Print Thread
Can you change deer feeding habit? #2788539 11/28/11 02:48 AM
T
tennessee_broncos Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I saw a buck on my camera for 2 weeks straight.. The first few weeks when we first set out the feeder.. I haven't seen him in about 2 weeks though.. Anyways, when he does come in he only comes in like at 1-2 am.. Anyway to break them out of that cycle so they come more in the day? Or is that up to the weather, moon, rut, ETC?

Last edited by tennessee_broncos; 11/28/11 02:49 AM.

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: tennessee_broncos] #2788560 11/28/11 02:53 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Difficult to change their pattern, but you can adjust the amount of feed you have on the ground.

Turn the feeder down until the deer are eating all the corn before dark. Make sure that you take into account any corn that may be remaining after the morning feed. Adjust it so that the deer leave around dark on average and it takes away his option to feed at night.

Good Luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: txshntr] #2788577 11/28/11 02:57 AM
T
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Thanks txshntr.. Dang I just set it for more often b/c I didn't want them to run out, but that makes sense.. I had it on 4 sec then put it back to 7.. When I first put out the feeder my friend let me borrow his camera... I saw the buck and several doe for two weeks.. After that my friend took the camera back to his land and I waited 2 weeks and got my own camera.. That has been about a week or so. I haven't seen the buck on the new camera yet.. So for a total of 3 weeks he is MIA.. I have seen does since I have put out the camera, but not the buck.. I set the feeder to 7 sec today and wont be back out there until Tues or Wednesday... I hope that is okay until I can change it back. So would you set it for 4 again, or lower?? See I am hunting a SMALL creek area due to cows on other side so I might only have ONE buck period to get beside going to other places friends invite me to... With that said, the buck comes it way to late, that is why I need suggestions.

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: tennessee_broncos] #2789529 11/28/11 03:04 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Without knowing your area, it would be difficult to say, but I would bet that you have more than that one buck coming through. Don't rely soley on the cameras. They are a great tool, but they do not catch everything. If you have doe, other bucks will wonder through to check things out, even if the deer you have on camera is the dominant one.

I would turn it down to see if you can get the deer to feed more during daylight hours. I would also check around for other food sources besides food. See if you can find something that they are hitting pretty hard like acorns, walnuts, etc. Whatever is in your area. If the buck is moving at night, he will get up sometime during the day. The trick is finding out when he is getting up and where he goes.

Good Luck

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: txshntr] #2789984 11/28/11 05:10 PM
J
justbreezin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Their pattern is more related to food sources available to them in most cases. Not sure of where you hunt, but in the last few weeks there has been some rain which has created other food sources (green grass) that wasn't available to deer previously. Therefore, deer will stay in cover to feed on this new food source. Deer like a variety in their diet, especially when new to them. That's primarily why they hit deer feeders really hard when first put out or filled up.

But, other factors such as moon, rut, etc will effect their pattern. I would find areas that they bed in and travel to and from and setup a stand/blind there.

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: justbreezin] #2790003 11/28/11 05:17 PM
B
ban-d Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Nope he's big for a reason

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: ban-d] #2790034 11/28/11 05:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
On average, deer feed roughly every twelve hours. There's a chance, albeit a slight one, you might catch him at the feeder during the middle of the day.

Also, old and wise bucks will often scent check food plots and feeders by passing by them from a safe distance on their downwind side. You might consider placing a stand 100 yards or so on the northwest or southeast side of the feeder (taking into account our prevailing wind directions). In fact, you might even find a lightly used trail the buck has been using to do so.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: tennessee_broncos] #2790035 11/28/11 05:26 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Well I'd say YOU can change it by being there and disturbing his night feeding, but then he might just leave all together.
I say that because if they are feeding during the day, they'll change to night REAL QUICK if you keep disturbing them!

I'd say your best bet is to be there hunting during the rut and he'll probably come around looking for love every now and then. You just have to be there and be ready.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #2790266 11/28/11 06:35 PM
M
Mambajeep Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
He'll be back if not shot, he probably off rutting is my best guess. Adjust the time like was suggested, where there is no corn to be left at night. The colder it gets and more of the food is gone the more likely he is to show up

Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers
Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: Mambajeep] #2790320 11/28/11 06:48 PM
T
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Thanks guys, I will try all of that.

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: tennessee_broncos] #2794869 11/29/11 11:14 PM
T
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Well I went and checked my camera today. I cleared it out Sunday. I had changed it to 7 sec in the am and pm... Well when I checked the camera I had doe at 6:45am which is perfect.. I had some does even about 3 during the day.. Nothing at night. I went ahead and changed it still to 4 sec shoot in the morning and 2 sec in the evening so I wouldn't leave corn for them to eat during the night.. Did I do the right thing to change it or should I have left it? Didn't see my buck. It has been 3 weeks or more since I have seen him. BUT, since I had 3-4 deer in a single pic, does that mean the buck has to be around or soon to follow? Since I am new I don't know if rut has passed or not.. I hunt in Lamar Co.

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: tennessee_broncos] #2794957 11/29/11 11:47 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
The buck could still be in the area and just not interested in corn. Remember that just because he doesn't go by your camera, doesn't mean he isn't there. There is also a good chance that another buck will come through to check the does.

Still too early to worry. When the rut cools down, the bucks will too. There usually seems to be a little lull in activity and they go back to feeding some.

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: txshntr] #2794976 11/29/11 11:53 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: txshntr
The buck could still be in the area and just not interested in corn. Remember that just because he doesn't go by your camera, doesn't mean he isn't there. There is also a good chance that another buck will come through to check the does.

Still too early to worry. When the rut cools down, the bucks will too. There usually seems to be a little lull in activity and they go back to feeding some.

Hey Tenn, you want to take advice from a guy that couldn't even kill a buck while it was caged up for him in Kansas? roflmao bolt

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: grout-scout] #2794997 11/30/11 12:02 AM
T
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
So you are saying don't worry about not seeing the buck, it is early in the season? I just do not want to miss a chance at the buck. Still have my friend taking me back to where I killed my doe Sat.... Grout-Scout: That is between you guys smile I will stay out of the missed caged up buck in Kansas smile

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: grout-scout] #2795059 11/30/11 12:24 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Hey Tenn, you want to take advice from a guy that couldn't even kill a buck while it was caged up for him in Kansas? roflmao bolt

trout if only

Tenn...you never know when he might show up so your best bet is to be in the woods as much as possible. I have deer that I have watched at the same stand for four years, I have deer that I have pics at 4 different feeders and two of those are over 3 miles away, and I have seen a buck come out one time for a photo op and never be seen again. That is what I love about hunting, you just never know.

Try to hunt the wind, try not to push the area and be patient...you will get ya one up

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: txshntr] #2795078 11/30/11 12:32 AM
H
HAWKEYE911 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I also adjusted my feeders about 10 days ago and will get back to the lease for 5 days next Monday. I also put out an Active Scrape drip bottle that is supposed to help make the bucks come to it during the day since that is the only time it drips. Will be interested to see if it changed their habits any at all.

Support Your Local Junkyard Dawgs M/C
Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: txshntr] #2795094 11/30/11 12:36 AM
M
Mambajeep Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
The rut could last 2 months or more Depending on the age, they cycle every 28 days or so. If he was a mature buck he could be miles away. The does being fed and staying close, more than likely he will be back. Good luck, let's us know if he shows back up.

Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers
Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: HAWKEYE911] #2795096 11/30/11 12:37 AM
T
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Coassack Hawkeye: Let me know about that... Where did you get that strip? Something you can get at walmart? TXSHNTR: I knwo the only way for sure to know is be out there as much as possible. I try to get out there but it is HARD when we have an 18 month old daughter and the wife needs help and gripes b/c on her "day off" from work she has to watch our daugther by herself in the morning and evening.. So I try.. Sometimes it is only once a week.. We are both teachers so I am hoping during Christmas break when she is at daycare I can stay out most of the time in the blind smile

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: tennessee_broncos] #2795228 11/30/11 01:19 AM
H
HAWKEYE911 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: tennessee_broncos
Coassack Hawkeye: Let me know about that... Where did you get that strip? Something you can get at walmart? TXSHNTR: I knwo the only way for sure to know is be out there as much as possible. I try to get out there but it is HARD when we have an 18 month old daughter and the wife needs help and gripes b/c on her "day off" from work she has to watch our daugther by herself in the morning and evening.. So I try.. Sometimes it is only once a week.. We are both teachers so I am hoping during Christmas break when she is at daycare I can stay out most of the time in the blind smile

Once I get back next week, I will be posting the results of my little lab experiment. Where do you live and what area do you hunt in ? Just curious. Oh, and got it at Walmart. It is Wildlife Innovations Active Scrape. Comes with a drip bottle and a bottle of scent. $20

Support Your Local Junkyard Dawgs M/C
Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: HAWKEYE911] #2795404 11/30/11 02:00 AM
T
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I live in Paris, TX... Hunt Lamar County/Red River

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: tennessee_broncos] #2796021 11/30/11 04:49 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I understand how tough it is to get in the woods. I have a 3 year old and a bun in the oven. What I was getting at is that there is no magic item that will make it happen for you. Takes patience, time and usually experience to learn the habits of the deer in your area and what works and doesn't work. That is what I love about hunting.

Kansas has been a new experience for me. I have hunted the same place in Texas for around 18 years and have learned alot about the deer in that area. I have gone on hunts in other places in Texas, but Kansas has been a new experience and it is like learning to hunt all over again.

This is one of the reasons that I like to talk with new hunters. It is like looking back to when I started hunting and it is awesome to see the passion and desire to learn. You will learn from your experiences and from gathering as much info from other hunters as you can, but when the chance to take that buck comes you will know you did everything you could to have a good shot at it.

Word of warning...the off-season can be a killer rofl

Keep us updated up

Re: Can you change deer feeding habit? [Re: txshntr] #2796362 11/30/11 12:57 PM
T
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
txshntr: Congrats on the one on the way!!!! I remember that feeling like yesterday. Nothing like when a child is born. I will deff keep you updated. Probally go back this weekend if I get a chance. Just upsets me the doe are back on camera AFTER doe season is over smile Figures.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide