Print Thread
Combine/kaufman/crandall #268232 12/03/07 09:19 PM
D
duckhunterdfw Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
anyone ever drive on 175 torwards kaufman.We went to first monday in Canton and they are doing some construction by the Catfish farm by the trinity and there was alot of patches of water and there were ducks everywhere.What are they doing over there.It looks like flood land but also looks like they are going to put roads and stuff in.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: duckhunterdfw] #268233 12/03/07 09:40 PM
Q
Quackbangsplash Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Q
I heard from a hunting buddy that it was a Duck's Unlimited project. If you'll notice they built a huge pump house on the river there to keep that property flooded and those tanks and the trench full of water. The project is actually on both sides of the road too.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: Quackbangsplash] #268234 12/03/07 10:12 PM
D
duckhunterdfw Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
On the way down there and back there were several cars driving down the roads and the sheriff has someone pulled over down there.Again I saw a ton of ducks and there were ducks landing as we went buy.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: duckhunterdfw] #268235 12/03/07 11:07 PM
cahughes82 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I heard about it like a year ago from my grandad. He read in the paper that it has something to do with a water reserve for Dallas.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: cahughes82] #268236 12/03/07 11:51 PM
D
duckkilla Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I have no idea if its true or not, but I heard the same thing about a water reserve for Dallas that the Hunt family had their fingers in.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: duckkilla] #268237 12/04/07 01:03 AM
P
pigpen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
North Texas Municipal Water District is in charge of it. It is a wetlands project to increase the flow of water down the Trinity R. to other resevoirs. They will pump effluent into the wetlands and after a given time period, the water will be naturally filtered and will be in a much less "raw" form and be almost drinkable by then, thus eliminating time and expensive tertiary and settling basins needed at water treatmnet plants. I am sure duck hunting will never be allowed there.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: duckkilla] #268238 12/04/07 01:08 AM
O
o2bwest Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Here's what I've heard about that.

The big pump station is taking water out of the river and pumping it onto those flats on either side of 175. They planted some sort of reed or grass out there that filters the water as it works its way through the flats. By the time it gets to the other end it is supposed to be clean enough to drink or at least go into municipal water treatment (Dallas). In the process they have created a big marsh wich should be good bird habitat.

They also put in a big pipeline on the other side of the river. not sure what it's for maybe they have another pump station further down river.???

[Linked Image]

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: pigpen] #268239 12/04/07 01:17 AM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Quote:

North Texas Municipal Water District is in charge of it. It is a wetlands project to increase the flow of water down the Trinity R. to other resevoirs. They will pump effluent into the wetlands and after a given time period, the water will be naturally filtered and will be in a much less "raw" form and be almost drinkable by then, thus eliminating time and expensive tertiary and settling basins needed at water treatmnet plants. I am sure duck hunting will never be allowed there.

They did something very similar years ago down at Richland Creek WMA. You can hunt that project, but I too would seriously doubt that they would allow it in Crandall, simply because of the location.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: fowlplayr] #268240 12/04/07 02:28 AM
D
duckhunterdfw Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
One of my best friends is Bunker hunts Grandson and his dad was also a wetlands conservationist and built them for his mom Rose HUnt.His office was at the crescent in Dallas.I remember having High School parties there.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: duckhunterdfw] #268241 12/04/07 05:28 PM
C
cherrndy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
The pipeline is to pump the water back up to Lavon. Then we get to drink $hit water.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: cherrndy] #268242 12/05/07 02:13 PM
R
Rattletrap Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
This is called the East Fork Water Reuse Project and is funded by the North Texas Municipal Water District. The downstream water from the Trinity is collected at the pumps on the north side of 175, then sequentially distributed through a series of moist soil wetland ponds. That is what you see planted/ flooded on the south side of 175. After going thru several of these vegetated ponds, where the water is cleaned, it is picked back up by another set of pumps and pumped back to Lake Lavon thru an 84" pipeline. There are plans for a future nature center that will be open to the public, but sorry no, never any public duck hunting.

Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: Rattletrap] #268243 12/06/07 04:41 PM
C
cajundave Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I don't care if they hun't or not, just scare the crud out of them so they fly on down to my lease further down the road.

"Guns aren't toys!They're for family protection,hunting dangerous or delicious animals,and keeping the King of England out of your face!" H.Simpson
Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: cajundave] #268244 12/07/07 02:22 AM
A
AggieHunter09 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
I actually work part time (started out as in intern but still in school) with the engineering firm that is handling this project (Alan Plummer Associates, Inc.). And yes, all of the descriptions so far are right. It's called the East Fork Water Reuse Project. Wetlands are natural water filtration systems and they are using this power to remove sediment from the "$h*t water". The land is now owned (surface rights) by North Texas Municipal Water District but the Hunt family still has the mineral rights to the land. They also have hunting rights. The past two summers that is where I spent most of my time. I actually asked the project engineer if they let people hunt it and he said no. Apparently, the Hunt family hunts it and they let a select few people hunt it as well. But someone is duck hunting it for sure. This past summer I saw a few lost decoys floating in one of the wetland cells. Someone must be having fun out there. Too bad it's not me. I am supposed to be back out there over Christmas break. I dont think ill be able to work with all the ducks flying.

ol WW...the waterfowl widowmaker
Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: AggieHunter09] #268245 12/07/07 05:05 PM
C
cajundave Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Quote:

I actually work part time (started out as in intern but still in school) with the engineering firm that is handling this project (Alan Plummer Associates, Inc.). And yes, all of the descriptions so far are right. It's called the East Fork Water Reuse Project. Wetlands are natural water filtration systems and they are using this power to remove sediment from the "$h*t water". The land is now owned (surface rights) by North Texas Municipal Water District but the Hunt family still has the mineral rights to the land. They also have hunting rights. The past two summers that is where I spent most of my time. I actually asked the project engineer if they let people hunt it and he said no. Apparently, the Hunt family hunts it and they let a select few people hunt it as well. But someone is duck hunting it for sure. This past summer I saw a few lost decoys floating in one of the wetland cells. Someone must be having fun out there. Too bad it's not me. I am supposed to be back out there over Christmas break. I dont think ill be able to work with all the ducks flying.

Bring a Foghorn and move them to our TANK!!!!

"Guns aren't toys!They're for family protection,hunting dangerous or delicious animals,and keeping the King of England out of your face!" H.Simpson
Re: Combine/kaufman/crandall [Re: cajundave] #268246 12/08/07 02:54 AM
C
cometdog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Spoonies going to love that place!

Watermarks welcomes Haileys Comet
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide