Forums46
Topics540,146
Posts9,758,744
Members87,206
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2309645 05/14/11 03:00 AM
D
duckkhunterr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Has anybody heard how things went with the hearing. Do I still need to call my rep and voice my dislike for this bill.

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: kindall] #2309882 05/14/11 07:02 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: kindall
Originally Posted By: mnsherick
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Once again then, you don't understand the bill... "hobby breeder" is not someone who takes on the huge expense, liability and responsibility of breeding and training for free, it is someone who does not breed COMMERICALLY. Supporters of the bill claim they are out to stop 'puppy mills' which churn out litters from 25-50 females per year. That is a far cry from someone who produces 1-3 litters per year.

This will not effect those 1-3 litter/year breeders, I think if 10 females isn't enough then you are either in the wrong business or your "hobby" is way out of control.

-Matt

What you don't seem to understand is not all the dogs on the property are used for breeding or even belong to the owner of the kennel. They are there for training. A large amount of these dogs will be intact (not spayed) when they are there. You only have to have custody of or control over the dog, you don't have to own it.

Thank you! This is why I keep saying "You don't understand the bill!" People jump to conclusions and often support poor legislation based on how the it is MARKETED by the representative pushing it. They don't seem to realize that politicians have their own motives and it's not 'just' about laws to 'make things right.' Wise constituents need to read pending legislation in totality and get the facts in order to make informed decisions.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: kindall] #2309884 05/14/11 07:06 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: kindall
CCBIRDDOGMAN I couldn't find where it states any amount of pups, only female dogs.
But what caught my eye and I already knew before seeing it was the Section.

Sec. 802.059. COMMERCIAL BREEDER TRAINING AND ENFORCEMENT
ACCOUNT.
(d)The department may solicit and accept gifts, grants, and
other donations from any source for deposit into the account.

I'd bet money that the Humane Society of America are the ones that really wrote this bill. They spend more money on lobbying than they ever spend on shelters. And for those of you that don't know the Humane Society is against the breeding of purebred dogs. Its on there website. In essence they are out to get rid of all breeders.

YOU NAILED IT!!!!! SEPHRONIA THOMPSON IS IN BED WITH HSUS!!!! I called her on it MONTHS AGO, talking directly with her legislative aid and all they could do was gag, stutter and then accuse me of being antagonistic and making accusations. So I told them to deny it and they refused to, said it had nothing to do with the topic - then changed the subject.

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2309886 05/14/11 07:10 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
This is the sentence I was referring to, but I just noticed it says dogs not puppies.

* Classifies sporting dog kennels or hobby breeders who have 11 female dogs that have not been spayed to be classified the same as a huge commercial dealer if they sell just two dogs.

They recalled the bill after the WORKING DOG PRESERVATION BILL was filed, then went back to the floor with this verbage added. This is a DIRECT ATTACK on working dogs which Representative James White is trying to protect by filing the WDPB. He and Thompson went rounds on this... so Thompson, not wanting to be one-upped came back with this crap. Meanwhile, White's bill is being pushed around from committee to committee. If it passes, ALL WORKING DOGS (including sporting dogs) will be EXEMPT. Sephronia whined that White's bill 'UNDOES' hers... and tried to get some under the table agreements going. But White works ABOVE BOARD and pushed for the bill to protect us. We need to get behind that bill and PUSH - PUSH - PUSH!!!!

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2309887 05/14/11 07:13 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
What we need to do is find out when and by what committee the WORKING DOG PRESERVATION BILL is being heard. Then contact the members of the committee and start telling them we support it. We need to keep pushing... all the way thru the Senate!

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2309897 05/14/11 07:35 AM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
the working dog bill is finally out of legislative council and on it's way back to the agriculture and livestock committee. We just need a date for it to go back. It's getting late in the session so we really need this bill to get moving.

Stand up for your rights to own and hunt with dogs
Join the Lonestar Working Dog Association
www.lswda.org
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: catchrcall] #2309900 05/14/11 07:48 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I'll be honest, catch, it looks like Sephronia Thompson was scamming all along. She asked for the working dog bill supporters not to rock the boat on her bill and supposedly, she would not rock the boat on the WORKING DOG PRESERVATION BILL, in exchange (back room politics.) That enabled her to push her bill with no friction, because the outcry from the working dog supporters was working! But now she is using stall tactics so that HER bill passes, WITH verbage specifically against sporting dogs, while the clock runs out on the WDPB.

Old political tactic... typical underhanded dirty dealing and two-faced politicians. I'm amazed every time I read post that indicate people have no idea that this stuff goes on in politics all the time.

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2312898 05/16/11 12:16 PM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I kinda wondered of that wouldn't happen. If you mess with a snake you usually get bit.

www.lswda.org
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2317506 05/18/11 07:10 AM
F
Freedom4ALL Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Old political tactic... typical underhanded dirty dealing and two-faced politicians. I'm amazed every time I read post that indicate people have no idea that this stuff goes on in politics all the time.

Sorry to say, but that's what exemptions are. So long as the chosen ones are exempt they accept regulations for the rest. It's a dirty deal and we all lose from it.

Here is a real example of what it leads to:

Man faces misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty after his dog kills young raccoon that caused some damage to garage

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2671149/posts

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: mnsherick] #2317509 05/18/11 07:32 AM
F
Freedom4ALL Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: mnsherick

Once again then, you don't understand the bill... "hobby breeder" is not someone who takes on the huge expense, liability and responsibility of breeding and training for free, it is someone who does not breed COMMERICALLY. Supporters of the bill claim they are out to stop 'puppy mills' which churn out litters from 25-50 females per year. That is a far cry from someone who produces 1-3 litters per year.

This will not effect those 1-3 litter/year breeders, I think if 10 females isn't enough then you are either in the wrong business or your "hobby" is way out of control.

-Matt

The biggest problem with your erroneous statement is that you have no authority to dictate how much property I or anyone else owns or what we do with it. The second rated problem with your erroneous statement is that you, clearly, lack experience on the topic you nonetheless chose to spout off about. Truth be known twenty intact females over the age of six months isn't too many. It's a business like any other, and one that I feel, is best left to the professionals.

http://www.dbestbullies.com/

How many horses is too many for a breeder to own? How many tropical fish? How many head of cattle?

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: Freedom4ALL] #2317513 05/18/11 07:42 AM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
How does the dog/coon story have anything to do with an exemption?

www.lswda.org
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: catchrcall] #2320809 05/19/11 11:18 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
We need to keep the pressure on.
http://www.kens5.com/news/State-senator-wants-puppy-mill--122004949.html

The Texas Tribune
State senator wants 'puppy mill' bill to target abusers, not hobby breeders .

A controversial bill meant to shut down puppy mills has drawn another outspoken opponent in state Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston.

"I'm a barking 'no,'" Patrick said during a public hearing on the bill that turned into a raucous affair last week.

The so-called puppy mill bill, HB 1451, was approved in the Senate Criminal Justice Committee on Friday and now awaits approval from the full Senate. But before that happens, state Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, said he is working to narrow the scope of the measure to ensure that it targets animal abusers and not hobby breeders or others who humanely raise dogs. "We want to make certain we don't have any unintended consequences," said Whitmire, the Senate sponsor of the House bill authored by state Rep. Senfronia Thompson, D-Houston.

The bill would impose new licensing requirements and regulations on dog breeders. Anyone with 11 or more unspayed female dogs would be considered a commercial breeder subject to licensing and regulations. The bill would require breeders to pay licensing fees and to abide by strict rules governing the animals’ living conditions and health care. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation would develop and enforce the regulations.

Patrick and others who oppose the bill agree that puppy mills ought to be shuttered. Those are facilities where owners keep dogs in squalid conditions and force them to breed repeatedly. But the current bill, they say, wouldn't stop bad breeders. Instead, the strict regulations and expensive requirements for veterinary care, Patrick and others argue, would drive out of business good breeders who follow the guidelines. "The bill as written would have a very negative impact on dog breeders who are the good guys," he said. One measure that Patrick took particular umbrage with was a requirement for dog breeders to conduct criminal background checks on their employees. "That’s a crock in my view," he said during the committee hearing. "That’s beyond reasonable licensing. That’s just ridiculous."

Van Zandt County Sheriff R.P. "Pat" Burnett told the Senate committee that he has used existing anti-cruelty laws to shut down puppy mills and confiscate more than 3,000 animals. What's needed, Burnett said, are tougher penalties for existing cruelty laws. "This bill will not stop them, period," he said.

Opponents of the bill argue that puppy mill operators would simply avoid becoming licensed, thereby evading the increased costs that come with the regulations. And under the legislation, the only penalty for failing to get licensed would be a fine. Meanwhile, breeders who comply with the rules would shell out thousands for licensing fees and veterinary care.

Whitmire and supporters of the measure say it won't affect breeders who raise animals humanely. "We're there to find the dogs that are locked up in crates, small cages, feces everywhere, distemper, parvo puppies, dying," Sgt. Joseph Guerra, an investigator at the Houston Humane Society, told the committee.

Whitmire said his version of the bill would exempt breeders who raise hunting dogs, and it might also exempt show dog breeders. He is also considering a change to the bill that would base licensing requirements on the number of animals a breeder sells rather than on the number of dogs owned. While he is willing to address "legitimate concerns" about the bill, Whitmire said he is unimpressed by those who object to the bill simply because they oppose government involvement.

Puppy mills are a real problem, Whitmire said, and Texas needs to put them out of business. He said he is "guardedly optimistic" that the measure will be approved by the full Senate when it comes up for a vote. "We've got more work to do." he said.

Patrick said he thinks the bill could be changed enough to gain his support. "I think we can easily fix it," he said.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: catchrcall] #2331172 05/24/11 10:17 PM
F
Freedom4ALL Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted By: catchrcall

What's the likelihood it would've happened 20 years ago? Guess why it's happening now? Because ignorant people, such as several right here on this site, think it won't ever touch them. That it won't ever go that far. Well it has.

The animal rights zealots are pushing for the end to all animal use by enacting more and more laws against what you can and can't do with animals. And the fact that you don't see it is exactly how they easily persuade you to fall in line. Common understanding of the U.S. Constitution should tell you there is a problem with the term 'rights' in animal rights.

Don't believe me?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07/...ghts-proponent/

Bottom line is; you either stand for freedom or you don't.

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: Freedom4ALL] #2331738 05/25/11 02:20 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Freedom4ALL

What's the likelihood it would've happened 20 years ago? Guess why it's happening now? Because ignorant people, such as several right here on this site, think it won't ever touch them. That it won't ever go that far. Well it has.

The animal rights zealots are pushing for the end to all animal use by enacting more and more laws against what you can and can't do with animals. And the fact that you don't see it is exactly how they easily persuade you to fall in line. Common understanding of the U.S. Constitution should tell you there is a problem with the term 'rights' in animal rights.

Don't believe me?

AWESOME comment. Thank you. Wish more folk were awake/aware/educated about such things...

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #2331750 05/25/11 02:24 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I got a call from a news station today, wanting to interview me and visit the kennels regarding the puppy mill bill. Seems even some in the MSM understand this bill is DESTRUCTIVE to the production of quality dogs at affordable prices. Sadly, I was on my way to another appointment with TPWD and could not entertain the press - but I would love to have imparted some 'enlightenment' on the topic!

Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: Freedom4ALL] #2332613 05/25/11 04:42 PM
C
catchrcall Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Freedom4ALL

Don't believe me?

I understand now. Believe me I'm all about freedom.

www.lswda.org
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: catchrcall] #2343688 05/31/11 09:33 PM
G
G K Chambers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Bill: HB 1451
Legislative Session: 82(R) Council Document: 82R 8124 MAW-F
Add to Bill List
Last Action: 05/30/2011 E Sent to the Governor
Caption Version: Enrolled
Caption Text: Relating to the licensing and regulation of certain dog and cat breeders; providing penalties.

Internet Blowhard Detection Pro Staff
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: G K Chambers] #2344656 06/01/11 11:12 AM
C
comet Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
"TEXAS LEGISLATION 2011

HB 1451 Commercial Dog & Cat Breeder Act

UPDATE 5/31. We have no idea how fast HB 1451 will be placed in front of Governor Perry for signature. It is URGENT for all sportsmen, dog fanciers, and cat fanciers to email and fax his office. Fax is preferred.

CONTACT INFORMATION AND WEBPAGE FOR EMAIL
Phone (512) 463-2000; (800) 843-5789
Fax: (512) 463-1849

SAMPLE LETTER

The Honorable Rick Perry
Governor, State of Texas
PO Box 12428
Austin, TX 78711-2428

Re: Opposition to HB 1451, the misnamed “Puppy Mill Bill”

Dear Governor Perry,

Please VETO HB 1451, the HSUS Anti-Breeder Bill that is a national “animal rights” legislative agenda. It is not written to regulate Texas dog and cat breeders, but to eliminate them. Texas is not a “puppy mill” state and there’s no need for this legislation.

Personalize here – write a brief sentence or two about yourself and your specific animal interest.

HB 1451 requires that kennel standards must at a minimum meet federal USDA regulations. The only breeders who can meet these standards are the existing 36 USDA licensed facilities in Texas. Owning 11 intact females and selling 20 puppies should not qualify anyone as a commercial breeder. Selling 20 puppies can easily be met with two litters from a large breed dog.

Last November's elections have shown that voters want an open transparent government and we definitely didn't witness that with this bill. HB 1451 was rammed through by Rep. Senfronia Thompson and Senator John Whitmire with no regard for House or Senate rules. The entire process was corrupted.

President Cile Holloway, Texas Humane Legislation Network (THLN), has publicly stated they wanted to get "anything" passed this session and come back later. Senator Whitmire said the bill will be back next session. HB 1451 is only the beginning--not the end.

The exemptions hastily added to the bill at the last minute are meaningless and will have to be defined in the court system. Dogs "bred for hunting, herding, tracking, chasing, pointing, flushing, or retrieving game, competing in field trials, hunting tests, or similar organized performance events" is ambiguous and not defined anywhere. How will this be determined?

No exemptions were added for dog and cat show fanciers. HB 1451 punishes law abiding Texas citizens who care the most about their dogs and cats by charging them high fees to continue doing what they are already doing in compliance with the law.

Veto HB 1451 and save our pets.

Sincerely, Your name "

Last edited by comet; 06/01/11 11:13 AM.

www.CrumplerKennels.com offering Top Quality Labrador puppies at an affordable price.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crumpler-Kennels/365969876809627
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: comet] #2344883 06/01/11 02:11 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
I copied & pasted this to Word & added my sentence & name, etc. and faxed it over to Mr. Perry.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #2378449 06/20/11 12:15 AM
C
comet Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
website called Texas Legislature Online History has posted that Perry signed the bill on 06/17/2011

Last edited by comet; 06/20/11 12:16 AM.
Re: House Bill 1451 - Urgent Call to Action [Re: comet] #2378865 06/20/11 03:08 AM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Well its true Prick Perry signed it.

http://www.akc.org/news/

[Saturday, June 18, 2011]
Texas Governor Rick Perry has signed House Bill 1451 into law. AKC opposed this legislation as it will negatively impact responsible owners and breeders and will not improve animal welfare in Texas.

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation is ordered to promulgate regulations by March 31, 2012. Those meeting the thresholds set forth in HB 1451 will have until September 1, 2012 to come into compliance with the provisions of this bill and the subsequent regulations and to obtain the license. The American Kennel Club and our local clubs will work within the upcoming regulatory process to protect responsible owners and breeders as much as possible. We will update our website and Texas constituents as this issue progresses.

The AKC thanks all the clubs and individuals who worked to oppose this legislation and took the time contact their elected officials.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide