Forums46
Topics538,776
Posts9,741,101
Members87,113
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline #1679573 09/18/10 04:09 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
It's actually happened before, but this time it's REALLY invasive. The difference this time is that the stands and feeders put them to where they are shooting directly at my stand. One of the feeders is about 20 feet from where I like to park.

So, I've got two questions:

1. What can I really do about this? Anything? (my neighbor and I do not get along and have a history of problems).
2. Assuming I can't make them move the feeders, can I still park where I've parked for the last several years? Would that be seen as "hunter harrassment" even though I've used that spot for a very long time?

I've already called the gamewarden and will do whatever he tells me to do, but I'm not guessing this will end the way I'd like. Seeing three stands and feeders on what is basically a 60 acre field didn't set well with me this morning.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1679607 09/18/10 04:36 PM
Mr. 2 Million Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I thought I read that if a bullet crosses a property line that the shooter has broken the law , might have misread but i believe that is correct

David

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: Mr. 2 Million] #1679611 09/18/10 04:40 PM
R
redseal Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
i think parking there is fine unless they get pissed and shoot your truck but then again if they do that you really have em by the b***s then

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: redseal] #1679664 09/18/10 05:18 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
David's right. Bullet cannot cross property lines. Call the game guys before it's too late. I'd check in with the Sheriff also.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: redseal] #1679671 09/18/10 05:20 PM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Are you the landowner?...if not go your landowner and speak with him about your concerns..but dnt get in pissing match with these clowns..60acs...they have too many feeders on such a small place..besides you would think they would place em on the interior of their place so they could draw em in...who knows sounds like a real mess though..good luck

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: n-all] #1679842 09/18/10 07:40 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
My family and I own the land, but I'm the only hunter. I've called the gamewarden and there's not alot I can do until I catch them actually doing something. He's going to meet me out there one day soon and take a look. Basically, they have too many hunters for the property. They only have about 60 acres and there is no cover whatsoever. The only deer they'll see will be passing through. All the cover is on my side of the fence, so that's why they put the feeders where they did.

We'll see what happens, but I'm not happy about it at all. They have the right to hunt their property and I have no issue with that. However, they need to figure out a way to not have those guns pointed towards me.

I've called them and left what I thought was a very positive and nice message, but I'm doubting I'll get a return call based on my history with these folks. They've never been good neighbors, so I don't see them changing now.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1679998 09/18/10 09:13 PM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Not sure the legalities and such of the situation, but the way you describe their setup, besides being just plain rude, it could pose some very serious safety issues.

If they end up not moving things and depending on the size of your place, I suppose there are things you could do to disrupt their hunting. I know a guy who I used to be on a lease with had a similar setup, unbeknownst to us, with a feeder right on the fence of the place next door. For the first few weeks of hunting season, one or more of the hunters next door would ride their ATVs up and down the fenceline during prime hunting hours until the guy moved his feeder. You could figure out a way to place noise-making devices, alarms, etc., that might go off during prime hunting hours or other ways of disrupting the area. I for sure wouldn't even think of not using that same spot for your usual parking/listening to the radio/hanging out and drinking beer after the hunt spot.

Good luck.....hope you get some resolution!!

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1680000 09/18/10 09:17 PM
H
huntincoach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
My neighbors just did the same thing too. I'm mad but more ticked that they me may be aiming at my stand as well!
good luck. I'm hoping I can get the big boy during bow season
Before these humps get out there.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1680008 09/18/10 09:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: KennyLee
My family and I own the land, but I'm the only hunter. I've called the gamewarden and there's not alot I can do until I catch them actually doing something. He's going to meet me out there one day soon and take a look. Basically, they have too many hunters for the property. They only have about 60 acres and there is no cover whatsoever. The only deer they'll see will be passing through. All the cover is on my side of the fence, so that's why they put the feeders where they did.

We'll see what happens, but I'm not happy about it at all. They have the right to hunt their property and I have no issue with that. However, they need to figure out a way to not have those guns pointed towards me.

I've called them and left what I thought was a very positive and nice message, but I'm doubting I'll get a return call based on my history with these folks. They've never been good neighbors, so I don't see them changing now.

Check with GW to see what you can do and can't do to stay out of a legal suit from harrasment. Might a good time for the GW to show up opening morning to pay that first visit at daylight to talk to you about this situation at your blind.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: stxranchman] #1680186 09/18/10 11:03 PM
S
SowHntr Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
WHo cares about how he is going to feel, if you are worried about your safety! If he is not going to be considerate tell him how you feel and call the game warden. You cannot shoot over property lines.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1680278 09/18/10 11:54 PM
D
Dacotua Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Time to get the other owner there to show him, and if he doesn't do anything.... High fence that line.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: Dacotua] #1680372 09/19/10 12:42 AM
B
bowhuntr70 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
MY FENCELINE??? Not trying to be a smart... but how close are you to the fence if you are worried about him shooting at your blind? Is your place big enough to find another spot? I would probably move my set up.

Last edited by bowhuntr70; 09/19/10 12:43 AM.

Mathews DXT
QAD Ulra-Rest Hunter
Trophy Ridge Matrix
Easton FMJ
Slick Trick 100gr
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: bowhuntr70] #1680441 09/19/10 01:28 AM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: bowhuntr70
MY FENCELINE??? Not trying to be a smart... but how close are you to the fence if you are worried about him shooting at your blind? Is your place big enough to find another spot? I would probably move my set up.

Really??!! Are you serious? Doesn't matter if he's 300 ft or 300 yds away, the guy shouldn't have his feeder/shooting lane pointed directly at his stand.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: bowhuntr70] #1680926 09/19/10 12:22 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K

I would call it "the fenceline" if this same neighbor didn't cut "the fence" to let her longhorns and horses into my place after she overgrazed her place. I then got to fix "my fenceline" since we're an open range county and it's my responsibility to keep her animals out (learned all about that law). Of course, I didn't get the longhorns out until after they had destroyed several deer feeders and had eaten about a ton of corn, though she never paid me for any of it. She never admitted to cutting the fence, but it was pretty obvious someone cut it and I definitely didn't have a reason to do so.

My place is plenty big enough to find another spot. Just so happens, that is the best spot. I am close to that fenceline, but my stand is on the side of a hill, looking down into my property. No chance a bullit can cross the fenceline. Now I have a feeder about 150 yards behind me, with a box blind maybe 50 yards on the other side of that feeder.

Again, I'm not worried about the deer they will shoot (though I'm not happy about it), but I am worried about them shooting into my property since I typically hunt alone.

Last edited by KennyLee; 09/19/10 12:23 PM.
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1681112 09/19/10 02:57 PM
R
Ray Ray Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
If you have always parked where you say you've parked and it's on your land and they know it, I say park there, the deer won't come to that feeder, place an open coffee can of moth balls in the bed when you park it for an added deer deterent.

If we always do, what we have always done, the we always get, what we have always gotten! Learn to adapt!
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1681214 09/19/10 04:10 PM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

I would call it "the fenceline" if this same neighbor didn't cut "the fence" to let her longhorns and horses into my place after she overgrazed her place. I then got to fix "my fenceline" since we're an open range county and it's my responsibility to keep her animals out (learned all about that law). Of course, I didn't get the longhorns out until after they had destroyed several deer feeders and had eaten about a ton of corn, though she never paid me for any of it. She never admitted to cutting the fence, but it was pretty obvious someone cut it and I definitely didn't have a reason to do so.

My place is plenty big enough to find another spot. Just so happens, that is the best spot. I am close to that fenceline, but my stand is on the side of a hill, looking down into my property. No chance a bullit can cross the fenceline. Now I have a feeder about 150 yards behind me, with a box blind maybe 50 yards on the other side of that feeder.

Again, I'm not worried about the deer they will shoot (though I'm not happy about it), but I am worried about them shooting into my property since I typically hunt alone.

So if their feeder is 150 yds behind you that means your stand is at least 100 yds from the fence, which I think is plenty fair and polite on your part and should shut up the "well, how close are you" crowd.

I would park my truck exactly where I always have, to heck with them, they are the ones with no manners.

If they had put their stand and feeder farther away from your place and not pointed it right at your stand then I would be inclined out of courtesy to park somewhere else, but thats not the case here it seems, so you owe them no such courtesy.

Bill

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: tx270] #1681236 09/19/10 04:24 PM
K
KennyLee Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: tx270

So if their feeder is 150 yds behind you that means your stand is at least 100 yds from the fence, which I think is plenty fair and polite on your part and should shut up the "well, how close are you" crowd.

I would park my truck exactly where I always have, to heck with them, they are the ones with no manners.

If they had put their stand and feeder farther away from your place and not pointed it right at your stand then I would be inclined out of courtesy to park somewhere else, but thats not the case here it seems, so you owe them no such courtesy.

Bill

I'm hoping they'll return my call and that we can have a civil conversation, though I'm not counting on it. I'm going to meet the gamewarden out there and get his opinion, but I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable hunting that part of property at all knowing those guns are pointed at me. The problem, for them, is with what amounts to a 60 acre field with a hill in the corner (we share the hill), they really can't hunt and not be pointing at a neighbor. There isn't a single tree on their property and no trees between them and I.

My second favorite spot is almost a mile from their fence, so I guess I'll be hunting in that stand alot this year.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1681540 09/19/10 07:05 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I wouldn't necessarily sweat the number of feeders/blinds. I have 4 blinds and 3 feeders on my 40 acres. I'm the only one that's going to hunt it and I'll take a max of 1 deer per year. I just like having different places to sit, and the feeders aren't all running at once. I rotate which one I'm using.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: cameron00] #1681781 09/19/10 09:01 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Same as cameron00, i have 47acres and 3 stands and feeders but all stands and feeders face in to the property and property is very thick so no bullets or arrows are gonna cross the property. The only problem is my neighbor and i use that loosley, decided he didnt like my set up and cut my feeder down and bent my stand in two. I left him a little note on the fence that if it happens again i would pay him a visit! Must have worked cause it hasnt happend again. I guess im on both sides nobody is gonna tell me i cant hunt my property but i would have been glad to get a phone call and talk it over. Now my only problem is with my other neighbor and his cows! Wont fix his fences and i guess my food plots look good to his cows.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: Hoytman] #1681998 09/19/10 11:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Sometimes you have to forget all this "Poltical Correctness" crap and get mean.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: don k] #1682132 09/20/10 12:20 AM
K
KeithTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
As far as I would think about the parking your truck there part! It's your property or you have the right's to be there so as long as you don't go on his side then You could have a party there while he is hunting and it shouldn't matter! Which I would recommend-I bet he would find a new spot to hunt then!

Guide's Life
Elusive Wildlife Technologies
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: Mr. 2 Million] #1685571 09/21/10 03:56 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: david f
I thought I read that if a bullet crosses a property line that the shooter has broken the law , might have misread but i believe that is correct

That is correct but you must prove the bullet crossed the line. I cannot remeber the exact way the law is worded but will try to find out. A couple of years ago I had this problem but to top it off my house was in direct line of the feeder about 150 yards away. I got the sheriff to make them move the feeder where they were not shooting at my property.
Good luck I have found most GW and Law enforcement people don't know this law even exists. It was passed about 2004 I think.

Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: KennyLee] #1685585 09/21/10 04:03 AM
B
bowhuntr70 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
That makes good sense and I don't blame you for being worried about the safety aspect.

Mathews DXT
QAD Ulra-Rest Hunter
Trophy Ridge Matrix
Easton FMJ
Slick Trick 100gr
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: tx270] #1685595 09/21/10 04:10 AM
B
bowhuntr70 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
YES i am serious. You must be blessed to hunt a big enough place to not be within 300 yards of a fenceline with a shooting lane. I bow/rifle hunt a small piece of land have several spots that are much closer to the fence. I will never shoot my rifle (unless in an elevated stand) in that direction but have no problem shooting my bow. I also know the neighboring landowners and have good relationships with them.
Originally Posted By: tx270

Really??!! Are you serious? Doesn't matter if he's 300 ft or 300 yds away, the guy shouldn't have his feeder/shooting lane pointed directly at his stand.

Last edited by bowhuntr70; 09/21/10 04:16 AM.

Mathews DXT
QAD Ulra-Rest Hunter
Trophy Ridge Matrix
Easton FMJ
Slick Trick 100gr
Re: Finally happened to me: Neighbor put feeders on my fenceline [Re: bowhuntr70] #1685834 09/21/10 12:40 PM
USMarine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
§ 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY
LINE. (a) In this section, "firearm" has the meaning assigned by
Section 62.014(a).
(b) A person commits an offense if:
(1) the person, while hunting or engaging in
recreational shooting, knowingly discharges a firearm; and
(2) the projectile from the firearm travels across a
property line.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that
the person:
(1) owns the property on both sides of each property
line crossed by the projectile; or
(2) has a written agreement with any person who owns
property on either side of each property line crossed by the
projectile that allows the person to discharge a firearm on, over,
or across the property or property line.
(d) The written agreement required under Subsection (c)(2)
must:
(1) contain the name of the person allowed to hunt or
engage in recreational shooting in a manner described by Subsection
(b);
(2) identify the property on either side of the
property line crossed by the projectile; and
(3) be signed by any person who owns the property on
either side of the line crossed by the projectile.
(e) An offense under this section is a Class C Parks and
Wildlife Code misdemeanor.
(f) If conduct constituting an offense under this section
constitutes an offense under a section of the Penal Code, the person
may be prosecuted under either section or both sections.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 270, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2005.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide