Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #1576467 08/05/10 04:46 AM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: bigdaddy590
Quote:
shoot some does and you will have a healthier heard producing more mature quality bucks!!

He's a question for the pro ARs. What is the major reason for this legislation A) Improve age structure or B) Produce quality bucks

Quality comes with age!! AB.

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: nichols] #1576476 08/05/10 04:50 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: nichols
Quote:
shoot some does and you will have a healthier heard producing more mature quality bucks!!

He's a question for the pro ARs. What is the major reason for this legislation A) Improve age structure or B) Produce quality bucks

Quality comes with age!! AB.

The point coming out of this post is that with either answer TPWD has directly contradicted their cause. If the answer is age then why kill spikes? If the answer is quality then why not allow exceptions to tall and or freak racks?

[Linked Image]
Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #1576487 08/05/10 04:56 AM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
It would be nice if they could say hey you can shoot tall or freak racks but honestly how can they write that. People would take advantage of it. I personally dont shoot spikes unless I can for sure tell its over 1 1/2 years

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: pegasaurus] #1576496 08/05/10 05:03 AM
10pointers Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Originally Posted By: RMR

What is the rational explanation that ALL HUNTERS IN THIS GREAT STATE OF TEXAS should have to obey AR's. Why does EVERY SINGLE HUNTER HAVE TO becasue some want it that way. I am on both sides of the fence here. But everyone should have the choice. It should be for whomever owns the land to decide. Period bottom line.

You have the choice of where you hunt. If you do not like AR's go to a county that does not have them.

It is just like somking bans. I do not smoke and do not like breathe someone elses smoke while eating dinner. I have no problems with someone's right to smoke in a public place but I do have the option to choose another restaurant. Even if that means driving a little farther to enjoy my meal smoke free.
That owner has the right to choose his patrons just like our elected officials have the ability to change laws of the state. If your arguments against AR's could be articulated by a large enough population that would outweight the TPWD study for the AR's then your elected oficials would be able to change it. Until then choose a non AR county.
I could use Speed limits as another analology is you like. Same thing...

I may not like the AR's but I understand why they are there and do not disagree with the implementation in the county where I hunt.

I own the land in my case and AR's were implemented without my input. Kinda like taxation without representation. There was no problem now I have a bunch of inferior deer (not my opinion but the big trophy hunters ideal) tha will continue to breed the same massive 12" tall basket racks.

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: pegasaurus] #1576497 08/05/10 05:06 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I guess you should have read my post entirely. I said I am both sides of the fence. I also stated above that I hunt both because I hunt multiple areas and in one it is good, another it is bad. Should be up to owner. Not the state. I dont think there should or shouldnt be ARs. It should be up to the owner. Hope that is clear enough.

The problem with that thought process it that all wildlife resources are owned by the state. The land owner does not own wildlife resources.

Than why are you allowed to high fence the states resouce in, then charge an ungodly amount for it??

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: Curly] #1576499 08/05/10 05:07 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Curly
I guess you should have read my post entirely. I said I am both sides of the fence. I also stated above that I hunt both because I hunt multiple areas and in one it is good, another it is bad. Should be up to owner. Not the state. I dont think there should or shouldnt be ARs. It should be up to the owner. Hope that is clear enough.

The problem with that thought process it that all wildlife resources are owned by the state. The land owner does not own wildlife resources.

I'm aware they are owned by the state. Seems like horse hockey to me; if you buy the land, you should own everything the land comes with. Crooked system if you ask me.

If you own a pond, you can manage the fish in it the way you see fit.

Man logic is hard to argue Curly up

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: nichols] #1576506 08/05/10 05:09 AM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It would be nice if they could say hey you can shoot tall or freak racks but honestly how can they write that. People would take advantage of it. I personally dont shoot spikes unless I can for sure tell its over 1 1/2 years

They could do it just like they did the thirteen inter. Make a Nine inch height rule or something like that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: Tye] #1576509 08/05/10 05:10 AM
S
SowHntr Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
if you dont want to shoot your does go to a day lase in another county and use your tags there. Im on the fence i grew up hunting with two uncles and i have never seen them shoot a doe in my life. but before AR's they didnt mind shooting a year old fork horn that might of had alot of potential and breeding to do(which is not right) but an uneducated hunter never had to think about that. IF it is late season and i do not harvest a mature shooter,,,,,,If i see eight does and a 14" 2 year old buck, Im going to drop a doe! Nothing like chicken fried backstrap!!

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: psycho0819] #1576522 08/05/10 05:15 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: psycho0819
It's very obvious that alot of the people here who are in favor of the antler restrictions do not own land. And the majority of the proponents, I'd bet, do not even hunt in AR counties.

While we do have self imposed AR's on our land, call it a management plan, I still feel that it should be up to the landowners as to what "plan" is in place.

And as a test to see if the state of Texas truly owns all the deer in tx....Hit one with your truck, then sue the state for damages. They will not take responsibility for THEIR deer then, only when it benefits them. It's all about the money! If you hit a cow that's standing in the middle of the highway, that cow's owner is responsible for damages, and rightfully so. But the state of Tx doesn't give the same consideration when it comes to 'their" deer.

And again, I'd place a wager that says the majority of those who were responsible for passing the whole AR scheme do not own land in, or hunt in, AR effected counties. No data to back that up, and I might loose, but I don't think I would.

Very interesting take , I have to agree 100%

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #1576524 08/05/10 05:15 AM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
The 13 in. rule you got ears for reference how are you gonna do a nine in. high reference

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: RMR] #1576537 08/05/10 05:22 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
One last thing. AR's are like the BCS. Its just a flawed system.

I like that analogy to. Heck but this will not be the last thing I comment on. I think i'm only on page 5 and the pages are growing

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: cameron00] #1576551 08/05/10 05:29 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: cameron00
I think we can summarize:

AR proponent: Conservation minded individual interested in helping promote the wildlife population, and bettering the situation for all involved.

AR opponent: Wants some meat and doesn't care if he wipes out anything that moves. Will get his meat regardless, doesn't care if neighbor goes without.

Fair?

Sounds like the proponent is a Democrat

Sounds like your opponent is a fictious creation of said Democrats

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: sasquatch1] #1576556 08/05/10 05:31 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: sasquatch1
Or something like:

AR proponent: A person that has lost touch with the reason we hunt. Someone that just wants to shoot a trophy without regard to what it does to the Heritage that allows him to take that trophy. A person that is not happy just shooting a deer where there were no deer two generations ago.

AR opponent: A person that is typically a lifelong hunter that has for years invested in the hunting Heritage that has now been told he has to qualify a deer to make it worthy of killing. A person that has been pleased with the hunt without regard to the animals genetics or perceived trophy status.

Well spoken, wish I would have said this. Dang just got to page 6

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: cameron00] #1576561 08/05/10 05:36 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Great news, sasquatch. Since you don't care about "trophy status", you can still shoot spikes and does and be perfectly happy.

If you say that you don't want to be limited to that, guess what, you're looking for a trophy and simply want to be able to shoot the first thing that walks out whenever and wherever you decide.

Can't have both sides of the argument.

I cant speak for sasquatch but every deer I shoot is a trophy (1point - 10 Point or doe) and it might be the antlers, might be a special gun, stalk, or might just be I liked the way two of the horns curled inward.

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: cameron00] #1576565 08/05/10 05:38 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
If people were honest and did the right thing, sure.

But that's not what lead to ARs to begin with. Maybe you're a respectful hunter that just wants to teach kids the outdoors. But for every "you" that's against ARs, there are 10 "just want to blast something with horn" types.

Man I would really like to know who these guys are, the blasters that is

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: Curly] #1576577 08/05/10 05:43 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Curly
I really don't know this....How does letting a buck mature help a herd? Honestly. To me, the only thing letting a buck mature does is getting to see how big his antlers will get. Any half mature buck can breed with a doe and make babies thus creating deer and making population.

Curly you are never going to get an honest answer to that!

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: passthru] #1576586 08/05/10 05:47 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: passthru
There are times and places where brown and down works for me. But I want to kill a nice buck for the most part and that takes self control.

Don't let the anti AR guys fool you. They will gladly shoot an old trophy you have worked hard to feed and nurtured and watched grow for five years then brag to their friends about the big buck they killed. They are not being honest with themselves much less the rest of the hunting community.

There you go we Anti AR's do nothing. we just wait around for pro ar's guys to do all the work then we kill thier precious buck bs Wait! I have to read that again. rofl rofl

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: Letsgo] #1576603 08/05/10 05:51 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Letsgo
Originally Posted By: passthru
There are times and places where brown and down works for me. But I want to kill a nice buck for the most part and that takes self control.

Don't let the anti AR guys fool you. They will gladly shoot an old trophy you have worked hard to feed and nurtured and watched grow for five years then brag to their friends about the big buck they killed. They are not being honest with themselves much less the rest of the hunting community.

Amen - many of the anti-AR guys on this thread have posted pictures of the big bucks on their walls. But wait, they are meat hunters and don't care about horns!!!!!

Only on page 7. I want to comment on this so bad but will wait until I get to the end I think its at page 17 right know. I'll save this comment for my closing arguments.

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: Lazy L] #1576622 08/05/10 06:02 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Grizzly 1900
Oh and one other thing, I feel that we should all high fence our properties so that way everyone is happy! No one has to worry about someone else shooting that deer they protein fed for 4 years! We can just disregard all the big arse deer that people actually "hunted" instead of raised. There was a post that made a good point about going to cabelas and looking at the dates and stories of the deer they have on display, you might learn how hunting should be/was.

Dang you are eloquent, I like the words coming out of my mouth when I read your post up

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: Hobbs McAvoy] #1576640 08/05/10 06:18 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
Mature bucks are much harder to kill than young ones. I can see how some hunters with less ability do not like ARs.

I have to cry HOGWASH on this. I can prove it to. First give me a blank check and I gurantee I kill the best buck in the state of Texas this year. Hunting (deer hunting that is) is all about the allmighty dollar. I have friends that hunt once a year and some of them dont even own a gun even, that kill giant bucks that go beyound my wildest dreams.

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: 10pointers] #1576643 08/05/10 06:20 AM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: 10pointers
Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
Mature bucks are much harder to kill than young ones. I can see how some hunters with less ability do not like ARs.

I have to cry HOGWASH on this. I can prove it to. First give me a blank check and I gurantee I kill the best buck in the state of Texas this year. Hunting (deer hunting that is) is all about the allmighty dollar. I have friends that hunt once a year and some of them dont even own a gun even, that kill giant bucks that go beyound my wildest dreams.

free range???

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: SpoonPlatoon] #1576645 08/05/10 06:23 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
ARs are no different than welfare. Sure it may help some people that want it, but why should Something be taken away from me because you want bigger deer. If you want bigger deer go to a HF or get away from my lease, but don't tell me what I can/can't shoot, and don't take my hard earned money outta my check. Two rants in one.

Another well spoken quote up I think I'm on page 8 I better go do some work thats what they pay me for. I'll be back!

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: nichols] #1576702 08/05/10 11:55 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover

Well they could come up with some off the wall number like they did with width.... like this: Deer are legal if they are over 13 inches inside spread; or more than 20 inches tall; or have 8 points or more and the overall circumference of the perimeter of the antler cage is less than 23 inches; or one side of the antlers has more than 2 points less than the other side and at least 2 points itself....

I swear someday you are going to have to take a picture and send it to them for permission....

Also, the state views the deer as totally different from the Red River area than those in the Sulphur River area; Different Eco-Regions and Wildlife Management Units and Reporting Units.... Where we hunt, it's heavily wooded for miles, virtually no pasture or agri-use land. I too have hunted the north side, it's vastly different. When you get out east of Cuthand where the River was promulgated channel then there are some ranches and more open area.

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1576704 08/05/10 11:57 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
I really love all the Pro-AR guys whose best comeback is "Well you need to hunt a different county" or "Join the MLD" or "buy a differet ranch".... those aren't real options for most of the hunters in NE Texas.

And for the "hunt a different county" guys.... Couldn't the same be said for those of you trying to raise south texas big wide antlers on east texas deer with lame AR's... "Well if you want big antlers go south and pay big money"?

Same argument, sounds stupid either way....

Re: Brown its Down.... [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #1576770 08/05/10 12:59 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Fortunately, the law is on our side.

We win.

Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread