Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2595778 09/20/11 01:06 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
This is a great thread and some good points have been made.

mforby, I have one question for you and I'm not trying to be an a$$, I just want to see your response: Why did you buy a silver lab?

Duckkhunterr, I may have used the wrong terminology when I used stereotype earlier. I guess my point to the whole argument is, that the "stereotypes" aren't stereotypes if they're true. It's true that chocolates used to be bred mainly for the purpose of being chocolate, a designer dog if you will. Can we agree on that? But now, folks like yourself are breeding for more than just color. I know we agree on that.
So yes, I agree that it didn't happen over night and it won't get fixed over night. It is going to take some time and some good breeding.

Mud Shark

Re: Silver Labs [Re: Mud Shark] #2595930 09/20/11 02:09 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Mud Shark I believe I can agree with you on that also. Chocolate was a designer dog and is now being bred for conformation and hunting. I believe silver has taken that spot now as well as the solid white dogs.

mforby I am also curious to your response about your silver lab. I actually hope that you can start a quality breeding program with silver labs that concentrate on the quality of the bloodline and not just the color.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2596248 09/20/11 03:50 PM
M
mformby Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
that's not an a$$ question at all. My wife and I wanted to get a dog. Of course I wanted a hunting dog. I just started looking around at what was available at the time. I found an ad in the Austin paper for silver pups. So, I did a little reading and went to see them. The ad was from a couple that live in Cranfils Gap. They pretty much have a male and female lab in every color. Their ranch has got to be lab heaven--they're running around everywhere. Anyway, we were looking at the pups when one comes running around the barn with a rag in his mouth and wasn't afraid of anything. done deal. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the folks we got him from to someone.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: mformby] #2596274 09/20/11 03:54 PM
M
mformby Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

Re: Silver Labs [Re: mformby] #2596322 09/20/11 04:05 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
He is a gorgeous dog. Do you plan on doing any hunt test on him. It would be a great idea that way you can start a bloodline of silvers that has a quality bloodline. Also do they and are you doing any health clearances on you dog. That is very important for you and him.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2596393 09/20/11 04:29 PM
S
SilverDogs Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
mformby that is a great looking dog!!

[Linked Image]
Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2596396 09/20/11 04:31 PM
L
labpointkennels Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
My reds point as well as retrieve. A Lab has to be way up on the intelligence scale in order to know when to point and when to retrieve. It just happened to be a coincidence that they came out red. If you want to see a whole bunch of different colored, intelligent dogs you can go to the American Pointing Labrador Association web site. All of those dogs are overpriced, in my opinion, but way up on the smart scale. My bloodlines are from pointing Labs and here is a pic of my chocolate that started my kennel. The pic is of him pointing a quail at Attoyiac farms in East Texas. Through him and another chocolate male is how I got the B in the yyB genetic code for color in my Labs.

Labrador Point Kennels
Home of the Texas Red Labradors
Re: Silver Labs [Re: SilverDogs] #2596401 09/20/11 04:34 PM
M
mformby Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Thanks. I haven't really planned to do any hunt testing with him. The last thing I need is another hobby. The breeders guaranteed him against dysplasia. And, when he became full grown, we took him to the vet to get his hips x-ray-ed. All clear.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: mformby] #2596428 09/20/11 04:42 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
AKC doesn't recognize "Silver labs" yet do they?

Re: Silver Labs [Re: Birdhunter61] #2596448 09/20/11 04:49 PM
M
mformby Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
they're listed as Chocolate.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: mformby] #2596482 09/20/11 05:00 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I would like to know your thoughts on this. I have a chocolate that is almost two years old and is a very good dog so far, she appears to be better than my prior chocolate lab that passed last year. She hunted last year after getting started at a trainor for 3 months and I have worked with her since with hand signals. I bought her for hunting only, no hunt tests, I hunt 25-30 days out of the season.
One parent was black and one was yellow, both have several titled dogs in the pedigree and both ran hunt tests, with that being said my chocolate was not breed for color it just happened that blacks and chocolates were born out of that litter.
I think this scenerio is different than two chocolates being breed for color, so there can be very good chocolates running hunt test, I just prefer chocolate dogs because they blend in better were I hunt.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: Mud Shark] #2596536 09/20/11 05:25 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Mud Shark
Originally Posted By: kbobbjr
Angie explained it best. That's why chocolates have had a bad rap for so long. You now have great chocolates with the traits hunters and hunt test/field trialers are looking for in a dog. It didn't happen over night. Designer breeders have created this niche market. Hear what I'm saying, these are breeders that are only breeding for color and not for the traits that most of us on this board are looking for in a dog. I'm not talking about breeders who breed for color and only do so with the best dogs available that do possess the traits that we are looking for in a dog. Those are just my opinions based on my limited experience in this game. I'm not a geneticist but I play one on the internet. clap

Iron Spikes, kbobbjr put this is about as well as it can be put. I'm not saying that all chocolates are dumb and all yellows and blacks are smart. I'm simply stating that most chocolate dogs are bred to be chocolate. Silver labs are bred to be silver. They're not bred because they have a good pedigree, but they're bred because people want that color. Typically,chocolate is the desired trait of a chocolate dog, not marking or handling or drive or trainability, but chocolate. I've seen some really nice chocolate dogs run, Roux being the primary one(http://www.dakotascajunroux.com/html/pedigree.htm). They're certainly out there, but they are few and far between. I've also seen some crappy blacks and yellows. There can be great dogs and terrible dogs of all colors. Personally, I like black, but I'd buy pedigree before color any day. I know not everyone runs hunt test, but for for those that do run hunt tests, what is the % of chocolate dogs that are entered in those tests vs. black/yellows?

The fact of the matter is, the majority (not all) of the talented dogs you see at hunt test and field trial are black and yellows. No one can argue with that. Again, this doesn't mean there are no talented chocolates because there are, but the majority of traits that I personally desire in a dog, seem to come from blacks and yellows.

OK, I agree - and can get behind this. I have always loved red Labs. They never bred out the red in England, like we did here in the states during some prior 'color trend', so the reds were always around over there. Now that they're back in the states, they are 'trendy' (just saw this on another post) and my greatest fear is that the exact same thing will happen with red. I see folks charging extra just for the color, not cuz the dog can do anything. I also see folks refusing to issue full registration so they can control the color market. I posted on another thread that my big fear is that now reds will be poorly bred, over bred & in-bred by folks looking to do the same thing - make a quick buck on the color alone.... and reds will be associated with the resulting poor genetics.

I just wanted to make sure folks aren't thinking that the allele where color is controlled is somehow tied to intelligence. But poor breeding? Yes, that can sure affect trainability - in any color!

By the way, I have a Cajun Roux dog - my newest pup "Roux" (thanks Bonni!) She's just 9 weeks old, and I've only had her a few days, but I've put her on the quail & teal dokkens and she gets after it! She's yellow, btw, not that it matters... I got her for her conformation & ability, not her color! wink

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Silver Labs [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2596657 09/20/11 06:12 PM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Anyone that knows me knows I am a chocolate lab lover through and through. That being said, I will not purchase a chocolate without doing extensive research on the pedigrees and clearances (that goes for any color really). The last chocolate I purchased was bred to the hilt. I wanted a chocolate that had the potential to go out and perform and look good while doing it. I firmly believe that's what I got. I see dogs of all colors being bred and sold (some on this site and I'm not calling anyone out) that shouldn't be bred! They are not improving the breed. Breeding for color alone does not improve the breed. With all of the unscrupulous breedings that "designer" breeders do to produce a specific color for profit it's no wonder certain colors get a bad rap. You see enough black, yellow, red, chocolate, silver and white labs not perform you start believing it's based on color. I agree with Iron Spike, it's not the color that controls intelligience. It's the lack of knowledge of unsuspecting buyers and the general public that don't understand the color of the dog is masking the true issue - poor breeding standards by the breeder or they're purchasing a puppy that was not bred to do what they're asking it to do. I could go on for days about this.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Silver Labs [Re: kbobbjr] #2596749 09/20/11 06:42 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
My gf's brother bought a couple of labs from some random kennel awhile back. One white and one black "with the silver gene." I had my pup over at their parent's house one day and was in the back yard throwing her some bumpers. The brother and his gf (they live next door) come out and I start talking to them about my pup. Yadda yadda... eventually my pup is trying to play with the other pups through the fence when the following comment was make..."Those are our money makers." I just walked away.

This is the same guy that had probably the most retarded chocolate lab, hell any lab, that I've ever been around that he got rid of. Don't get me started on this dog. He bred him several times with his now ex wife's yellow dudley that neither had any pedigree to talk of. Their dad kept one of the pups (all chocs btw) to use to hunt that also turned out to be a wreck. The brother also had for years a nice red "lab" (I think it was part golden) that would have made a hell of a hunting dog with a little work/time that he also got rid of because "they didn't have time and the kids didn't like dogs" but then turn around a couple of months later and get the new pups which they are now trying to get rid of. Sort of pisses you off, doesn't it?

[Linked Image]

Re: Silver Labs [Re: mohunter] #2596879 09/20/11 07:30 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: mohunter
I would like to know your thoughts on this. I have a chocolate that is almost two years old and is a very good dog so far, she appears to be better than my prior chocolate lab that passed last year. She hunted last year after getting started at a trainor for 3 months and I have worked with her since with hand signals. I bought her for hunting only, no hunt tests, I hunt 25-30 days out of the season.
One parent was black and one was yellow, both have several titled dogs in the pedigree and both ran hunt tests, with that being said my chocolate was not breed for color it just happened that blacks and chocolates were born out of that litter.
I think this scenerio is different than two chocolates being breed for color, so there can be very good chocolates running hunt test, I just prefer chocolate dogs because they blend in better were I hunt.

Mo this has to do with the genetic code of the dogs. For instance my female is chocolate and I breed with a chocolate male we have all chocolate puppies. He has also bred his male to a yellow female and she had all chocolate puppies. The key to this that all the dogs have a stronger chocolate factor genetic code. If you two dogs of the same color but they have a different genetic color code they will throw different colored puppies. It really difficult to understand and manage lol

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2596897 09/20/11 07:33 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
http://beulahland.tripod.com/coatcolorcy.htm

Here is a good website on color codes

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2596904 09/20/11 07:34 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
http://beulahland.tripod.com/coatcolor.htm

The first one was to one of the pages this one is to the home page

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2597019 09/20/11 08:11 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Chocolate: MUST be bb (two recessive genes on the BLACK allele dilutes the black to chocolate. A chocolate is a BLACK dog, with it's color muted.

Yellow: CAN be bb, Bb or BB on the BLACK allele. It's either a BLACK dog with a yellow coat (BB or Bb) or a CHOCOLATE dog with a yellow coat (bb - which, incidentally, is a dudley.)

So really, Labs are ONE color... BLACK. Then the BLACK dog is varied. Muted, it's chocolate - that affects HIDE AND COAT. OR JUST THE COAT can be altered: that's where yellows/reds come in....

Yellow: Is determined on the RED allele and MUST be ee (double recessive for red.) The 'E' allele does NOT affect hide - it affects COAT ONLY. A yellow (once upon a time) is/was a red dog. We diluted the color here in the USA, but it started out as red (different alleles and way too complicated to get into here, that affects the shade & location of the red in the coat.)

SO... You can breed a yellow (ee/Bb) to a BLACK (EE/Bb) and get a CHOCOLATE: Ee/bb - see where it pulled the 'E' (to make it BLACK, then DILUTED the BLACK (bb), to make it CHOCOLATE? 'e' from one parent, E from the other, and a 'b' from each parent.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2597252 09/20/11 09:20 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Lol this has turned into a science/math/algebra class. I am really enjoying this topic. Thanks Dawn for breaking that down.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2597263 09/20/11 09:22 PM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Now this takes care of the color situation of a dog, now to the intelligence and health of a dog wich is the important thing that a lot of breeders are missing out on.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2597733 09/21/11 12:41 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
lol... Well DH, I don't think a genetic screen will divulge anything on a 'smart allele', it's up to the breeder to observe the parents for temperament, drive, hunting instinct, trainability, olfactory sense, memory/recall and focus. I think the culmination of these things is what produces an 'intelligent' dog.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2597884 09/21/11 01:30 AM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
lol... Well DH, I don't think a genetic screen will divulge anything on a 'smart allele', it's up to the breeder to observe the parents for temperament, drive, hunting instinct, trainability, olfactory sense, memory/recall and focus. I think the culmination of these things is what produces an 'intelligent' dog.

Oh I agree 100% once I find the look of a dog I look at the parents and what they had to offer on the mental and intelligence side and if that doesn't add up I move the next thing is the health of the dog. These are all important things that people really need to look at and be educated on when getting a puppy for the first time.

If people are not educated on these things then we start getting the undesirable dogs when it comes to health and work ability. I try and talk to all my customers about this.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2598039 09/21/11 02:12 AM
L
labpointkennels Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
This is a pic of my choc that I posted earlier on point at Attoyiac Farms. This is the same dog on point behind the kennels. Notice the yellow ring around the neck. As you can see here he is dark red but registered as a choc with AKC. His old collar had been on for a while and I was going to change it and had not done so when I took this picture. This is the dog I bred to Belle yyB and how I got to my red Dudley's. Their son is my main dog. The sire to my pups.

Labrador Point Kennels
Home of the Texas Red Labradors
Re: Silver Labs [Re: labpointkennels] #2598068 09/21/11 02:17 AM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I don't see the where he is a dark red I see the chocolate clearly. I have always been told and read that all fox red or red colored labs was registered as a yellow lab.

Re: Silver Labs [Re: duckkhunterr] #2598072 09/21/11 02:19 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: duckkhunterr
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Oh I agree 100% once I find the look of a dog I look at the parents and what they had to offer on the mental and intelligence side and if that doesn't add up I move the next thing is the health of the dog. These are all important things that people really need to look at and be educated on when getting a puppy for the first time.

If people are not educated on these things then we start getting the undesirable dogs when it comes to health and work ability. I try and talk to all my customers about this.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I understand that folks have a favorite color (or are looking for a color different from what they currently have), but I also love when I hear from a clearly educated consumer who says "I just want a good dog that (insert laundry/wish list here) - and I while I HOPE it comes in (insert color here), I realize that color is the least important thing." THIS is a customer I know I can make happy!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide