Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5604278 02/17/15 05:16 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Noggy, since you aren't a cattle fella, any reason you're leaving the hay field alone?

http://www.seedranch.com/mobile/product....CFQiUaQodQ2AAPw

Just trying to spend your money during antler growing season. Beats Shana's suggestion. grin

Last edited by rifleman; 02/17/15 05:17 PM.
Re: The price we pay [Re: rifleman] #5604332 02/17/15 05:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Noggy, since you aren't a cattle fella, any reason you're leaving the hay field alone?

Just trying to spend your money during antler growing season. Beats Shana's suggestion. grin

I trade the hay for a great older man to keep the place up, watch it, keep it mowed, clear fallen trees, plant food plots, etc. Some years it's a great deal for him, some not so much. But it all comes out in the wash. Peace of mind is worth a lot. If Tammy and I ever relocate I am germinating several ideas. Just added that one to the mix. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5604408 02/17/15 06:42 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I'm not saying buy or don't buy. Lease or not lease. But answer this. Where can I get a sizable piece of land to purchase with excellent hunting with the improvements I get on the lease I'm on for the price of $250/month?

You talk about investments but at my age, having had two heart incidents and a family history of not making age of social security the thought of the investment is not there for me. It would be for the pure satisfaction of owning my own land to hunt, raise a critter or two and live out my days in the country.

Factor in a lack of support from the other half of the finances in the house and it makes you question what is the best move.

I'm just saying you can complain about the cost to lease land but realistically the cost to own land is much higher. In time as well as money.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5604421 02/17/15 06:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That's true.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The price we pay [Re: passthru] #5604489 02/17/15 07:46 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'm with you brother!

Originally Posted By: passthru
I'm not saying buy or don't buy. Lease or not lease. But answer this. Where can I get a sizable piece of land to purchase with excellent hunting with the improvements I get on the lease I'm on for the price of $250/month?

You talk about investments but at my age, having had two heart incidents and a family history of not making age of social security the thought of the investment is not there for me. It would be for the pure satisfaction of owning my own land to hunt, raise a critter or two and live out my days in the country.

Factor in a lack of support from the other half of the finances in the house and it makes you question what is the best move.

I'm just saying you can complain about the cost to lease land but realistically the cost to own land is much higher. In time as well as money.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: The price we pay [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5604543 02/17/15 08:26 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I trade the hay for a great older man to keep the place up, watch it, keep it mowed, clear fallen trees, plant food plots, etc. Some years it's a great deal for him, some not so much. But it all comes out in the wash. Peace of mind is worth a lot. If Tammy and I ever relocate I am germinating several ideas. Just added that one to the mix. smile

Shana's idea was a guest house somewheres else. rofl

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5604555 02/17/15 08:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
LOL. My backup plan is to be y'all's ranch foreman. We will even keep the kiddos on occasion. smile

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5604694 02/17/15 09:48 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'll FedEX them to you so I can get more than 2hrs of sleep at night.

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5604825 02/17/15 11:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
smile

Re: The price we pay [Re: DQ Kid] #5605384 02/18/15 03:43 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Lots of generalizations regarding land ownership in here. As I've always said, big difference in purchasing 200 acres or less vs. 500 acres or more. For 200 acres or less, with a decent down payment, 20-50%, you are talking about servicing a loan of $150-200K up to 20 yrs./maybe 30 yrs. if you can find one.
For 500 acres, after downpayment, you're still talking about servicing a loan of $600-$800K. Lot easier in my book to debt service $200K vs. $800K. I'm not a mathematician, just a guy with an accounting degree that works in Finance/Accounting for a living.

way too many generalizations here.

its a common theme that if you "don't buy too big a house, drive an old car and don't eat out" you'll be able to have a ranch.

Not once has anyone brought up positive cash flow....they all want to save their way to a property.

I guess everyone is buying land that will not help pay for itself also via some income from any or all of these.... livestock, farming, hay production, etc.

Therein lies the conundrum, for a city slicker wanting to buy a plot of land with principle purpose of hunting, unless you have a bit of "cash flow" as Trophy puts it; it rarely pays to purchase land to simply have it sit "idle". The land has to be worked/improved likely involving livestock to generate sufficient ROI. A bit hard to do though if you live in the city, 200 miles away. Unless you are willing to employ a ranchhand full-time to run the place.

Pretty much described my exact business plan. Accumulated many thousands of acres buying raw land, leasing the grazing AND hunting (of course I retained a few deer for me), and turning it into gold after a few years. Actually lived over 300 miles and 7.5 hours to 8.5 hours away. Talk about sweat equity... Those two day weekends were rough building cabins, putting in food plots, blinds, and feeders. But very lucrative. And I never had a ranch hand other than my wife and kids and friends.

Yep, I busted my hump and made it work great.

However, explaining just how that works to you and the fledgling RE agent, would prove a task too large. Suffice to say, I'm a pretty happy camper that you never were my accountant. wink

Last edited by therancher; 02/18/15 03:50 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: passthru] #5605395 02/18/15 03:47 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: passthru

Agreed. Buying land from scratch is a young mans game. And lease prices ARE a bargain.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5605662 02/18/15 12:32 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
It all depends. I just figured it all up on my property based on the ongoing discussions here. How much does my 240 actually cost me? I will start by saying I didn't buy as an investment. I bought to have some land to retire on, build a house, and have enough land to hunt for me, wife, and two kids. Appreciation is just an irrelevant side-consequence.

Currently, the land sits idle, but there are a couple of barns on the place as far as improvements go. However, about 2/3 is in CRP and that really helps. After looking at that, mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utilities (co-op water and electric), my place costs me about $550 per year or abut $46 per month. I currently have about 75% equity in it. I've owned it for five years and I've never lived closer than 500 miles to it.

The only other money I spend is on corn for feeders, batteries for trail cams, food while we're there, and gas to get there. We stay in our travel trailer while we're there.

The point is that it can be done, even on limited income (our family is single military income), and with a few good blessings from the Lord.

One last point for those investment-minded folk, you make your money on the buy, not the sale.

Now color me solidly in the landowner group. flag

[Linked Image]
Re: The price we pay [Re: kry226] #5605670 02/18/15 12:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: kry226
It all depends. I just figured it all up on my property based on the ongoing discussions here. How much does my 240 actually cost me? I will start by saying I didn't buy as an investment. I bought to have some land to retire on, build a house, and have enough land to hunt for me, wife, and two kids. Appreciation is just an irrelevant side-consequence.

Currently, the land sits idle, but there are a couple of barns on the place as far as improvements go. However, about 2/3 is in CRP and that really helps. After looking at that, mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utilities (co-op water and electric), my place costs me about $550 per year or abut $46 per month. I currently have about 75% equity in it. I've owned it for five years and I've never lived closer than 500 miles to it.

The only other money I spend is on corn for feeders, batteries for trail cams, food while we're there, and gas to get there. We stay in our travel trailer while we're there.

The point is that it can be done, even on limited income (our family is single military income), and with a few good blessings from the Lord.

One last point for those investment-minded folk, you make your money on the buy, not the sale.

Now color me solidly in the landowner group. flag

My story is very similar. It's paid for now but it wasn't easy. The note payments required a pretty big sacrifice for many years. Like anything in life, you just have to decide what your priorities are.

I will say that, at today's prices, putting together a good amount of acreage is a lot harder to do than it used to be. Just the way it is.

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5605689 02/18/15 12:59 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It's sad because just a few years ago I paid cash for 20 acres in Missouri. Today it has quadrupled in value.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5605694 02/18/15 01:02 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Agreed. It has to be a priority that you stick to, and while good deals are few, they ARE out there. But, you have to look at things differently too. People rarely go to where the land is. They want their land to be "in their neighborhood" to quote an HGTV-ism. Our dream was to be in the Hill Country. Well, we're not even close to the Hill Country and couldn't be happier. Most people couldn't imagine immigrating to a dying one-horse town and county area, but we love it.

We wanted to be so far out that when we went to the store, we wanted to call it "going for supplies".

[Linked Image]
Re: The price we pay [Re: therancher] #5605716 02/18/15 01:15 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: therancher
[quote=txtrophy85][quote=DQ Kid]Lots of generalizations regarding land ownership in here. As I've always said, big difference in purchasing 200 acres or less vs. 500 acres or more. For 200 acres or less, with a decent down payment, 20-50%, you are talking about servicing a loan of $150-200K up to 20 yrs./maybe 30 yrs. if you can find one.
For 500 acres, after downpayment, you're still talking about servicing a loan of $600-$800K. Lot easier in my book to debt service $200K vs. $800K. I'm not a mathematician, just a guy with an accounting degree that works in Finance/Accounting for a living.

Therein lies the conundrum, for a city slicker wanting to buy a plot of land with principle purpose of hunting, unless you have a bit of "cash flow" as Trophy puts it; it rarely pays to purchase land to simply have it sit "idle". The land has to be worked/improved likely involving livestock to generate sufficient ROI. A bit hard to do though if you live in the city, 200 miles away. Unless you are willing to employ a ranchhand full-time to run the place.

Pretty much described my exact business plan. Accumulated many thousands of acres buying raw land, leasing the grazing AND hunting (of course I retained a few deer for me), and turning it into gold after a few years. Actually lived over 300 miles and 7.5 hours to 8.5 hours away. Talk about sweat equity... Those two day weekends were rough building cabins, putting in food plots, blinds, and feeders. But very lucrative. And I never had a ranch hand other than my wife and kids and friends.

However, explaining just how that works to you and the fledgling RE agent, would prove a task too large. Suffice to say, I'm a pretty happy camper that you never were my accountant. wink

That's cool I never wanted to be an accountant for a land baron of your supposed stature that gains pleasure in sharing all the inner secrets of land acquisition. When's the book coming out?

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5605789 02/18/15 01:52 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Anyone that did levered buys of land over the last 20 years in Texas did well.

Re: The price we pay [Re: DQ Kid] #5605913 02/18/15 02:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher
[quote=txtrophy85][quote=DQ Kid]Lots of generalizations regarding land ownership in here. As I've always said, big difference in purchasing 200 acres or less vs. 500 acres or more. For 200 acres or less, with a decent down payment, 20-50%, you are talking about servicing a loan of $150-200K up to 20 yrs./maybe 30 yrs. if you can find one.

That's cool I never wanted to be an accountant for a land baron of your supposed stature that gains pleasure in sharing all the inner secrets of land acquisition. When's the book coming out?

Love or hate or mock rancher..he actually just described what a lot of us do in some form or fashion.

There are a bunch of absentee land owners that have found ways to help off set the costs of landownership.

And there are ways where some land can pay for its self, but requires paying the majority in up front cash for one property so that it's revenue off set costs of the other property.

I live 7 hours from my ranch.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The price we pay [Re: kry226] #5605962 02/18/15 03:04 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Agreed. It has to be a priority that you stick to, and while good deals are few, they ARE out there. But, you have to look at things differently too. People rarely go to where the land is. They want their land to be "in their neighborhood" to quote an HGTV-ism. Our dream was to be in the Hill Country. Well, we're not even close to the Hill Country and couldn't be happier. Most people couldn't imagine immigrating to a dying one-horse town and county area, but we love it.

We wanted to be so far out that when we went to the store, we wanted to call it "going for supplies".

To be honest, if it's not in our neighborhood in Texas it's not getting bought. Thinking of other family being close, top notch medical care close, sticking with roots and locating properties close in hopes our kids will stay closer to each other and have some interest in it instead of putting it on the auction block as soon as we're 6' under.

Re: The price we pay [Re: rifleman] #5606027 02/18/15 03:39 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
profitable ranches are NOT the norm

Re: The price we pay [Re: rifleman] #5606029 02/18/15 03:40 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General

To be honest, if it's not in our neighborhood in Texas it's not getting bought. Thinking of other family being close, top notch medical care close, sticking with roots and locating properties close in hopes our kids will stay closer to each other and have some interest in it instead of putting it on the auction block as soon as we're 6' under.

Which is exactly what I meant by priorities. Those are yours, and are perfectly fine with me.

We simply found that by having an open mind about certain priorities (i.e., location), a new world of opportunity opened. I haven't lived near my family for over 20 years, nor has my wife. My kids are 9 and 6. They are Army Brats and so they pretty much don't know thus far in their lives what it means to plant roots in anything other than God. We hope to be living on our land in the next five years or so, and by that time they won't remember a time when we didn't own the land (it's actually that way already). And they LOVE the place and love to hunt there. I hear them all the time asking when's the next trip to the ranch. I cannot tell you of the joy enough that comes from young 'uns asking to go rough it and hunt, and explore the place instead of wanting to be TV and video game rats.

My expectation is that they'll grow up appreciating the place and the blessing it is to our family. But if they get rid of it after my wife and I are gone, who cares? I'll be in Heaven having a much better time. up

[Linked Image]
Re: The price we pay [Re: Grosvenor] #5606032 02/18/15 03:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

It's a fine line of input vs output.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5606085 02/18/15 04:07 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I paid $500 to take my son on his first hunt last fall. We spent the weekend in a very nice lodge that I didn't build, hunted out of blinds I didn't build, over feeders that I never filled, while spending time with one of my very best friends and his son doing the exact same thing. I was able to share in the joy of my son and friends son harvesting their first 2 deer each which were then skinned and quartered for us, all on 500 acres of beautiful land that I didn't have a mortgage on.

I think it was a heck of a bargain. While my wife and I would love to have a piece of our own property, we have come to the conclusion that it would just be impossible to devote the time to it necessary to truly enjoy it. For us, these short hunts on others property are quite the deal and allow us the ability to relax instead of work on the weekends. As many have said, it comes down to priorities.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: The price we pay [Re: DQ Kid] #5606183 02/18/15 04:44 PM
K
KCH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
That's cool I never wanted to be an accountant for a land baron of your supposed stature that gains pleasure in sharing all the inner secrets of land acquisition. When's the book coming out?[/quote]
laugh
LOL'z...that a great response man...love it!!!

Last edited by KCH; 02/18/15 04:46 PM.
Re: The price we pay [Re: Grosvenor] #5610236 02/20/15 08:10 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

Yep most of those were handed down for free with no land payment.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide