Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8640701 07/14/22 05:19 AM
F
fredgus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
i dont think you really want to know how the first rabbit distress tapes were made

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: fredgus] #8640780 07/14/22 01:27 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by fredgus
i dont think you really want to know how the first rabbit distress tapes were made

You mean robots didn’t create those sounds? roflmao

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: flintknapper] #8640795 07/14/22 01:41 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by BigPig

It’s a saying “I’m going to go drown some minnows.” Lighten up a little

So......you are equating 'fishing' with hooking a rabbit through the thigh with a large saltwater hook in order to deliberately cause it stress and pain, so it will thrash around and scream in order to present the most 'authentic' call to lure a Coyote? Is that pretty much it?

Hell of an idea.

Don't hunters already get enough heat from PETA freaks and Tree Huggers that we don't need this kind of thing posted on the internet.

[Linked Image]

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: fredgus] #8640810 07/14/22 02:24 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

If you have documentation.....please provide it. But lets suppose or agree that the 'first' tapes were actual recordings of distressed rabbits (and they probably were) was it any less barbaric then? Or just more acceptable.

Surely, it is a good thing that we have progressed past the practices of 50 years ago.

So let me ask you pointedly: Do you support and condone the idea (today) of taking a large hook, hooking a live rabbit to it (tethered) and trying to attract coyotes with it? Would you do that too?

IF you have no problem with that, stand up and go on record.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: flintknapper] #8640856 07/14/22 03:26 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

If you have documentation.....please provide it. But lets suppose or agree that the 'first' tapes were actual recordings of distressed rabbits (and they probably were) was it any less barbaric then? Or just more acceptable.

Surely, it is a good thing that we have progressed past the practices of 50 years ago.

So let me ask you pointedly: Do you support and condone the idea (today) of taking a large hook, hooking a live rabbit to it (tethered) and trying to attract coyotes with it? Would you do that too?

To protect a man’s livelihood, I have absolutely no problem with it. Sounds like it would be highly effective. We are all in the food chain. Frankly, I enjoy being at the upper end of it.

I think squeamish hairy backed Mary’s do more damage to our hunting rights than an impaled staked down bunny. Those folks always cave under pressure… IMO.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8640875 07/14/22 03:53 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
On the locking cams, etc. Years ago snares were lethal and if a dog or goat, etc. walked into one it could choke to death trying to get away. What I was trying to same- for those that aren't up to date with modern snares, these cams relax back- if that makes sense. Once the animal stops yanking the snare opens up enough for the critter to breathe- so you can release a dog or goat unharmed. Hope I explained that correctly.
Also, snares are pretty cheap, Another plus.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: flintknapper] #8640967 07/14/22 06:15 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

dead_horse
Lighten up Francis

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: Dave Scott] #8640968 07/14/22 06:19 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
On the locking cams, etc. Years ago snares were lethal and if a dog or goat, etc. walked into one it could choke to death trying to get away. What I was trying to same- for those that aren't up to date with modern snares, these cams relax back- if that makes sense. Once the animal stops yanking the snare opens up enough for the critter to breathe- so you can release a dog or goat unharmed. Hope I explained that correctly.
Also, snares are pretty cheap, Another plus.

Correct. But important to match the snare (and lock) to the intended target. I've seen 'relaxing' type snares pulled so hard that the washer or berkshire releasing/relaxing devices end up being locking type.

Snares for coyote/bobcat are inexpensive and even more so if you make your own. Which is good because often they end being a one time use item.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8641546 07/15/22 05:58 PM
E
ELKMTB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
What about donkeys?

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8641972 07/16/22 09:36 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Propane cannons are commonly used to scare off unwanted wildlife and my experience has been they work quite well. I first learned of them from people in East Texas who used them to keep deer and other critters out of their watermelon fields. And because of their wariness to human activity, I’ve read they work quite well on coyotes. Not sure if your sheep and goats would get used to one but I know cattle will soon pay them no attention. They may also allow for lesser charges in order to lessen the noise level for neighbors.

Propane Cannon

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/16/22 09:39 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: Texas Dan] #8642502 07/17/22 03:33 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Propane cannons are commonly used to scare off unwanted wildlife and my experience has been they work quite well. I first learned of them from people in East Texas who used them to keep deer and other critters out of their watermelon fields. And because of their wariness to human activity, I’ve read they work quite well on coyotes. Not sure if your sheep and goats would get used to one but I know cattle will soon pay them no attention. They may also allow for lesser charges in order to lessen the noise level for neighbors.

Propane Cannon

Deer and hogs quickly acclimate to them as well. But I can tell you from experience.....having to listen to a Propane Cannon go off all hours of the night is most aggravating. Coyotes respond to hunting pressure quickly. They will either learn to go around your property or become more wary and only show up in the wee hours of the night.

Snares have always been the most effective solution for me. I live on my property and have snares out for Feral Hogs anyway....so its a viable solution for me. It might not be for others though.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8644314 07/19/22 04:50 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Well, it looks like the hook through the rabbit leg isn't very popular. My question, does the yote actually get the hook in its mouth? It seems the yote would just eat around the hook and get away. I know in Africa on some lion hunts they put out a live goat but just tied to a stump, etc.- no hooks.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: Dave Scott] #8644928 07/20/22 01:10 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Well, it looks like the hook through the rabbit leg isn't very popular. My question, does the yote actually get the hook in its mouth? It seems the yote would just eat around the hook and get away. I know in Africa on some lion hunts they put out a live goat but just tied to a stump, etc.- no hooks.

Not if you shoot the 'yote first.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8645822 07/21/22 03:10 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Well, all things considered, maybe the best way to protect sheep and goats is a couple of good dogs- plus you get the fun of having the dogs.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8645869 07/21/22 04:03 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
My father-in-law had a couple of llama's on his place for coyote's. Don't know how effective they were but he never mentioned having problems after got them.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: flintknapper] #8646467 07/22/22 01:43 PM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

If you dont think live animals are not still being used to create new sounds for ecalls in 2022 and into the future your wrong. I assure you we have not progressed past the practices of 50 years ago. We have progressed with better technology to record the sounds though.

Last edited by Ronnie Oneal; 07/22/22 01:45 PM.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #8646673 07/22/22 07:06 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Ronnie Oneal

If you dont think live animals are not still being used to create new sounds for ecalls in 2022 and into the future your wrong. I assure you we have not progressed past the practices of 50 years ago. We have progressed with better technology to record the sounds though.

Then show me documentation and while we are at it Mr. Oneal, are you on board with hooking a live rabbit and staking it down to attract coyotes, please answer. I'd love to see you 'air' that on one of your shows.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: flintknapper] #8646734 07/22/22 08:27 PM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Then show me documentation and while we are at it Mr. Oneal, are you on board with hooking a live rabbit and staking it down to attract coyotes, please answer. I'd love to see you 'air' that on one of your shows.

If you can find a show that we have aired showing a live rabbit staked out to attract predators then you will find your answer. Why are you so stuck on documentation? What kind of documents are you looking for? Guys all over the place create their own sounds. How do you believe these sounds are created? Im not saying EVERY sound is created by a live animal but for you to make the statement it dont happen is not true. I have 0 documentation and im not setting out to argue with you because honestly I could careless what you believe or dont believe. If you have hard facts thats live animals are not used then lets see your documentation. I would like to see it for every single person that has created sounds in the last 50 years.

Last edited by Ronnie Oneal; 07/22/22 08:29 PM.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #8646849 07/22/22 11:52 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ronnie Oneal wrote:
If you can find a show that we have aired showing a live rabbit staked out to attract predators then you will find your answer.

I am certain I can not and would hope not. But my question to you Sir (which you purposely avoided answering) was: Are you onboard with the proposed practice/idea of using a large hook to impale a rabbit and stake it down. It's a simple question. IF you have no qualms about it...say so in public. And if it is such a good and effective method then why not employ it and air it.

Why are you so stuck on documentation?

Because I can find little on the subject myself after a cursory search except claims by some manufacturers that the electronic calls they have are produced 100% from live animals. (to include distress calls from birds and rabbits). Is this some dirty little secret of the industry?

How do you believe these sounds are created?

Calls could conceivably be made (these days) digitally or recording of mouth calls. Live animals are another possibility.
With respect to LIVE animals......'distress calls' are my only concern IF they take place at the hands of a human.

Recording the cries of a rabbit caught by a hawk, fox, coyote intent on killing and consuming it is understandable and is a perfectly natural act of nature.

Conversely the wanton act of impaling a rabbit, crushing a foot...or whatever is done to the hapless creature to get it to emit a scream is 'animal cruelty' pure and simple. And we have laws against that.

So here is my challenge: Each and every person here that has no problem torturing a living creature for no other reason than to get it to scream....go on record here and proclaim it proudly.

I'd really like to better understand the mentality here.

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/22/22 11:58 PM.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: flintknapper] #8646901 07/23/22 12:58 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Ronnie Oneal wrote:
If you can find a show that we have aired showing a live rabbit staked out to attract predators then you will find your answer.

I am certain I can not and would hope not. But my question to you Sir (which you purposely avoided answering) was: Are you onboard with the proposed practice/idea of using a large hook to impale a rabbit and stake it down. It's a simple question. IF you have no qualms about it...say so in public. And if it is such a good and effective method then why not employ it and air it.

Because I can find little on the subject myself after a cursory search except claims by some manufacturers that the electronic calls they have are produced 100% from live animals. (to include distress calls from birds and rabbits). Is this some dirty little secret of the industry?

Calls could conceivably be made (these days) digitally or recording of mouth calls. Live animals are another possibility.
With respect to LIVE animals......'distress calls' are my only concern IF they take place at the hands of a human.

Recording the cries of a rabbit caught by a hawk, fox, coyote intent on killing and consuming it is understandable and is a perfectly natural act of nature.

Conversely the wanton act of impaling a rabbit, crushing a foot...or whatever is done to the hapless creature to get it to emit a scream is 'animal cruelty' pure and simple. And we have laws against that.

So here is my challenge: Each and every person here that has no problem torturing a living creature for no other reason than to get it to scream....go on record here and proclaim it proudly.

Ok ok ok...you got me LOL

You have a good day sir. Im not arguing with you.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8646958 07/23/22 01:56 AM
nebo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Boy!! The people on here that get butt hurt is amazing. Big Pigs post on the rabbit started a real stur. Glad I did not post about the sardines and treble hooks about 4 ft off the ground. We called them swinging traps but I would not want to cause some Karen's here to unravel. Grow up y'all and grow a pair.

Mayor of Nebo , Texas this week
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8647027 07/23/22 03:32 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Rock knocker has really got his pantie's in a wad on this one. We get it but your not changing it. Shut the hell up already lol. Jesus Christ

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: Bee'z] #8647046 07/23/22 04:00 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Rock knocker has really got his pantie's in a wad on this one. We get it but your not changing it. Shut the hell up already lol. Jesus Christ

Well that was certainly an intelligent well thought out rebuttal.

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/23/22 04:01 AM.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #8647048 07/23/22 04:08 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ronnie Oneal wrote:

Ok ok ok...you got me LOL

You have a good day sir. Im not arguing with you.

No less for you.

And not that it makes any difference but I watch and very much enjoy your productions. Spent untold hours in my youth varmint hunting and doing much the same thing, less anyone think I have a soft spot for predators or a gripe about any reasonable methods to hunt them. I've killed hundreds in my time and will continue to do so.

Re: Coyote Strategy [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8647591 07/23/22 11:45 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I have heard of staking a chicken out (tied by the leg) extra long small diameter rope, when you are set, yank the cord, chicken squawk's if there is any yotes in the area, they will come

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide