Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hog problem [Re: GriffGruff78] #2822736 12/09/11 12:07 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'm loaded with them. When deer season is over, I'm going to turn my 13 year old Grandson and his bow hunting buddies loose on them.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Hog problem [Re: Dave Davidson] #2823428 12/09/11 05:20 PM
E
Eastxhuntr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I'm loaded with them. When deer season is over, I'm going to turn my 13 year old Grandson and his bow hunting buddies loose on them.

Sounds like so much freakin fun!

Re: Hog problem [Re: GriffGruff78] #2824607 12/10/11 02:20 AM
P
PIG_STICKER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Our hogs Have gone..... Prob because of the # of Wildfires we had at the begining of Sept. Wouldn't mind a few back but alot will tear ur place UP!! And quick!!

If u can see IT!!! U can HIT IT!!!!!
Re: Hog problem [Re: PIG_STICKER] #2836704 12/14/11 11:11 AM
J
joshbenavides Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
nothin like that squeal of a piggy when that 168 breaks flesh

Re: Hog problem [Re: joshbenavides] #2836841 12/14/11 01:29 PM
M
Mberet Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Why in the hell would you want that problem? I agree its a curse once you do got them good luck getting rid of them..

The canopy became his shroud; he hurtled to the ground. And he ain't gonna jump no more. Gory, gory, what a hell of a way to die, he ain't gonna jump no more!
Re: Hog problem [Re: Mberet] #2837948 12/14/11 06:47 PM
H
Holland Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Thank you Mberet! GIG"M!

www.dogbreathcoyotecalls.com
Custom Calls By Ed Jordan

"Beer has food value, but food has no beer value"
Re: Hog problem [Re: GriffGruff78] #2846357 12/17/11 06:11 AM
C
Cougarfoot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
How can you call hog hunting a challenge. these animals cant see. not only that they travel in big groups so you have plenty to choose from. you people that are wishing for more hogs are nuts. I myself like to hog hunt but i also like watching other animals to. if hogs are around theres not much to be found because of the stinch. Not only that they are tearing up beautiful landscape. I leave you with this which is more challenging catching a fish in a barrel with your bare hands or shooting a twelve gauge in the barrel to get the fish. Thats your difference in Deer hunting (by hand) and Hog hunting (twelve gauge).

Go Deep Or Go Home!!!!
Re: Hog problem [Re: Cougarfoot] #2846373 12/17/11 06:33 AM
K
Kentucky_Windage Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I might agree with you on the "lesser challenge" of hog hunting if the only hog hunting I had ever done was over feeders or chasing them around on a small high-fence place. However, I hunted hogs for decades on some very large ranches in central Calif., where Russian wild boar were first introduced in the 1800s. They interbred with escaped domestics, producing offspring that are, in many ways, very similar to the Russians. While I've hunted them behind dogs, I've always prefered spot-and-stalk. In some of that big country (30,000 acre plus ranches... a lot of it vertical), they can be every bit as challenging as deer -- sometimes more so, depending on terrain and conditions. That's especially true of the biggest boars, which are often loners. Out there, true trophy status usually starts at 300 lbs. and 3 in. tusks. Haven't shot many hogs here, yet, since I just relocated last March (shot lots of other things on prior trips to Texas, and a bunch of exotics since I got here), but the hogs I've seen here thus far seem to have a bit more domestic strain in them. That's not a criticism, just an observation based on admittedly limited Texas hog experience.

At any rate, hog hunting can get under your skin! I enjoy hunting them as much today as when I started. Just in case anyone is overun with them, I'm more than willing to lend a hand! smile

Re: Hog problem [Re: Kentucky_Windage] #2846395 12/17/11 07:37 AM
C
Cougarfoot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
i see where your coming from and agree that would be more sporting and Challenging and i agree that is big game hunting but these guys are hunting on 50 to a hundred acres and are more so hoping that they pass through then getting out and tracking them.

Go Deep Or Go Home!!!!
Re: Hog problem [Re: Holland] #2850769 12/19/11 02:14 AM
T
texaspatriot.308 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

this big boy was shot by my buddy with his 30-30 about 20 yards behind our cabin, pig came right down the fenceline, very little challenge when they are this thick, every now and then shine a light behind the house and shoot one. get tired of haulng em off to gut pile.

TexasPatriot.308
Re: Hog problem [Re: texaspatriot.308] #2850990 12/19/11 03:05 AM
B
big-tex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: texaspatriot.308

get tired of haulng em off to gut pile.

Invite some THF members, they will be glad to clean em up and take meat home

When quality counts!!!!!
http://texascamo.tk
Re: Hog problem [Re: big-tex] #2851126 12/19/11 03:46 AM
J
jimbo882 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
It seems to me, the guys with a hog problem want to charge out the kazoo for a guy that just wants some meat. i'd be glad to take out a few just for the meat. Do they really have a PROBLEM or are they just hungry for the money.

Re: Hog problem [Re: jimbo882] #2851143 12/19/11 03:53 AM
T
texaspatriot.308 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I am "lucky??" that I have 3 leased cattle pastures and a deer lease that are overrun with hogs. they are a curse as far as the damage they do on the cattle pastures, but the landowner doesnt like the liability of lots of hunters coming out, last year he did let some guys come out, we found the remains of several ducks later, end of that deal, my deer lease is full of em and they swarm our feeders when they go off. the landowners that do charge hunters are out for money, but you cant blame em, most hunters arent as "lucky" as me. as far as meat, I wouldnt eat them nasty things.

TexasPatriot.308
Re: Hog problem [Re: Cougarfoot] #2851362 12/19/11 06:10 AM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Cougarfoot
How can you call hog hunting a challenge. these animals cant see. not only that they travel in big groups so you have plenty to choose from. you people that are wishing for more hogs are nuts. I myself like to hog hunt but i also like watching other animals to. if hogs are around theres not much to be found because of the stinch. Not only that they are tearing up beautiful landscape. I leave you with this which is more challenging catching a fish in a barrel with your bare hands or shooting a twelve gauge in the barrel to get the fish. Thats your difference in Deer hunting (by hand) and Hog hunting (twelve gauge).

Easy with the "you people" stuff, but I've never seen a pig come into a feeder during the daylight outside of South Texas and I have a theory about that.

A pig that comes to a feeder with the sun up is spoiled by a landowner who owns 5,000+ acres, most of which is impenetrable huisache that provides a lot of privacy and prevents effective culling, and hunters who can't be there more than every other weekend during whitetail season and MAYBE twice in the offseason. You're right, it's not a big deal to kill a half-tame feral pig. You will not appreciate how adaptable these animals are and how challenging the hunt can be until you've shot, bayed and trapped them completely off of diurnal activity. Once you start hunting spooky pigs that understand a thing or two about humans you'll get it.

Incidentally, I no longer consider hunting out of a box blind, watching a feeder and overcoming a cocktail of fight-or-flight hormones in order to place an 80 yard shot enough of a challenge (I keep doing it, though).

I might add that the first time you kill a pig with an edged weapon (by hand) it will be a psychologically significant event that puts a bug in you. Also, I've never been SCARED while hunting whitetail.

I got into pig hunting because they turned a beautiful pecan orchard into a mud pit that you couldn't drive across without breaking an axle. During the process of killing as many as I could, I acquired a taste for it. When the drought pushed them off of that property it was definitely a "win", but also a conflict. "Where can I go to kill pigs now?" is not the same as "I want the pigs to come back".

Anyway, I just wanted to be sure you understood something about me before I get thrown into "you people", whoever they are.

Re: Hog problem [Re: GriffGruff78] #2852798 12/19/11 07:58 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
now, that's what I'M talkin' about.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Hog problem [Re: GriffGruff78] #2855505 12/20/11 05:40 PM
H
Holland Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78
j

Well I guess since you have never seen it it doesn't happens! I hunt the red and had 20-30 to come in on me within 20 yrds at 10:30 in the am while I was driving t list for a food plot!

Easy with the "you people" stuff, but I've never seen a pig come into a feeder during the daylight outside of South Texas and I have a theory about that.

A pig that comes to a feeder with the sun up is spoiled by a landowner who owns 5,000+ acres, most of which is impenetrable huisache that provides a lot of privacy and prevents effective culling, and hunters who can't be there more than every other weekend during whitetail season and MAYBE twice in the offseason. You're right, it's not a big deal to kill a half-tame feral pig. You will not appreciate how adaptable these animals are and how challenging the hunt can be until you've shot, bayed and trapped them completely off of diurnal activity. Once you start hunting spooky pigs that understand a thing or two about humans you'll get it.

Incidentally, I no longer consider hunting out of a box blind, watching a feeder and overcoming a cocktail of fight-or-flight hormones in order to place an 80 yard shot enough of a challenge (I keep doing it, though).

I might add that the first time you kill a pig with an edged weapon (by hand) it will be a psychologically significant event that puts a bug in you. Also, I've never been SCARED while hunting whitetail.

I got into pig hunting because they turned a beautiful pecan orchard into a mud pit that you couldn't drive across without breaking an axle. During the process of killing as many as I could, I acquired a taste for it. When the drought pushed them off of that property it was definitely a "win", but also a conflict. "Where can I go to kill pigs now?" is not the same as "I want the pigs to come back".

Anyway, I just wanted to be sure you understood something about me before I get thrown into "you people", whoever they are.

Last edited by Holland; 12/20/11 05:42 PM.

www.dogbreathcoyotecalls.com
Custom Calls By Ed Jordan

"Beer has food value, but food has no beer value"
Re: Hog problem [Re: Holland] #2855541 12/20/11 05:55 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I hunt them to do my part and i enjoy it also...walk into tha thicket with a bow and see if it dnt give you a rush when you get face to face with a big nasty boar...no deer has ever made the hair on my neck stand up thats for sure...

Re: Hog problem [Re: Holland] #2855709 12/20/11 06:44 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
"Well I guess since you have never seen it it doesn't happens! I hunt the red and had 20-30 to come in on me within 20 yrds at 10:30 in the am while I was driving t list for a food plot!"

After cooling down a bit I regret the caffeinated nature of my response and it wasn't my intention to imply that it "must not happen if I ain't seen it", but tell me this: were those spoiled pigs that you saw? How much pressure is on them?

Probably not much if they're easy to kill in the daylight.

Last edited by GriffGruff78; 12/20/11 06:49 PM.
Re: Hog problem [Re: GriffGruff78] #2856000 12/20/11 08:23 PM
S
Snared!! Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Hogs are a funny but smart creature. I have a 125 acrea lease, the pond dried up over the summer and eve nthough we are 1/4 a mile from the Little brazos river we did not see a Hog from June-sept.

We it cooled down and the rain started up slightly we have a group of 14, 5,7,3 and a domninant solo boar about 225 lbs plus.

Thats just at my feeder. We have tons of tracks where they slide under the fence to head to our place(no feeders between our lease and the little brazos as the next door land owners do not hunt).We set snares up here and actually do better snaring than anything else.

They are trap smart here. We love to catch in the trap as it is alot funner to pull them out alive and wrangle them up.

Snared you have to shoot them, they are to dangerous to get alive snared.

Agree hog hunting is a blast, if you don't snare, try it. Its a blast!!

Last edited by Snared!!; 12/20/11 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Regular guy 8-5 by day, rednecking by night!
Re: Hog problem [Re: Eastxhuntr] #2856120 12/20/11 09:05 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
(hang in there) A couple of years ago I was saying the same thing... now we trap or kill anywhere from 1 to 8 each time we are down there.

I got a feelin in a couple of more years I'll be cussin um like everyone else but right now I'm lovin it!!!

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Hog problem [Re: cmc] #2856126 12/20/11 09:07 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: cmc
I don't consider deer to be the greatest game animal, above all other creatures like most do. I shoot them because it's deer season, I eat them because I shoot them. I have deer on the wall and will put more if I feel they will look good but I do not trophy hunt and would rather hunt and shoot a pig any day. I don't really use inches of antler to try to prove how good of a hunter I am. Give me oppurtunity and a good hunt that produces a tasty critter. I'll take pigs all day.

up best explaination for the way I feel about it that I ever heard !

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Hog problem [Re: Cougarfoot] #2856244 12/20/11 09:57 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
How can you call hog hunting a challenge. these animals cant see.

i totally agree. there used to be a guy on here that shot a lot of hogs. then one day we found out he had a petting zoo and was whacking them in a pen. sometimes he would run over them in a jeep!

Re: Hog problem [Re: djones] #2856256 12/20/11 10:01 PM
T
texaspatriot.308 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
djones....watch out....he may charge you anytime..

TexasPatriot.308
Re: Hog problem [Re: texaspatriot.308] #2856418 12/20/11 10:59 PM
S
Snared!! Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Hogs can see and hear fine. They dont get spooked like deer because they are king of their domain. They are more tolerant than other game animals.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it lol

Regular guy 8-5 by day, rednecking by night!
Re: Hog problem [Re: Snared!!] #2856910 12/21/11 01:47 AM
T
texaspatriot.308 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I'm around them every day, they spook easy, especially when they wind you. aint ever seen em move so fast. as far as being king of their domain, I got my doubts about that.

TexasPatriot.308
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide