you drop them in there tracks)
Go to location where it was hit look for blood
Go to location where it ran into woods look for blood
Then follow the trail
If its dark I find that the old Colman lanterns spot blood really well makes it brighter to see

I agree do not have allot of people especially if they do not know what they are doing walking around looking because they can wipe out your blood trail.

I really like the toilet paper or any markings every sign of blood bc you can somewhat predict what general location the deer might be headed if the blood sigh’s stop.

OR!

Just shoot them in the neck and you don’t have to worry about it. Neck shots if you miss o well get back to the range and practice
if you hit em then they drop right there solves all the problems

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Tracking tips [Re: Texas Dan] #2830682 12/12/11 06:23 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Here's a question on which I would very much like to get feedback.

Comments?

I tracked a deer through some very thick stuff this year. He eventually popped back out and ended up in a relatively open area, but he ran through some brush I never would've expected a wounded deer to venture into

Re: Tracking tips [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #2830711 12/12/11 06:32 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter
If its dark I find that the old Colman lanterns spot blood really well makes it brighter to see.

Your comment makes me wonder if old carbide lights might work even better at seeing blood drops in the dark.

I'm not sure you can still buy carbide, much less a carbide lamp.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Tracking tips [Re: pkpxavier] #2830873 12/12/11 07:34 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: pkpxavier
Originally Posted By: HardWired
Not sure about your blood colors. Thunk you are backwards.

Are you a bow hunter? Comparing blood sign between bow-shot and gun-shot deer is like comparing apples to oranges.

I think most would agree the darkest blood originates in the heart and liver. The difference in the destructive power of a bullet and arrow comes into play as well. While an arrow might pass through the lungs with little or no impact on the heart and liver, a bullet is much more likely to create damage in three organs. After all, the term "bleed out" means more to the bow hunter than the gun hunter for sure. With both the heart and lungs now destroyed, the dark red blood from the heart and liver will be more present than when an arrow passes trhough the lungs alone. In essence, bright red blood is that which didn't come from the heart or liver.

Bubbles that appear in the blood is the best indication of a lung shot, no matter the color.

I'm not a bow hunter...however I am a lab tech and I can tell you 10000000% that blood from the heart is BRIGHTER than other blood. It is brighter b/c it is rich in oxygen that it is carrying to tissue. Darker blood is blood that has already deposited it's O2 and is now returning CO2 to the lungs to be expelled from the body and the blood returned to the heart......

The blood going to the heart is deoxygenated (the right heart Ventricle/atria). The blood leaving the heart to the body is very oxygenated (the left heart Ventricle/atria).

So technically, the heart has both. . . .

Last edited by Chris42; 12/12/11 07:35 PM.
Re: Tracking tips [Re: Chris42] #2832789 12/13/11 08:02 AM
Q
quackwacker58 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Q
Best blood tracking "light" IMO is a lantern, something about them makes the blood stand out.

Re: Tracking tips [Re: springfield] #2833512 12/13/11 04:11 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: springfield
Call me old fashion is you will, but I got to say that unless your tracking your not hunting. Just my opinion, but waiting up a tree above bait is just not sportsmanlike.

Indians were some of the best trackers but they chased down buffalo with a horse and shot them at point blank range...just sayin...alot goes into feeders food plots and stands... what would you call sportsman like hunting?

Re: Tracking tips [Re: quackwacker58] #2833658 12/13/11 04:50 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: quackwacker58
Best blood tracking "light" IMO is a lantern, something about them makes the blood stand out.

Are you referring to the original kerosene types, or newer gas/Coleman models?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Tracking tips [Re: Texas Dan] #2833674 12/13/11 04:54 PM
B
BowSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I am color blind and cannot see blood so here's my method.

1- Walk around a little and see if the deer is in plain view

2- Call my buddy and say "come find my deer"

3- Stand back while he blood trails the deer

4- Help him drag it to the truck

I really wish I could see blood because not being able to makes me hold off sometimes when I'm hunting by myself. That's also one reason I tend to take neck shots if I can.

Re: Tracking tips [Re: BowSlayer] #2833697 12/13/11 05:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My tracking tips..

-go slow
-dont step before you look
-mark last sign
-pay attention to where the tail is going, if you have been trailing it for 90 yards and it is following the same trail, chances are if you loose blood for a bit it is going to stay on that trail.
-whatch where it goes when it runs off
-shoot a bullet that will exit it helps
-i think the led lights pick up blood alot better than conventional flashlights
-a second set of eyes usualy helps out... and makes the pack out better up

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Tracking tips [Re: redchevy] #2836060 12/14/11 03:25 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: redchevy

This has been my experience also... up

Re: Tracking tips [Re: redchevy] #2836347 12/14/11 04:36 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
My tracking tips..

-go slow
-mark last sign
-pay attention to where the tail is going, if you have been trailing it for 90 yards and it is following the same trail, chances are if you loose blood for a bit it is going to stay on that trail.

matt

Good stuff there, Coleman lantern also picks up blood well, White light as opposed to yellow light of many falshlights.

I like white papertowels or toilet paper for marking blood sign, it is bio degradable incase you do not pick it up.

If you bumb the deer back out.

Lastly, a dogs nose is much better at following a blood trail than my eyes or about anyone elses. Use a dog to find your deer if one is avaialble

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Tracking tips [Re: kmon11] #2836682 12/14/11 09:34 AM
B
BruiserOutlaw Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Quote:
Use a dog to find your deer if one is available

That's the way.. You would be surprised but you wife's poodle will even track a blood trail.. Makes me want to take my beagle with me.. She is a petting dog, but I have seen her get that nose down in the yard and never lift it.. So pretty sure she has a good sniffer on her..

I know yall all like to wait, but if it's getting dark.. I give em about as long as it takes for me to smoke a cigarette and to get my gear ready to go looking.. I have yet to jump one up.. Thank you lord.. I normally find em piled up under some ceder trees headed toward the fence.. Have had em jump the fence before.. Normally you can tell where cause they stop and bleed real good before they hop over and leave a pile of goo where they hit the other side.. They don't make much farther if they do all that..

This is my best advice.. Don't give up..

When in doubt.. Empty the magazine
Re: Tracking tips [Re: springfield] #2837163 12/14/11 03:11 PM
W
waddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted By: springfield

I've tracked my share of wounded animals and there have ben a lot of factors that came into play. Tree climbing and bait have yet to be an issue.

Re: Tracking tips [Re: kmon11] #2837901 12/14/11 06:31 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: kmon1
My tracking tips..

-go slow
-mark last sign

matt

Good stuff there, Coleman lantern also picks up blood well, White light as opposed to yellow light of many falshlights.

I like white papertowels or toilet paper for marking blood sign, it is bio degradable incase you do not pick it up.

If you bumb the deer back out.

Lastly, a dogs nose is much better at following a blood trail than my eyes or about anyone elses. Use a dog to find your deer if one is avaialble

Coleman lanterns are great. Thye are bright, hang low to the ground when carried, and the light shines downward. You get a lot more light coverage then with a flashlight.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Tracking tips [Re: TX35] #2837914 12/14/11 06:38 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TX35
Sometimes you have to crawl on your hands & knees to find a blood drop, or a single strand of hair! Personally, I have the utmost respect for Deer, & I'll do whatever it takes to find them...

Makes sense in some areas. Most of the place I hunt it would be next to impossible unless you also carried and pair of tweezers and did not mind feeling like a pin cushion when you got back to camp. Not to mention the rocks and snakes can still active in warm years. I have no problem with sankes when I am looking down on them.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Tracking tips [Re: Texas Dan] #2837921 12/14/11 06:39 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'm sure I'll think of more but I buy glow sticks and hang them in trees to mark last sign, when night tracking.

And don't get too many people involved.

Oh and a spray bottle of peroxide helps too sometimes... if you spray it on blood it will foam up and turn orange. Where we hunt there are lits of little weeds with dark red leaves on the ground and sometimes rocks with dark red in them.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide