Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8725486 11/03/22 02:53 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
That is some of the best proof I have seen, Hudbone!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: black panther ? [Re: Hudbone] #8725574 11/03/22 04:45 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
For all you skeptics out here, please see proof positive of the existence of back panthers. Both deer have alerted to it.

[Linked Image]

Yep.

Definitely see it now. wink

Black as it can be.

Deer picked it off though. roflmao

[Linked Image]

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8727974 11/07/22 01:09 AM
drycreek3189 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I have a black panther that lives on my back porch. I feed him Meow Mix so he won’t kill my dogs. [Linked Image]

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8727980 11/07/22 01:14 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^^That's one cool cat.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: black panther ? [Re: Creekrunner] #8728212 11/07/22 01:44 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
^^^That's one cool cat.

Agreed......! up

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8729636 11/09/22 12:00 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There was a black cat that lived next door when I was in college. Next door was all jazzers, most of them in the North Texas 1 o'clock Lab Band (many went on to pro careers). They named him Miles. The thing was, if he was in the middle of the street and a car came up and slowed, he'd turn and look at the car exactly like Miles would look at the audience...with contempt and disdain. 'Course, that cat was probably so high all the time he could hunt ducks with a rake. roflmao

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: black panther ? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8742279 11/25/22 07:40 PM
S
SemperFiHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Oh, it's easy to tell if that was a black panther. Did it cross it's arms and shout "WAKANDA FOREVER" ??

It doesn’t appear to be doing that in the OP’s pic, but if you squint thru the shadows it looks like it’s wearing a T-shirt that says: “By any means necessary…!”

chicken

SFH

Re: black panther ? [Re: Creekrunner] #8742378 11/25/22 11:33 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Course, that cat was probably so high all the time he could hunt ducks with a rake. roflmao

rofl

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8742554 11/26/22 05:12 AM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Mud can turn about anything black. Cougar are not afraid of water and therefore may like a mud bath now and again.

Don't know if that explains any claims of black Cougar sighting but I think it possible.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8754999 12/11/22 01:42 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by vanguard
pic taken by girlfriends sister inlaw in arizona while out on a hike
[Linked Image]

Jaguarundi, no doubt.

[b][/b]
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8755252 12/11/22 03:25 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I have plenty of doubt in that idea.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8755282 12/11/22 04:02 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Looks kind of tall for jagurandi

Re: black panther ? [Re: DQ Kid] #8755376 12/11/22 07:01 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Looks kind of tall for jagurandi

Mountain Lion......just on the shadow side of sun, just like the cactus behind it.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8756621 12/13/22 03:39 AM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Was on my Texas Panhandle facebook page today.

BLACK PANTHERS SPOTTED ON THE TEXAS PANHANDLE
About three years ago I was pulling my backhoe, following Plumbing Contractor Terry and Charlotte Shoffner out to the jobsite to install a new septic system and to clean out a large cattle guard. We went through Tell headed to a ranch South of Turkey.
A large black Puma/Cougar ran across the road in front of them. When we got to the ranch it was mentioned to the Rancher. He said several other people had seen it and they had lost several calfs in that area. Didn't think it was unusual as I had seen a cougar out at the CeeVee farming community while hunting back in the late 60s and seen many tracks through the years out on the Jones property, now the Whilhite property, South of Childress. Also one crossed 287 in front of me about 2 miles North of Childress about where the Drive In theater used to be in the late 90s.
The reason I'm bringing this up is I just watched a documentary stating there are no black cats in the State of Texas or any area North of the Mexican border, actually North of Central America. They had the State Biologist of Texas and Oklahoma both making this statement. They claimed if you thought it was black was because it was seen at night and you just thought it was black.
The sighting I previously mentioned South of Turkey was at around 8:15 on a bright, clear, sparkling morning.
The documentary stated the chances of a black cougar , melanistic, is about one in a million and anyone claiming to see a black cat is just mistaken. Also stated all Jaguars had been killed out in the U.S. by the 1880s.

Re: black panther ? [Re: Lotto] #8756672 12/13/22 06:47 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Lotto
Was on my Texas Panhandle facebook page today.

BLACK PANTHERS SPOTTED ON THE TEXAS PANHANDLE
About three years ago I was pulling my backhoe, following Plumbing Contractor Terry and Charlotte Shoffner out to the jobsite to install a new septic system and to clean out a large cattle guard. We went through Tell headed to a ranch South of Turkey.
A large black Puma/Cougar ran across the road in front of them. When we got to the ranch it was mentioned to the Rancher. He said several other people had seen it and they had lost several calfs in that area. Didn't think it was unusual as I had seen a cougar out at the CeeVee farming community while hunting back in the late 60s and seen many tracks through the years out on the Jones property, now the Whilhite property, South of Childress. Also one crossed 287 in front of me about 2 miles North of Childress about where the Drive In theater used to be in the late 90s.
The reason I'm bringing this up is I just watched a documentary stating there are no black cats in the State of Texas or any area North of the Mexican border, actually North of Central America. They had the State Biologist of Texas and Oklahoma both making this statement. They claimed if you thought it was black was because it was seen at night and you just thought it was black.
The sighting I previously mentioned South of Turkey was at around 8:15 on a bright, clear, sparkling morning.
The documentary stated the chances of a black cougar , melanistic, is about one in a million and anyone claiming to see a black cat is just mistaken. Also stated all Jaguars had been killed out in the U.S. by the 1880s.

Not again.............. frown

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1304504/all/Black_Panther

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8756721 12/13/22 12:35 PM
S
SFRanger7GP Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Black panther is a misnomer for a black jaguar, black ocelot or the smaller jaguarundi. Having worked and hunted in remote areas of Central and South America for many years, I have seen much of the wildlife that seems to be quite abundant in Texas according to reports. I have seen pumas, jaguars, ocelots and jaguarundi in one or more of the following countries: Panama, Colombia, Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina and Brasil. The "black panther" at the old Fort Sherman Zoo in Panama looked almost identical to the puma in the cage next to it. However, it was in fact a small female jaguar (proven by tests). The only other "black panther" I ever saw was also in Panama. It came to check out the salt lick where I was bow hunting for javelina or brocket deer. It was definitely a large black ocelot or a small black jaguar like the one in the zoo. The Kuna Indian with me agreed.

But I do enjoy hearing all the reports of sightings here in our great state.

Safe hunting and Happy Christmas

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8757445 12/14/22 01:49 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I guess black panther could be a misnomer for some, such as mountain lions (also a misnomer as they aren't lions) and ocelots, but not for jaguars (Panthera onca). Black panther for New World jaguars is actually an alternative common name for those that are particularly dark. It also seems to be incorrect applied to the likes of margay and ocelot as well, but these are in a different sub family from jaguars and leopards (Felinae vs. Pantherinae). Of course, they are not to be confused with the black panthers of Africa (such as Panthera pardis) or mythical melanistic mountain lions of North and Central America (at discussion here). Part of the reason for the Linnean binomial nomenclature system was to specifically nail down individual animal types to a particular species name. This made possible the separation of multiples of animals called the same common name that seems to cause so much confusion (e.g., black panthers). On the other hand, the system also helped work out when multiples of common names were applied to a particular animal, such as with our mountain lion. Just look at the list of common names for mountain lions...

cougar
puma
mountain lion
panther (not actually a panther either, LOL)
catamount
mountain screamer
mountain cat
painter

And about 34 other common names all for the same exact species.

And don't forget that when you say "black panther" is a misnomer, countless people claimed to have seen black mountain lions (Puma concolor). The issue isn't with the name so much as the eyes. They aren't seeing Panthera oncas and they aren't seeing jaguarundis. If they are, there are many thousand of them running around Texas that people keep seeing, but nobody seems to be able to ever actually kill one, not even on the highway. Lots of hunters see them in Texas, but none ever kill them. Mone are ever shown to wardens or scientists, nor are any ever photographed uniquivocally. People who have claimed to have killed them always have done so under mysterious circumstances that explain away how it is that they don't have pictures, body parts, or a completely body. This always amazes me, like claims of kills of Bigfoot, somebody could claim to be the first, to have the first known specimen, and yet it gets left in the woods for some reason.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8761497 12/19/22 04:16 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
DNS,

within the last couple of years, I had a ranch contact me to turn over two dead jaguarundis that a ranch hand killed thinking they were young mountain lions. The ranch tried to do the right thing understanding the importance and significance of jaguarundis. The USFWS supervisor for South Texas and retired head of law enforcement for USFWS tried to help work out an agreement to not prosecute the ranch hand. Tragically, the LEO running law enforcement for USFWS in the area would not agree. So the two carcasses were not turned over and the ranch hand returned to Mexico last I heard. I can share more examples of how politics drives TPWD and USFWS in Texas to not protect these cats or ocelots either. A refuge manager for one of the South Texas refuges reported seeing a jaguarundi on his refuge and he wanted to put out game cameras. He was given a strong re-education speech that he did not see a jaguarundi and they were not to put out any cameras. Those are just two fairly recent examples and there are more.

Politics has thoroughly infested wildlife protection and research just as it has medicine, law, and so many other areas.

Re: black panther ? [Re: jeffbird] #8761516 12/19/22 05:06 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jeffbird
DNS,

within the last couple of years, I had a ranch contact me to turn over two dead jaguarundis that a ranch hand killed thinking they were young mountain lions. The ranch tried to do the right thing understanding the importance and significance of jaguarundis. The USFWS supervisor for South Texas and retired head of law enforcement for USFWS tried to help work out an agreement to not prosecute the ranch hand. Tragically, the LEO running law enforcement for USFWS in the area would not agree. So the two carcasses were not turned over and the ranch hand returned to Mexico last I heard. I can share more examples of how politics drives TPWD and USFWS in Texas to not protect these cats or ocelots either. A refuge manager for one of the South Texas refuges reported seeing a jaguarundi on his refuge and he wanted to put out game cameras. He was given a strong re-education speech that he did not see a jaguarundi and they were not to put out any cameras. Those are just two fairly recent examples and there are more.

Politics has thoroughly infested wildlife protection and research just as it has medicine, law, and so many other areas.

The success of the ESA act is both glorious and sad at same time. It’s become profit center for many eco-terrorist lawyers. Sad because it’s done some great things

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8761523 12/19/22 05:40 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Bobo,

I am friends with a man that was a Whitehouse staff lawyer for Richard Nixon who helped write the ESA. We talk sometimes about how it has turned into a massive industry of consultants that burn massive amounts of money with only slivers of the funding going to actually protect wildlife.

It is hard for the younger folks to realize, the Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, and Clean Air Act are relatively recent laws that made huge leaps forward in improving where we and wildlife live. All three were signed into law by Richard Nixon, which is not that long ago.

Personally, just my two cents, we need to start looking at new models for wildlife that will keep the common wildlife common, rather than waiting until they are on the brink of extinction.

The single biggest crisis facing wildlife in this state right now is the rapidly diminishing quantity and quality of water that is safe for them to drink or live in. That same crisis also is looming for people in this state, yet no politician will dare say there is no more room for more people and businesses to move here.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8781428 01/16/23 11:51 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Guest and myself were driving way back in the pasture in broad daylight when we both thought we saw a bobcat cross the sendero about 25-30 yards in front of us. We weren't drinking. Done said, "Look a bobcat!", only there was a noticeable pause between a and bobcat. We stopped briefly with both of us trying to process what we just saw.

Whatever we saw, it was definitely feline. No doubt there (zero). It was about the same height as a large bobcat, but the body was about one and a half times as long, larger and deeper (ie: belly closer to the ground). It did not have the powerful shoulders of a lion nor did it walk like a bobcat. It was longer and still a slender creature. The colorings were somewhat of a greyish brown with the brown being more dominant. The tail did not curl and was somewhat akin to a broom stick. On the proceeding me and Done are in mutual agreement. Where we disagreed on was the length of the tail. I believed it to be 12 - 14 inches with some thinking it was closer to two feet.

Came back to camp where another hunter claimed to to have had a brief glimpse of the same animal a week prior two miles east of that spot, but was "afraid" to bring it up. No idea here - totally clueless (as usual). Yes, we googled jaguarundi and do believe there are similarities there, but each of us are not willing to make that assertion.

Re: black panther ? [Re: jeffbird] #8781526 01/16/23 03:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jeffbird
DNS,

Not sure why you wanted to inform me of this, but okay...

Politics has thoroughly infested any endeavor that involves the government spending money on it. Strange how people don't realize it until they find something they don't like about it, LOL. Politics has been involved in every public park that has been established or wild animal species that isn't or is not afforded protection by the government. This is a given at this point in history, not a revelation.

So what you are telling me is that the government isn't protecting cats. Okay.

Apparently, they do.
https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/l...y-killing-mountain-lion-p-38/3857687002/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9296830/hunters-mountain-lion-wyoming-yellowstone/

Politics, LOL
https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/ne...pitol-riot-hunting-mountain-lion-arrest/

Again, I am not sure what this has to do with black panthers

Personally, just my two cents, we need to start looking at new models for wildlife that will keep the common wildlife common, rather than waiting until they are on the brink of extinction.

So bring back the grizzlies and wolves! I am right there with you! We also really need to re-establish the native range of alligators while we are at it. Definitely need to see more black bears. More elk would be nice as well.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8781602 01/16/23 04:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Well we went from decent conversation on jaguarundi’s and the need for ESA changes to California ballot biology and non/ threatened Mountain lions and hunting in National parks.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8782647 01/17/23 11:57 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If you get the chance to go thru Bearizona in Williams AZ, they have a couple beautiful jaguars there. One normal one, and the other is almost pure black. Up close, you can just barely make out the rosettes, but they are still there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8793025 02/01/23 04:04 PM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Believe this or not but my crew spotted a black panther by the Melissa landfill, Then a year later we saw a big long tail cat about 5 miles east of there towards Blue Ridge.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide