Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217525 10/03/07 02:05 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Guy, you as a moderator I have a request of you. Take it up with the other moderators please. And asking here because I would like the input of the membership on the suggestion. Since 50% of the membership, either due to age, personality, new vs old, whatever. Still the membership falls on either side of the arguement and lake nameing seems to be the split. How about no longer letting guys hijack threads like mine that post a pictures of hunt or a scouting report. Or to be insulted either directly or indirectly in follow up posts? To nip those in the bud and have them take the debates to a new post. What do you and everyone else think. It kinda falls into the rules of the forum. Or does it?
Thanks,
John

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Sniper John] #217526 10/03/07 02:08 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Don't know if you noticed, but I copied your poll, rephrased it for the general outdoorsman and posted it in the general hunting forum.

I think you probably tainted my poll by doing that, because one thing I have noticed is that duck hunters it seems feel more strongly about this matter. I think mainly because there is a higher percentage of duck hunters vs deer hunters that hunt public vs private. To me hunting public is the ultimate challange, hunting private is like “high fence” hunting. I’m not knocking it, I’m just saying, there is a bigger sense of accomplishment getting a limit on public vs private. It is all good tho, but public hunting is about challenge IMO, why dilute the challenge by posting all the answers on the internet, I frankly would like to see a law against it!

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Sniper John] #217527 10/03/07 02:08 AM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quote:

My take on this is ... We are our own individuals. We make our own choices in life. Since you split the poll at 3 I would say if that 50% of members here want to post a picture or story and mention what lake they were on, they should have that right without being insulted, bullied, having the post used as a podium, or be called names by the other 50%.
John

That's it! Well stated!

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: FamousAmos] #217528 10/03/07 02:18 AM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
That's an odd take on private vs public you have there guy. Hell I hunt private quite a bit...if you don't think it takes a lot of work for me to get on those spots you are mistaken. It's another type of work...you have to really do a different kind of leg work. No need for me to go into detail but if you think about it you could probably see what I mean.

Also that high fence comparison isnt really a good one at all. Just because you are on a privately owned piece of land gives you not greater chance of shooting ducks over public land. The only advantage is you don't have to get up as early to beat the other hunters to your spot.

Kind of reminds me of the saying don't work harder work smarter.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217529 10/03/07 02:21 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Quote:

Quote:

Don't know if you noticed, but I copied your poll, rephrased it for the general outdoorsman and posted it in the general hunting forum.

I think you probably tainted my poll by doing that, because one thing I have noticed is that duck hunters it seems feel more strongly about this matter. I think mainly because there is a higher percentage of duck hunters vs deer hunters that hunt public vs private. To me hunting public is the ultimate challange, hunting private is like “high fence” hunting. I’m not knocking it, I’m just saying, there is a bigger sense of accomplishment getting a limit on public vs private. It is all good tho, but public hunting is about challenge IMO, why dilute the challenge by posting all the answers on the internet, I frankly would like to see a law against it!

The two polls had such different results that I serously doubt it. The other poll came in late and the results on the migratory poll, though a different number of voters your poll actually had a swing to the lake namer side at that point.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Sniper John] #217530 10/03/07 02:24 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Guy, you as a moderator I have a request of you. Take it up with the other moderators please.

They have their opinion, I have mine, we need to all try to respect it!

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Sniper John] #217531 10/03/07 02:29 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

How about no longer letting guys hijack threads like mine that post a pictures of hunt or a scouting report. Or to be insulted either directly or indirectly in follow up posts? To nip those in the bud and have them take the debates to a new post. What do you and everyone else think.

Yeah, I do not think that is cool. I hope I can stop some of that this year, we got more active mods, so things should be better. Just don't name my lakes!!

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: FamousAmos] #217532 10/03/07 02:44 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

My take on this is ... We are our own individuals. We make our own choices in life. Since you split the poll at 3 I would say if that 50% of members here want to post a picture or story and mention what lake they were on, they should have that right without being insulted, bullied, having the post used as a podium, or be called names by the other 50%.
John

That's it! Well stated!

Ok, so first of all, just remember, us mods are really just members like you guys, we volunteer because we love this place, JP just empowered us with more edit functions, and he gave us that power to help lead discussions in favorable ways. But we do not make the rules!!

But just think about this a bit, we are all here to get along, would you walk into a party or a bar and say something that is going to piss off 50% off the room? I don’t think you would, I would not, but that is just me!!!

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217533 10/04/07 02:11 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Quote:

hunting private is like “high fence” hunting

"That's a bold statement"

Vincent Vega - Pulp Fiction (1994)

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: ndhunter] #217534 10/04/07 02:16 AM
C
CoryAnderson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
He is just mad cause, he does'nt have any to hunt on...

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: CoryAnderson] #217535 10/04/07 01:22 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
that must be it

maybe we need a public vs private duck hunt poll

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: CoryAnderson] #217536 10/04/07 01:33 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

He is just mad cause, he does'nt have any to hunt on...

I would love to have my own private place to duck hunt and will some day, I would even like to do high fence deer hunting some day, but I also love hunting public, it has it’s own unique challenge, I personally do not like it when all the answers and clues are posted on the internet. I would love to hunt dove public, but I have just never been successful there,some on here have, and I tip my hat to them, but I have with public duck, a little scouting work pays.

Hey guys, there is the new video game out. It is called “Public Duck Hunting” . The game is in 2 parts. Part 1 is scouting, you get in your truck, check out lakes, look for ducks and spots till you find ducks and good spots. Part 2, you go out and shoot them. It is a great game, you guys should try.

You can also go on the internet, there is a forum where guys posts all the answers, so you can just motor past part 1 and go to part 2. How many of you guys would do that? Funny that is my son when we get a new video game “Dad, you want me to tell you what to do? I can get you past that level.” And I’m like “No, I want to do it on my own!” I do see public duck hunting as a game, kinda like a treasure hunt.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: ndhunter] #217537 10/04/07 01:51 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

maybe we need a public vs private duck hunt poll

Make a poll on private, my guess is 95% of the folks could careless about private info posted on the internet, I personally would like to see that, but that is just me!!

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217538 10/04/07 02:00 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I would actually not post the location of most of my hunts on private land either...I name the city or area though. Think about it...I mean if I get an owners OK to hunt it...I don't need to make other people aware of that because they might start asking the land owner as well next thing you know people hunt it out and it's crappy or they start leaving trash or annoying the land owner so much that he says...no more hunting at my place.

It would be great to own some land then I'd tell people exactly where it was...and then allow those who ask to come hunt it. One day!

Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Marcstar] #217539 10/04/07 05:09 PM
B
bigfoot35 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Hunt public and private areas and keep my mouth shut about both. If I have done a lot of legwork and find a really good spot on public land, I don't feel like I should tell someone else and have them show up there the next weekend. Let them do some work. As far as private, used to lease a place that was full of ducks, mentioned to a guy who hunted a lease a few miles from me. Next thing I know, he gets a group of guys together and offers the landowner twice what I leased if for. Can't blame the landowner for taking the higher amount. Guess I learned my lesson the hard way.

BF35

Geaux Tigers!!!!
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217540 10/04/07 07:17 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
My vote was for #8. But I have shared prvtly with people on this site, and offered to take a few people hunting from this site. You will not see me jump anyone that does post info. If they want to ruin there spot so be it.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: ducknbass] #217541 10/04/07 09:30 PM
R
R.G.C. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Quote:

My vote was for #8. But I have shared prvtly with people on this site, and offered to take a few people hunting from this site. You will not see me jump anyone that does post info. If they want to ruin there spot so be it.

Now that you put it that way it sounds good to let them post they're spots so people leave the one's we found alone.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: R.G.C.] #217542 10/05/07 01:09 AM
R
rj45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Hey guys! I just found a huge pile of money over there by that big rock. There's still a huge amount left. I plan on getting the rest in a couple days.

NRA, DU & DW Member
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: ducknbass] #217543 10/05/07 01:44 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I voted to name region but that was it. Heck, I posted a picture on here of a tree in a private flooded field and one of the members had hunted the same spot with his friend!! I removed the picture since I don't want to lose access to it b/c someone knows of it and talks to the landowner for sole rights or something due to how good it is. Unless your name is on the tax records even private land access can be taken from you due to an outfitter or someone offering money to the landowner. Nothing wrong with that but no need in giving a spot away on the internet.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217544 10/06/07 12:49 PM
D
DuckCrazy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I beleive the whole deal is a crock. I moved to DFW a year ago,love to duck hunt, but dont have the slightest idea on where to start.I also have no one to go with or a boat to figure it out ,so in some cases a start is needed, but some folks on here regard a spot on public land theirs and get pissed if you ask. the way I see it is what is it hurting if you do it or not, who knows you might make a friend or two and have someone to hunt with first off ,and be united as hunters and have a unified front as hunters. granted you have to be careful of folks ,so you get together in the off season and see if you get along to do this and go from there.there is definately no harm in sharing the love of the sport, to me its no different than takin someone to your deer lease or dove lease.when I lived in San Antonio it was no big deal I had places to go to and people to go with but here im a plucked duck.

I'll hit ya so hard you'll have to clear your throat to fart! Roy D Mercer.
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: DuckCrazy] #217545 10/06/07 05:31 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
As I've always said you need to go out in your community and find people that like to hunt and start making friends with them. People at work, church, where ever...Get on a local DU or Delta committee and start networking.

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Marcstar] #217546 10/06/07 05:37 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T
Quote:

As I've always said you need to go out in your community and find people that like to hunt and start making friends with them. People at work, church, where ever...Get on a local DU or Delta committee and start networking.

Excellent idea Marcstar

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: TreeBass] #217547 11/08/07 02:51 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
bump

Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: Guy] #217548 11/08/07 02:53 AM
D
duckkilla Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Guy-
Are you trying to hint at something about posting lake names?
Because I will be hunting on Lewicoopraybobafork. Just like that cell phone commercial.

Last edited by duckkilla; 11/08/07 02:56 AM.
Re: Where do you draw the line? [Re: duckkilla] #217549 11/08/07 03:55 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Guy-
Are you trying to hint at something about posting lake names?

No, not me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide