Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: Curly] #2797878 11/30/11 08:31 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
What do you mean based on what? Your question makes no sense.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: KWood_TSU] #2797894 11/30/11 08:37 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

Sorry you didn't comprehend it. wink

I just don't get how you know that meat hunters are really after antlers.

Last edited by Curly; 11/30/11 08:39 PM.
Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: Curly] #2797898 11/30/11 08:38 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Curly

Sorry you didn't comprehend it.

My bad, but how did I know that would be your reply.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: KWood_TSU] #2797905 11/30/11 08:39 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Curly

Sorry you didn't comprehend it.

My bad, but how did I know that would be your reply.

up cheers

Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: Lazy L] #2797991 11/30/11 09:11 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
It's been 5 years since I've spent a dime on a lease, so maybe I shouldn't even join the fray...but because the reason I stopped leasing was due to the "brown and down" mentality of the "hunters" I dealt with on the last few leases, I'll go ahead and say my piece 

In my last 6 years on 2 East Tx leases, I shot 1 buck...a 4 1/2 year old wide 4 point. No brow tines, only small forks at the tips. I also saw numerous 1 1/2-2 1/2 year old 6 and 8 points, with beautiful basket racks, that had great potential. And watched them for hours on end...just waiting for them to get older. Only to get to camp and see them hanging in a tree, with some lame brained idiot from a stand or two over who was whooping and hollering about the "nice" buck he had just shot! Really?!? Ugh...it sickened me that these foolish people cared only about a "buck" instead of a mature buck! 

I'm by no means a trophy hunter...quite the contrary. I've killed many doe, for meat, and allowed the bucks to mature until it was something that I would be willing to show others. Does that mean I agree with the 13" rule? Yes and no smile go ahead and grab the popcorn, fellas

Reasons against: I've seen some MONSTER 8-9 pointers with extremely thick, chocolate racks that went straight up! The biggest buck I've ever seen in front of me was in Polk County off of 356 headed towards Trinity on Thanksgiving week in 2005...an absolute bruiser near Sebastopol, Tx, standing on the side of the road. And it would have been hard to tell me he wasn't mature, yet he MAY have been 11" at the most. Yet he most definitely was a 125-130" despite no width. I thought he was a "sting" buck, turned around to see for myself, an the wife and I actually stopped, rolled the window down, and until she spoke, he never moved. But when he bolted and ran 20 yards and hit the brush, my blood was pumping like crazy at the reality that he was indeed a real, live brute! Yet by AR regulations, no one can shoot him. Yet a yearling spike is fair game??? I'm of the understanding that the spike (one slick horn) exception is technically for older mature deer who will not be anything more than a slick on one side. I've seen them myself and taken them. 

Reasons for: the problem you run into is not many people in a 1 buck county (for those who say that lowering the limit is the answer) will take that as their 1 buck, and he will pass his genes on until dying of natural causes. Sadly, most people spending $1000+ to hunt aren't going to "waste" their tag on a spike. Therefore TPW raises the limit to 2 bucks and the idiots shoot a 13"+ and a yearling spike. But reality is this...it's a lose-lose situation. Management minded hunters will always be management minded, and the idiots (notice I didn't say "meat hunters" because TRUE meat hunters will take the bad gene spikes and the doe and let good gene bucks mature and spread their seed) will always be idiots...nothing will change that. Therefore TPWD is TRYING to help the majority of hunters have a decent herd of quality, mature bucks. 

So I'm not gonna vote totally against the AR rules. I've seen more mature bucks being taken this year that people aren't having to 'sneak' off of the lease from embarrassment. If you've ever felt that you couldn't show a buck to anyone, you already know you shouldn't have shot it. But many men have done that very thing. I've got plenty of relatives who shoot first and worry later...and when I was 12-13 years old I did the same. But after a few years of spending hard earned money on a lease, I grew to hate that mentality. I'm now in my mid 30's, and next year plan on finding a lease and joining back in with the crowd. Now that the AR's are in place, I'll be able to go to camp without wanting to beat someone senseless smile

Okay, that was a little lengthy...I'll try to keep it shorter next time

Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: Savage388] #2798044 11/30/11 09:34 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Savage388
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Savage388
I have said it before and I will say it again. ARs have worked for my little section of the world in SW Nacogdoches Co. Texas has 254 counties of which, 113 have antler restrictions in place. That leaves 141 counties open to shoot any buck. Feel free to look for a place to hunt in one of those counties.

Where you at in SW Nacogdoches County? We're about as SW as you can get popcorn

Just across the river on HWY 7 W. Loco Creek bottom in the Seed Tick Community.

that's some pretty country.. we're spread out around Chireno.

Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: TxDispatcher] #2798120 11/30/11 10:01 PM
L
Lazy L Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
It's been 5 years since I've spent a dime on a lease, so maybe I shouldn't even join the fray...but because the reason I stopped leasing was due to the "brown and down" mentality of the "hunters" I dealt with on the last few leases, I'll go ahead and say my piece 

In my last 6 years on 2 East Tx leases, I shot 1 buck...a 4 1/2 year old wide 4 point. No brow tines, only small forks at the tips. I also saw numerous 1 1/2-2 1/2 year old 6 and 8 points, with beautiful basket racks, that had great potential. And watched them for hours on end...just waiting for them to get older. Only to get to camp and see them hanging in a tree, with some lame
brained idiot from a stand or two over who was whooping and hollering about the "nice" buck he had just shot! Really?!? Ugh...it sickened me that these foolish people cared only about a "buck" instead of a mature buck! 

I'm by no means a trophy hunter...quite the contrary. I've killed many doe, for meat, and allowed the bucks to mature until it was something that I would be willing to show others. Does that mean I agree with the 13" rule? Yes and no smile go ahead and grab the popcorn, fellas

Reasons against: I've seen some MONSTER 8-9 pointers with extremely thick, chocolate racks that went straight up! The biggest buck I've ever seen in front of me was in Polk County off of 356 headed towards Trinity on Thanksgiving week in 2005...an absolute bruiser near Sebastopol, Tx, standing on the side of the road. And it would have been hard to tell me he wasn't mature, yet he MAY have been 11" at the most. Yet he most definitely was a 125-130" despite no width. I thought he was a "sting" buck, turned around to see for myself, an the wife and I actually stopped, rolled the window down, and until she spoke, he
never moved. But when he bolted and ran 20 yards and hit the brush, my blood was pumping like crazy at the reality that he was indeed a real, live brute! Yet by AR regulations, no one can shoot him. Yet a yearling spike is fair game??? I'm of the understanding that the spike (one slick horn) exception is technically for older mature deer who will not be anything more than a slick on one side. I've seen them myself and taken them. 

Reasons for: the problem you run into is not many people in a 1 buck county (for those who say that lowering the limit is the answer) will take that as their 1 buck, and he will pass his genes on until dying of natural causes. Sadly, most people spending $1000+ to hunt aren't going to "waste" their tag on a spike. Therefore TPW raises the limit to 2 bucks and the idiots shoot a 13"+ and a yearling spike. But reality is this...it's a lose-lose situation. Management minded hunters will always be management minded, and the idiots (notice I didn't say "meat hunters" because TRUE meat hunters will take the bad gene spikes and the doe and let good gene bucks mature and spread their seed) will always be idiots...nothing will change that. Therefore TPWD is TRYING to help the majority of hunters have a decent herd of quality, mature bucks. 

So I'm not gonna vote totally against the AR rules. I've seen more mature bucks being taken this year that people aren't having to 'sneak' off of the lease from embarrassment. If you've ever felt that you couldn't show a buck to anyone, you already know you shouldn't have shot it. But many men have done that very thing. I've got plenty of relatives who shoot first and worry later...and when I was 12-13 years old I did the same. But after a few years of spending hard earned money on a lease, I grew to hate that mentality. I'm now in my mid 30's, and next year plan on finding a lease and joining back in with the crowd. Now that the AR's are in place, I'll be able to go to camp without wanting to beat
someone senseless smile

Actually I think some people are glad your not on a lease anymore. You are actually the type of person we kick off a lease
First off if you bag on someone for what they shot then you have lost or never knew what hunting is really about. Sure if you shoot a young buck at our camp you gonna get razzed a little bit about it but I will be the first to help you clean it and load in the truck for you and hand you a beer. If a certain deer gets you all giggly inside but is not what one person would call "mature" so be it. Guess what there are 3,999,999 more deer left in Texas.

Calling people idiots because they don't share the same beliefs, only makes you look like the idiot.

"Hey running' buddy what'll say to a twelve pack"

Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: TxDispatcher] #2798143 11/30/11 10:09 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher

In my last 6 years on 2 East Tx leases, I shot 1 buck...a 4 1/2 year old wide 4 point. No brow tines, only small forks at the tips. I also saw numerous 1 1/2-2 1/2 year old 6 and 8 points, with beautiful basket racks, that had great potential. And watched them for hours on end...just waiting for them to get older. Only to get to camp and see them hanging in a tree, with some lame brained idiot from a stand or two over who was whooping and hollering about the "nice" buck he had just shot! Really?!? Ugh...it sickened me that these foolish people cared only about a "buck" instead of a mature buck! 

Reasons against: I've seen some MONSTER 8-9 pointers with extremely thick, chocolate racks that went straight up! The biggest buck I've ever seen in front of me was in Polk County off of 356 headed towards Trinity on Thanksgiving week in 2005...an absolute bruiser near Sebastopol, Tx, standing on the side of the road. And it would have been hard to tell me he wasn't mature, yet he MAY have been 11" at the most. Yet he most definitely was a 125-130" despite no width. I thought he was a "sting" buck, turned around to see for myself, an the wife and I actually stopped, rolled the window down, and until she spoke, he never moved. But when he bolted and ran 20 yards and hit the brush, my blood was pumping like crazy at the reality that he was indeed a real, live brute! Yet by AR regulations, no one can shoot him. Yet a yearling spike is fair game??? I'm of the understanding that the spike (one slick horn) exception is technically for older mature deer who will not be anything more than a slick on one side. I've seen them myself and taken them. 

So I'm not gonna vote totally against the AR rules. I've seen more mature bucks being taken this year that people aren't having to 'sneak' off of the lease from embarrassment. If you've ever felt that you couldn't show a buck to anyone, you already know you shouldn't have shot it. But many men have done that very thing. I've got plenty of relatives who shoot first and worry later...and when I was 12-13 years old I did the same. But after a few years of spending hard earned money on a lease, I grew to hate that mentality. I'm now in my mid 30's, and next year plan on finding a lease and joining back in with the crowd. Now that the AR's are in place, I'll be able to go to camp without wanting to beat someone senseless smile

I think next time you should get on a lease with like-minded individuals.

Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2798407 11/30/11 11:26 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Trust me, I learned my lesson well Bill...I joined those due to family connections (ex-family now) and while I enjoyed the time with my in-laws, the rest of the group wasn't all that great. Thus the reason I've taken a few years off. Most leases of like minded individuals in East Texas have waiting lists. But I'd rather wait than not enjoy myself

I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: tpwd/ar laws in my opinion [Re: Curly] #2803238 12/02/11 02:30 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
If TPWD were really concerned, not just a money gathering State
entity...It would make it mandatory to kill spikes (free) and doe