Print Thread
Looking for a unique rifle holster #194111 07/17/07 09:22 PM
D
Davidc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
I want a rifle holster for my back , kinda like an arrow quiver. I want to be able to put it on my back like a backpack and pull gun out quickly. At the lease I go around on foot, atv and the like. Always a good idea to have a gun, but I can't seem to find a good way to carry. Slings hang-up in brush etc.. So this is my new idea. Anyone seen or know wear to get. Would kinda like leather, and durable. Ant ideas what it is called scabbard slip quiver. Or anyone have or am I just crazy Thanks

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: Davidc] #194112 07/17/07 11:07 PM
O
Okiehunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Thats a good idea. You may try modifying a saddle holster.

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: Okiehunter] #194113 07/18/07 06:11 PM
C
CRF4JEFF Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Quote:

Thats a good idea. You may try modifying a saddle holster, and marketing it to other hunters for a hefty profit.

***FIXED***

Last edited by CRF4JEFF; 07/18/07 06:59 PM.

Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors.

My 12 steps are from my workbench to the garage fridge.
Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: Davidc] #194114 07/18/07 06:38 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Try this one, don't carry so much other chit with you when you are out walking and just carry the gun in your hands.

That is the only way I have ever had it work for me, and I have shot more of the game I have killed when walking than when setting in stands.

You don't sling or holster a shotgun when hunting birds do you????

If not, than why do it when hunting animals?

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: Crazyhorse] #194115 07/18/07 06:56 PM
C
CRF4JEFF Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Quote:

Try this one, don't carry so much other chit with you when you are out walking and just carry the gun in your hands.

That is the only way I have ever had it work for me, and I have shot more of the game I have killed when walking than when setting in stands.

You don't sling or holster a shotgun when hunting birds do you????

If not, than why do it when hunting animals?

I agree with your post, however, I don't think he was talking about when he is hunting, but more so when he is just moving around the lease, scouting, working, playing etc... He wants to ride the 4 wheeler/work with his hands free, while carrieng the gun for target, varmit or protection... IMO.

Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors.

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: CRF4JEFF] #194116 07/18/07 07:25 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If he is on a 4 wheeler there are some really good commercial racks that mount in front of the handle bars, that hold the gun secure and are fairly easy to get the gun out of.

Having made and tried a shoulder scabbard rig like he is talking about, I can attest to the fact that they don't really work.

Unlike a pistol holster, the overall length of a rifle, even one with a 16 inch barrel, makes it impractical.

Unless a person has arms like an Orangutan, pulling a rifle out of a quiver slung across the back is nearly impossible, and I waas experimenting with one for a Stevens favorite Single Shot 22.

Try taking the shortest overall length rifle you own, put it behind your back and pulling it out far enough by the pistol grip, for the muzzle to clear your neck/head.

Everyones arms are only so long, and to have the gun secured to your body in some way that it doesn't fall off, means that you will only be able to pull it so far out of the holder before having to change your gripping point.

Even saddle scabbards are designed so that you have to put some effort and a lot of movement in getting the rifle out of it.

I am interested in seeing what he comes up with, but I really don't think that it will be easy to do, especially something that will keep the gun secure 100% of the time. JMO.

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: Crazyhorse] #194117 07/18/07 07:57 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would recommend a Thompson Contender pistol with a 14" barrel. Uncle Mikes makes a pretty good shoulder holster rig for it. You can get all kinds of barrels from a .17 to a 270.

With a back pack type, if a shot were ever available the target would be in the next county before you got it ready to fire.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: dogcatcher] #194118 07/18/07 08:23 PM
C
CRF4JEFF Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: CRF4JEFF] #194119 07/19/07 03:20 AM
D
Davidc Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
The saddle holsters I have seen are more flat and would take longer to get out. I want something more like a quiver.
CHC I traditionaly don't carry alot, but if I choose to, I will come up with a way I prefer. Maybe I am taller but I don't believe I will have trouble bringing a rifle to play quickly with this rig. ATV brackets are slow and I just don't like the ruff ride they give a gun for the most part. At current I use a sling which I can flip up pretty quick and have been able to end several piggies that way. I am trading some speed for easy of use and durability. I just hate to get off atv sling, go down hill shoulder carry stalk carry when I hear something.
Also canvas seems out I think it would hang up to much so leather wins in my mind. I have seen somewhere just can't put finger on it. Maybe an outdoor show?

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: Davidc] #194120 07/19/07 05:50 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If you are talking about one custom made out of leather better plan on spending a fortune unless you know how to work with leather. The leather for a holster is about $7 a square foot. You might check with one of the Tandy Leather Factory stores in your area, but I would recommend Hidecrafters in Ft Worth the manager is Ron Stulmann. He has forgotten more about leather worker than most people will ever learn. You will still need to come up with a design.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: Davidc] #194121 07/19/07 12:22 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I understand what you are saying, and the one I made was out of leather and built like an Indian style arrow quiver.

It has nothing to do with how tall a person is, I am not tall, but do have fairly long arms for my heigth.

For the gun to stay in place, and not be falling out, you will need to have the barrel, and a good bit of the forearm down into the scabbard.

If it is on your back, between your shoulder blades/riding across the top of one of your shoulder blades, and you are reaching over your shoulder to grab the gun, when you straighten your arm out, I don't think you will be able to pull it far enough to clear the mouth of the scabbard.

The only way I got the one I made to work for me, was to wear the thing slung across my shoulder, with the gun hanging down, cross draw style in front of me and to the side slightly, carrying it almost like a sword.

I was using a single shot 22, not a scoped rifle, or even an unscoped centerfire.

I am not meaning to come across as it being a bad idea, in fact, as someone else said, it might be something that would sell to other hunters.

Good look on your search.

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: CRF4JEFF] #194122 07/20/07 01:39 AM
K
km475 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
there was a swedish back pack that had a rifle holder incorperated in the pack, soft frame i think. maybe i saw it in cheaper than dirt or sportsmans guide?? cliff

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: km475] #194123 07/21/07 03:57 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
Google www.kifaru.net they have good stuff. I have a pack system from www.nimrodpacks.com that works well for me. Both are pricey but have good guarantees.

Re: Looking for a unique rifle holster [Re: deerfeeder] #194124 07/21/07 04:21 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
PS: I got my Nimrod set-up at the TTH extravaganza in FT Worth a couple of years ago. Ranchosafari makes great ghillie suits to go with them. Also usually available at the TTH shows.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide