Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BBQ] #2710538 11/01/11 12:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BBQ
No elk in Diablos in 1923. They were released by landowner recently. What should neighboring ranches in Diablos do with these elk that are now on them? These private ranches did not want the elk.

I'm sure none migrated from the North or south.

I hunted them north of SD last year.... At .3k-10k I would say they have value

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: kyotee1] #2710792 11/01/11 02:30 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: kyotee1

Do you know anything about the diseases that Aoudad transmit to Desert Bighorn and the reason for the shooting within Big Bend SP? Doubt it.

As a matter of fact I do. I also do not have any problem with the removal of Aoudad from the park or other state areas and private lands with landowner permission, however I really believe it could have been handled differently and the same goes for the future.

It would not supprtise me if the dieoff happening with the pronghorn in that region is not related to the aoudad. Have no idea really just would not supprise me if that is the case.

Do you know anything about the killing of elk by the state? I remember when elk were a protected species with a season and permit structure much like the current pronghorn season.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2710921 11/01/11 03:09 PM
B
BBQ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
No elk in Diablos in 1923. They were released by landowner recently. What should neighboring ranches in Diablos do with these elk that are now on them? These private ranches did not want the elk.

There is one single land owner out there that have sheep country in diablos that feel there is value in those elk. All the others do not. 3k elk tags landowners do not want to mess with. The very few 10k elk will probably be shot by landowners, or friends / family. Herd will not be sustainable, will never get all landowners on same page. Best to continue with existing policy.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2711007 11/01/11 03:32 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Quote:
Unofficially, the state of Texas celebrates donkeys and their historical and cultural significance in shaping the American West.
we do???

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BBQ] #2711017 11/01/11 03:35 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior

So we are to believe that one land owner released elk on one ranch recently while there are elk in free ranging in 5 identified mountian ranges in west Texas. I doubt those all came from a recent release by one landowner. Aren't there a few elk in the Glass Mountians and the Guadalupes? Are we to believe those are from the same said release?

The Landowneer whose place I hunted on this year seems to like having them around.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: kmon11] #2711119 11/01/11 04:07 PM
B
BBQ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I am talking strictly Diablo Mountains. The Diablos hold sheep mega-population in state. Diablos, Beach, and Baylor mountains. Anything happened to this sheep herd, sheep reintroduction to other parts of state would not happen.

I know of at least 3 other mountain ranges other than ones listed above that hold elk. Most if not all landowners in these areas like the elk. That same feeling is not shared in Diablos though.

And no, I never said or implied that all the elk in TX came from one landowner in Diablos.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BBQ] #2711141 11/01/11 04:18 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

There is one single land owner out there that have sheep country in diablos that feel there is value in those elk. All the others do not. 3k elk tags landowners do not want to mess with. The very few 10k elk will probably be shot by landowners, or friends / family. Herd will not be sustainable, will never get all landowners on same page. Best to continue with existing policy.

LAst part sounds like TP&W operates in regard to the deer herd.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BenBob] #2711153 11/01/11 04:20 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Most of our problems that we think are attributed to animals can be traced back and when all is said and done most of the problems are caused by MAN in one form or fashion. I never saw elk commandeer a truck and trailer and force someone to drive them to Texas, same holds true with all animals that man manages.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: mulie_mike] #2711158 11/01/11 04:22 PM
JakeinTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
Those damn donkeys are mean. They wouldnt let me get through one night on the highway so I gave one a nudge. Darn thing ran off then charged my truck giving it a hefty dent!

Ive seen a donkey chase off a mule deer more than one time also. There mean critters.

Think we can get some donkey's on the CDP? elmer

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: mark in tx] #2711162 11/01/11 04:25 PM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: mark in tx
They should be shooting the longhorns running around out there too.

I think they are actually. I have been there first hand and have witnessed the erradication of the aoudad, I agree with it to some extent but they could have done a draw hunt instead of paying guys in helicopters $600 or more an hour to do it.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: JakeinTX] #2711166 11/01/11 04:26 PM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: JakeinTX
Those damn donkeys are mean. They wouldnt let me get through one night on the highway so I gave one a nudge. Darn thing ran off then charged my truck giving it a hefty dent!

Ive seen a donkey chase off a mule deer more than one time also. There mean critters.

Think we can get some donkey's on the CDP? elmer

No!!! We have wild horses on our ranch in Van Horn and cant do a darn thing about them. Too expensive to catch them and they are destructive, just like donkeys.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: mulie_mike] #2711179 11/01/11 04:32 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I think they are actually. I have been there first hand and have witnessed the erradication of the aoudad, I agree with it to some extent but they could have done a draw hunt instead of paying guys in helicopters $600 or more an hour to do it.

I kind of agree, but I wouldn't want John Q Public out there shooting aoudad when there are desert bighorn there. I can see it now, "Oops, I thought it was aoudad".

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BBQ] #2711210 11/01/11 04:42 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Ok instead of shooting elk onsite at SD why not have a draw hunt...bet there would be at least 5k applicants at $10 a peice...again we are talking about state owned land not private land.

As far as the prices check around.... 4k-20k for a week a year is lots of cash especially when land values and cattle stocking rates are so low..but under the same reasoning the pronghorns would fall under the same mind set.

I know several people who elk hunt out there and are on waiting lists, so a blank state[u][/u]ment of landowners have no use for them is a little far left.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2711277 11/01/11 05:03 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ok instead of shooting elk onsite at SD why not have a draw hunt...bet there would be at least 5k applicants at $10 a peice...again we are talking about state owned land not private land.

This is one I would agree with.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: dogcatcher] #2711299 11/01/11 05:09 PM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

There were no big horn there prior to the erradication so they could have done no harm. They were just released last winter.

I kind of agree, but I wouldn't want John Q Public out there shooting aoudad when there are desert bighorn there. I can see it now, "Oops, I thought it was aoudad".

www.westtexashunt.com

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: mulie_mike] #2711532 11/01/11 06:22 PM
B
BBQ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I can confidently say that not one landowner that shares a boundary with TPWD in Sierra Diablos has anything positive about the elk.

From water, grazing, disease, deer management aspect, and basically having them forced onto property owners that did not want them.

As far as value of the elk hunting, if these land owners thought there was a sustainable market with hunting these elk, they would be acting upon it. Hunting that area is some of the most expensive in the state for wildlife.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2711542 11/01/11 06:26 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: blancobuster
When I was out in Terlingua this summer I met an old coach from the high school that was FURIOUS about all this donkey mess. I am guessing he won't be happy about this. I could care less about them, but I do agree with bobo and kmon that the killing of the elk to save bighorns is BS. An elk reintroduction would be much easier to succeed with and more lucrative anyways IMO. I don't really care for the bighorns because no matter how much mo
ney TPWD spends on their reintroduction, chances are that less than 1% of Texans will ever see one in the wild, let alone get the chance to hunt them and that is BS.

The elk where re- introduced in 1923

It would be impossible to re introduce the original Texas Elk. The Elk in Texas was the Merriam Elk and has been extinct since the early 1900s.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: Sniper John] #2712821 11/02/11 12:10 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Correct the same sub species that was in New Mexico and Oklahoma

Both Texas, NM and Oklahoma now have the Rockies mountain species via introduction.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BBQ] #2712826 11/02/11 12:12 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Your right I didn't hunt within 8- 15 miles from there last year for elk nor did any other THF member...nor was a 300 plus elk shot by a forum member on the same ranch..and they where free

I can confidently say that not one landowner that shares a boundary with TPWD in Sierra Diablos has anything positive about the elk.

From water, grazing, disease, deer management aspect, and basically having them forced onto property owners that did not want them.

As far as value of the elk hunting, if these land owners thought there was a sustainable market with hunting these elk, they would be acting upon it. Hunting that area is some of the most expensive in the state for wildlife.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2712978 11/02/11 12:54 AM
B
BBQ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Does this ranch share a boundary with TPWD?
And congrats on killing elk. If you head this way again this year I wish you continued luck. Kill as many as possible. I know of several of 330-350 bulls thumped. My high school nephew has taken a liking to them.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2712980 11/02/11 12:55 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
That's cool... Would like the bighorn to be by auctioned tags and gov tags with no actual drawings unless there was a 200k fine for shooting less than a full curl ram.

As far as the prices check around.... 4k-20k for a week a year is lots of cash especially when land values and cattle stocking rates are so low..but under the same reasoning the pronghorns would fall under the same mind set.

I know several people who elk hunt out there and are on waiting lists, so a blank state[u][/u]ment of landowners have no use for them is a little far left.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: rifleman] #2713034 11/02/11 01:07 AM
B
BBQ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
And they were free for a reason i am assuming? Hence no value? Not trying to argue, just giving you another point of view.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BBQ] #2713138 11/02/11 01:28 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
No they where not free.. I was kidding...wish they would of been.

Don't think I don't know where your coming from..I do I have more antelope then I know what to do with..hate them with a passion...but I also get very very limited tags. So no way for me to really make money off hunting them, there for the ag losses can't be recouped. Tx elk are different it a premium price..no tag, no applications, no restrictions.

But back to what I mentioned earlier.. on state owned land why not have a drawhunt after all its tax payers paying for the park any ways. I do think the TBS is to powerful ...100k plus for a big horn's govenors tag...Wouldn't it be nice for a governor elk tag or even a draw for elk..

Oklahoma raises over 70k a year on their elk draw, why can't we?

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #2713285 11/02/11 02:13 AM
B
BBQ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Agree with that, but too much time and money have been spent by TPWD, TBS, and private landowners to have elk not tested (to my knowledge) and released in most important sheep population in the state. They hammer the guzzards, grazing, and hamper mule deer management, as well as disease. Disease and guzzards being primary issues.

The elk are a problem when they run in sheep country. Other than that not really an opinion either way on them.

As far as WMA it is not a very big area, and is majority sheep habitat. There is a place for elk, just not there (in my opinion) and these hunts could generate much needed revenue for the state.

In that area specifically, too much risk, very little if any reward.

There is a nice herd in Eagle mountains and landowners trying to get them started in Quitmqn mts as well. More and more elk popping up year after year. Population in Diablos is down.

All of this is just my opinion and what I know about the area.

Re: TPWD controlling donkeys via .308 [Re: kyotee1] #2713376 11/02/11 02:38 AM
L
lfduty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I have 6 at my house for yotes with all my goats and they will STOMP you or some thing that they don't know I went out one night and they RUN me over the fence until I yeald at them

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide