Page 1 of 2 1 2
It's bad signal? #206741 09/04/07 06:51 PM
B
BeerCorner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I find my buddy's doing "Pee" near to my feeder. I know it' a scoff, but i want to enjoy the season (to try). I'm a beginner.
Q:It' bad (pee)?

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: BeerCorner] #206742 09/04/07 07:29 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Never, Never let anyone pee near your feeder. If they are doing it now, they may get in the habit of doing it during the season. I caught my brother-in-law peeing near my hog trap and nearly killed him cuz I had told him to not do that anymore. You will be leaving human scent at your feeder everytime you feed it or check it. No sense in leaving a puddle of pee. A lot of people may disagree with me but I think it is very bad karma.

IMPEACH!! IMPEACH!! REVOLT!! REVOLT!! REVOLTING!! REVOLTING!!
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: BeerCorner] #206743 09/05/07 12:51 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Welcome to The Forum.

You have asked a good one there. You have heard from one side, I am sure you will hear from the other side.

Just a hint, some folks don't think it hurts a thing.

In fact some folks on here have stated that they watched bucks come along and scrape and pee in the exact same spot.

I don't believe any of us know 100% positively how a deer reacts to different things.

Hope you enjoy being on here.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: Crazyhorse] #206744 09/05/07 01:21 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
i pee near the feeders when i fill them up with corn ( usually cause i'm drinking beer ) i have never, ever had a problem with deer comming to it. i'm talkin i hit the legs with it.

i pee near the feeders, and leave as much scent as possible, to get the deer accustomed to the smell, and therefore, when they smell it somewhere besides the feeder, it dosen't bother them

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: txtrophy85] #206745 09/05/07 01:34 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
A lot of the time when I'm going through the rut I do the same thing. I scratch up the ground jump up and down and beller like a elk. Nothing ever happens though!!!

I personally don't think it does anything to disturb the deer. Good question though.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: txtrophy85] #206746 09/05/07 01:35 AM
D
DTCOOPER Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I too have heard both sides of this argument..
Personally, I don't think it makes a difference in the world. Our urine is not potent enough to hang around for more than a few minutes at best anyway..
JMO.. (along with other studies I have read about scent and our "trail")

Daniel
Just Because... That's why.
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: DTCOOPER] #206747 09/05/07 01:38 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
yeah, I never worry about where I pee. I have even stood up in a tripod while hunting before and took a leak.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: DTCOOPER] #206748 09/05/07 01:41 AM
B
BigBow Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
it don't matter - I pee'ed off of TCH's stand every time I hunted it and all most all of the deer we killed last yr we at that stand / feeder... this yr I will be peeing out of mine every morning.... lifes to short not to pee in the woods!

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: txtrophy85] #206749 09/05/07 01:44 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't think taking a Big Old #2 by the feeder would be a good idea, but over the years I have been hunting, when it comes to animal behavior and what they will or won't do, there are few if any absolutes. JMO.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: txtrophy85] #206750 09/05/07 01:48 AM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Quote:

i pee near the feeders, and leave as much scent as possible, to get the deer accustomed to the smell, and therefore, when they smell it somewhere besides the feeder, it dosen't bother them

Great example of another reason mature bucks don't hang out around feeders during the daytime or anywhere else human odor is left. I'll stick with rubber boots and trying not to mess with my feeders unless I have to. (you know, that always seemed to work too ) The last place I want human scent is anywhere near the feeder. Sure, does and small bucks will still come in most of the time, but why in the world would anyone in their right mind leave as much scent as possible around their hunting area.....
I can tell you one thing for sure, it dang sure is NOT going increase your odds.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: BeerCorner] #206751 09/05/07 01:49 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I filled the feeder and peed right next to it and I have five deer under it with a nice buck 45 minutes later. This was in July or August I believe.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: Crazyhorse] #206752 09/05/07 01:50 AM
C
cajundave Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
If you ever decide you want him to stop peeing on your feeder, run a varmit buster on the legs. I swipe with the stream on one of those things will make anyone think twice about peeing near a feeder.

"Guns aren't toys!They're for family protection,hunting dangerous or delicious animals,and keeping the King of England out of your face!" H.Simpson
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: DTCOOPER] #206753 09/05/07 01:51 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think it depends on how much human contact the deer have, if it is a common smell and there was no danger and they have been around the smell for quite a bit the deer soon learn that there is no danger and soon ignore it. Same with any smell, if the deer become used to the smell and have not had any reason to associate that smell with danger they tend to ignore it. Same with sounds, if the deer see and hear a pickup in the pasture 3 or 4 times a week after awhile they tend to ignore it. But change from say a diesel to a gas pickup and they go on alert. The guy that farm leases our place drives a diesel, they ignore him but spook when we show up in our gas pickup unless we have been going in and out a couple of times a week for a couple of months. We don't use ATVs, had a guy show up a couple of years ago with one and did not see anything for over 3 days compared to seeing something every time we are there.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: dogcatcher] #206754 09/05/07 01:24 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
It makes alot of sense to me to go ahead and pee on your feeder, all over your blind and might as well just piss your pants on your way to the blind every morning and evening. You go out and buy "Scent-Lok" clothing, wash all your clothes in special detergents for odor and ultraviolets, use cover scents and attractants. Go to all of that trouble and then pee on your feeder and blind. Good Hunting!!!

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: atascosa_red] #206755 09/05/07 04:26 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Quote:

It makes alot of sense to me to go ahead and pee on your feeder, all over your blind and might as well just piss your pants on your way to the blind every morning and evening. You go out and buy "Scent-Lok" clothing, wash all your clothes in special detergents for odor and ultraviolets, use cover scents and attractants. Go to all of that trouble and then pee on your feeder and blind. Good Hunting!!!

It never ceases to amaze me on topics disgusted hear!

All you guys can go pee, spit, and crap at your hunting area and hunt it with a rifle. I’ll not do all that BS and hunt it with a bow. We’ll see what happens by the end of the season!

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: atascosa_red] #206756 09/05/07 06:10 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Maybe because sweat, bad breath, etc are all "human" scents. That is what all that stuff is for.
I have read that, as long as you don't drink alot of caffeine or eat, say asparagus before you go hunting, then the smell of your urine is from ammonnia which deer do not associate with human scent. Also, human urine is not potent enough to stay around for along time.
Anyways this is just what I have read, so you can do what you want but there is no sense in getting all defensive because others do pee near their hunting areas.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: cbump] #206757 09/05/07 06:11 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Here:
DO YOU WHIZ OFF YOUR TREE STAND
Question
I read in one of your articles that you pee off your tree stand? Okay, so why do I spend so much time and money on Scent-Lok, odor-killing sprays, playing the wind, etc. if I can just go out and urinate without messing up my chances of shooting a buck?

- Rob Mcconnell

Answer
Hanback: I used to take all the necessary precautions (urine bottle) but now I look around to make sure no deer are coming, then let fly off stand. Why? Several of the country's top deer biologists have told me that urine is 95% water and virtually toxic-free depending on what you've eaten (confirmed by several medical encyclopedias). One scientist from Auburn University went as far as to say that human urine is actually a mammalian attractant. I would not pee to attract deer, but I've learned the scent of it doesn't seem to spook them.

I should note that many of the pros I've hunted with over the years are split: some pee off stand, some don't.

The reason you still spend time and big $$$$ on scent control for your body, hair, clothing, etc. is that you are continuously losing millions of odor-filled molecules into the air from these sources, and anything you can do to cut down on that is good. I know from experience that Scent-Lok and Scent Blocker work and help cut down your scent molecules, but I don't buy "forget the wind, just hunt." You've got to hunt downwind or crosswind of where you expect to see deer, everytime.

You're right, it doesn't seem to fit. Spend hours and $$$ on scent control, then pee? But you can do it and still shoot a buck. Thanks for the question.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: cbump] #206758 09/05/07 06:38 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is funny...a lease guy last year was lerking trying to get info of somesort last year. I caught wind of it and joked about peeing around his stand. He said it spooked deer blah blah blah...I think it was his bald head shining in the sunlight...we hadn't done anything. As a matter of fact the only peeing I had done was by my stand. Had this nice 9 and 10 coming into my bowstand. I would pee on their scrapes everytime I was around them. They(the scrapes) would be worked over every morning. It doesn't matter near as much as some think.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: cbump] #206759 09/05/07 06:59 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Not getting defensive, just stating MY OPINION. You all can pee on your feeders, blinds, scrapes, or whatever. Just don't pee on mine!!! I am entitled to my opinion, ain't arguing with anyone. JMO JMO JMO

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: txcornhusker] #206760 09/05/07 07:16 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
When I was in the military I peed in the bed and they got all defensive about that too!! I tried that other stunt too and that didn't work either!!

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: atascosa_red] #206761 09/05/07 07:18 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Dogs can tell if somebody has cancer by smelling pee, and Balsa wood is classified as a hardwood. Life is funny, huh?

I know when I was a boy deer and coon would be the first animals to the cornfield after we hung the scarecrow with that day's sweaty clothes. Of course, during hunting season, deer know the difference...right?

I happen to agree with Randall - there are no absolutes.

Sorry about the late edit...having a hard time getting in here.

WELCOME TO THF!

Last edited by Big_Orn; 09/05/07 08:23 PM.
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: atascosa_red] #206762 09/18/07 07:46 PM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
"It makes alot of sense to me to go ahead and pee on your feeder, all over your blind and might as well just piss your pants on your way to the blind every morning and evening. You go out and buy "Scent-Lok" clothing, wash all your clothes in special detergents for odor and ultraviolets, use cover scents and attractants. Go to all of that trouble and then pee on your feeder and blind. Good Hunting!!!"

Now that was funny!

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: Cool_Hand] #206763 09/19/07 12:18 AM
R
rj45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Quote:

A lot of the time when I'm going through the rut I do the same thing. I scratch up the ground jump up and down and beller like a elk. Nothing ever happens though!!!

I personally don't think it does anything to disturb the deer. Good question though.

That is a damn good tactic if you ask me.

NRA, DU & DW Member
Re: It's bad signal? [Re: BeerCorner] #206764 09/19/07 02:56 AM
C
CurtisCatfish Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Don't worry about it right now it won't hurt a thing. Now closer to gun season i wouldn't pee on my feeder but, i would pee on a mock scrape, and watch deer come to it over and over the same day. I've done it for 4 years, and counting.

Re: It's bad signal? [Re: txtrophy85] #206765 09/19/07 09:51 PM
R
rj45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Quote:

i pee near the feeders when i fill them up with corn ( usually cause i'm drinking beer ) i have never, ever had a problem with deer comming to it. i'm talkin i hit the legs with it.

This is who I meant to quote.

NRA, DU & DW Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide