Forums46
Topics538,072
Posts9,732,637
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7177933 05/23/18 08:15 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Thank you, look forward to a good interesting read.

Yep, the source documents always seem to have more information of importance and interest. You're welcome.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7177935 05/23/18 08:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Define short time frame, 171 birds in a week, month, 5 months?? I may be wrong but I didn’t see where the article stated a time frame.

Why I hate pointed articles.

Stacking assumption on top of assumption on things not in the article or the study (at least from what we can see) doesn’t do anyone any favors either.

Assumptions about being “mainly house sparrows” or “invasive species” being dense at the bait sites or most of the birds being “itty-bitty” ones that die quickly so you will find them or the study probably not “moving the needle” re: environmental impacts, etc., etc., have come from you only.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeffbird] #7177942 05/23/18 08:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Thank you, look forward to a good interesting read.

Yep, the source documents always seem to have more information of importance and interest. You're welcome.

It’s the information that counts. If the said 171 birds observed after day two, then shut the study down until they figured a better delivery method, 171 over 3 months. That’s 4 birds per month per site. Huge difference

I’m really looking forward to the Canadian Macaque CWD study to be fully released but appears it’s going to be a while still.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7177954 05/23/18 08:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Define short time frame, 171 birds in a week, month, 5 months?? I may be wrong but I didn’t see where the article stated a time frame.

Why I hate pointed articles.

Stacking assumption on top of assumption on things not in the article or the study (at least from what we can see) doesn’t do anyone any favors either.

Assumptions about being “mainly house sparrows” or “invasive species” being dense at the bait sites or most of the birds being “itty-bitty” ones that die quickly so you will find them or the study probably not “moving the needle” re: environmental impacts, etc., etc., have come from you only.

Lol, so you are offended that I suggested arbitrary examples to show that article was doing the same thing...

I’m not surprised.

This pointed articled is no different then you or flounder on a CWD thread trying to use the Canadian Macaque article to say CWD can jump to humans from ingesting CWD whitetail meat. Another Study that hasn’t been released yet so pulling what essentially equals arbitrary info from it to support you hypothesis.

Go sue a tree or something, but don’t troll me

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7177967 05/23/18 08:46 PM
J
Jungleexplorer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

Don’t mess with Mother Nature Like introducing hogs... wonder who did that

Ahem! That would be some big hunting clubs down around Corpus.

I'm sorry for my sins Jesus, please forgive me.

https://sorryformysins.com/

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: Jungleexplorer] #7177973 05/23/18 08:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Jungleexplorer

I laughed when I read some states banned hog hunting to prevent the spread,

I’ll be damned if it isn’t working. Grant it they have a big pile of $$$ for government trapping and
Depredation programs. But non the less they aren’t jumping five counties away.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7177982 05/23/18 09:11 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

I’ll be damned if it isn’t working. Grant it they have a big pile of $$$ for government trapping and

feral pigs have been around since the time of the early European settlers.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

Early Spanish explorers probably were the first to introduce hogs in Texas over 300 years ago. As colonization increased, hog numbers subsequently increased. They provided an important source of cured meat and lard for settlers.

During the fight for Texas independence as people fled for safety into the United States or Mexico, many hogs escaped or were released. It was not until the mid 1800s when hostilities between the United States and Mexico ended that settlers once again began bringing livestock back into Texas. The livestock included hogs that ranged freely. Many escaped, contributing to the feral population.

In the 1930s, European wild hogs, "Russian boars," were first imported and introduced into Texas by ranchers and sportsmen for sport hunting. Most of these eventually escaped from game ranches and began free ranging and breeding with feral hogs. Because of this crossbreeding, there are very few, if any, true European hogs remaining in Texas.

Feral hogs are unprotected, exotic, non-game animals. Therefore, they may be taken by any means or methods at any time of year. There are no seasons or bag limits, however a hunting license and landowner permission are required to hunt them.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeffbird] #7178007 05/23/18 09:31 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Early Spanish explorers probably were the first to introduce hogs in Texas over 300 years ago. As colonization increased, hog numbers subsequently increased. They provided an important source of cured meat and lard for settlers.

During the fight for Texas independence as people fled for safety into the United States or Mexico, many hogs escaped or were released. It was not until the mid 1800s when hostilities between the United States and Mexico ended that settlers once again began bringing livestock back into Texas. The livestock included hogs that ranged freely. Many escaped, contributing to the feral population.

In the 1930s, European wild hogs, "Russian boars," were first imported and introduced into Texas by ranchers and sportsmen for sport hunting. Most of these eventually escaped from game ranches and began free ranging and breeding with feral hogs. Because of this crossbreeding, there are very few, if any, true European hogs remaining in Texas.

Feral hogs are unprotected, exotic, non-game animals. Therefore, they may be taken by any means or methods at any time of year. There are no seasons or bag limits, however a hunting license and landowner permission are required to hunt them.

Missouri banned the hunting of Hogs on public land to try to curve the spread of hogs via release for hunting purposes(which why else would someone release them), so far thier efforts are working to contain the spread of hogs. NY banned it in its entirety, KS no sport hunting(only landowner), Minnesota it’s banned, Nevada it’s banned, ND banned, Utah it’s banned..

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7178325 05/24/18 05:07 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Wow. They said it was safe. They said there was no way for other animals to get into the feeders.

bang bang bang

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7178432 05/24/18 12:36 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
With a current population in excess of 1.5 million feral hogs that covers most of Texas, I’m pretty sure the horse has long ago left the barn on the “banning hunting to prevent more from being released” strategy here.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7178550 05/24/18 02:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
With a current population in excess of 1.5 million feral hogs that covers most of Texas, I’m pretty sure the horse has long ago left the barn on the “banning hunting to prevent more from being released” strategy here.

Where did I infer that? Point it out! Obviously you are only here to troll and not read.

thankfully some states have taken note about our failures with controlling the dispersal of feral Hogs. The still have the ability to stop the oops populations.

TAHC should of never approved the release even of barrows or transportation. Our biggest down fall has been private citizen releases across the Texas. It has escalated the expansion 5x fold.

Oklahoma is another perfect example of a failed plan to control hog dispersal via back of a truck. PH farms had what equates to as hundreds getting out of thier “hunting” area. Everyone of those hogs where trucked in and released. Now that population is moving in to KS.

I’m sure the hogs in the Lincoln National forest in NM flew there from outer space.

I’m sure these Hampshire pigs just migrated from STX into the hill country.......and stayed so pure....

I can tell you exactly where most the hogs around the city of Mason came from, I remember when they “got out” of a set of pens in late 80’s.

Only one way to stop the release of hogs.... take the incentive of hunting away

Oh and you map is wrong. There are hogs around and within 10 miles of DFW airport, and I hit one last Jan between plains and brownfield.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7178586 05/24/18 02:46 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Bobo.... Really. That would open up a can of worms. Deer population out of control? No hunting. Where did all these exotics come from? Oops no hunting.

I could go for no transporting and releasing. But no hunting? No

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7178593 05/24/18 02:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yes, it’s a silly proposition totally without logical basis here in TX. We are already “in the soup” and they breed like rabbits - literally.

If you think it’s a problem that might slow population growth in certain areas, ban the transport/release of hogs while maintaining all other current methods of eradication (including hunting). nidea

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: ducknbass] #7178595 05/24/18 02:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Bobo.... Really. That would open up a can of worms. Deer population out of control? No hunting. Where did all these exotics come from? Oops no hunting.

I could go for no transporting and releasing. But no hunting? No

It only works if you have limited numbers like MO or KS, by taking the incentive away they don’t randomly turn up in other areas. Obviously Texas is well past transportation or release restrictions since they are in every county now. If we had implemented a KS type policy in the 80’s, things would most likely be very different

Also You're comparing two different things. No deer/ungulate has 3 litters and up to 40 piglets year. You can actually control deer populations with tags/rifle. Doesn’t work with pigs well. But if you couldn’t hunt exotics would we have them in current numbers?

Hog occupying every county in Texas did not come from natural dispersal from the 1800’s and coastal Spaniards.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7178605 05/24/18 03:06 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I agree with everything you said. But advocating no hunting for them in Texas as a way to control them is not a good argument. I'd still say no transporting and releasing could would help in some areas. But as you said the cat is out of the bag.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: ducknbass] #7178612 05/24/18 03:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
I agree with everything you said. But advocating no hunting for them in Texas as a way to control them is not a good argument. I'd still say no transporting and releasing could would help in some areas. But as you said the cat is out of the bag.

Im not advocating that, especially in TX. That’s NP inferring/making up crap again

MO is spending a lot of money to reduce current populations but according to them it’s working. In theory, You see hogs, you call they come trap entire sounder instead of the one or two offs you get with a rifle.

I like the KS approach the best. Only landowners can shoot them. Still have the ability to eliminate them outside of government trapping and no incentive to release.

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7178728 05/24/18 04:54 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Missouri banned the hunting of Hogs on public land to try to curve the spread of hogs via release for hunting purposes(which why else would someone release them), so far thier efforts are working to contain the spread of hogs. NY banned it in its entirety, KS no sport hunting(only landowner), Minnesota it’s banned, Nevada it’s banned, ND banned, Utah it’s banned..

confused2 were bouts in Minnesota be them thar wild hogs roman ? Born & raised thar. Back then farmers had hogs, we usedta ride grandpas hogs as kids. If hogs, cattle or other livestock got loose, people Helped out getting them back. Now its hog farms. Aint heard of NO hog hunten here. bang while in texas hunted hogs (the other wild game) confused2 every one complaining bout the hogs, yet was all bout the bucks, just like with deer leases. Seen the games played, & was BLESSED when a WMA opened up just down the road. The county was buck only when moved in 83, couldnt get doe tag, not enough deer. So as pappy says:
took me bow in hand & took a stand on WMA . & even when it went ta 4 deer county, still mostly hunted WMA. Said it before.

Quote:
what once was price of poormans food stamps, has become a Rich mans Sport

bang my posts get me on most peoples ignorance list.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7179490 05/25/18 12:11 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Don't mess with mother nature. This is just to appease a few folks who complained the most to the ag comm. You going to bait the whole state... Lots of money made off of hogs as well. I can only see this effective in large crop areas but that is a ton of bait and maintenance constantly.

There is no effective solution at this time. Large crop areas are actually better suited for Aerial management practices. Gun/archery ground hunting is not effective that’s for sure.

I’d like to seen them completely removed from landscape,

The way they have to deliver the poison isn’t the answer, if you have to deliver it from a feeder then you can use a drop trap. Just a lazier way of doing it

I do want to see the studies run thier course. Findings will be interesting

I killed my first wild hog on red river in 1969. supposedly 90 head got loose about 1 year before.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: rex47] #7179721 05/25/18 03:18 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Don't mess with mother nature. This is just to appease a few folks who complained the most to the ag comm. You going to bait the whole state... Lots of money made off of hogs as well. I can only see this effective in large crop areas but that is a ton of bait and maintenance constantly.

popcorn my problem was the constant maintenance of the bahaya grass, mow it one day & watch it grow the next.
bang problem was: never could find any one who would pay me big bucks ta come cut it. had no problems with hogs, food for grillen & chillen.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: 1860.colt] #7179779 05/25/18 04:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by colt.45
Originally Posted by Txduckman

popcorn my problem was the constant maintenance of the bahaya grass, mow it one day & watch it grow the next.
bang problem was: never could find any one who would pay me big bucks ta come cut it. had no problems with hogs, food for grillen & chillen.
flag

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7179944 05/25/18 06:37 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
bang dang android. Needs update.

Your vid or pic not reponding NP.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: 1860.colt] #7179953 05/25/18 06:46 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: colt.45

flag

Here’s the non-video version:

smile

Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7180015 05/25/18 07:54 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45

flag

Here’s the non-video version:

smile

rofl
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7180863 05/27/18 12:29 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
seriously how could anyone really think a poison would not be congested by other animals. I am 110 % against poisoning these animals.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 05/27/18 12:29 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Bird deaths a setback in Texas feral hog poison testing [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7180983 05/27/18 03:48 AM
G
gollygee Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I remember warnings on the cartons of clay(skeet)targets several decades ago that read: WARNING: TOXIC TO HOGS. I understand that there is no warning on the new targets. Maybe the biologist could look into this.
300 WBY is very toxic too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide