Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tikka T3x Rail Options #8964391 11/30/23 04:32 AM
TXBoss Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Have a second T3x need to rig up and was looking at some of the rail options.

Previous was an EGW rail, but looking at some of the Mountain Tactical Extended rails now and wonder if there is a better mousetrap.

The MT rails seem to have the locating pin / lug feature that I don't remember seeing on the EGW. Could be wrong.

Open to suggestions on this.

Rifle finish is the brown cerakote but don't think I'll find a rail in that right now.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment..." - W. Rogers
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964396 11/30/23 04:53 AM
B
bjones2571 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Unless you really prefer a rail, a lot of people use Sportsmatch rings that fit the Tikka Dovetail. Also, Unknown Munitions has started making a Tikka ring that utilizes the dovetail. Pricier, but have been well reviewed.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/sc...-30mm-medium-suits-tikka-15mm-dovetails/

https://www.unknownmunitions.com/product/um-tikka-rings/

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964406 11/30/23 05:44 AM
TXBoss Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thx, I'll look at that for future use.

But already have a set of Seekins and NF rings ready to go on a scope. Just need the rail.

Last edited by TXBoss; 11/30/23 05:45 AM.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment..." - W. Rogers
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964475 11/30/23 01:30 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
See page 2 of this thread, I went with the Mountain Tactical Rail and it has been money:
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8499094/2

That said, if I had it to do over, I'd give Sportsmatch Rings a hard look. They have the recoil lug and I really like the idea of fewer components in the assembly. Also, you're likely to be lower to the bore. You have rings already, so get the MT Rail.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964488 11/30/23 01:49 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I've got Mountain Tactical on mine. Zero complaints. I have a few of their accessories, they're all top notch.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964500 11/30/23 02:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I've got EGW rails on three different rifles, including one Tikka. They're not going to move if you torque them properly. IMO the pin isn't worth the price difference.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8964504 11/30/23 02:13 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I've got EGW rails on three different rifles, including one Tikka. They're not going to move if you torque them properly. IMO the pin isn't worth the price difference.

Whats the price difference?

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8964615 11/30/23 04:19 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I think the EGW rails are $50-60, the MTN are $80.

EDIT:
Price check: The heavy duty EGW is $62.99 at Midway https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2160673117?pid=364476
MTN is $79.99 on their own site.

The EGW is 7.5" long, the MTN is 8", so the product is nearly identical outside the pin. And the regular EGW rail (Those are the ones I'm running) are only $35.99
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018662029?pid=236342

Last edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks; 11/30/23 04:24 PM.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8964625 11/30/23 04:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I think the EGW rails are $50-60, the MTN are $80.

EDIT:
Price check: The heavy duty EGW is $62.99 at Midway https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2160673117?pid=364476
MTN is $79.99 on their own site.

The EGW is 7.5" long, the MTN is 8", so the product is nearly identical outside the pin. And the regular EGW rail (Those are the ones I'm running) are only $35.99
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018662029?pid=236342

$27.00, less than a box of ammo. The juice is worth the squeeze IMO.

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964635 11/30/23 04:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TXBoss
Have a second T3x need to rig up and was looking at some of the rail options.

Previous was an EGW rail, but looking at some of the Mountain Tactical Extended rails now and wonder if there is a better mousetrap.

The MT rails seem to have the locating pin / lug feature that I don't remember seeing on the EGW. Could be wrong.

Open to suggestions on this.

Rifle finish is the brown cerakote but don't think I'll find a rail in that right now.

MTN tac rail has been solid and the pin is a huge piece of mind for me but i havent used EGW’s

the new Unknown Munitions direct mounts rings are the only option for Direct in my opinion

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964647 11/30/23 04:56 PM
W
wp75169 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I’ve used EGW with no issues. With that said I am 100% for buying the best product I can afford at the time of purchase. A really expensive rail is not even a blip compared to good rings and scope. Admittedly I may be an exception with this thinking because I don’t maintain a bunch of rifles at the same time. Kinda like Buzz but with a longer attention span.

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: wp75169] #8964667 11/30/23 05:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by wp75169
I’ve used EGW with no issues. With that said I am 100% for buying the best product I can afford at the time of purchase. A really expensive rail is not even a blip compared to good rings and scope. Admittedly I may be an exception with this thinking because I don’t maintain a bunch of rifles at the same time. Kinda like Buzz but with a longer attention span.

For me, the rifle was $1,000.00, scope a little more than that, rings like $65.00.

I'm not going to blink at .01% (the $27.00 difference) more for a better rail. To me, it's the most important piece in the assembly. Rifle, scope and rings can be great. Using something not on the same quality scale to anchor it all together isn't something I'd do.

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8964690 11/30/23 05:41 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
See page 2 of this thread, I went with the Mountain Tactical Rail and it has been money:

That said, if I had it to do over, I'd give Sportsmatch Rings a hard look. They have the recoil lug and I really like the idea of fewer components in the assembly. Also, you're likely to be lower to the bore. You have rings already, so get the MT Rail.

There is nothing weak about picatinny rails screwed down to actions. And no need for "fewer components". Really good rings going to a really good pic rail is extremely repeatable. In the last week, I've taken scope/rings off four rifles, each time as one unit. Checked the torque on the pic rail screws, put the scope and rings back on the pic rail of the rifle, and then fired a shot at 100 yard paper. The rifle/ammo/scope zero did not move at all.

Scope lower to the bore is an old wive's tale. Great grandad said we have to do it, then grandad said we have to do it, then dad said we have to do it. Until, it was tested, and we found out it was unnecessary. Put the scope at a height that makes the eye look through it comfortably.

EGW has served me well on a long list of rifles that I own, and I've installed them on lots of other people's rifles. None of us have a single complaint. If Mountain Tactical is also building good pic rails, then great for us as consumers!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: J.G.] #8964717 11/30/23 06:09 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by J.G.

There is nothing weak about picatinny rails screwed down to actions. And no need for "fewer components". Really good rings going to a really good pic rail is extremely repeatable. In the last week, I've taken scope/rings off four rifles, each time as one unit. Checked the torque on the pic rail screws, put the scope and rings back on the pic rail of the rifle, and then fired a shot at 100 yard paper. The rifle/ammo/scope zero did not move at all.

Scope lower to the bore is an old wive's tale. Great grandad said we have to do it, then grandad said we have to do it, then dad said we have to do it. Until, it was tested, and we found out it was unnecessary. Put the scope at a height that makes the eye look through it comfortably.

EGW has served me well on a long list of rifles that I own, and I've installed them on lots of other people's rifles. None of us have a single complaint. If Mountain Tactical is also building good pic rails, then great for us as consumers!

Who said they were weak, not me? I'm just saying that the recoil lug on the MT makes it a better choice.

Fewer components to any assembly that will achieve the same results is always a bonus, as you reduce the stack up of tolerancing that each machined component has. Myself, I like a rail, but do like the obvious advantage of fewer components when it's an option.

As for the scope being lower to the bore, for me it is has always been easier to get a good cheek weld when lower to the bore and also easier to get the fit correct on the Triad Tactical Cheek Riser Stock Pack that we'll likely be recommending a few pages from now.

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8964752 11/30/23 06:50 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The only slack you speak of is maybe room inside the notches inside the pic rail. If there is room there, slide the rings forward and torque them down. Nothing will move X, Y, Z after that. Lots of guys I shoot with, and myself included, have a bad habit of picking up a rifle that is on a bipod on the ground by using the scope as a handle. We shouldn't do it, but nothing loses its' zero either.

The pic rail also gives everyone the beefit of ring spacing and eye relief adjustability. Having helped so many different eye balls get comfortable eye relief. I've seen lots of variation on where scopes need to be set from one person to the next. Scope tube length is also a big variable, the pic rail can adapt to with no problem.

Only good comes from pic rail usage. wink

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: J.G.] #8964761 11/30/23 06:59 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
The only slack you speak of is maybe room inside the notches inside the pic rail. If there is room there, slide the rings forward and torque them down. Nothing will move X, Y, Z after that. Lots of guys I shoot with, and myself included, have a bad habit of picking up a rifle that is on a bipod on the ground by using the scope as a handle. We shouldn't do it, but nothing loses its' zero either.

The pic rail also gives everyone the beefit of ring spacing and eye relief adjustability. Having helped so many different eye balls get comfortable eye relief. I've seen lots of variation on where scopes need to be set from one person to the next. Scope tube length is also a big variable, the pic rail can adapt to with no problem.

When did I say this? I didn't mention "slack".

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964770 11/30/23 07:11 PM
TXBoss Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Found a Mountain Tactical Ext 20 MOA on sale. Will give that a go.

Appreciate the feedback.

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8964856 11/30/23 09:21 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Pardon me, "stack up of tolerances".

Whatever you want to call it, it is not a problem that actually exists pertaining to action, pic rail, rings.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: J.G.] #8964869 11/30/23 09:40 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Pardon me, "stack up of tolerances".

Whatever you want to call it, it is not a problem that actually exists pertaining to action, pic rail, rings.

That is not slack inside the notches on the rail at all. I have no idea where you came up with that. The stack up of tolerances of the components to any assembly refers to the individual tolerances of each machined piece and their total. Tolerance is the allowable deviation of the dimensions on each piece. The more pieces you have, the larger the total tolerance. Sports match rings have a tolerance. A rail has tolerances, and the rings that go on the rail have a tolerance. The rail, used with rings is two tolerances, the rings one. For you to say that it is not a problem that actually exists means you have seen the manufacturing drawings of all components, know the tolerances and the AQL of each manufacturer. If you don't have this information, you're making an assumption and stating your opinion.

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8964879 11/30/23 09:47 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
late to the party as usual. I went with the Nightforce 20 MOA rail. I did like the MT with the "recoil" pin but since I was scoping a mighty .223, I figured just pushing rings forward in the slots and torquing correctly I'd be fine.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8964898 11/30/23 10:38 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted by onlysmit&wesson
That is not slack inside the notches on the rail at all. I have no idea where you came up with that. The stack up of tolerances of the components to any assembly refers to the individual tolerances of each machined piece and their total. Tolerance is the allowable deviation of the dimensions on each piece. The more pieces you have, the larger the total tolerance. Sports match rings have a tolerance. A rail has tolerances, and the rings that go on the rail have a tolerance. The rail, used with rings is two tolerances, the rings one. For you to say that it is not a problem that actually exists means you have seen the manufacturing drawings of all components, know the tolerances and the AQL of each manufacturer. If you don't have this information, you're making an assumption and stating your opinion.

I completely understand what all that means. In the end, there can be a gap between ring cross bolt and the notch in the pic rail. I've seen it. I mount and dismount scopes on a weekly basis. In the even the rings can more fore and aft, move them forward and clamp them down. I am not making any assumptions.

I have been working in one thousandths for fifteen years. And this year moved into one ten thousandths.

I don't care about drawings. I can measure the end product myself. And have seen those tolerances get too large, first hand.

You must be like that "engineer" that designed a steel building and screwed up so many aspects of it because he has never actually built a steel building. The CAD world and the real world are not the same thing.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: Buzzsaw] #8964935 11/30/23 11:38 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
late to the party as usual. I went with the Nightforce 20 MOA rail. I did like the MT with the "recoil" pin but since I was scoping a mighty .223, I figured just pushing rings forward in the slots and torquing correctly I'd be fine.

You will be.

It went just fine this week on 6.5 PRC, .375 H&H, 7 Rem Mag and .300 Norma Mag.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: J.G.] #8964944 11/30/23 11:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I completely understand what all that means. In the end, there can be a gap between ring cross bolt and the notch in the pic rail. I've seen it. I mount and dismount scopes on a weekly basis. In the even the rings can more fore and aft, move them forward and clamp them down. I am not making any assumptions.

I have been working in one thousandths for fifteen years. And this year moved into one ten thousandths.

I don't care about drawings. I can measure the end product myself. And have seen those tolerances get too large, first hand.

You must be like that "engineer" that designed a steel building and screwed up so many aspects of it because he has never actually built a steel building. The CAD world and the real world are not the same thing.

You just revealed that you don’t understand it all. Measuring the part will not tell you the tolerance. That’s called out on the drawing. Let’s not get personal and keep it on topic. You must be like the guy that has an old lathe in his shop and wants to pretend to be a machinist.

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: TXBoss] #8965062 12/01/23 02:43 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
EGW is probably the best budget buy that works. I like the Mt’s on my tikkas

Re: Tikka T3x Rail Options [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8965197 12/01/23 01:24 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

You just revealed that you don’t understand it all. Measuring the part will not tell you the tolerance. That’s called out on the drawing. Let’s not get personal and keep it on topic. You must be like the guy that has an old lathe in his shop and wants to pretend to be a machinist.

I've read plenty of drawings. Measuring the parts will tell you. At least if they are in tolerance.

Yes I have an old lathe, mill and drill press. And I also have a new lathe that arrived in July. But I do not call myself a machinist.

Back on topic. The problems you think you are correcting by getting rid of the pic rail are not problems that exist. The stacking of tolerances does not produce moving scopes that lose their zero. The one piece, direct screw to action rings generate more problems and no real benefits.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide