Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8973985 12/16/23 11:56 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by bobcat1
Originally Posted by J.G.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

-Alvin Toffler

I wouldn't think of me so much as illiterate.... Maybe stubborn and lazy... Not illiterate at all. #1 I live within my means and buy the best I can to do a certain job. I'm not going to shoot matches or precision. I'm gonna kill deer, pig, or coyote etc. out to 500 yards or less. I like flat shooting calibers that take a lot of the hold over and wind out of it. 22-250, 25-06, 7mm PRC. I'll stick with those the rest of my life most likely.

At least I found out I might have a problem with the Meopta scope, corrected that by selecting a Athlon scope. Not worried about Athlon scope at all. I know MOA scopes. If I was retired and well off, I would go learn about Mil Mil scopes and how to use them.

At 67 I'll probably just stick to what I know. I've made plenty of high wind adjustments and never had to take a second shot that I can remember to kill a deer out to 432 yards. I can shoot and have used simple duplex scopes all my life. Mostly 3-9x50mm Leupold Vari x2.

I wonder how I can do with this MOA reticle with all the MOA dope from a ballistic chart? I bet even better.

[Linked Image]

I bet you’re right.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8974101 12/17/23 03:39 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

-Alvin Toffler

I wouldn't think of me so much as illiterate.... Maybe stubborn and lazy... Not illiterate at all. #1 I live within my means and buy the best I can to do a certain job. I'm not going to shoot matches or precision. I'm gonna kill deer, pig, or coyote etc. out to 500 yards or less. I like flat shooting calibers that take a lot of the hold over and wind out of it. 22-250, 25-06, 7mm PRC. I'll stick with those the rest of my life most likely.

At least I found out I might have a problem with the Meopta scope, corrected that by selecting a Athlon scope. Not worried about Athlon scope at all. I know MOA scopes. If I was retired and well off, I would go learn about Mil Mil scopes and how to use them.

At 67 I'll probably just stick to what I know. I've made plenty of high wind adjustments and never had to take a second shot that I can remember to kill a deer out to 432 yards. I can shoot and have used simple duplex scopes all my life. Mostly 3-9x50mm Leupold Vari x2.

I wonder how I can do with this MOA reticle with all the MOA dope from a ballistic chart? I bet even better.

[Linked Image]

I bet you’re right.

cheers I love this reticle

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 12/17/23 03:39 AM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8974114 12/17/23 03:47 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I do too Buzz!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8974143 12/17/23 06:34 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I like the floating center cross. That is a nightmare for wind holds. Where is 10 MOA? Why are we using MOA when mils is superior for just about the only thing you use a reticle for anyway?

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8974149 12/17/23 10:05 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
MOA or MIL, it is still an angular measurement just in different measurement systems.

I would bet about every MIL guy on this thread has something on their rifle that is measured in MOA. It is a set it and forget it thing but still a MOA measured piece.

I never understood having scopes with MOA adjustment and MIL reticle but many manufactures must have. Guess it is their thought for transitioning people to MIL but if you are going to transition go all the way, why confuse people even more.

Bobby, I think you will be fine with your chosen scope.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: kmon11] #8974310 12/17/23 06:41 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by kmon11
I would bet about every MIL guy on this thread has something on their rifle that is measured in MOA.

My scope rings are mounted on a 20 moa Picatinny rail. Such a pain having to convert from moa to mil. Anyway, guilty, you busted me. Of all the things to bring me down!

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: Mickey Moose] #8974329 12/17/23 07:35 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
I would bet about every MIL guy on this thread has something on their rifle that is measured in MOA.

My scope rings are mounted on a 20 moa Picatinny rail. Such a pain having to convert from moa to mil. Anyway, guilty, you busted me. Of all the things to bring me down!

20 MOA ÷ 3.43 = 5.8 Mil

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: J.G.] #8974353 12/17/23 08:19 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

20 MOA ÷ 3.43 = 5.8 Mil

Thanks, J.G.. I have a mil rail, no longer moa. On EGW's site it is misgendered as moa.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8974502 12/18/23 01:14 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: kmon11] #8974650 12/18/23 01:22 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
MOA or MIL, it is still an angular measurement just in different measurement systems.

I would bet about every MIL guy on this thread has something on their rifle that is measured in MOA. It is a set it and forget it thing but still a MOA measured piece.

I never understood having scopes with MOA adjustment and MIL reticle but many manufactures must have. Guess it is their thought for transitioning people to MIL but if you are going to transition go all the way, why confuse people even more.

Bobby, I think you will be fine with your chosen scope.

mil reticle and moa adjustments were done by engineers who didn't understand shooting.

He'll be fine with the scope he has, but definitely spend some time learning the subtensions on the reticle because the lack of labels is very confusing to me and I've been doing this for a while. And while trying to memorize the subtensions, he's also going to be forced to memorize weird MOA wind hold values and be able to quickly multiple and divide them. You absolutely can do anything on an MOA scope that you can do on a MIL scope...it's just an unnecessary difficulty thrown into the mix.

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8974746 12/18/23 03:48 PM
TKM Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Mil-Mil was designed so shooters can hit a life saver at 50 yards. Mil-moa was designed by engineers that like to shoot the center of a life saver at 50 yards without breaking it.

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: patriot07] #8974791 12/18/23 05:31 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by patriot07
I like the floating center cross. That is a nightmare for wind holds. Where is 10 MOA? Why are we using MOA when mils is superior for just about the only thing you use a reticle for anyway?

10 MOA is at each end of vertical and Horizontal of the "floating" red cross. It looks like each line is 2 Moa to me...

[Linked Image]

Bobby Barnett

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8974802 12/18/23 05:50 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Meopta makes great scopes.. had several

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8975113 12/19/23 12:11 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by patriot07

10 MOA is at each end of vertical and Horizontal of the "floating" red cross. It looks like each line is 2 Moa to me...

[Linked Image]

I think you're right.

As long as you know where it is, you'll be fine. Wind holds are a bit harder with MOA, but it overall looks like a pretty nice scope.

Last edited by patriot07; 12/19/23 12:19 PM.
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8990220 01/19/24 01:23 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I think mil-mil and moa-moa are more about keeping one system in your mind and the reticle and the turrets functioning with the same calculations. Mil reticles with MOA adjustments is more about marketing/sales than engineering. We always had these MOA adjustment models, they just put a mil dot reticle in there to sell them better. That is why almost all the low end scopes have moa adjustments and a mil reticle. Funny with all the 3-9x scopes or etc, with mil reticles that are only true mil at 10x lol.

For sure the mil-mil reticle/adjustment comes from this line of thinking, and it is what snipers use for the most part. You can estimate range in mils and adjust in mils and hold for wind in mils. Less math, quicker results.

Reticles- i prefer a duplex or a cross hair. Leupold fine duplex is the #1 best all purpose reticle and gives you all the reference you need for holds out to any reasonable range. Maybe i am way behind the times lol. Duplex reticles are making a come back though thank God.

Meopta are fine scopes.

My DG coupon-receipt worth

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/19/24 01:25 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8990224 01/19/24 01:29 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
One more thing- if I was in a contest to thread a bullet through a hole in a life saver -without hitting it- as far away as possible, i would pick a Leupold fine duplex, second focal plane scope with all the magnification i could get. Something like a 20x EFR. Just saying.

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8993824 01/25/24 01:25 AM
R
Rounder Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
R
My, this thread has gotten windy.Meopta has made quality glass for eight decades. Have supplied glass for many companies Zeiss for one. I have several Meopta scopes. Non turret. I am a hunter. Will not shoot a whitetail beyond 150 yards and that is realistic. That is the only game animal I hunt. Use a 6.5 x 47 that does not bring enough power at much longer ranges. Think it would be interesting to ring steel at long range if I were younger and more motivated. Be realistic guys. You hunters are putting way to much scope on your rifle. Delusions of shooting at range. Please just don't unless you have the time and dedication to learn it well.

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: Rounder] #8993852 01/25/24 02:21 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Rounder
My, this thread has gotten windy.Meopta has made quality glass for eight decades. Have supplied glass for many companies Zeiss for one. I have several Meopta scopes. Non turret. I am a hunter. Will not shoot a whitetail beyond 150 yards and that is realistic. That is the only game animal I hunt. Use a 6.5 x 47 that does not bring enough power at much longer ranges. Think it would be interesting to ring steel at long range if I were younger and more motivated. Be realistic guys. You hunters are putting way to much scope on your rifle. Delusions of shooting at range. Please just don't unless you have the time and dedication to learn it well.

Hunting hogs and coyotes is still hunting.

I've shot 100:1 of them to Whitetail, Mule Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Axis, ect.

Over 100 coyotes from 5 yards to 540 yards to date.

Over 100 hogs from 5 yards to 700 yards to date.

One must have the right scope to make those far shots.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8993868 01/25/24 02:54 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
^When you have slain thousands of varmints but don’t want to deal with the trolls trying to call you out^

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: Rounder] #8998527 02/02/24 01:11 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Not all hunters want to limit their range to 150 yards. I'm a hunter that dials when the shot conditions dictate that it is necessary. As you state, it is interesting to ring steel at long range. We do it to verify our equipment so that we don't take unethical shots. The first time I dialed on an animal and killed it my hunting opportunities opened up in a big way. I've dialed on deer, hogs and coyotes (330-550 yards) 100's of times. Most of the time I hold. I don't know what you consider "way to much scope", but if you want to stretch things out beyond 150 yards ask here. You'll get some good advice based on your requirement.

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: Rounder] #8998566 02/02/24 02:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

delusions are thinking every one hunts over a corn pile @ <150 yards, and/or with excessive cover/blind

Realistic is knowing your limits are only your own.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: Rounder] #8998567 02/02/24 02:23 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I used to think like you. But my eyes were opened for me.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8998577 02/02/24 02:38 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Meopta is introducing a new line of rifle scopes for hunters this year.

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 02/02/24 02:38 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8998581 02/02/24 02:43 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Not all hunters want to limit their range to 150 yards. I'm a hunter that dials when the shot conditions dictate that it is necessary. As you state, it is interesting to ring steel at long range. We do it to verify our equipment so that we don't take unethical shots. The first time I dialed on an animal and killed it my hunting opportunities opened up in a big way. I've dialed on deer, hogs and coyotes (330-550 yards) 100's of times. Most of the time I hold. I don't know what you consider "way to much scope", but if you want to stretch things out beyond 150 yards ask here. You'll get some good advice based on your requirement.

You get to do stuff like this:
[Linked Image]
This was after a 330 yard shot on a coyote. Dialed it, held dead on with a duplex reticle.

Re: Meopta thoughts [Re: bobcat1] #8998705 02/02/24 05:09 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I thought Meopta rock solid until they did like many and wanted a larger market. Then you get the [censored] products at a lower price. Not unlike Husqvarna buying Poulan, they now have a “this is not what I wanted line, Optika” to grab the masses at an acceptable price. I’m not mad, their profits have to be up with more sales at a lower margin. Of course long term they have hurt their brand permanently. I’ll still buy Husqvarna made in Sweden but not Canada and Meopta made in the eastern block.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide