Print Thread
Colorado Bend SP #2608267 09/25/11 04:10 AM
A
ATracker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
My buddy just drew for this place and was asking me what I knew about it and about what kind of exotics they might have. It has been a long time, 30 years at least, since I hunted San Saba area so I have no answers for him. Can anyone help me out with some info?

Thanks!

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: ATracker] #2609088 09/25/11 05:53 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Aoudad primarily, not common but avaialable sometimes on the rugged west side of the SP according to the SP Manager I tt'd last year. Call and ask him, he was super nice to me on the phone last year and someplace I will try and Hunt myself someday because of his responses.

With the drought dunno how it's gonna go as the Colorado River that runs through the SP is really in trouble with Lake Buchanan reported at 28' Low and at 25% of capacity. Good Luck
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: ATracker] #2609089 09/25/11 05:54 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Aoudad primarily, not common but avaialable sometimes on the rugged west side of the SP according to the SP Manager I tt'd last year. Call and ask him, he was super nice to me on the phone last year and someplace I will try and Hunt myself someday because of his responses.

With the drought dunno how it's gonna go as the Colorado River that runs through the SP is really in trouble with Lake Buchanan reported at 28' Low and at 25% of capacity. Good Luck
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: WileyCoyote] #2609098 09/25/11 06:02 PM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
That's interesting . I have a house and property across the river from the park and I have never seen or heard of Aoudad in that area . Not saying I don't believe it .

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: WileyCoyote] #2609975 09/26/11 01:11 AM
A
ATracker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Hey WileyCoyote,

I called my buddy and passed on your info. He said he had the number to the park and will give them a call. Have you ever hunted there and could suggest an area that would be good to request.

Thanks!

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: texfork] #2609995 09/26/11 01:17 AM
A
ATracker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: texfork
That's interesting . I have a house and property across the river from the park and I have never seen or heard of Aoudad in that area . Not saying I don't believe it .

Hey texfork,

I did some searches on other hunting sites this afternoon and found very little info but one guy on a bow hunting site said he had seen about twenty Aoudad when he hunted back in 2009.

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: ATracker] #2610581 09/26/11 04:14 AM
O
okjhutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
hey atracker, I have taken my son there for youth hunts 2 different years. one year our compartment was all the way to the back by the river. We went to camp ground then turn rt and go to dead end, this was the back side of our compartment the others hunted up on top toward the front of this compartment. We did find alot a sign of aoudads up the hill around a corner then up a rocky step draw. Never could get on them nor seen them. But the sign was on top and around corner towards the rocky step draw. you would almost have to have a helicopter to get a animal out of this draw or be incrediable hulk. I am glad we did not see one in there. You here people say the woods were thick, this a spot was extremly thick, squat down and duck walk,hands and knees in spots, then you would hit a honey hole, look like bedding areas. Any way about 1 day of that was all my son wanted, so we went back up on top towards front of compartment. dumped out some corn in the road walked down the road and sat in a bruch blind 1 1/2 hours later he shot his first texas buck. when we saw it we thought it was a doe. went to it grab it by ear to roll it and thought i felt a big tick on its head, it was a antler. you had to push hide back to see the hard antler.that was it for that trip, funny thing about it was my sons buck was the second biggest buck shot on that hunt, his weighed 72 lb. the other was a 8 pt inside ear tips wighed 101 lb.
the next year we hunted all the way to the river turn left thru camp grounds to dead end and start walk along river.good draws going up the hills off the river. it was thick but not as thick as the other side. we seen several does and spikes but no shooter bucks.
draw backs- if you do not camp there, you have a long drive from the nearest town in the morning and evening min. 35-45 mins get in traffic or bad roads good hour.// very thick-not very many long shots, longest shot might be 100 yds,but you would have to be waiting on them to cross or stop in the opening or you not get a shot, its longer drive back into the place then you think it would be, besure you have a full tank of fuel before going in.
the possiabilities of exotics are there, i know and hunted with a guy that manages a ranch across the river and he says they have blk buck axis fallow aoudads,so they are in the are so its possiable, some hogs, but again VERY THICK. hope this helped

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: okjhutch] #2610602 09/26/11 04:26 AM
A
ATracker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Hey okjhutch,

Thanks so much for that info! I will pass it on. My buddy does not hunt there until the end of November so any info will help him decide what to do. I have suggested he take a portable tripod and corn and hunt close to the river but I have no idea what the drought has effected and what would be the best area to request.

Thanks again!

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: ATracker] #2611050 09/26/11 02:13 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I've been there once, about 6 yrs ago. It was me, my dad, my brother and his son. We got the compartment all the way to the river, left of the campground. Actually, the campground was in our compartment, just couldn't hunt "in" the campground. Everybody but me took the trail from the campground along the river. You need to get past the primitive campsites and start huntin there. My brother missed a HUGE 8 and his boy shot a HUGE 10. He said it was in a fight with another buck when he walked up on it right at daybreak. Then, on top of the ridge, right before the road drops down to the campground, there is a dim road that goes to a trash dump. Just behind that is where I was and I missed a beaut of a tall 9 point with my bow. Ended up killin a spike on the last morning. I loved that compartment. Seen a lot of deer in there. Also, on that hunt, nobody seen any exotics. Good Luck to ya.

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: sqiggy] #2611662 09/26/11 05:19 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
My info on the presence of Aoudads was from the park manager. I also have a cousin in Austin who sez he had hunted the park back before the Lottery started ...is what I understood him to say...sez he and a buddy got one each but somewhere that the critters could look down on the hunters that his buddy's 30-30 would not reach. Cousin had a 300Wby, and said it took him 3+ hours to go around and climb up some steep arsed cliff's to get into position for a long'ish shot. Cousin is from Midland originally and has also been known to tell some tall west texas chest thumping knuckle dragging tales too...so I always am a little ???
Squiggy & OKJ's description fits my cousin's tale of his hunt too.

The description of time and distance from food and motels in Lampasas to the park sounds accurate accordsing to the park staff I've talked to...and it why I passed on trying a Stand By and went on down to Garner from there....only another 4-5 hours away LOL! Stayed in Uvalde and drove 31 miles to Garner each way, ate a Whataburger reakfast in the truck and 9 miles to leakey for lunch got tiresome. Gotta get a small 2 man hard body camper if I am going to do these Stand By places regularly... I hate sleeping in a tent.
Ron

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: WileyCoyote] #2611778 09/26/11 06:02 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
The campground is nice. They just didn't have showers there. Plus, it got pretty chilly in the mornings, not really what we wanted in a tent. So we stayed at a motel in San Saba. Took us about 30 to 40 mins to drive to the check in station, then however longer to your compartment. If I got to do it again, think I would camp and just take plenty of blankets.

Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: texfork] #2611785 09/26/11 06:04 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: texfork

You want some? I will try to send them your way. I am just south of you on the same side. I am just north of Greenwood Creek. I can see the bigger waterfall from one of my blinds. Last year I had 24-26 Aoudads at that blind. If I see a bunch like that this weekend some will be buzzard bait. I am loading up my 30-06 auto and it will be ready.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Colorado Bend SP [Re: Stump_jumper] #2659568 10/14/11 12:27 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I've hunted CB three times. I found one of the best compartments is off the river. It starts at the entry of CB SP and on the right side of the road. It's more open and has more areas that deer feed at.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide