Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302439 05/18/16 01:45 PM
Stealthjr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Ill say similar to what I said in Archers posted comparison along with Hetman "dead out of the box" experience...
ATN should be embarrassed of themselves! Their quality as of late with the X sight and now this is pathetic. I own a older Thor 336 thermal that has been good to me. However, I wouldn't touch another ATN product in the future...why gamble on thousands of dollars when there are WAY TOO MANY other choices? Clearly, they have cut costs, changed suppliers, lost good engineers or something. How else do you explain this brutal quality of product coming from them?

So far we have had two of these ATN HD units tested on this forum and two issues that would require them to be returned. Sad really.

All in my little old opinion of course.

Cheers!

There's nothing better than killin it and grillin it!
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: MDM12] #6302525 05/18/16 02:50 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: MDM12
Great video comparison. Very clear winner here.

My thoughts are there is a clear winner (at this point) based on the technical glitches of the scope for sure, but the view (when working) of the Thor HD was pretty equal to the view of the Apex...not bad and seemed you could easily hunt something out to 100 yards. My big beef with the couple of vidoes we have seen from the thor hd is the native optical mag, it seems about half of what the apex is and thus would require a higher mag model to effectively hunt with. But the view of the heifers at 600 yards was essentially the same, the thermal sensor seems to be as good as the Apex unit.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302530 05/18/16 02:59 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
So of the Thor HD units we know about...

hetman had a unit that powered up once and then never again.

fr3db3ar shared a video that looked pretty good, had no sound, but showed a bunch of dead pixels

jtprocaddie showed a video of a raccoon at short range. It looked terrible and there was no sound.

SachalATN posted a video of a very short distance dog on a porch where the image kept graying out and the sounds heard do not appear to correspond directly with the action on the screen.

RONIN003 posted a video that looked pretty good of some deer. At the end, the audio cuts out before the video ends. More sound issues?

jtprodcaddie posted a video showing the shooting pigs in high grass. High grass is always a problem because you can't see the target very well, so assessing the image is a bit more difficult in this case, but the image doesn't look bad for what it is. The sound, however, does NOT jive with the action.

Archersparadox2020 presents a nice comparison video. The Thor HD is way too dark, had a giant line across the screen, and similar to hetman's issue, fails to power and won't come back on.

So that is what we have so far. Does this sound like the X-Sight rollout fiasco of 2015? Sachal and the vendors singing the praises for the scope, new owners being very excited by the prospect of cutting edge technology for low amounts of money, followed up by disappointing performance, sound issues, video issues, dead scopes, and we haven't even gotten to the field tests of all the other options on the new scopes yet. Hmmmm.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 05/18/16 03:01 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302600 05/18/16 03:56 PM
S
SachalATN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Maybe my monitor is fooling my eyes but to me the contrast on the ThOR HD looks much better than the Pulsar.

As for people complaining about no sound. It has to do with the software you are using. If you are using windows media player, you might not hear any sound. USE VLC player

As for dead pixels, i guess people either have a short memory span or are new to thermal technology now that we have made it affordable, they are very common on thermal sensors and almost every thermal has it. Flir/BAE/Pulsar all correct these dead pixels by mirroring the pixel next to it. NO THERMAL SENSOR WILL BE 100% PERFECT! We will also address it in the upcoming days by a simply software update. Its not detrimental to the scope.

ATN Corporation, USA
The Future of Optics
www.atncorp.com

Please note: I do not read private messages here.
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302628 05/18/16 04:14 PM
S
SachalATN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Credit to R.K

"I'm quite impressed by the ThOR 640. Just got back from the first hunt. While conditions were not optimal (about 75F and 90% humidity), the result was impressive."

Last edited by SachalATN; 05/18/16 04:20 PM.

ATN Corporation, USA
The Future of Optics
www.atncorp.com

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302655 05/18/16 04:41 PM
Stealthjr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Sachal,

With all due respect...your not going to be able to snow us into believing the SOLID white line is acceptible, the multiple power issues are acceptible or anything inbetween. Are you really going to come on here and polish this turd? I respect the fact you keep trying but come on man...so far this product is not supporting the hype and so far it has landed with a big thud.
As I said before, I have an ATN THERMAL NOW and am satisfied with it. Was going to buy the XSight but ran for the hills after all the reviews. Currently looking to replace one of my oldest thermals and at this point wouldn't even consider an ATN PRODUCT.
I just wish you would take off your blinders and admit the product has some bugs to be worked out...stop taking people's money, stop shipping them until you make the product worthy of the coin your asking for it.

I've said all I have to say...no reason to state the obvious to those without an agenda!

Time to put on my happy face...cheers!

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302668 05/18/16 04:49 PM
S
SachalATN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
As far the line goes, yes that is a QC issue and I have reached out to the member and will be addressing it.

But with all due respect, I have yet to come across a company, even as big as Apple or Google, with a 100% perfect product right off the bat. - Apple and their apple watch / Tesla and their cars now are still having issues. We have to realize that these things are not just nuts and bolts. There is a lot that goes into it. Almost millions lines of coding! Do you think its possible to have a perfect code right from the bat?

It is what the company does POST SALE that defines the company. We are doing our best to address the issues customers are having and we dont want to leave our customers hanging. Believe it or not but that is not how we want to do business. I see comments once in a while, oh why dont you go and fix gen 1 before introducing gen 2? Well my question to you is what does the GEN 1 scope doesnt do that we said it would do??? List specific items please, not general vague statements.

Now I would say this, sometimes our surroundings can really limit what we see and how we see them. With all due respect the level of activity and sharing of information on this forum is very limited compared to lets just say the Facebook smart HD page. I am constantly seeing amazing videos and images being shared and people talking about the product. That page has over 5900 members all talking about the product. I merely see 5 maybe max 10 people talking about the product here?

Last edited by SachalATN; 05/18/16 04:59 PM.

ATN Corporation, USA
The Future of Optics
www.atncorp.com

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302688 05/18/16 05:03 PM
J
Jethrowins Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I think mirroring the dead pixels is a nice feature when your warranty runs out. Not a nice feature when it's turned on for the first time.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302689 05/18/16 05:03 PM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
There are issues no doubt, but minor ones that are being addressed right away with the customer service at ATN. but for the 1999 price point I think its a good buy still. I was a customer before I was an authorized dealer as well.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Jethrowins] #6302691 05/18/16 05:06 PM
S
SachalATN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Jethrowins
I think mirroring the dead pixels is a nice feature when your warranty runs out. Not a nice feature when it's turned on for the first time.

"As for dead pixels, i guess people either have a short memory span or are new to thermal technology now that we have made it affordable, they are very common on thermal sensors and almost every thermal has it. Flir/BAE/Pulsar all correct these dead pixels by mirroring the pixel next to it. NO THERMAL SENSOR WILL BE 100% PERFECT! "
Ill add having dead pixels is not detrimental to the scope or effects the longevity of the product.

ATN Corporation, USA
The Future of Optics
www.atncorp.com

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: SachalATN] #6302693 05/18/16 05:06 PM
R
RONIN003 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: SachalATN

Now I would say this, sometimes our surroundings can really limit what we see and how we see them. With all due respect the level of activity and sharing of information on this forum is very limited compared to lets just say the Facebook smart HD page. I am constantly seeing amazing videos and images being shared and people talking about the product. That page has over 5900 members all talking about the product. I merely see 5 maybe max 10 people talking about the product here?

Post a hyperlink to this FACEBOOK smart HD page....

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302741 05/18/16 05:57 PM
MDM12 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
My guess its this maybe...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATNXSightUsers/

It's a closed group and you have to join. I joined. Really didn't see anything that hasn't been posted here already as far as video. A couple guys have some still shots posted up.

Last edited by MDM12; 05/18/16 06:14 PM.
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302788 05/18/16 06:22 PM
R
RONIN003 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Im in that group and I haven't seen nothing posted there than what I have seen here.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302794 05/18/16 06:27 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
That page has over 5900 members all talking about the product. I merely see 5 maybe max 10 people talking about the product here?

That isn't 5900 people talking about the Thor HD, LOL.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6302810 05/18/16 06:41 PM
S
SachalATN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
still plenty more than here.

ATN Corporation, USA
The Future of Optics
www.atncorp.com

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302831 05/18/16 07:02 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Ain't nothin' better on at the movies...

popcorn popcorn popcorn

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302832 05/18/16 07:03 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Looking at the side x side comparison I'd buy a pulsar any day over a ThorHD.

Last edited by dogdown23; 05/18/16 07:03 PM.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302836 05/18/16 07:04 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Looks like the only 2 folks that have good things to say about the ThorHD is a sales rep for them and an authorized dealer?

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302860 05/18/16 07:27 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I think the one thing we all need to remember is the model being posted about is the base model. For its intended purposes, it seems like a good hunting tool for around 100 yards and inside, and it had as good detection at over 600 yards as the Apex. Native Mag is going to be different for each scope, and that seems to be one of the issues we saw on the comp video, and brightness and such things are typically adjusted by the user and sometimes video doesn't show the best representation of what the user sees.

I personally would want a higher native mag on my scope, as I currently have a thor 336 3X scope and it works perfect for me and my hunting patterns, but for some, the 1.25X native mag on the scope might be enough. Different stroke for different folks.

I would not be happy with the white line and the sudden shut offs, but those are issues ATN is dealing with per Sachal. If those kinks get worked out, then this could be a fine scope.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: SachalATN] #6302888 05/18/16 07:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

But aren't the numbers you claimed.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302921 05/18/16 08:25 PM
J
Jethrowins Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Does this scope have a shutter or do you have to close the cap every time you need to calibrate? And is there an external button or do I need to go into the menu each time to do it?

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6302957 05/18/16 08:53 PM
G
garbs Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I made the mistake of buying a gen 1 X-Sight and pretty much couldn't hunt with it for about 6 months due to the buggy firmware. They would promise a fix in a couple weeks and end up releasing a new firmware that just broke something different, like the zoom algorithms, causing POI nightmares.

Who knows how long it'll take them to work out all the issues with the thor HDs. Hell, I'm pretty sure the gen 1 X-Sight still has issues, like the compass feature locking up the scope when it doesn't have the best reception, but I don't use it much anymore. This experience led me to shop different vendors for my recent thermal purchase, and as much as I love the idea of ATN's smart scopes, I just can't bring myself to trust them.

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: SachalATN] #6302982 05/18/16 09:13 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

I figured I would get in before the lock (IBTL)

It's interesting that you downplay this forum by stating that there are 8-10 people here which comment on the product.

The interesting part is that apparently those 8-10 people were important enough to bring you back to the forum after months of inactivity.

Actions speak louder than words , that ain't just a Texas thing by the way

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: Pig_Popper] #6303088 05/18/16 11:00 PM
S
SachalATN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

I figured I would get in before the lock (IBTL)

It's interesting that you downplay this forum by stating that there are 8-10 people here which comment on the product.

The interesting part is that apparently those 8-10 people were important enough to bring you back to the forum after months of inactivity.

Actions speak louder than words , that ain't just a Texas thing by the way

Lol I got sucked into it but thanks for reminding me. See you all around wink and you can blame or thank the guy above laugh

Last edited by SachalATN; 05/18/16 11:02 PM.

ATN Corporation, USA
The Future of Optics
www.atncorp.com

Re: Thor HD Thermal Just Arrived [Re: hetman] #6303160 05/19/16 12:02 AM
Stealthjr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
If you can't stand the heat...get out of the kitchen.

No chance in pulling the wool over our eyes!

Oops, better go take my happy pills. muyloco

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide