Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: SachalATN] #6303195 05/19/16 12:38 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: SachalATN
still plenty more than here.

As a vendor of a product, I don't see why you'd ever want to argue on an internet forum, there's never a winner, only who posts last.

I'm a Gen 1 X-Sight user and it did take almost a year and a replacement before it was sound. I'm pretty happy with it now, dead-on accurate, really like the video. I don't think I would have been as patient now, as I was then. I have an ATN NVM14 and ATN OTS Thermal monocular, so no one can say I'm just looking to beat up on ATN.

I do agree, this Thor HD intro is really starting to mirror the X-Sight. I really don't get the rush to get something out that's not cooked and it's worse to say "everyone" has issues with new products. Simply not true.

Will be interesting to see how the next few months roll along. I think it has promise, particularly with the price point, just not there yet.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6303267 05/19/16 01:36 AM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
I went and pulled my chip from my Thor and I only had 1 or 2 jpg that I had tried out the picture ability. this was taken about 11:30 at night @ 100yards when I was trying to zero the scope. Humidity had to be close to 80-90% it shows nothing special one way or the other. Last weekend I had 2 new toys to play with a 17HMR & THOR , I spent more time with the 17 and even killed a pig with it. If we go back this weekend I will concentrate on the Thor and how well it works or not. I would give SachalATN a break until we figure out if its good or bad, there is always plenty of time to point fingers. For me there is a learning process with thermal as it my first one.

Last edited by hetman; 05/19/16 01:37 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6303293 05/19/16 01:54 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Oh yes, high humidity. It makes contrast and all that very tough with thermal, however you can still see thermal images, just not so much of the surroundings. Judging unknown distances is very tough with high humidity. Problem is I don't know when the humidity will go down with all the rain in the forecast. Either way, keep at it. Appreciate the videos and pics and everything you are supplying.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6303459 05/19/16 04:52 AM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6303487 05/19/16 07:24 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie

Relevance? That is for the X-Sight, NOT the Thor HD.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6303772 05/19/16 02:23 PM
J
Jethrowins Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
The video had the Pulsar's brightness turned up way too much. Here is a pic of it with the brightness turned down.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6303948 05/19/16 04:28 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

It is for all ATN Products

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6304392 05/19/16 10:01 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

oh cool !

I've been looking for a place to do research on an ATN Aries MK390 Paladin and DNVM-4 monocular.

I wonder how many reviews there are of those products on that site....

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 05/19/16 10:02 PM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Pig_Popper] #6304525 05/19/16 11:39 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

oh cool !

I've been looking for a place to do research on an ATN Aries MK390 Paladin and DNVM-4 monocular.

I wonder how many reviews there are of those products on that site....

You are not going to find reviews on those on very many of the group sites as they are not that popular.

The monocular is pretty good but the BinoX is way better. You will find more reviews on the BinoX than the monocular.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6305179 05/20/16 03:06 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
jtprocaddie - I hope the ThOR HD is all that ATN has presented it to be. I really do as they need something to go right. You may have just become a dealer, but you weren't here for the X-Sight fiasco. You only started hunting around December 2013 (http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...and#Post4859701) and you were asking if anyone knew about the X-Sight only 5 months ago (http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._sc#Post6090667). Most of us had been through two years of X-Sight by then. You said the ThOR HD was "awesome" even though you hadn't received yours. You have pretty much no time with the HD or thermal for that matter, much less other models or brands to compare your experiences with. Part of gaining credibility is the knowledge that a person has spent many hours in the field with a variety of products produced by various manufacturers. They have the time in and have gained journeymen status enough to know what should be. So, pardon me, but it comes off a bit disingenuous and as someone that has no concept of the recent history of the company they are putting their name on the line for. ATN has been damaged by their recent and ongoing performance, you could be too. I hope that isn't the case, just be careful. My understanding is that the HD is close, but not really ready for release as it has some glitches. Again, for both you and ATN I hope the product works out.

cheers

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 05/20/16 10:27 PM.
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: SachalATN] #6305196 05/20/16 03:13 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: SachalATN
That page has over 5900 members all talking about the product. I merely see 5 maybe max 10 people talking about the product here?

If someone had an active 5900 member page, why would they bother themselves with an insignificant forum that only has 5 - 10 people max talking about their product? Who do you think you're fooling?

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dfwroadkill] #6305506 05/20/16 07:27 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by dfwroadkill
jtprocaddie - SNIP You may have just become a dealer, but you weren't here for the X-Sight fiasco. Most of us had been through two years of X-Sight by then. You said the ThOR HD was "amazing" even though you hadn't received yours. You have pretty much no time with the HD or thermal for that matter, SNIP

So, pardon me, but it comes off a bit disingenuous and as someone that has no concept of the recent history of the company they are putting their name on the line for. SNIP
cheers

Exactly right and it defines what our former President has to say on the matter

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Pig_Popper] #6305531 05/20/16 07:48 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don't have a FB account (or a snapchatt/twitter/Pinterest /tumblr/Instagram). I'd be interested in knowing how many orders they have and how many actual released for production units they have shipped.

Outside of the tact-cool crowd, this is a specialty product. I would think that that at least a notable fraction of thier sales would be represented between THF and ARE -15.com night vision forums. I see reps posting about how many uses they have on FB, and how the most recent info is there... but several users here and on ARFC have access to the FB page and I've seen a post saying there is not much different or newer there

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6306049 05/21/16 05:35 AM
V
v6racer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
V
Received my thor hd 5x-640 this afternoon. Out of the box the focus is terrible. I can get a sharp image from about 15 feet but beyond that is blurred at best. Should be set for 7 yards to infinity or something like that. Also my old L3 thermal eye produces a better picture. The Thor is very noisy with flickering lines.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: v6racer] #6306282 05/21/16 04:28 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: v6racer
Received my thor hd 5x-640 this afternoon. Out of the box the focus is terrible. I can get a sharp image from about 15 feet but beyond that is blurred at best. Should be set for 7 yards to infinity or something like that. Also my old L3 thermal eye produces a better picture. The Thor is very noisy with flickering lines.

I've got 1 question for you, is your THoR HD AWESOME????

As described in the beginning page of this thread by ATN's dealer...

rolleyes

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Pig_Popper] #6306353 05/21/16 06:29 PM
V
v6racer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
V
Awesome? Not at the movement. I have used products from BAE, Raytheon, DRS, FLIR, and L3 with the smaller 320x240 sensors and gotten better images. Those weren't initial releases and I don't know if those were 12um pitch sensors or not. I'll give ATN a chance based on that. From what I've heard the Thor uses a ULIS 17um pitch sensor.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: v6racer] #6306363 05/21/16 06:46 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by v6racer
From what I've heard the Thor uses a ULIS 17um pitch sensor.

Yup that's the rumor , same as the Pulsar APEX scopes but it is interesting to observe the two products when all other pieces are sourced from different vendors and countries.

It's like that old saying when dealing with cheaper products "Yeah it's got SONY guts " but in reality it isn't a SONY product...

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6306450 05/21/16 09:00 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Funny stuff right there Pig Popper.... rofl

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: dfwroadkill] #6309574 05/24/16 04:21 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
jtprocaddie - I hope the ThOR HD is all that ATN has presented it to be. I really do as they need something to go right. You may have just become a dealer, but you weren't here for the X-Sight fiasco. You only started hunting around December 2013 (http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...and#Post4859701) and you were asking if anyone knew about the X-Sight only 5 months ago (http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._sc#Post6090667). Most of us had been through two years of X-Sight by then. You said the ThOR HD was "awesome" even though you hadn't received yours. You have pretty much no time with the HD or thermal for that matter, much less other models or brands to compare your experiences with. Part of gaining credibility is the knowledge that a person has spent many hours in the field with a variety of products produced by various manufacturers. They have the time in and have gained journeymen status enough to know what should be. So, pardon me, but it comes off a bit disingenuous and as someone that has no concept of the recent history of the company they are putting their name on the line for. ATN has been damaged by their recent and ongoing performance, you could be too. I hope that isn't the case, just be careful. My understanding is that the HD is close, but not really ready for release as it has some glitches. Again, for both you and ATN I hope the product works out.

cheers

You are 100% correct that I started my ATN experience in December. But you are not correct that I have not been around the block with experience with the products. I owned a 3x12 and a 5x18 and made it my job to become an expert on those products to assist people in troubleshooting issues, and being a VERY ACTIVE member of the support group. I was one of the FIRST people, aside from the test personnel, to get the ATN X-Sight II in my hands and had some of the first reviews for this product on youtube and other outlets.

ATN has a fiasco with the release of the X-Sight I I agree but with the continued support of the Facebook Group, and the Facebook Texas group they have listened and SOLVED a lot of those issues with their new items. I have made it my personal mission to learn all of the issues of the X-sight I and their fixes.. I would not be any kind of a good dealer if I did not extensively know the history, issues & their fixes, along with the hands on experience of the new products.

Although the majority of my experience is with the X-Sights, I have many members who have the THOR HD in hands and together we are picking it apart to find the good, the great, and the ugly.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6309578 05/24/16 04:24 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
PS I still think for the price point and the features offered the base model THOR is awesome, I have not had or had a customer, with the high end models in hand. But then again it is my first Thermal experience. The only issues I have seen so far are a few dead pixle issues, but from those customers ATn has taken care of the issue for them.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6309747 05/24/16 06:52 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
PS I still think for the price point and the features offered the base model THOR is awesome, I have not had or had a customer, with the high end models in hand. But then again it is my first Thermal experience. The only issues I have seen so far are a few dead pixle issues, but from those customers ATn has taken care of the issue for them.

Interesting, so you have had multiple customers who have had to return their defective scopes to ATN. That says a lot about QC issues.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6309784 05/24/16 07:20 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
You are 100% correct that I started my ATN experience in December. But you are not correct that I have not been around the block with experience with the products. I owned a 3x12 and a 5x18 and made it my job to become an expert on those products to assist people in troubleshooting issues, and being a VERY ACTIVE member of the support group. I was one of the FIRST people, aside from the test personnel, to get the ATN X-Sight II in my hands and had some of the first reviews for this product on youtube and other outlets.

ATN has a fiasco with the release of the X-Sight I I agree but with the continued support of the Facebook Group, and the Facebook Texas group they have listened and SOLVED a lot of those issues with their new items. I have made it my personal mission to learn all of the issues of the X-sight I and their fixes.. I would not be any kind of a good dealer if I did not extensively know the history, issues & their fixes, along with the hands on experience of the new products.

Although the majority of my experience is with the X-Sights, I have many members who have the THOR HD in hands and together we are picking it apart to find the good, the great, and the ugly.

Well, you missed my point JT. I never questioned your voracity to learn or your desire to be the best you could with the products you desire to sell. These are good traits....and often missing in the NV industry. Don't let that desire to move product blind you from the real world issues however. My point was to be careful about where you place your trust and to understand that as much as you think you have gained experience, you are still a novice at this. Can't be any other way with only 5 or less months in. You simply haven't used enough variety of product for enough time to know how things should be. How many other digital scopes have you hunted with for extended periods in the field? How does their function and reliability compare to what you are offering? How many brands and models of digital or thermal have you used extensively and for extended periods in the field? How does their function and reliability compare to your offering? You see, those things must be a large part of your credibility. So, when you come in here and claim the Thor HD is "amazing" before you even have one it sounds more like a salesman than someone with the knowledge you can trust to know the difference. I'm thinking you are a good guy trying to do the right thing, but you haven't been down the road so many of us on this forum have gone down. Becoming a dealer is the easy part.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: TXGH] #6309854 05/24/16 08:13 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
PS I still think for the price point and the features offered the base model THOR is awesome

This is where your inexperience shows. A 1.25X thermal has a very confined area of use. You stated on the other thread that it was "perfect" for 150 yards and maybe 200. Detect, maybe, but you would miss it many times and not know it was there. Forget recognition and ID. No, it is far from perfect at that range. I think a 1.25X has a sweet spot at around 50 yards and in. Couple that mag with a 3XX core and as you try to magnify to be able to see better....forget it. I, personally, would never hunt with one. It just doesn't give me the mag or image I need to make the right shots. So, inexperience would sell this as a useful tool to someone thinking they are getting a thermal that will work out to 150 yards and beyond. They will be sorely disappointed IMO...

To illustrate, here is a pic of a 640 cored Armasight with a 1.5X mag at only 75 yards:

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6309893 05/24/16 08:45 PM
G
garbs Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Yeah, I have to concur with the above. I imagine many of these early-adopters of the base model Thor HD will be wishing they had spent the extra money to get something with a little more optical magnification.

I looked at the Thor HD briefly, but decided on the Pulsar XD50A because I'd rather have the stability than an onboard dvr. Plus with all the POI-related issues I had with the gen 1 X-Sight, I don't think I'll ever trust another one of their scopes again. Of course, ATN keeps making excuses like "Oh, phones have software bugs too"... and that's true, but my phone doesn't fire a deadly projectile out into the darkness.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: garbs] #6309955 05/24/16 09:27 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: garbs
ATN keeps making excuses like "Oh, phones have software bugs too"... and that's true, but my phone doesn't fire a deadly projectile out into the darkness.

up

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide