Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division #11866 12/14/04 04:34 PM
M
mwd Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Check out the article on the ESPN news site.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservation/news/2004/1203/1938114.html

Seems that the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and the Fund for Animals have merged and formed an Animal Protection Litigation section. One of their goals is to fight hunting on public lands and traditional wildlife management techniques.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: mwd] #11867 12/14/04 05:00 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That's bull crap, da** tree huggers. Be sure to renew your memberships NRA or SCI what ever you are member to. We need to support these organizations, for them to fight for OUR rights.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: mwd] #11868 12/14/04 05:01 PM
B
Bonehead Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The battlefeild changes yet again! Bring 'em on! We just need to stand together and fight for our rights!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."..Dr.Suess
Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: Bonehead] #11869 12/15/04 04:02 PM
T
TSU Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
BS

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: TSU] #11870 12/15/04 04:28 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
It's so ridiculous to see so many people who know nothing about animals, wildlife, or mother nature say hunting is wrong. How can these people call themselves animal lovers, and not support hunting.

I can honestly say that I'm an animal lover. I hate to see someone mistreat an animal, and I especially can't stand to see them starve to death. Do these so called animal lovers not realize how cruel mother nature can be. It's bad enough to see deer starve to death in the middle of winter after hunting season today, but could you imagine how many would die of starvation every winter if there was no hunting allowed.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: Redneck_Hunter] #11871 12/15/04 09:44 PM
V
varmitzfa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
V
Hum maybe I'll start the Anti HSUS Targeting the Animal Litigation Section from the Brown County Chapter. Now don't that sound important.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: dgilbert] #11872 12/30/04 10:03 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

That's bull crap, da** tree huggers. Be sure to renew your memberships NRA or SCI what ever you are member to. We need to support these organizations, for them to fight for OUR rights.

Hmmm. I have to say I disagree with the Anti-Hunters but I also take issue with the "Damn Treehuggers" statement as well. I am a tree hugger. I am a conversationist. I am an enviromentlist. The way you win the war of opinions is with facts, an open mind and a willingness to accept people with differnt beliefs and try and work with them to help them understand that there is at least 2 sides to a coin.

I personally have taken 2 anti-hunters hunting this year. I have also got 1 Vegan (no animal products) and 2 Vegitarians (Non meat eaters) to try venison. The Vegitarian are fans, the Vegan is not. But I have helped open their eyes to the reality of the world they live in. I could have eaisly told them all to get bent and wrote them all off but I would have done more harm to our cause then good.

Do us all a favor. Take a Anti-Hunter hunting. Explain conservation, ecology and enviromentlism to everyone you know and if you dont know the differnce in the three educate yourself so that you can educate others.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: txbrian] #11873 12/31/04 02:47 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
This is Crazyhorse, and I really appreciate your posting.You have some excellent opinions, and yes you are a tree hugger, but not in the same sense, as the people that have really fallen under the spell of PETA or the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). The folks you took hunting weren't anti-hunters, they may have said they were, but they were confused. you probably opened their eyes to some things they hadn't thought of. True anti-hunters like anti-gun people have had their eyes and mind permanently closed. True anti's, whether gun or hunting/animal use, are not going to rest till there is no private gun ownership, no consumptive use of wildlife or livestock, and no pet ownership. These people have an agenda, as I have said before, any victories the anti-hunting forces obtain, help the anti-gun crowd. If you can't hunt why do you need to own a gun. Just so you will know, I have been dealing with folks that don't agree with hunting for 23 years now, I have also been dealing with so-called or self proclaimed vegetarians for that same amount of time. It never amazes me that those same folks are among the first to "Belly Up" to the table when Lora and I are serving cooked game meat. I hope that you will continue to participate in the forums, but that you will keep both an open eye and mind to the way things are.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: campcook] #11874 12/31/04 03:37 AM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Well, I would like to further Campcook's take on the subject...The nice folks that you took hunting were not anti-hunters but non-hunters. The difference being that non-hunters don't have any issues with hunting, they just don't do it.
As for "vegans"....now there's a strange one. These folks will not eat anything organic! No veggies, plants or meat. They refuse to eat anything that can be classified as once living. "Vegetarians" on the other hand claim to be non-meat eaters, although some or most of them will eat poultry and other non-red meats.
Now for the "treehuggers". You may be a conservationist, or environmentally friendly. I consider myself as somewhat of a conservationist and I am very environmentally aware. Treehuggers by enlarge are radicals who think that we shouldn't effect the environment in any way, shape or form...including but not limited to...hunting, fishing, recreational use of lakes and rivers, even that which ensures the survival of the human race. I am sure you have heard of the "Greenpeace" organization. Now there's a good example of treehuggers. People who will resort to terrorism to deter or prevent ANY actions which may impact the environment.
I am a firm believer in protecting and preserving our environment but I also believe that we have rights as humans and AMERICANS, to maintain and continue our heritage!

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: JBCooper] #11875 12/31/04 03:59 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
JB, you do have a way with words. Although, I do have to claim to be a tree hugger myself. I want to get out of the vehicle and hug the first mesquite that I see after I have been out of Texas for any reason.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: campcook] #11876 12/31/04 04:06 AM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
CHC, in that case, call me a treehuggin fool! LOL

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: JBCooper] #11877 12/31/04 04:07 AM
campcook Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Amen Brother and Happy New Year.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: JBCooper] #11878 12/31/04 03:48 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

Well, I would like to further Campcook's take on the subject...The nice folks that you took hunting were not anti-hunters but non-hunters. The difference being that non-hunters don't have any issues with hunting, they just don't do it.
As for "vegans"....now there's a strange one. These folks will not eat anything organic! No veggies, plants or meat. They refuse to eat anything that can be classified as once living.

First. Correction on Vegan. Vegan means Strick no Animal Products. But they eat plenty of Veggies, but no meat, no milk, no egg's, no cheese, no leather, yada yada yada.

As for my calling them Anti-Hunters (The 2 I took hunting) I assure you they are Anti Hunters. They are Anti-Gun. Hell the two girls almost got into a fist fight at the camp with some of the other guys on the lease over hearing a story on tracking a deer. They are both PETA, ACLU, greenpeace types. We have been friends for some time and argue day and night and I got them to come hunting with my under the guies of "Know you enemy" the same way they drug me to PETA and ACLU meetings. I can say this. Both sides who Lockstep adhear to a mindset give fule to the other side.

For instance PETA. I have plenty of friends who are in it passivly and one who is a VERY active member. Thruth of the matter is there are people in this country, state and here in my Hippy loving city of Austin who are abuseing animals and need to be stopped. There are poachers who are shooting animals out of season and skinning them on the side of roads. These morons fule the PETA fire and rightly so. Do some PETA people take it too far? Hell yeah. In general does PETA have the right approach? Debateable, but I will say that I agree in general with the mindset that they have "No unnessary harm, discomfort or pain to animals" and I live by that. That means going to the range 10 times in the couple months before gun season opens, careful shots and the like. To the PETA extremeist that's no stepping on a bug. That's there perogrative until they push it on me but the battle is won by enacting change on the things we can control (outselves) and not on the things we can't (Extremeist anti-gun/hunters) by conducting ourselves in a respectable manner and calling out our fellow hunters on questionable and outright un-ethical behaviour.

The ACLU. One thing you guys should notice about the ACLU is that their take on all the amemendments with exception of their 2nd amendments stance is stunning. They are one of the best non-profits lobbiest in respect to protecting your privacy and rights (with the exception of Gun Rights) and should not be cast aside or demonised. These people need to be confronted about their 2nd amendment stance. I have personally cornered Anthony Romero, the ACLU Executive Director, here in Austin and put the screws to him. Not hostial or meanheartedly, but really trying to point out that the ACLU movement would be roundly backed by many more if they just drop their 2nd amendment stance.

Anyway fight the good fight and effect change where you can every day. Fights may be lost but the battle will still remain, in the end education, logic and cool tempers will solve this quicker then demonisation, radicals and hot tempers.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Brian

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: txbrian] #11879 12/31/04 04:21 PM
R
Redneck_Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
good reply and I have to agree.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: mwd] #11880 01/06/05 01:12 PM
W
Whitey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
This is like the "Cold War".
1. It's a war.
2. It is a war of ideals and attrition.
3. The outcome isn't determined in a few key battles.
4. It will go on for decades or centuries.
5. If we don't recruit new members to the sport, it will not be available for our grandchildren.

Both groups strongly believe in their position. Hunters believe the right to keep and bare arms includes their right to follow their heritage and hunt. The "Antis" believe strongly that hunting is cruel, tasteless and morally wrong. This is the "Ideals" part and very straight forward.

The attrition part of this battle is a little more interesting. As our society becomes more urban, people lose touch with their natural primal urges to hunt. I have many friends whose fathers and grandfathers were hunters but it was never passed down to them. They never eat fish they catch or venison they harvest. Heck, they don't even have a garden. Consequently, they don't hunt and have no desire to teach their children. Their kids think food comes from the grocery store and never give a thought to the natural world outside Walt Disney. They aren't "Antis" however I fear their children will become Anti-Hunters.

The Antis already control the media. If you don't believe that, do you really think the movie "Bambi" made by a little studio called Disney was just about a baby deer? Is it any coincidence that the major networks don't carry any hunting or fishing shows? Why is the outdoors section such a small part of your morning paper? You know why!

We all know that the number of hunters shrinks each year in relation to the overall population. In short, we are losing the battle to attrition. Can you imagine in 2030 when hunters only make up 1% of the population? Maybe not in Texas but look at some of the blue states.

The only way to win this battle is to extend our hunting family beyond our own sons & daughters. We need to take our neighbors kids to teach them about ethical hunting. It's never been more important to "TAKE A CHILD HUNTING!"

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: txbrian] #11881 01/06/05 02:17 PM
A
AdvTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
txbrian all I have to say is you and I share almost the same beliefs. It is hard for me to be on a lease with 7 other people who have different views but we talk and seem to get by their all good friends with different ideas on wildlife management.

Allow me to congratulate you on your writting skills

AdventureTX
aka tree huggin hippie

If you ever want to hunt a big free ranging north Texas deer shoot me an email!

Bow Only
Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: Whitey] #11882 01/06/05 04:46 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

This is like the "Cold War".

The Antis already control the media. If you don't believe that, do you really think the movie "Bambi" made by a little studio called Disney was just about a baby deer? Is it any coincidence that the major networks don't carry any hunting or fishing shows? Why is the outdoors section such a small part of your morning paper? You know why!

The only way to win this battle is to extend our hunting family beyond our own sons & daughters. We need to take our neighbors kids to teach them about ethical hunting. It's never been more important to "TAKE A CHILD HUNTING!"

Couple of point. I totally agree this is just like the cold war. But lets look at that. Did battles win it? Did Propraganda win it? Some would argue that the war we engaged in helped bankrupt the comunist nations, I would put forward they did nothing but assure us that in the future we would have more nations to war with (Who you think trained Osama bin forgotten?) But really what worked in the end was that people in the communist nations learned that the propraganda they were being fed was incorrect or misleading at best and a series of revolts happened.

Same thing here. We need to educate EVERY we see with facts and not propraganda. For instance. Take one of my friends who was a vegatarian that would eat meat about once a month. His entire reason for being a vegatariaan was health reasons. Americians consume to much supersaturated fat meat. Once he learned the health benifits of lean game meat that became the kinda meat he wanted to eat. Once he learned the conservation goals in the area I hunt and that Does need to be taken to reduce the population he was on board. He does not want to take a buck and that works out great in my area where on my lease TPWD recomends 24 does and 3 bucks be taken, but try to explain that to the 'good ole boy's' I hunt with. They shoot every small buck there is, regardless of the facts. Two of them have never shot a doe and will never shoot a doe cause "does make more buck's" totally casting away the obvious lack of forbes and totally screwed up ratio 10:1 (does:bucks) but the arangement with my friend works out great cause he only wants a doe. Hell I only shoot does, buck really do taste like (*#(!$ compared to does.

Another thing I want to take point with. The Anti's control the media? Please. I mean really. First off the major media as you know it is dieing, TV and morning papers are going the way of the dodo bird. My generation (Generation X) has all but shunned the typical old school media outlets cause it's nothing but infotainment at best, but what laughable is that anyone would claim to call the major media outlets anti/left/liberial biased. I would say it's right wing biased with some centerists based shows and that almost ALL media outlets have totally lost touch with what Journalist integrity is really all about. Hell I could go on for hours on this topic alone. My real point I am trying to make is that this sorta grandious claim "Antis control the media" really says nothing, helps nothing and means nothing. Last, if there was a demand for an outdoors section in your paper there would be one, if it was a big draw it would be biger, but it is not and why? Cause our sport is dieing from internal and external wounds. The external wounds (Peta, anti's and the like) you can do nothing about unless you start hunting them and then you just further thier cause and cause more internal damage. What needs to be done is our sport needs a revival, we need to take leasons from everyone else, be open minded, seek out differnt opinions and confront them in a calm and kind manner. Educated them with facts and leave the propraganda and broad general statments for cheerleading with fellow like minded people.

As for your idea to expand the hunting to more people. I al all for it. There is strength in numbers. One thing we will need to remember is that for a lot of people the idea of taking an animal is so forgien that they need to be approached lightly. Take things slow. And all Hunters need to be aware that there are other hunters out there that will think differntly. I recently watched a group of 5 people chastise a fellow hunter that supported the Assult Weapons Ban (and No it was not me, I do not support the Assult Weapons Ban) but they tried to blow it all out of wack and started attacking him, his stance and his choice of weapons. In reality all they did was further justify his belief, whereas had we all just sat down with him and taken my pre-ban AK and showen him how trivial and silly the ban was they would have had a better chance to bring this guy to thier side. I understand the urge to attack anything and everything that I dont like, but it is not always the best choice when you want to win the war and not just the battle. The fact of the matter is we are in a dieing tradition, with shrinking numbers, the only way we win this is to bring more into the sport and we are not going to get more people to join our ranks if we attack, annoy and belittle everyone who has a question, differnce of opinion or differnt way of thinking about our sport. We need to welcome anyone and everyone into the sport with open arms, and welcome all questions and field them with calm resolve and not Rambo style attacks. We are the embasadors of our dieing trradition and I for one want to see that trend reversed.

Great post!

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: AdvTX] #11883 01/06/05 04:49 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

txbrian all I have to say is you and I share almost the same beliefs. It is hard for me to be on a lease with 7 other people who have different views but we talk and seem to get by their all good friends with different ideas on wildlife management.

Allow me to congratulate you on your writting skills

AdventureTX
aka tree huggin hippie

If you ever want to hunt a big free ranging north Texas deer shoot me an email!

Dont I know it. But then again I love to argue and have deep conversations so the 6 other guys I hunt with and thier differnce of opinions just keeps the campfire conversations going hot and heavy.

A big north texas deer sounds liek fun, perhaps sometime I will take you up on it, as it stands right now with my current job I am ammased I got to hunt at all this year.

Keep fighting the good fight, facts always win over propraganda and fear!

Brian

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: txbrian] #11884 01/06/05 09:39 PM
W
Whitey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
txbrian,

Gotta disagree with you about "the Antis control the media". I am the last of the Baby Boomers at 40 years old. Old enough to remember the American Sportsman with Kurt Gowdy on ABC Saturday afternoons. Old enough to remember a few other sportsmen (Bing Crosby, Bob Hope) on network TV. I believe people vote with their dollars and this is obviously a demographic that the liberal media doesn't care about.

Look at the Outdoor Channel on cable. A publicly traded company that went from nothing in 1993 to a market capitalization of $258 M and 26 million subscribers. Almost sounds like Fox News on a smaller scale.

And old enough to remember the outdoors section in most Texas city newspapers was much larger than it is today.
Until my generation is dead and gone, the newspaper will continue to sell and not go the way of the Dodo bird.

I think it is interesting now how the hunting shows on ESPN, OLN and Outdoor Channel all run a disclaimer about these scenes may be offensive to some viewers. Why do they run that? Could it be that they don't want to be sued by PETA?

Maybe I'm confusing control of the media with attrition because older hunters are dieing and there are not enough new ones being recruited to the sport.

One thing is for sure. Any sport, hobby, lifestyle that becomes very litigious also becomes expensive and the barriers for entry increase dramatically. We need to find ways to decrease the barriers and get more people to enter the sport.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: Whitey] #11885 01/06/05 09:47 PM
B
Bonehead Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I'm glued to The Outdoor Channel and OLN and the only person that had the nards to show, ON SCREEN, how to field dress an animal was The Nuge. You are right about the disclaimers and it is annoying to me that you can show processed meat on the show, but not how it was derived. Aren't these shows for the sake of education as well as entertainment? That seems goofy to me.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."..Dr.Suess
Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: txbrian] #11886 01/06/05 09:52 PM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
txbrian, I am gonna disagree with your opinion on the media as well. With the exception of FOX networks, the mainstream media is a left-wing majority. CNN claims to be un-biased and such but if you watched around election time, you'd have seen their liberal-leaning reports first hand.
If the media wasn't left-wing controlled or biased, we wouldn't have the issue of "content warnings" and such. We would still have hunting, fishing and boxing available on the major "public" networks. The antis have a very strong hold, if not almost total control of the media.
Can I ask what age group you're in? I am only curious because you seem to have views that I am unfamiliar with...in fact some of your opinions are "greek" to me.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: JBCooper] #11887 01/06/05 11:09 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

txbrian, I am gonna disagree with your opinion on the media as well. With the exception of FOX networks, the mainstream media is a left-wing majority. CNN claims to be un-biased and such but if you watched around election time, you'd have seen their liberal-leaning reports first hand.
If the media wasn't left-wing controlled or biased, we wouldn't have the issue of "content warnings" and such. We would still have hunting, fishing and boxing available on the major "public" networks. The antis have a very strong hold, if not almost total control of the media.
Can I ask what age group you're in? I am only curious because you seem to have views that I am unfamiliar with...in fact some of your opinions are "greek" to me.

Dudes. You think PETA has something to do with the contant warnings are the start of our favorite hunting show? Are you kidding me? Have you asked a producer of these shows why that is the case? its called the FCC. Headed by Colin Powels son. They issue fine to stations that broadcast things they deam offensive (Censorship) or that people deam offensive and call and complain about (Change the channel). That's the cold hard facts in that case guys. I know it's all fun to 'Rah Rah the damn hippies have screwed everything up' but that's wrong and counterproductive to our efforts.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: Bonehead] #11888 01/06/05 11:12 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

Aren't these shows for the sake of education as well as entertainment?

I have mutiple friends in the industry (TV) and I have never in my life heard any one of them even vaugly ellude to giving a flip about educational content, it's all about Neloson ratings, in other words, it's all about the money.

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: txbrian] #11889 01/06/05 11:17 PM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
txbrian, I didn't say anything about PETA. I said anti's. Don't think for a second that PETA is the only anti-hunting/gun organization.
On the issue of censorship/content warnings...these are examples of left-wing liberals who think that the government should mandate what we can and can't see on TV. (Let's make laws because the general public can't decide for themselves.) They don't give the rest of us enough credit to make the decision for ourselves. The problem here stems from parents too DA*# "LAZY" to judge for themselves what their kids should watch. They expect the networks to babysit their children and not show anything offensive because they aren't gonna take the time to monitor what the children are watching. I am SICK TO DEATH OF THIS CRAP! I'm tired of being told what might be offensive! I might be deamed offensive! Guess what....I don't care! LOL That's why I live here in America! However, being politically correct has overwhelmed our ability to speak freely!

Re: Anti-Hunting Group Announces Litigation Division [Re: Whitey] #11890 01/06/05 11:19 PM
T
txbrian Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

txbrian,
Gotta disagree with you about "the Antis control the media". I am the last of the Baby Boomers at 40 years old.

The simple fact of the matter is that the demand for these shows is gone. Hunting is a Fringe sport at best and dieing more and more every day. If there was a huge market demand for hunting shows the market would fill it. If the general public was not offended by haveing even the foggiest clue where meat comes from, how it is harvested or even a passing intrest in where we came from the the living history we all participate in the headlines in newspapers would be about the comming cold front, the rut, and the best venison recipies. The fact of the matter is our sport is not growing, except in cost, and for the most part a lot of people in this sport either plainly discourage others from joining or are so set in their ways they believe a straight party ticket will allow them to keep on ignoreing the world.

As for you Left Wing bias in the media. Go on believeing what you want. The media like our goverment was bought a long time ago and then sold to the higest bidder. If you can tell me how 5 major media outlets that own the vast majority of the media outlets in our country under control of Republician supporting CEO's is left wing bias I am all ears. CNN is Propraganda. FoxNews is Propraganda. CBS, NBC and ABC are Infotainment with a side of Propraganda for flavor. They are useless and the days where journalist do real work is over, it's now about Infotainment, Gee I wonder who Ben Aflack is dating today, I bet if I turn on the news I will find out more about him that the tragidy in India or the mess in Iraq.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide