Forums46
Topics539,924
Posts9,755,702
Members87,194
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: HuntingBarbie] #1032854 11/12/09 09:11 PM
D
Dry Fire Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I have my own deer lease. But I would volunteer "sweat equity" to just hunt arrowheads or fish a stock tank in the off season.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: HuntingBarbie] #1032927 11/12/09 09:50 PM
M
MELackey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: HuntingBarbie
However my family has a nice set-up for hunting so most of my girlfriends always ask if there boyfriends can come out to hunt. Not that I would mind but when I say no, my girlfriends can get kinda pissy. I think that some people just don't realize the amount of work that goes into it. They just don't understand ... Its alot of time and money invested into the land/deer management process.

Exactly... I hunt land owned by the in-laws. I guess I married the right woman? I don't pay the bills, but I do have sweat equity involved. I can tell you that the time, effort, and money involved in making a place into a good game ranch is incredible. Brush management, water sources, food sources, etc take lots of money and lots of time. Add to that stands, feeders, skinning stations, etc. That stuff doesn't just appear out fo thin air.

Basically, I now go alone during hunting season. I plan a couple of "play" weekends during the off season to bring guests and leave it at that. It gets guys out there for fun, shooting, ATV's, and big steaks, without having to worry about the hunting.

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: MELackey] #1032942 11/12/09 09:58 PM
O
olepal Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
O
I understand the reluntance to invite for many reasons stated, but I also wonder what any do to help get others into hunting. Some people, me included, will most likely never be able to afford a lease, whether for deer or waterfowl, but would dearly love to get 1 or 2 hunts a year. I am willing to work, am a licensed electrician, have a 4x4 truck, 8 dozen decoys all TX rigged, and all the equipment. Just don't have a location and can't spend a lot of time scouting public hunting areas. Anyone who takes me hunting has a friend for life. And, lest anyone think I am a younster, I am 61 years old but just do not have the resources some others have.

olepal

Last edited by olepal; 11/12/09 11:20 PM.
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: olepal] #1033103 11/12/09 11:09 PM
M
maichip Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
"Exactly... I hunt land owned by the in-laws. I guess I married the right woman? I don't pay the bills, but I do have sweat equity involved. I can tell you that the time, effort, and money involved in making a place into a good game ranch is incredible. Brush management, water sources, food sources, etc take lots of money and lots of time. Add to that stands, feeders, skinning stations, etc. That stuff doesn't just appear out fo thin air."

Thats just it... As a landowner, I pay for the land, taxes, tractor, diesel, maintenance and upkeep of the equipment, feed, feeders, stands, food, trailer/barn. Several times a year cut grass, maintain roads, cut fallen trees, maintain fences and a million other things involved in land management.

Its a labor of love but when someone asks if they can hunt my place I just smile. If I want you to go I will ask you. Most people just have no idea of what it takes to maintain a place.

Now on the other hand, I have a close friend that is happy to help out whenever I ask. To him its an opportunity to get out and get some tractor time (therapy). I have asked him to hunt several times but he just says that he will be glad to go with me but he's just not that mad at those animals anymore. Go figure.

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: maichip] #1034050 11/13/09 06:21 AM
H
HuntingBarbie Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
"Thats just it... As a landowner, I pay for the land, taxes, tractor, diesel, maintenance and upkeep of the equipment, feed, feeders, stands, food, trailer/barn. Several times a year cut grass, maintain roads, cut fallen trees, maintain fences and a million other things involved in land management."

That is what my grandfather does, now that he is getting to old my Father is starting to manage everything. I am the only child in the family so my husband (who went hunting on public land before he met me) is learning the process and the labor of it all. I love the Ranch but due to my demanding day job and distance, I know that I would never be able to manage it. When he proposed to me my grandfather said I call BS that you fell in love with her ... You fell in love with the Ranch. My husband looked at him with a smile and said "Sir, you caught me."

We have some buddies who are in the military and don't have the time or ability to manage a spot of their own. I asked my grandfather if they could come out last year, and he allowed it. Sad thing is one of them left food wrappers in a stand and was disrespectful to the property. They also came out and ran their mouth about "this is free for me"... The year before that a buddy came out and brought his girlfriend. Then informed me that he planned on shooting as many deer as he could and filling out her tags as well. I ABOUT FLIPPED and was glad that I caught it before it happened.

Its a great sport and an expensive one (even if you aren't into land management). Its something you just have to experience...If you get that chance be respectful and help out, I'm sure they will have you back out next time...

Resources are out there if I hear anything I will let you know via PM. What county are you in? Baytown is kinda far - I think, LOL ....

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: mmccalli] #1036421 11/14/09 05:00 PM
D
daulongranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: mmccalli
I'd mule plow 100 acres for a couple free hunts.

Watch what you wish for...someone might take you up on that. I have lots of fence that needs to be cleared and repaired to put livestock on my place. Mesquites, cactus, buzzworms, and lots of other things that will stick you or bit you. The fence isn't bad, just wasn't taken care of before I owned the place.

daulongranch - Live in Rowlett - Ranch in Concho County

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: HuntingBarbie] #1036467 11/14/09 05:43 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: HuntingBarbie

Resources are out there if I hear anything I will let you know via PM. What county are you in? Baytown is kinda far - I think, LOL ....

If you were talking to me, Stephenville is in Erath county, and yes, it's erath, not earth.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: Closed Traverse] #1036523 11/14/09 06:36 PM
M
mossberg man Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
i guess im the opposite, most of the people that wanna go hunt with me, are willing to do some work. case in point, mossberg man here on the forum, has offered several times to come help me out.
ain't that the truth.

for those of you who have annoying pest who beg to come out, i say invite them for a 3 day hunt. on the first night and first day they earn their right to hunt the next two days by doing what ever is needed. they would also have to provide beer/food, cook and clean all three days.

she said ,why does that ammo have pretty green tips on it? the guy said its the eco-friendy ammo.
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: mossberg man] #1037047 11/15/09 01:21 AM
R
Reggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Man i'm a city boy and simply love working out in the country. I use to help a guy who lived near Athens pick watermelons. He offered to let me hunt his place but I had no idea how to field dress a animal so I always passed. I did so some squirrel hunting but that was it. I just love getting out the city and smelling some fresh air.

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: devildog28] #1037273 11/15/09 03:43 AM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: devildog28
I was really just being humorous with you.
As for the soldier it wasn't obviously that big a deal to him you were trying to be nice.
Devildog....Soldiers nor Marines aren't the same anymore...they all figure that since they have fought in a war and come back safe the whole world owes them something now....makes me furious. In reply to you not hearing from the guys,they were going to have to work during their precious time off and not get to kill a deer to boot...that's just selfish...you need any help, I'll come down and help for nothing!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: MELackey] #1037328 11/15/09 04:26 AM
R
Ron H Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
We ended up the other way. A buddy lost his lease and loaned us a really nice homemade tower blind and a large Sweeney feeder. Have tried to get him out there with us. We were rained out one weekend and then his schedule hasn't worked out.

Last edited by Ron H; 11/15/09 04:26 AM.
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: Ron H] #1037703 11/15/09 04:44 PM
1FowlHntR Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Ron H
We ended up the other way. A buddy lost his lease and loaned us a really nice homemade tower blind and a large Sweeney feeder. Have tried to get him out there with us. We were rained out one weekend and then his schedule hasn't worked out.
Man that's bad he lost his lease....friends like that are hard to come by though and ones ya need to hold on too!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: MELackey] #1044937 11/18/09 08:36 AM
D
DIME BOX DEER CAMP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
HEY DUDE THAT IS SO TRUE AND I HATE THAT AND ANOTHER HING THEY WNT MEAT WHEN IT'S FINISHED PROCESSED I HAVE ABOUT 200 ACERS BUT I HUNT ABOUT 1/4 OF IT VERY GOOD HUNTING I AM NOT COMPLAINING. THE THING IS WHEN IT'S MONEY TO COME OUT THE POCKET THEY PUT A ZIPPER ON IT. CRAZY [censored]. FOR I DONT CARE IF I HUNT ALONE.

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: DIME BOX DEER CAMP] #1045190 11/18/09 02:27 PM
B
Berretta man Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I guess it's becomimg the norm, something for nothing. I own a little place and spend lots of time working on it and setting it up. There is always people wanting to come in and hunt or use the place because they know you, or even worse are kin to you. I know over the last couple years I have burned several cords of good oak wood because nobody wants to come cut it up. Now if I cut it up I bet they would come get it.

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: Berretta man] #1052945 11/21/09 05:15 AM
D
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
HEY BRO I LIVE IN TEMPLE MYSELF WHER IS YOUR PLACE MINE IS IN DIME BOX I HAVE BIGS DO YOU LET ME KNOW WE MIGHT CAN SWAP A HUNT. NEVER KNOW

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: HuntingBarbie] #1052953 11/21/09 05:22 AM
D
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
HEY YOUNG LADY WHAT COUNTY U LIVE IN MY PLACE IS IN LEE COUNTY. DIME BOX

Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: MELackey] #1053361 11/21/09 05:14 PM
H
Hogfather Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: MELackey
anyone else notice that there are always LOTS of people lining up asking why you never invite them to go hunt, but in the rest of the year when you invite these same people to go and help do the work associated with hunting (brush control, feeder filling, stand building / repairing, etc, etc), these people always have something else going on?

I know exactly what you mean. They nver do anything at all, and as soon as you ask them to come work they disappear!! But come hunting season they are your best friend again.

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: Hogfather] #1053665 11/21/09 08:45 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Really, Ill take up a invite and help with work. I really dont care for deer. I Would like go hike and fish or shoot a pig or some varmint.

[Linked Image]
Re: Everyone ALWAYS wants an invite to go hunting... [Re: Tin Head] #1053903 11/21/09 11:03 PM
R
Reggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Tin Head
Really, Ill take up a invite and help with work. I really dont care for deer. I Would like go hike and fish or shoot a pig or some varmint.

+1 I'm not afraid of some work.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide