Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Serial Numbers on guns #213033 09/20/07 08:59 PM
kwrhuntinglab Online Shocked OP
"The Guardian"
OP Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
Just out of curiousity and a conversation with another guy on here......How many of you guys ask for the serial numbers on used guns you buy?
Do we really know if the gun we have just bought might have been stolen years ago and sold a couple of times.....
Just curious.....
If you ever get caught with a gun you bought that was stolen, do we actually know that we could be charged with being in possession of stolen property even though we didn't know......Food for thought....

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #213034 09/20/07 09:13 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
You'd never know unless 1) You turn in the serial numbers to the authorities, 2) there was a report filed, and 3) the report was filed with the authorities you turned the S# in to (allthough these days perhaps there is a central database for stolen firearms).

It happens, though I wouldn't worry about something happening to you other than loosing what you thought was your property and whatever money you paid for it.

I worked in a pawnshop when I was in HS and college. We reported everything that was bought or hocked. Every once in awhile something would turn up as stolen. We'd turn it over to the LE and fill out a deposition on who we obtained it from. Occassionally we'd have to go in and file testimony.

Bottom line is you'd loose the property and whatever you had paid for it - but you wouldn't be in any trouble yourself, that is unless the police knew/suspected that you knowingly and intentionally purchased stolen property - which is another can of worms all together.

Earl

Last edited by Earl; 09/20/07 09:14 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #213035 09/20/07 09:23 PM
J
JCB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
In order for them to find out it is stolen they would have to run the serial number, and it will only come up stolen if someone took the time to record the serial number and then report it to the police.

I have come in contact with law enforcement on many ocasions while in possession of firearms and they have never taken the time to check the serial numbers on them.

If by chance it did come up stolen then you might be in some trouble but I dont think they could ever prove that you had any knowledge of it being stolen prior to you purchasing it, therefore I dont see why they would want to prosecute a unsuspecting citizen.

Anyway, to answer your question....NO I dont ask for a serial number or a bill of sale when buying a used firearm. But YES you could get in trouble for having stolen property. I just dont see what good it would do to pursue charges against you unless you are the one that stole it or you knowingly bought stolen property.

Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: JCB] #213036 09/20/07 09:25 PM
J
JCB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Looks like Earl hit the submit button before me.

Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #213037 09/20/07 09:41 PM
R
rj45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I scratch all mine off.

NRA, DU & DW Member
Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: Earl] #213038 09/20/07 11:13 PM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

You'd never know unless 1) You turn in the serial numbers to the authorities, 2) there was a report filed, and 3) the report was filed with the authorities you turned the S# in to (allthough these days perhaps there is a central database for stolen firearms).

It happens, though I wouldn't worry about something happening to you other than loosing what you thought was your property and whatever money you paid for it.

I worked in a pawnshop when I was in HS and college. We reported everything that was bought or hocked. Every once in awhile something would turn up as stolen. We'd turn it over to the LE and fill out a deposition on who we obtained it from. Occassionally we'd have to go in and file testimony.

Bottom line is you'd loose the property and whatever you had paid for it - but you wouldn't be in any trouble yourself, that is unless the police knew/suspected that you knowingly and intentionally purchased stolen property - which is another can of worms all together.

Earl

You are correct, you are not breaking the law if you buy something "Unknowingly" that was stolen. You just loose the item because the original owner deserves the item back.

I am still hoping that I will get the call one day on guns that were stolen from me.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: Rwuensch] #213039 09/20/07 11:28 PM
kwrhuntinglab Online Shocked OP
"The Guardian"
OP Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
I was just curious with all the gun sales that we have on here.....if people ask or not.....especially when someone sells guns pretty cheap.....not meaning on here, but just anywhere in particular...
Would hate to buy something then have it taken away if found that it was stolen....but the rightful owner should have it back...

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #213040 09/21/07 01:35 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Ya'll are Nutz! TO TRUST ANYBODY THAT MUCH. BTDT and have gotten SCREWED BLUE. JMHO 'cause I've BTDT ...but YMMV until THAT day comes when John Law knocks on the door and and and and they decide NOT to accept "I dunno who the guy was"...he was a friend of my cousin's uncles sister little brother ..and rented the house 'cross the street from them 5 years ago.

Been screwed for the very last time and ain't never gonna be anybody's B#### again.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: WileyCoyote] #213041 09/21/07 12:14 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Unless i know the person real well, i always ask for the numbers before the purchase, if he doesnt give them to me, i don't buy. Even if i do know them, i still run the numbers just in case. He may have unknowingly purchased a stolen gun.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 09/21/07 12:15 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: HWY_MAN] #213042 09/21/07 12:22 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
You can contact local LE and most times they can run the serial number for you. Several people have asked me to do it for them and it only takes about 30 seconds for dispatch to do. Out of all I have checked, only one has turned up stolen. It was confiscated and turned in.

Re: Serial Numbers on guns [Re: copperhead] #213043 09/21/07 01:22 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yep, i do it through our SO, don't take but a minute.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide