Forums46
Topics539,552
Posts9,751,055
Members87,167
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: dgilbert] #1658203 09/09/10 07:58 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Did anybody answer the man's question. peep

Originally Posted By: rifleman

I know 1 in my crew that will, but I plan to tell her quite often she wouldn't be able to shoot a compound worth a flip, so maybe she will give it a try.

do I get a cookie? confused2

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: bigtuna] #1658216 09/09/10 08:02 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: bigtuna
Well for the sake of discussion I will pose an alternative view point I guess (and I'll try to keep it civil, I hope you will do the same).

I don't think crossbows have any place in archery season. Its a slippery slope with all this technology and even compounds now are so advanced that it makes me wonder. To me, the point of archery season is to give a timing advantage to those who choose to pursue a more challenging type of hunting.

My solution is to leave archery season for traditional archery only.

Traditional?

No Mathews, nothing... that's a hickory stick and some sinew..... some flint arrowheads made by hand...

I have both and will hunt with both during the year... I will probably crossbow hunt by myself and let the wife have taht one and use the compound when she's there...

Guess I am not much of a hunter....

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1658220 09/09/10 08:04 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Well for the sake of discussion I will pose an alternative view point I guess (and I'll try to keep it civil, I hope you will do the same).

I don't think crossbows have any place in archery season. Its a slippery slope with all this technology and even compounds now are so advanced that it makes me wonder. To me, the point of archery season is to give a timing advantage to those who choose to pursue a more challenging type of hunting.

Traditional?

No Mathews, nothing... that's a hickory stick and some sinew..... some flint arrowheads made by hand...

I have both and will hunt with both during the year... I will probably crossbow hunt by myself and let the wife have taht one and use the compound when she's there...

And you dont like AR's tisk tisk... Are you even Texan peep

[Linked Image]
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: dgilbert] #1658276 09/09/10 08:16 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Did anybody answer the man's question. peep

OOPS MY BAD!...... 6,473.5

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1658773 09/09/10 10:58 PM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I used to deer hunt when I was a kid with a shotgun and slugs. I then progressed to my trusty Winchester .30-30. Now I shoot a bolt action rifle with a scope and can hit a target I would never have considered years ago. So, improvements in the tools I use make me a more efficient hunter. But in the last two years, I have also bought a compound bow and a couple of black powder rifles, so in that area, I guess you could say I've regressed. The way I look at it, if it's legal, and I can become proficient with it, I want to try it. So one of these days, I'll probably go to a crossbow. Not because it's easier than a compound bow, but because I could probably do a better job of the one-shot kill I believe in. And the fact that the state has special seasons for archery and (in some areas) black powder, means I get to extend my season.
I used to hunt a lot when I was a kid, then put all my guns away for almost 40 years. Now, at 56, I'm rediscovering the joy that hunting brings. And anything that helps me extend that joy, I'm all for. If they ever decide to have a slingshot season, I'll be in the garage whittling on tree limbs and slicing up old bicycle tires.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: redchevy] #1658830 09/09/10 11:23 PM
B
BORN2HUNT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I dont think there should be an archery season!

People who bow hunt do for a variety of reasons, the thrill, the challenge,... but I would bet a far greater number do it just because it allows them to start earlier.

If you want a challenge then man up to it and hunt with a bow and do it during regular season. I hunt with rifle, bow, pistol, and blackpowder and truely believe there should be only one season for all of them. The lease that I hunted on for the past 21 years didnt allow hunting during archery season, or youth season, everyone started at the same time. If you chose to hunt with a bow then you did it because you wanted to not to get first pic of the heard.

I think the major reason people bow hunt is to get out there before thier neighbors do, not for added challenge of the hunt.

matt
X2

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: Wes70] #1659162 09/10/10 01:39 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Wes70
I can see both sides of the coin but don't care either way. Since I am the only hunter on my place I guess I can over look the crossbow thing. Man it is nice having the place to myself and not have to argue with other hunters about lease rules.

X2

🍻
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: redchevy] #1659499 09/10/10 03:06 AM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
You are wrong sir. I bow hunt all season long. I don't even own a rifle any longer.

People who bow hunt do for a variety of reasons, the thrill, the challenge,... but I would bet a far greater number do it just because it allows them to start earlier.

If you want a challenge then man up to it and hunt with a bow and do it during regular season. I hunt with rifle, bow, pistol, and blackpowder and truely believe there should be only one season for all of them. The lease that I hunted on for the past 21 years didnt allow hunting during archery season, or youth season, everyone started at the same time. If you chose to hunt with a bow then you did it because you wanted to not to get first pic of the heard.

I think the major reason people bow hunt is to get out there before thier neighbors do, not for added challenge of the hunt.

matt

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: redchevy] #1659525 09/10/10 03:13 AM
B
BowHuntinTX Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B

matt

If you have or do bow hunt, you must not care about it that much. Most of us who do bow hunt, it is an addiction and I bow hunt year round, I will only pick up my rifle if I am going somewhere that is NOT bow hunting friendly. I do not bow hunt to get out early, I bow hunt because I love archery and killin stuff with my bow.

[Linked Image]

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1659593 09/10/10 03:29 AM
B
bigtuna Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Traditional?

Again, this is all a very slippery slope because even trad archery has technology now (fast flight strings, razor sharp carbon steel BHs etc) but when I say traditional I mean no wheels on the bow. When you pull back 50 lbs you are pulling back all 50 lbs.

Last edited by bigtuna; 09/10/10 03:30 AM.
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: BowHuntinTX] #1659596 09/10/10 03:30 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Cool beans great for you, if you do it just because you love to hunting with a bow then I challenge the both of you to wait till rifle season starts.

I do love bow hunting, and have done it for a while now, but love my smoke poll just as much, and I have gotten very into realoading, so I gotta kill some critters with my home rolled stuff as well.

Give it try and see if anything changes. I bow hunt off and on all season. The only reason I hunt much in archery only season wiht it is because in brazos county the only way you could kill does was in archery season, and we were over run.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: redchevy] #1660098 09/10/10 01:24 PM
D
DeerKilla Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
i will be there! got my crossbow dialed in to 80 yards. shot a pig with it last weekend while everyone else was dove hunting at 68 yards and it ran 10 yards without both lungs.

incredible bows.

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: DeerKilla] #1660345 09/10/10 03:05 PM
T
TexasWITETALE Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I bow hunt to extend my season and the option of tagging a doe as it is buck only during the general season at my lease.

The elitist mentality of MOST bow hunters is quite sickening and I'm tired of them whining about crossbows. If you do not like them then do not use them. If you do not want to hunt around them then buy some land and don't let people hunt your land with crossbows.

Do you really think you will change the law by talking down to people and informing them they are not "real" hunters? Or by making assumptions they do not know their equipment and will try an 80 yard shot just because you have pre-conceived prejudices against this "lesser hunter"?

In the words of the equally ridiculous Dr. Phil...."Get Real!"

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: DeerKilla] #1660352 09/10/10 03:09 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have an 8 year old that shoots a rifle like a pro, but wants badly to bow hunt. He can't draw the 45lbs to be legal so he will hunt with a cross bow this year along with me and the Mathews. No challenge with the rifle as he has put em down out to 384 yards with the .308. Cross bow will be an all new experience for him. No feeders invloved in our hunting therefore it won't be shooting fish in a barrel. I don't think the indians hunted under a feeder. The ole stick and string argument sucks wind when the braggers are shooting 10-20yards at deer contently feeding under a barrel of corn.

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: TexasWITETALE] #1660355 09/10/10 03:10 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: TexasWITETALE
I bow hunt to extend my season and the option of tagging a doe as it is buck only during the general season at my lease.

The elitist mentality of MOST bow hunters is quite sickening and I'm tired of them whining about crossbows. If you do not like them then do not use them. If you do not want to hunt around them then buy some land and don't let people hunt your land with crossbows.

Do you really think you will change the law by talking down to people and informing them they are not "real" hunters? Or by making assumptions they do not know their equipment and will try an 80 yard shot just because you have pre-conceived prejudices against this "lesser hunter"?

I agree with this^^^^^^^^^

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: 2000cbr929] #1660435 09/10/10 03:46 PM
D
DeerKilla Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
exactly, or the elitist say that the challenge with the verticle bow is getting drawn!

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: TexasWITETALE] #1660442 09/10/10 03:49 PM
C
Chuck McDonald Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: TexasWITETALE

+1

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: Chuck McDonald] #1660777 09/10/10 06:13 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
There is no poundage requirement any longer 2000cbr929. And yes, cross bow shooters are legit but just like compound shooters (like myself) don't have the same skill level as a traditional shooter, cross bow shooters don't need the same skill level as the other two. But that doesn't mean they aren't legit, or even outstanding hunters. If people like kilt it would quit trying to piss everyone off and let everyone enjoy yours the way you want this place would be a lot more friendly. Anyone notice he hasn't posted since? Stirred and is sitting back laughing at us kicking each others azz.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: passthru] #1660864 09/10/10 06:42 PM
K
Kobeer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
all i got to say is if you look under where it says bow hunting on the bow hunting thread it says compound and traditional!!!!! so why do we get so many pissed off crossbow shooters. its like me posting duck hunting questions in the deer hunting section...

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: passthru] #1660896 09/10/10 06:51 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: passthru
There is no poundage requirement any longer 2000cbr929. And yes, cross bow shooters are legit but just like compound shooters (like myself) don't have the same skill level as a traditional shooter, cross bow shooters don't need the same skill level as the other two. But that doesn't mean they aren't legit, or even outstanding hunters. If people like kilt it would quit trying to piss everyone off and let everyone enjoy yours the way you want this place would be a lot more friendly. Anyone notice he hasn't posted since? Stirred and is sitting back laughing at us kicking each others azz.

Well then I stand corrected and I agree completely however I will limit him since the daughters first doe was shot and lost at 15 yards with a light draw and a well placed shot that did not penetrate as I thought it should. So at least in my case I choose to interject my own personal ethics and place my own personal minimum on him. She worked up to 49lbs, and I changed her set up and she got her first bow kill last year with a 20yard shot and short blood trail. Which is the important point here that no matter what one chooses to use one should view the "Law" as the minimum and that alone with a little common sense should even things out. I.E. rifle, shotgun, trad, compound, muzzle loader, cross bow, bowie knife, or blow darts know your limitations and stick to them, and be more successful, and less irresponsible. I know I have made my mistakes for sure, and I am furthest from being perfect. This is just how I do it not perfect but works for me.

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: 2000cbr929] #1660917 09/10/10 07:01 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Your ethics are commendable. What was she drawing that didn't get the penetration? Just curious as my son is currently drawing 40lbs.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: passthru] #1660976 09/10/10 07:18 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
45lbs said the scale in the barn, but I had her set up too long in her arrow, and shooting 100 grains trying to keep up with her growth spurts. My bad. I got her pulling more poundage, sucked it up and decided to cut her arrows down instead of letting her grow into them, lightened her to 85 grains and smaller cut, and problem solved.

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: redchevy] #1661834 09/11/10 12:53 AM
Alec Castonguay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
In my opinion it sums up to this. if you are injured i encourage you to use a crossbow and keep the archery spirit. if you are ok and can pull a compound, GO GET A COMPOUND BOW! there will be someday when i wont be able to pull a bow back and i will switch to a crossbow but not untill i cant pull a bow back anymore.

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: Alec Castonguay] #1661968 09/11/10 02:01 AM
O
obamawhy!!! Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
I'm assuming all of you guys out there that are bashing crossbows dont hunt a feeder.You dont hunt out of a blind, or wear commercial made camo,use aluminum arrows or steel broadheads. As hunters we all should support each other whether we hunt that way or not. I have never used a crossbow but will this year along with my compound and rifle. I really dont care what Joe Smoe is using as long as its legal and they are having fun. The debate can go on forever but we should all stick together because we have enough idiots to worry about already.

Re: Not trying to stir the pot, but............ [Re: obamawhy!!!] #1661970 09/11/10 02:03 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I won't complain about what folks use... just now going back to the bow in oct instead of the rifle. Used to be the bow got put up until around Christmas.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide