Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Most Dangerous Situation #1419872 05/12/10 02:19 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
What is the most dangerous situation that you have ever been faced with while hunting or just participating in any kind of outdoor activity? It could involve guns, snakes, falling out of a deer stand, other people, bears, etc. I was just wondering what kind of dangers people have faced while hunting or just being in the outdoors.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BenBob] #1419906 05/12/10 02:35 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Swimming for decoys in 40 degree weather. smile

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Txduckman] #1419913 05/12/10 02:38 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Was hung up in briars with pigs all around me, had my trusty .41 out but that arm was hung up.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Txduckman] #1419925 05/12/10 02:42 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
A buddy of mine was complaining that his gun was jammed so I asked him to give it to me. He hands it to me with his finger inside the trigger guard (I didn't know that) and the barrel pointing straight up. As I take it, his finger catches the trigger, pulling the barrel down towards my head and the gun goes off, probably about a foot over my face.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: cameron00] #1419983 05/12/10 03:05 PM
S
scot Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: cameron00
A buddy of mine was complaining that his gun was jammed so I asked him to give it to me. He hands it to me with his finger inside the trigger guard (I didn't know that) and the barrel pointing straight up. As I take it, his finger catches the trigger, pulling the barrel down towards my head and the gun goes off, probably about a foot over my face.

I think I'd find a new hunting buddy...

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: scot] #1419986 05/12/10 03:06 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I told him I'd never hunt with him again, and to his credit, he hasn't hunted since.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BenBob] #1420005 05/12/10 03:13 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Riding around with my safety off not knowing it. Peppered a buddy of mine pretty good one time while he retrieved a dove. I was using hi brass 6's.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: cameron00] #1420014 05/12/10 03:16 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
the cable on the bottom section of my climber came undone and I couldn't get it back in the slot w/ chillin' between 20-25' up in a tree. It all could have been avoided had it not been spicy tamale day at work.......

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: rifleman] #1420046 05/12/10 03:27 PM
W
West Fork Armory Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
I fell off a 30 foot cut bank on a river, it was dark and I thought it was the path, well when I hit the ground my shoulder was dislocated and my surefire was no where to be seen. I did save my rifle though. Then I had to walk back through a crappy trail to find my jeep and it was pitch black out. To tell you how bad my arm was, my hand was backwards and I couldn't move my fingers, so I could reach my cell phone. I ended up driving with the car door open all the way to the hospital. My arm was out of socket for two hours. That was 19 months ago and still haven't fully recovered.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: West Fork Armory] #1420072 05/12/10 03:36 PM
S
Santamour123 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I was home from college. Not having many days to hunt, I shot a small 4 point. When I was dressing it a guy came up to me. ( who I knew was an %^&hole drunk, who hunted the land adjasent to me.)He was mad because he let that buck walk. Words got heated and he pointed his rifle at my chest and said "I could leave you lay here." The only thing I could think of is to say "Go ahead but you won't walk away. You see that lone tree over there. My old man is sitting there watching on his bipod. now. You make the call!" He muddered something and walked away. The old man was at work . But, he didn't know that!!!!

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Brother in-law] #1420074 05/12/10 03:36 PM
DSP56 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I was out duck hunting by myself about 4 years ago. The tank I was hunting floods every time it rains so there is about 3 foot of water pretty far out all the way around it. This tank doesnt have a slight slope to the bottom. It drops hard and fast to a bottom depth of around 30-35 feet. As I was setting out decoys on the edge , I took 1 step to far and was in water way over my head . My waders filled up with water alot faster then I tought they would , so, to the bottom I went! I dont know how I did it ( by the grace of God I guess) but I got the waist latch undone and kicked the waders off and pulled my way back to the bank. Just really , really lucky that day. If I hade not gottin those waders off I might still be at the bottom of that tank and my family would'nt have a clue where I was at.

If I had a big horse pistol like that , I would'nt be scared of no Booger Man! - Rooster Cogburn
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: rifleman] #1420086 05/12/10 03:42 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
The time I thought I would try to squirrel hunt with
my T/C .410 barrel.(I didn't realize at the time the
rifling would throw a donut crappy pattern and I couldn't
hit a beer can 15 feet away)I started out walking down
the road to get to a certain creek bottom I wanted to
hunt first thing that morning.I was almost there and
topped a hill and just below was a pack of about 12-
15 stray dogs(feral dogs?)4 or 5 of them got up and
was looking at me and growling low and all bristled up.
I thought "man. . .what a great time to be alone and
with teeny one shooter" I stood still and they finally
all got up and went in the woods.Later that day some
of the folks at the campsite said some items had been
stolen while everyone was away in the woods that morning
(coolers-campstoves-the like)That evening I went to the
farthest corner of the area to see if I could pick up
a couple of squirrels before dark.Almost back to the
road and my truck,I heard a truck idling real loud,and
got close enough to see an old beat up truck with one
guy driving,two in the back,and one on the ground peering
over in the back of my truck and looking inside through
the windows.He got back in the back and they left and hadn't
done anything wrong other than look my truck over so we
didn't have any gunfights that day

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: maximum] #1420313 05/12/10 05:28 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
Walking up on snakes!

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Txkiller] #1420328 05/12/10 05:39 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Txkiller
Walking up on snakes!

I have had them en inch away from my toes. No biggy. Just don't act scared and they slither away. Seriously.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Txkiller] #1420333 05/12/10 05:41 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Messing with an angry, smart sow caught in a trap that figured out how the door swung.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: maximum] #1420336 05/12/10 05:43 PM
W
westtex75 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Had more close encounters than I can tell about. Once picked up a kid who was excited over killing a buck and forgot to put his safety back on. As he jumped into the cab of my truck, he touched the trigger and shot a hole thru the floor of my truck. Do you know how loud a 270 is in the cab of a truck?

Stepped squarely on the head of a rattler last spring while slipping in to a turkey roost before daylite.

When I was a kid, I slipped on a rain slicked bluff and went straight into a swollen river. Couldn't even begin to swim in that current and was finally able to grab a log and crawl out. But it scared me like nothing before and I signed up for swimming lessons that summer.

But the worst..........I had the chance to hunt a private ranch in montana for several yrs. I found a secluded spot that required lots of walking to get to. Didn't want to haul my tree stand in and out so I left it in the tree one yr. and came back to hunt it the next. The next yr when I was climbing into my setup and got all the way to the top step only to have it pull out of the tree. There I was holding on only to a step that was up above my head w/ my right hand and my body swinging in the air 25 ft. above the ground. I looked down and decided I would not fare well by letting go. So I held on for all I was worth until I was able to swing back and wrap my legs around that tree and slowly get to the ground. I was never so happy to feel the ground under my feet. Long story short it tore the pectoralis muscle away from its insertion on my chest and the next day I looked like someone had sprayed black paint on my chest and back. Moral of story always check tree steps before you put wt. on them and saftey belts ..........not a bad idea.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: BenBob] #1420338 05/12/10 05:45 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Took my Blazer up the side of a "mountain" once and reached an impass... had to turn around on quite a steep incline.

I've had a few close call with rattlers but I don't even count them. Heck I hardly even get the adrenalin rush from snakes any more.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #1420377 05/12/10 06:10 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Had a full feeder barrel fall at my feet when the pulley bolt sheared (recent post).

Also jumped a mountain lion once in a ravine we used as our gut dump. It was just below me hugging the wall where I couldn't see it. Dumped a full bucket, cat came straight up, all I had to defend myself was the empty bucket. Luckily, the cat was not interested in mixing it up.

Had a 270 malfunction once and go off once when I chambered a round in my blind. Very loud.... hole in roof of blind... couldn't hear a thing for a while.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Scoop] #1420397 05/12/10 06:19 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Did not happen to me but to my Uncle, He was crossing a fence with his gun. I guess safety was off and he fell the gun went off into his leg. He was alone. Eventually, his son in law came looking for him and got him help. He had put a tourniquet on the leg to stop the bleeding but eventually his lost that leg.

Old Soldier
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #1420467 05/12/10 06:56 PM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park out in CA. I was free climbing a small rock face and had just pulled myself up into a new spot. One that was shared by a rattle snake. He never really reared back, but he did swivel his head around a bit. I couldn't really do anything as I had one foot extended out to a new toe hold while I held my weight with my arms and hands. I slowly reversed my steps and and we parted ways ASAP. Then I went back to camp and got a clean pair of shorts on.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: SATX] #1420973 05/12/10 11:12 PM
R
rclester89 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
I'll tell a story for my dad...

My dad has always been a big elk hunter and had a good friend who ran an outfitter about 2 hours outside Boseman Montana. Few years back he went up to hunt early in the season. All the hunting is done by horse back and stalking and the property is 20,000 acres of wilderness and not exactly the hike and bike friendly type. Early his second morning he was taking his horse up a 300ft shale embankment to get a shot on a good 6x6. When he reached the top of the ridge his horse lost his footing and tossed my dad. My father slid about 200 yards before he was able to get on his back and dig his rifle into the ground. He said he finally stopped about 10-15ft short of a 400 ft vertical drop. I now shoot his 7mag that literally saved his life and man does it have the scuff marks to prove it.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: rclester89] #1421043 05/13/10 12:13 AM
R
RMR Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Lots of stories from people at my lease but only real dangerous thing for me was getting peppered while dove hunting.

The beauty of the Second Ammendment is it won't be needed until they try and take it.
Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: RMR] #1421109 05/13/10 12:50 AM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Opening day of a two day offshore tournement out of Galveston Yacht basin left out for a 4:00 am "shotgun start" from the jetties. Skipper of the boat must have stayed at the Captains meeting from the night before just a little to long. I was sitting down below on a large igloo tying some ribbon fish for baits,the next thing i know i was on my hands and knees in 6 inches of water,almost out from hitting my head on the ladder to the flybridge. Skipper put us up on plane and hit the North jetties at about 25 knots with a 36' Bertrum. We were doing a filming for a fishing show from many years ago,the camera guy was scrambling to get all his equipment in to one the ice chests the skipper is trying to get all his Penn Internationals tied up to life jackets and and we are sinking fast. Being a big guy when the boat was on its dying wiggles before sinking i decide im going to jump about the time the boat is going under and my life jacket gets caught up in the fighting chair, i finally got it loose and was able to get to the surface and swim to the jetties, this all happened about 4:00 am and we have no flare gun, no radio and were are pretty much stuck. Right before daylight we see a coast guard boat coming and we think we got it made,wrong someone had a heartattack at the South jetties and they were headed to help them. After daylight we were discovered by some guys in a small boat fishing the boat cut. While sitting on the rocks oil and bait and Miller lite were floating everywhere, I told the Skipper you bring us all the way out here crash the jetties and you dont have anything to drink but lite beer?
Went back to work on Monday passed out and spent the next ten days in Hermann hospital with a fractured skull.

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #1421153 05/13/10 01:15 AM
P
prohunter2011 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
my old lady said she was going to oklahoma so while she was gone i got to go to the bar were she cought me sitting about my first drink.wasnt good

Re: Most Dangerous Situation [Re: Santamour123] #1421313 05/13/10 02:04 AM
B
BOB7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Santamour123
I was home from college. Not having many days to hunt, I shot a small 4 point. When I was dressing it a guy came up to me. ( who I knew was an %^&hole drunk, who hunted the land adjasent to me.)He was mad because he let that buck walk. Words got heated and he pointed his rifle at my chest and said "I could leave you lay here." The only thing I could think of is to say "Go ahead but you won't walk away. You see that lone tree over there. My old man is sitting there watching on his bipod. now. You make the call!" He muddered something and walked away. The old man was at work . But, he didn't know that!!!!

i first thought was' i'd catch that guy later without his gun and give him an a_ _ whipping of his life.
then i remembered a story i think it about five or so years ago around crosbyton.

i looked for the story on the internet and couldn't find it, but anyway this guy had leased his land out to this guy and thay got cross some how or another.
the land owner and his grown son were sitting in the pickup out on this place.
the guy that had it leased drives up beside them and rolls down his window
so they roll down thier window to see what he wants
this guy raises up a 12 guage and shoots them both.
if i remember right the dad dies right there and the son lives for a while but dies a day or two later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide