Print Thread
am I imagining things?? #2410397 07/06/11 04:14 PM
B
bphillips Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Been out on our place the last 3-4 days working on a few things and a couple nights varmint hunting and every deer I have seen looks fat and healthy.. Even the fawns I have seen look good.. We also havent fed any sort of feed since Feb... Our rain has been nonexistent like everyone elses so it has me wondering.. Was our way above acorn crop from last year still feeding deer since there was no moisture? Are the mesquite beans (we have quite a bit) keeping them up? Or is there still enough natural browse to keep them healthy since we have absolutely no type of livestock?? My deer dont seem to LOOK any different than past years... Horns are still growing good, but they may be more brittle... Any ideas??

Last edited by bphillips; 07/06/11 04:15 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: bphillips] #2410446 07/06/11 04:30 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You are probably not overstocked like the rest of us are. Tell us your secret.

Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: bphillips] #2410469 07/06/11 04:39 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
The thing that a lot of people are forgeting about the whole rain situation is this; This is not the first time deer have ever had to deal with a drought. Deer have been around for thousands of years in these areas that aren't getting any rain. They survived then and they'll survive now. They are a very hearty animal, like most around there. Now, their racks may not bee as big as they would be in a wet year, but the deer will survive and continue to prosper.

This is just my opinion, but the drought really effects us, the hunters, way more than it does the deer. I'm not saying it doesn't effect the deer, but like I mentioned above, they've been around a long, long time in these parts. Lots of folks spend lots of money feeding protein and/or corn year round, planting food plots,gas, etc. Most folks I've seen do this do a great job of managing the herd and reaching good harvest numbers to "better the breed". I think the drought makes it tougher to manage the herd the way some are acustomed to managing, but the deer population will be fine.

Mud Shark

Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: Mud Shark] #2410519 07/06/11 04:57 PM
B
bphillips Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I knew we wouldnt lose many and they would survive, as we have plenty of water piped throughout the property and they will find something to eat, but what gets me is their bodys look just as good as last year... Horns may be different once the velvet is off but so far they dont look bad either... Thats why I was wondering if any of the things I listed could be the reason for my herds good health

Last edited by bphillips; 07/06/11 04:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: don k] #2410525 07/06/11 05:01 PM
B
bphillips Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: don k
You are probably not overstocked like the rest of us are. Tell us your secret.

if you mean overstocked with livestock its simple.. get a place with perimeter fencing so bad it has to be replaced instead of repaired and you go awhile before anything can be put on it rofl... well unless you have the money to do that all at once

[Linked Image]
Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: bphillips] #2410531 07/06/11 05:03 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The deer and pigs I've seen on the ranch look pretty good to me also. I protein feed and have plenty of water but I do believe the fawn crop and rack size will be down this year. It's bone dry out here but we got lucky and received about 5" of rain over a 3 week period back in April and early May. I think if we hadn't got that, it would be a whole different story.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: Stompy] #2410636 07/06/11 05:54 PM
B
bentman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I'm worried about this winter, thats when I think we will start to see a difference. No rain === no food for the winter thats when it will get tough.

If it bleeds I can KILL IT
Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: bphillips] #2410690 07/06/11 06:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: bphillips
Been out on our place the last 3-4 days working on a few things and a couple nights varmint hunting and every deer I have seen looks fat and healthy.. Even the fawns I have seen look good.. We also havent fed any sort of feed since Feb... Our rain has been nonexistent like everyone elses so it has me wondering.. Was our way above acorn crop from last year still feeding deer since there was no moisture? Are the mesquite beans (we have quite a bit) keeping them up? Or is there still enough natural browse to keep them healthy since we have absolutely no type of livestock?? My deer dont seem to LOOK any different than past years... Horns are still growing good, but they may be more brittle... Any ideas??

Shows that you have good habitat and the mesquite beans are what is keeping the deer healthy right now. What is does your browse plants look like? Are any of your neighbors feeding?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: am I imagining things?? [Re: stxranchman] #2410706 07/06/11 06:28 PM
B
bphillips Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: bphillips

Shows that you have good habitat and the mesquite beans are what is keeping the deer healthy right now. What is does your browse plants look like? Are any of your neighbors feeding?

From what Ive seen the browse has been picked on pretty good but there is still a good amount left its just not growing right back like the last two years.. The leaves arent bright green like normal but still has some color.. As for neighbors one is grazed down and doenst allow any hunting and our other two are HEAVILY grazed and they just try to draw deer from us during the season.. No feeding that I know of

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide