Print Thread
Question...Problems with the in laws.... #251338 11/12/07 01:50 AM
S
skidmore88 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Actually with my landowner's inlaws. I've been leasing same place the past 5 years and have had zero problems with the landowner. I follow his rules and guidelines to a Tee and he even gave me a key to a cabin he has on the property (an honor bestowed only to me).

He co-owns the land with his ex-wife but I've never met her. This year though her son asked me to move a feeder. Deer season had already started so told him that I wouldn't because the season had already started and the feeder had been in the same place all five years I'd been there. PLUS, he really didn't give a reason for the move except to say he wasn't "comfortable with its location." After talking a bit though he agreed to leave it alone.

Today, at deer thirty (about 5:45) the step son's wife drives into my hunting area, honking the horn, stereo blasting and proceeds to tromp around my feeders with a friend of hers. I COULD NOT BELIEVE WHAT WAS HAPPENING (and I think she was drunk). She talking about where things need to moved and plans they have for the place. I was disgusted to say the least and really didn't know what to do. They knew I was hunting and knew that they would be ruining the afternoon. Rather than risk an all out brawl, I left and called the land owner who was just as surprised and upset as I was about their interloping. He says he will be talking to them to get them out of my hair.

What are my rights here? I know I could be aggressive, promise an a%& kicking, and deliver one if need be but that's not how I imagined my hunting season. Isn't illegal to mess up somebody's hunting? Any advice (other than find a new place for next year...which for me is a given)would be appreciated.

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: skidmore88] #251339 11/12/07 02:18 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Game Warden... You pay money to hunt so she is harrassing you since you are paying. Civil court would say give your money back since you can't do what you are paying for. I would be surprised if they thought otherwise. If you weren't paying then you probably have no rights but you pay so you do. Not much you can do otherwise except pay or take down all structure and hunt from the ground only where they can't see where you are. just throw corn on trails.

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: skidmore88] #251340 11/12/07 02:19 AM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Sorry to hear that! Probably not much you can do but work with the land owner.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: skidmore88] #251341 11/12/07 03:09 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
First stop is the land owner, second stop is the GW and see about getting Hunter Harasement charges filed.

Third step, and I hate to say this, but be ready to get your stuff off the place.

This is family , and when push comes to shove, you will probably be the odd man out. JMO.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I am afraid it will only get worse.

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: Crazyhorse] #251342 11/12/07 03:45 AM
D
DeerHunter911 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
well if your close enough to where they stomp around if they come back again take a blow dart gun and pop some of those little suckers in them and see if they come back...?

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: Crazyhorse] #251343 11/12/07 04:02 AM
S
skidmore88 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

This is family , and when push comes to shove, you will probably be the odd man out. JMO.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I am afraid it will only get worse.

That's the way it looks from where I'm sitting too. I pay to hunt...not to get involved in power struggles.

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: DeerHunter911] #251344 11/12/07 01:26 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Welcome to the THF.

As for your advice, two results come to mind if you do that:

1. They might shoot back with something that will do more than sting.

2. They will call the Sheriffs Office and file assault charges on you.

Oh, there might be third result, that might just tear your vehicle up where you would be trying to walk home.

I am not defending the peoples actions, but in our modern age of lawsuits, even shooting some one in the arse with a BB Gun, has the potential for landing the shooter under a such a blown out mountain of , that the shooter might never get to hunt again. JMO.

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: Crazyhorse] #251345 11/12/07 02:06 PM
B
bigfoot35 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Hopefully you have a written lease agreement defining your rights as the lessee. Were you leasing the property before the divorce? Best bet is to talk to a lawyer.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: bigfoot35] #251346 11/12/07 02:33 PM
S
slow944 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I suggest that you call the Game Warden and let him deal with the ex-wife and family. If you are paying to lease the property and have it in writing that's how I would handle it.

I Have A 45 And A Shovel. Don't Mess With Texas!

According To "Kierchof's Law" Murphy Was An Optimist!

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: bigfoot35] #251347 11/12/07 02:36 PM
F
Family Style Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
First things first
Cool off and call the person you leased from. Don't threaten him or call a lawyer, game warden etc.Speak to him and ask him to fix the proplem. Rememeber its just one day in a 90 day hunting season.

If it happens again then drop the hammer on the kids and not the person you leased from.

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: Family Style] #251348 11/12/07 04:47 PM
C
cajundave Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Quote:

First things first
Cool off and call the person you leased from. Don't threaten him or call a lawyer, game warden etc.Speak to him and ask him to fix the proplem. Rememeber its just one day in a 90 day hunting season.

If it happens again then drop the hammer on the kids and not the person you leased from.

Agreed.

"Guns aren't toys!They're for family protection,hunting dangerous or delicious animals,and keeping the King of England out of your face!" H.Simpson
Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: cajundave] #251349 11/12/07 05:10 PM
O
OldChunkOfCoal Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Problem is that you probably don't have much effective recourse against the kids.

Nicely approach the landowner, and hopefully he can get it under control. If not, he owes you a refund for the hunting rights that you paid for but were not able to exercise.

But I'm gonna be a diamond someday
Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: OldChunkOfCoal] #251350 11/12/07 06:18 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I'll tell you something that you might already know but family can fight amoung themselves but bring in an outsider (you) and they will all be against you.My suggestion is deal with the gentleman that you leased from and let him take it up with the others.The son had to say something to momma or she wouldnt be there.
Good luck and if it was me i would start looking for another place for next year but maybe things can be worked out between them.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: John2] #251351 11/12/07 11:22 PM
S
skidmore88 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

The son had to say something to momma or she wouldnt be there.

It was the son's wife that caused all the ruckus.

Thanks for all the advice. I did take it up nicely with the man I lease from and found out today that the son nor any other member of the family knew what the son's wife was up to. Apprarently she has been admonished by all and I was told that I would not be seeing her back at the lease during huting season. We'll see what happens.

I must say that the day wasn't all bad. I took a nice hill country 8 pointer the morning of the afternoon incident. It dressed out at 102 lbs...not bad for a free range Bandera County buck.

Re: Question...Problems with the in laws.... [Re: skidmore88] #251352 11/12/07 11:43 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Glad everything worked out and it seems to worked out the best for you,i just assumed it was his mother,sorry.Looks like a good buck after all the ruckus.Congratulations

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide