Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
was gonna go buy new camo this year.... #2569384 09/09/11 01:06 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
but after driving thru the country yesterday I'll just go buy some gray T-shirts.

it looks horrible out here!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2569410 09/09/11 01:14 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I remember in the 80's when hunting videos first came out on VCR, Chuck Adams had a few and always was wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt, later, as hunting got "commercialized" he shows up in camo!! grin

Your right though, "desert" pattern should be good for Texas this year.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Western] #2569423 09/09/11 01:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Heck if the wildfires keep going just about anything in the "Johnny Cash Camo Pattern" will do.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: stxranchman] #2569634 09/09/11 02:34 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Yeah, wont be much need for green camo this year, I switched to the Mossy Oak Brush a few years back, it seems to work well in the Hill Country, and was a little too brown for our place in Madison County, however I do believe it will be just fine this year.

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: rstewlandman] #2569851 09/09/11 03:49 PM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
ok, this might be a really stupid question, but: does camo really make a difference? or is it just a "i'm-going-hunting" fashion statement? i'm curious - i've been researching this topic out of curiosity for a while and i can't seem to find anything to indicate that dressing in camo makes a big difference.

ok, now before you bash me, please remember i don't hunt - i just cook'em and get curious from time to time...

---
hunter's other half - i don't shoot them, but i cook'em... :o)

www.rancholasnoriastx.com
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: rstewlandman] #2569863 09/09/11 03:52 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If it stays hot, I'm going back out in my blue short sleeve Hawaiian shirt with the palm trees, cargo shorts, panama hat & flip-flops....I do have one Hawaiian shirt in burnt orange and some smoke gray shorts just in case!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: icook'em] #2569910 09/09/11 04:04 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: icook'em
ok, this might be a really stupid question, but: does camo really make a difference? or is it just a "i'm-going-hunting" fashion statement? i'm curious - i've been researching this topic out of curiosity for a while and i can't seem to find anything to indicate that dressing in camo makes a big difference.

ok, now before you bash me, please remember i don't hunt - i just cook'em and get curious from time to time...

You need something to break up your outline. Whether camo does that better than a flannel shirt or a Hawaiian shirt, who knows?

I do think that critters will notice patches of unnatural hues though (bright colors, large patches of solid color)...

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2569920 09/09/11 04:07 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

You need something to break up your outline. Whether camo does that better than a flannel shirt or a Hawaiian shirt, who knows?

I do think that critters will notice patches of unnatural hues though (bright colors, large patches of solid color)...
Do you notice bright colors if you are color blind?

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: pokerj2] #2569958 09/09/11 04:18 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
They might not see "colors" but they see something. No where in nature do large patches of bright colors exist.

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #2569976 09/09/11 04:23 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Heck, I hunt in a box blind so the deer can't see me anyway. I buy very little camo anymore. It's to expensive and the quality is usually poor.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Stompy] #2570009 09/09/11 04:38 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Deer aren't totally color blind. They just see very similar to a person that is red-green colorblind. Red, orange, yellow, and green look alot alike to them. They see shorter wavelengths like blue on into the ultraviolet spectrum very well.

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Palehorse] #2570028 09/09/11 04:46 PM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
opening weekend was so warm last year that I took off all my camo and hung it on my coat hook. I hunted more than once sitting in my box stand wearing just my drawers and an undershirt.

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: MELackey] #2570049 09/09/11 04:55 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
If I buy camo at all it's because it's on sale and cheap cheap cheap...clearance price cheap.

I typically hunt from a box blind so there's no real need for it. I usually wear Wrangler camo cargo shorts, tennie-runners, and a t-shirt right up until the first of December. Heck, last few seasons I wore that same attire many times in Jan/Feb while hunting S. Texas.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Palehorse] #2570099 09/09/11 05:15 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Deer aren't totally color blind. They just see very similar to a person that is red-green colorblind. Red, orange, yellow, and green look alot alike to them. They see shorter wavelengths like blue on into the ultraviolet spectrum very well.

Agree ........ I think one could wear just about anything with some sorta pattern. Palm trees work..( clap)

FYI - I always mention "blue" just to get a rise. In reality I'm almost like LandPirate. Sometime wear cheap camo, but in the blind during the last few years it has been the lightest weight pants/shorts I can find and some old kaiki colored shirt with long sleeves (I burn real quick). Usually have some old coveralls around to cut the chill just in case...

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2570515 09/09/11 08:25 PM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I'm GUILTY, bought cammo of all types, I really LIKE Vietnam tiger stripe,but have spent years hunting out of a blind of some sort. Over the last few years I wear a dark shirt(mostly long sleave) and jeans and my daily foot wear.Drinking coffee,or sweet tea looking a GODs creation!! Hunting season yet?

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: boonee] #2570553 09/09/11 08:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
i was actually referring to how dry it was and how all the brush has died.

only one person got the message.

gold star for stxranchman

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2571021 09/10/11 12:43 AM
I
icook'em Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

hahahaha. :o) i got it too txtrophy85. i was just curious. my hubby just goes out in jeans hanging on to dear life by a thread and an old t-shirt which may or may not be camo - depends on the day. he never camos up 100% but i've been seeing camo fly off the shelves at Academy so was wondering if people really believed it disguised them from deer. :o)

---
hunter's other half - i don't shoot them, but i cook'em... :o)

www.rancholasnoriastx.com
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2571056 09/10/11 01:03 AM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Don't I even get an "honorable mention" for my BURNT Orange shirt and SMOKE GRAY shorts???????

HnF

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2575515 09/12/11 03:49 AM
D
D Red Raider Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Camo is mostly for the "who has the newest/coolest/most expensive new gadget" contest held informally and subliminally in most deer hunting camps. I hunt almost exclusively in a blind and I wear whatever is the most comfortable and temperature appropriate. I put on camo for the "after" pics!!!!

So she says "sure Honey, I agree, you DO need a new deer rifle..." And that, boys, is how I ended up with new living room furniture!
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Hunt n Fish] #2575640 09/12/11 04:44 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
If it stays hot, I'm going back out in my blue short sleeve Hawaiian shirt with the palm trees, cargo shorts, panama hat & flip-flops....I do have one Hawaiian shirt in burnt orange and some smoke gray shorts just in case!
Hunt n fish your my kind of hunter,I like my flip-flops and Hawaiin shirts,pretty much my daily dress-unless I have business to attend to.If your in a stand you don't need camo,stalking I'm not sure, deer are color blind.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Erathkid] #2575696 09/12/11 07:57 AM
Critter Getter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
If you are coyote hunting on the ground you better be in some camo. Some animals are alot smarter than others. Ive noticed i have to pick my spots out of all the light brown grass and more in the shady darker areas to keep from sticking out. Try crow hunting in blue jeans and a bright shirt and let me know how that works out!

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2575764 09/12/11 11:45 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I hunt "commando".

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: icook'em] #2575858 09/12/11 12:56 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

hahahaha. :o) i got it too txtrophy85. i was just curious. my hubby just goes out in jeans hanging on to dear life by a thread and an old t-shirt which may or may not be camo - depends on the day. he never camos up 100% but i've been seeing camo fly off the shelves at Academy so was wondering if people really believed it disguised them from deer. :o)

I wear a camo shirt from time to time, because i like the shirt, not because its camo. Only thing i like about camo, is you can get blood on it and it won't show up after you wash it, not so with regular color shirts.

I do quite a bit of guiding, so I have to dress to a certain standards when on the job, have to play a character so to speak, so most of the time i'm in the field during season i'm in snake boots, jeans, nice (for hunting) shirt and a cowboy hat.

as for hunting in shorts and flip flops, forget it....i could't walk 40 yards down the road before my legs and feet would be full of thorns

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: txtrophy85] #2575915 09/12/11 01:18 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This thread makes me laugh. As mentioned in one if the posts above, if you hunt coyotes then you better have camo on. This is true. If you hunt ducks or geese you better have it as well. If I was hunting deer the ol fashion way like a spot and stalk then I would camo up. But sittin in a box stand... rofl

Re: was gonna go buy new camo this year.... [Re: Featherduster] #2575932 09/12/11 01:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Featherduster
This thread makes me laugh. As mentioned in one if the posts above, if you hunt coyotes then you better have camo on. This is true. If you hunt ducks or geese you better have it as well. If I was hunting deer the ol fashion way like a spot and stalk then I would camo up. But sittin in a box stand... rofl

wait ti'll you get a guy from houston that gets in full head to toe camo/including facemask and you show up to sit with him wearing jean, a burgandy shirt and a black hat.

look on their face's is priceless

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide