Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” #275950 12/13/07 02:40 PM
N
NorthTexasHunt Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs”

There are many Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs across the country now. Hunters vary in monetary means and purpose, and should learn to respect each other’s positions. The North Texas Region including Fannin County is a strategic waterfowl migration gateway during the winter.

The affluence and size of populace in the DFW area has added to the hunter population in the North Texas Region, making it an ideal area to promote both species populations and the sport of waterfowl hunting.

Being a THF member for some time and following many argumentative threads here, one can’t help but to observe the riff between "outfitters" and "true wilderness hunters and guides". Much of the disparity there seems to come from differing perspectives judging the “other side” without consideration for the other’s position.

Before I go any further here though, let’s all understand that my time here is not paid for by my client, anyone else and in no way am I compensated, or expect to be. Yes, I am a webmaster for a prominent hunting club, but I am also an engineer, award winning author, patent holder and experienced marketer. All that buys me here is that I happen to be in a position with inside information to the waterfowl hunting world in a strategic geographically key positioned North Texas Gateway during hunting season. I spend a good amount of time peering out from that North Texas Regional Lookout Tower, reporting on what is coming down for the rest of Texas. That is my time and my space, my "dime", trying to provide a valuable service here, and it chaps my a__ to get a thread locked up because a bunch of hunters don’t understand each others positions, nor want to help each other. It’s like kindergarten all over again! Maybe no one even read the waterfowl population reports, there are plenty of birds to go around.

I generally enjoy THF and have only endeavored trying to help by posting live and accurate Field Reports from that position, reporting only unbiasedly, as to help other hunters in this forum. We have only reported accurate information, including slow times during record breaking heat thru the first half of the split. There has been no marketing fluff.

Much of the contention between factions here is based in a disparity of understanding, and the inevitable monetization of hunting in a geographically prime region.

“Economies of Scale” dictate that a patent attorney, business owner, or corporate executive who’s personal time is worth $500/hr+ is not about to spend 100 hours scouting around in the sticks, expending $50,000 worth of time, just to take their kids out to an unsafe place overrun by public hunters overshooting each other in public places.

Those may be inflammatory words for some here, but let’s try and understand other’s views and the monetization of hunting in the North Texas Region.

Sure, change is tough on many, but smart independents will understand the game at hand, understand that it is a natural and repeated course for hunters all over the world under similar circumstances and adapt. There's a lot of room for adaptation by creative, knowledgeable and smart guides.

There are plenty of birds to go around and more room to adapt than many seem to think.

Outfitters that spend mega-dollars opening key geographic migration gateways, benefit everyone.

Ken

Last edited by NorthTexasHunt; 12/13/07 03:09 PM.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275951 12/13/07 03:12 PM
B
biz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
10 years ago this area wintered 10% of texas water fowl,now that number is 5% this came from the du biolagist for this reagion,it is my opp. that food source and pressure has had a great affect in these numbers,i know alot of hunters dont get along and it should'nt be that way but there are some things that will never change,waterfowl are a passion for some of us and a meal ticket for others,that will never change,give your report i will stay out of it unless i have something good to say......

PULL the TRIGGER, SHOOT to KILL!!!
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: biz] #275952 12/13/07 03:32 PM
N
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
biz,

This is going to be a factual thread (if possible). You made a statement that bird populations have decreased in the North Texas region in a relatively short time by 50%..from 10% to 5%... Please don't make those kind of statements without citing authoritive sources. I look forward to viewing your sources.

Thanks,

Ken

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275953 12/13/07 04:53 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

“Economies of Scale” dictate that a patent attorney, business owner, or corporate executive who’s personal time is worth $500/hr+ is not about to spend 100 hours scouting around in the sticks, expending $50,000 worth of time, just to take their kids out to an unsafe place overrun by public hunters overshooting each other in public places.

For someone that does not enjoy the scouting aspect of hunting I would agree. This may be hard for you to understand, but many enjoy scouting and the challenge of hunting public, I am one. There are plenty of public places to hunt that is safe, where you can find solitude. You have to get away from the metromess and stay away from places blabbed about on internet forums , but they are out there. If I was loaded with $$, I would have a bad azz boat, a private plan to get away from the metromess with a few lake houses around the country, and I would be out looking for ducks, I like that part of hunting, even if it means I shoot less ducks. I would also have private place, and a may even be a part of an “Exclusive Club”, and I would go on a lot of guided hunts as well.

But that is just me, I don’t expect everyone to be like me, and don’t criticize those that don’t think like me or hunt like me. But I do not think money is the sole reason why everyone hunts public, not everyone feels challenged enough by drive up to a blind on every hunt and shooting, I’m one, it is nice every now and then, but not all the time.. Even if you do not have much money, from a financial perspective, if you add up all the cost of scouting etc.., you are better off (financially) paying a guide where he has “Economies of Scale”. Paying a guide/outfitter is cheaper than doing it yourself, even for those that are not loaded with $.

Just my thoughts on all that.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Guy] #275954 12/13/07 05:30 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Why is their PERSONAL time worth any more than mine?

Now their business time might be $500/hr. And they may not allow themselves as much personal time due to their career chioce. But their personal time and mine is worth the same.

Do they charge their kids $500/hour to go out in the yard and play catch, read a book with them, attend their soccer games???

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: PHishTX] #275955 12/13/07 05:36 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

My point is that the "personal time worth" has nothing to do with it if you are doing what you like to do, if you like scouting as much as shooting, you will scout with your personal time, otherwise you won't.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Guy] #275956 12/13/07 05:44 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
That wasn't directed at you Guy. (darn quick reply thing)

I knew what you were saying.

Last edited by PHishTX; 12/13/07 05:47 PM.

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Guy] #275957 12/13/07 05:57 PM
N
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
LOL,

This may be a fun thread.

You can bet I pay a "premium" to live the way I do, out in the country, in the edge of the Sam Houston National Forest. I couldn't possibly live in "the city" with 6 parrots, 5 big bad a___d dogs "tending business" day and night, 8 cats, 20 "free ranged" chickens and a turkey.

I have the freedom to go out and pop a big bad possum attacking my chickens at 3am with a couple 300 grain magnum hollow point rounds from an Italian made 45 caliber EAA (European American Arms) all forged "Witness Model", without the sheriff's department coming out thinking that someone got murdered.

We all pay for our "freedoms", they don't come "free".

I have to drive 120 miles round trip + to visit with any of my clients in Houston.

Freedom isn't free. You pay for what you want to experience. That is the way it is.

Ken

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275958 12/13/07 06:05 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yeah, I agree with you I think. Is your point we all make sacrifices to do what we want to do? I actually hate living in the city, I’m looking to get out, I will make the sacrifice as well, that just me tho.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: PHishTX] #275959 12/13/07 06:05 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

Now their business time might be $500/hr. And they may not allow themselves as much personal time due to their career chioce. But their personal time and mine is worth the same.

Do they charge their kids $500/hour to go out in the yard and play catch, read a book with them, attend their soccer games???

Because they would rather spend their time with their kids and work and pay for the convience to hunt rather than walking/boating around the sticks scouting for ducks the day before. They can just drive up and hunt and get back home. What are you trying to argue about?

There are a ton of factors that reduce duck populations. The sand company up on the Red River has destroyed marsh habitat that used to hold tons of ducks. You can thank suburbia home builders and construction for the use of that sand. How about the tons of new water holes created each year by people on their land, golf courses, and subdivisions? Ducks have tons of places to go in north Texas now.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Txduckman] #275960 12/13/07 06:12 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Because they would rather spend their time with their kids and work and pay for the convience to hunt rather than walking/boating around the sticks scouting for ducks the day before. They can just drive up and hunt and get back home. What are you trying to argue about?

Good post, I agree with that, there is no wrong answer when you do what you like to do, hunt the way you like to hunt, etc.. as long has it is legal

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: PHishTX] #275961 12/13/07 07:37 PM
R
roadgoeson20 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

For the same reason that this same person is more likely to hire out labor around the house than do the work himself on his few days off. You are 100 percent right that it is his career choice which limits his time for these activities, but it is also his career choice which has enabled him to pay these "unheard of prices" for guided hunts and exclusive clubs. Like it or not, not everyones time is worth the same monetarily. Welcome to the United States of America. If you want a better life, go out and make it for yourselves. Isn't capitalism great. Its a market driven economy. I'm not sure where or what your argument is here. That someone would say his time is worth more than yours? You alone can put a value on your time my friend.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: roadgoeson20] #275962 12/13/07 08:17 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I asked a simple question to Pintail farms.

What do you have to say about the goverment coming after you guys for DESTRYOING wetlands?

For everyone that is upset about pintail holding all the birds... Don't worry about 1/2 the water on the place is illegal, and will be put back to normal.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ducknbass] #275963 12/13/07 08:30 PM
Twisted Mallard HC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
It is always nice to see comments on people that just do not know what they are talking about. Good job!!! It would be nice for you to get your facts straight before you start saying things you do not have all the facts on. Actually the lakes are exactly the size they were on the plans we received from the engineers. The engineers made some mistakes and yes we did add to the levees and have since worked it out. We did indeed do a couple of things to the property that we had to change. However, how can we be destroying the wetlands if we are enhancing them? You must be a bright cookie. What we have done should help everyone in the area have better hunting. As everyone knows there is less and less habitat in the area. It used to be farm land with various crops. Peanuts corn etc... Over the years alot of the land has been turned into cattle land therefore loosing the habitat. Thus, less area for birds. We do hold alot of birds and that is good for everyone. Some birds come in during the day and some roost and leave in the morning heading out to other areas which is good for everyone. So, please do not sling mud against what we have done because we have created something that everyone should benefit from. Sounds like to me you are alittle jealous. If anyone would like to explore what we have check us out at www.pintailfarms.com. Lots of good info and pictures.

Come Hunt with us for a great hunt. We can customize our hunts specifically for you.....
www.TwistedMallardHuntingClub.com
Rockie Martin
214-478-5047

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: roadgoeson20] #275964 12/13/07 08:40 PM
N
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Hopefully we can all agree this is all about (all photos after the split 2007):

Your daughters first speckled bellied goose:

Your son's time of a lifetime, blowing out "a little manhood" and enjoying his time with dad:

Hunters having a great time:

A 7000sq/ft hunting lodge with adequate space to sleep up to 54 hunters, with facilities for corporate meetings between hunts:

Sunsets from the back porch, while enjoying the comrodary and companionship of other hunters:

That's what this post is all about. There's another side to hunting than many experience. Let's all give each other their own space with understanding of each other's place. There's room for everyone and plenty of birds to go around.

Ken

Last edited by NorthTexasHunt; 12/13/07 08:52 PM.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ducknbass] #275965 12/13/07 08:40 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all

it doesnt say to the flag of mexico, it says united states of america; you can complain all day long aint nobody going to listen because its your right to complain and mine not to listen.

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: bhunter] #275966 12/13/07 08:56 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Not complaining. You can call me whatever you would like.

But you know the truth, and you danced all around it.
My momma taught me not to lie, I guess yours did not.

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ducknbass] #275967 12/13/07 09:01 PM
B
bhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
i dont even have to respond you said it all my friend

ROY

B.O.H.I.C.A.

"BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!!!!"

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY"

http://www.parkerpwr.com/
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275968 12/13/07 09:11 PM
R
rj45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Quote:

patent attorney, business owner, or corporate executive who’s personal time is worth $500/hr+ is not about to spend 100 hours scouting around in the sticks,

Ken

Because these people are so much better then the rest of us.

NRA, DU & DW Member
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: rj45] #275969 12/13/07 09:17 PM
N
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
sorry you got lost rj45,

Somehow you didn't catch the "spirit" or dialog of my post here. I didn't, haven't and wouldn't come across that way. Please do not take my post out of context that way.

Ken

Last edited by NorthTexasHunt; 12/13/07 09:20 PM.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275970 12/13/07 09:22 PM
Tracker
Tracker
I agree...

Come Hunt with us for a great hunt. We can customize our hunts specifically for you.....
Rockie Martin
214-478-5047

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: NorthTexasHunt] #275971 12/13/07 09:23 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Actually, that looks like a really nice place to me!! Maybe we should have our next THF duck hunt there!!

Can you work us a discount, say $400 discount a person?

J/k , really, that is a nice place, and the price of $500 pre gun is really not that high I guess for a really nice place/lodge, etc… Some hotels are more than that. Way out of my price range, but I may treat myself to something like that one day, who knows!!!

One thing I have to say tho, everyone complaining about outfitters/guides, how they are bad for duck hunting, etc…Why not look for solutions instead of complaining? Complaining does nothing. Why not work with waterfowl organizations (DU, Delta, etc..), ban together, lobby for legislation to address some of the issues that have been discussed on here (like baiting is not stiff enough fines, etc..), maybe guides should have licenses, inspection of properties, etc..

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Guy] #275972 12/13/07 09:30 PM
Tracker
Tracker
We could work out something...

Rockie Martin
214-478-5047

Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: ducknbass] #275973 12/13/07 09:39 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Jesus, some of the crap in this thread is one tinfoil hat away from conspiracy dorkdom.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Understanding “Exclusive Waterfowl Hunting Clubs” [Re: Threecurl] #275974 12/13/07 09:51 PM
N
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Threecurl,

Believe it or not we are having a real discussion here.

Take the time to view video footage from last year during the cut: "Duck Man".

Famous artists (The Duckmen) sing about the duck swirls - vortices of ducks coming in... How many actually get to hunt or even witness that occurance?

Ken

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide