Print Thread
Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant #1578668 08/06/10 03:06 AM
I
Irishmule Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
I have never been on a pheasant hunt and was hoping for some advice. I am planning a couple of trips to hunt pheasant for the first time. What is a good range for a bird dog to naturally use in locating wild pheasant. Do they need to quarter or can they hunt by objective and such. I have watched this on OLN and the pointers are running very vertical and locating birds. I have heard that the dogs need to stay reasonably close. I am just wondering so I can decide on how to start transiting them to a closer ranger.

Thanks so much for your help and expertise.

Elhew

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: Irishmule] #1578711 08/06/10 03:23 AM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Pheasants hunting can be so varied, they don't normally hold, will run and hide, then run and run some more. It depends on the weather and ground conditions, snow, dry, etc. It will be a learning experience for you and your dogs. I can't wait!

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: DoubleB20] #1579006 08/06/10 01:07 PM
S
spinman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
The answer to your question will vary day by day, but in general for a pheasant hunt you would rather a dog that stays close in to the hunter. Pheasant, especially later in the season, will have a tendency to run out on your dogs if they feel any pressure at all. For this reason a dog that works closer in is at the advantage because it wont take as long for you to get there to flush the bird.That being said, a smart dog can usually figure this out by himself after a day or two of hunting.
A few other things to think about. If you are experiencing birds that run out on you a lot, almost as if you are just chasing them, you might want to set up some blockers at the other end of the field and then work toward them. This makes sure that the pheasant don't just run out of your field, and that someone gets a shot. Just make sure that all parties have plenty of hunters orange on. Another option is to combine specialties. I don't know what your dog situation is, but combining a flusher with your pointers can really help. Just keep your flusher, whether it be lab or spaniel, at heal until your pointer goes on point and then send in the flusher. This will help eliminate the running as well.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: spinman] #1579199 08/06/10 02:46 PM
D
dr730 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Me and my dog will be learning right along with you, Elhew!

Founder,Texasgundogclub.com
Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: DoubleB20] #1579536 08/06/10 06:03 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: DoubleB20
Pheasants hunting can be so varied, they don't normally hold, will run and hide, then run and run some more. It depends on the weather and ground conditions, snow, dry, etc. It will be a learning experience for you and your dogs. I can't wait!

x2

No matter how good your dog is, have blockers..Seen guy with some very top notch dogs that just plum wore them out with limited success becuase they thought the birds would eventually hold up, they will but maybe 1.5-2.5 miles down the road or after going around a pivot 2-3 times.

DoubleB20... if you need to borrow a real Pheasant dog let me know.. My lab probley will forgive you for all those comments after you apologize grin

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 08/06/10 06:05 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1579633 08/06/10 07:02 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I apologize...I didn't mean to hurt your city slicker dog's feelings.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: DoubleB20] #1579864 08/06/10 08:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I apologize...I didn't mean to hurt your city slicker dog's feelings.

rofl Well played.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1588180 08/10/10 02:06 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I've seen hunters walk right past many pheasants. A gun dog with a good nose will flush those missed birds and you will fill your bag quickly. Have him hunt close.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: reeltexan] #1588598 08/10/10 05:30 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Been on 2 good fez hunts. I keep my dogs very close as they are retrievers. The first year the birds were coming out from our feet. The second year they were busting and flying at 60 to 70 yards. Using the blockers will help a lot as long as the blockers sneak into position and are not yelling back and forth to each other. I would volunteer to block because the fez would rather run than do anything.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: wal1809] #1588796 08/10/10 07:05 PM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Train your dog to always keep an eye on you. If you are in a field with nothing, your dog can range out and cover it for you. If there are lots of birds or the field is thick, have your dog work close. One thing you don't want to do is keep hacking on your dog in the field. It will mess him up and cause him to bump birds.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: wal1809] #1598298 08/15/10 03:54 PM
thomas_z71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
Been on 2 good fez hunts. I keep my dogs very close as they are retrievers. The first year the birds were coming out from our feet. The second year they were busting and flying at 60 to 70 yards. Using the blockers will help a lot as long as the blockers sneak into position and are not yelling back and forth to each other. I would volunteer to block because the fez would rather run than do anything.

May I ask why you don't want them yelling or making noise? I was always told blockers should make noise so the pheasants don't run right passed them?? I would think if a pheasant is moving toward a blocker and those blockers are making noise, they will get nervous and stop in their tracks.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: thomas_z71] #1599360 08/16/10 01:47 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Seen birds fly out of a feild from one slamming a door, They get skiddish just like deer with a lot of pressure. Key is being set up, if your just getting out of the truck your not set up

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: thomas_z71] #1599790 08/16/10 01:16 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: thomas_z71

May I ask why you don't want them yelling or making noise? I was always told blockers should make noise so the pheasants don't run right passed them?? I would think if a pheasant is moving toward a blocker and those blockers are making noise, they will get nervous and stop in their tracks.

Because they will stop short of the blockers and bust out before the hunters get to them. On one trip they held until flushed. Last year they were flushing at 60 and 70 yards out. I think it is because of the noise both drivers and blockers were making.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: wal1809] #1599834 08/16/10 01:44 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
As BOBO stated, a lot depends on hunting pressure, location and type of hunting you're doing. I've seen them fly away just driving up to their hangout when you're opening the gate. There are some places where we park quarter mile away and sneak in quiet as possible. Hunting pheasants can be as varied as the boring march through the milo or corn fields to a quick run through an old homestead. Different tactics for every situation - sometimes the dogs stay in the truck.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: DoubleB20] #1599878 08/16/10 02:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
As BOBO stated, a lot depends on hunting pressure, location and type of hunting you're doing. I've seen them fly away just driving up to their hangout when you're opening the gate. There are some places where we park quarter mile away and sneak in quiet as possible. Hunting pheasants can be as varied as the boring march through the milo or corn fields to a quick run through an old homestead. Different tactics for every situation - sometimes the dogs stay in the truck.

x2

If you have small numbers of Hunters like 1-3. Forget the big fields..Find the nasty small area stuff, old farm houses, back water irragation pits..ect.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: wal1809] #1599881 08/16/10 02:08 PM
thomas_z71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: thomas_z71

Because they will stop short of the blockers and bust out before the hunters get to them. On one trip they held until flushed. Last year they were flushing at 60 and 70 yards out. I think it is because of the noise both drivers and blockers were making.

I gotcha, I don't hunt them much, but we usually hunt the big CRP fields and pivots so usually the blockers and drivers are hundreds of yards away when they start so making noise scaring them out isn't an issue. I can totally see it though if you drive up on an old gravel bed or something where you KNOW they are there! Then you definitly want to sneak up on them.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: thomas_z71] #1599896 08/16/10 02:16 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I have gotten where i don't even mess with the big fields anymore.

I just work the corners of the pivots that are in CRP. Just make sure your blocker are set up way before you start walking and make sure you not only have them at the end of the triangle but the 90 degree corner( both side) as well... If you don't they will run back to the corner and you will just push them right out. Nothing worse then walking a 100 -200 yards and blocker didn't set up right and You see 100 birds take off way out of range....

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 08/16/10 02:42 PM.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: BOBO the Clown] #1623945 08/26/10 02:03 AM
G
Gus McRae Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
You boys need to head to South Dakota. My black lab (also named Gus, heh) and I hunted up there a few years ago and slaughtered them. He stayed close and quartered, and did a fantastic job flushing birds. This was in a variety of fields. Some tall corn, some CRP, and some milo/grain fields.

Re: Healthy range for bird dogs on Pheasant [Re: Gus McRae] #1626294 08/26/10 09:32 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
We only hunt with labs and keep them close. They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to locating, flushing and retrieving pheasant. A downed pheasant doesn't always mean it is dead. They will run like crazy a lot of time even after what you think is a great hit.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide