Texas Hunting Forum

Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck

Posted By: DQ Kid

Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/12/21 03:17 AM

Just saw a nice 8-10pt, large bodied velvet buck gnawing on a tree limb coming north on Simmons Rd out of Lake Grapevine entrance near Merle Park. He was in great shape, 4-5yo maybe 18" already and in velvet. Has to be some hosses around that lake...
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/13/21 01:04 AM

Yeah I see them there too, great cover
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/13/21 08:08 PM

That area always has some BIG deer.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/16/21 01:44 AM

Sometimes things are better kept to yourself
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/16/21 02:30 PM

A few years back the CoE was quietly doing a limited number of archery draw hunts on land they have at the far North end of the lake to get the population in check,not sure if they still are.
Some good bucks were taken out of there.
When they first let the hunters on to scout some they found lots of evidence that poachers had been on that land for a few years.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/17/21 05:15 PM

SHHHHHHHHH. With some good ol fashion scouting and time, if you draw a permit it can have rewards
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 02:28 AM

There are a ton of monster bucks in that area. I have seen a few massive non typicals including the biggest buck I’ve ever seen in person between Bob Jones Park and Lake View Park.

These are 2 deer that have been killed on grapevine that made the news. I believe the black and white photo deer was 190”. The other was hit by a truck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 12:49 PM

Wow man nice deer
Posted By: 1955

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 02:04 PM

Awesome pics !
Posted By: BigLou

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 03:24 PM

here is a lousy pic of a buck I saw pushing does about a mile from my house last fall, on the north side of lake grapevine just off Wichita Trail...He was a clean 8, with the widest spread I remember seeing anywhere...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou
here is a lousy pic of a buck I saw pushing does about a mile from my house last fall, on the north side of lake grapevine just off Wichita Trail...He was a clean 8, with the widest spread I remember seeing anywhere...

[Linked Image]

Dang! up

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 05:18 PM

👍👍👍
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 08:47 PM

Wow BigLou, have heard there are turkey out by Cove's Point too
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/26/21 08:52 PM

There are about 20 peeps on the forum cringing right now.. lol

I’m one of them. Draw odds just got lower
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/27/21 12:35 AM

popcorn
Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/27/21 01:26 AM

If I remember the story correctly on the black and white photo, the guy had just started deer hunting and it was the first deer he had ever shot. Possibly his first sit in a bow stand but I can't say for sure that detail is correct.
Posted By: BigLou

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/27/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

sorry, Bobo. I wouldnt have posted that if I thought the hunting was productive on the lake. all the deer I have seen are way east of the huntable area near twin coves where a bunch of the neighbors feed them. I scouted the hunting area a few times by boat, but wasnt impressed.

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/29/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

sorry, Bobo. I wouldnt have posted that if I thought the hunting was productive on the lake. all the deer I have seen are way east of the huntable area near twin coves where a bunch of the neighbors feed them. I scouted the hunting area a few times by boat, but wasnt impressed.

It's all good, after all it's public land. The deer posted aren't the biggest taken out there. I bet half the guys that draw never hunt it more then once because access it tough and it's thick.

It's a pretty special place, I havent been able to draw in a while. In hindsight I can't really do it justice anyway because of taking kids hunting and hunting out west.

If someone draws, I highly recommend putting boots on the ground and toughing it out, a lot of opportunity
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 06/29/21 02:46 PM

I have some "Fight Club" spots. If I bow hunted, this would be one of them. I've seen pic's and met a hunter that took a monster there.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 05:05 AM

After seeing these and other pics I decided to put in my application for this season....and got drawn! Now I need to scout as I have never been in there. I have seen quite a few doe while fishing so this could be interesting!
Posted By: Danny_DeerVito

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 05:52 AM

Shut TF up about grapevine.
The last message is exactly what I’m talking about. Someone getting drawn who has never stepped foot on the property. So many of us have spent years out there on general permit or just fishing and have never gotten drawn. You’re ruining this property.
Delete this post now.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 06:18 AM

Says the beginner duck hunter that will be flaring ducks away from everyone ruining their hunting.....but I wish you good luck anyway. BTW a good kayak would be a sit on 12 to 14' long and wide, around 32" or so for stability

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by bronco71
Says the beginner duck hunter that will be flaring ducks away from everyone ruining their hunting.....but I wish you good luck anyway. BTW a good kayak would be a sit on 12 to 14' long and wide, around 32" or so for stability

Good one, insult someone for trying something new. Keeping to myself, won’t be calling, staying away from others, one duck would be a success for me. Sit on top isn’t the way to go.

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 07:10 AM

After seeing these and other pics I decided to put in my application for this season....and got drawn! Now I need to scout as I have never been in there. I have seen quite a few doe while fishing so this could be interesting!

Don’t even bother hunting it. All the deer frequent areas that are nearly impossible to hunt during daylight. Haven’t seen anything more than a yearly fawn on my scouting trips.

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Danny_DeerVito

Don’t even bother hunting it. All the deer frequent areas that are nearly impossible to hunt during daylight. Haven’t seen anything more than a yearly fawn on my scouting trips.

Lol. You two roflmao

That’s a negative. I’ve never not had a tag out opportunity. May have been a few years I was chasing a dead deer but nonetheless I was passing deer. With that said I also hunted it for many many years, and put a lot of boots on the ground.

Bronco71, if you need some pointers PM me. Becareful with going “over” the Rail Road, Rail Road police are way over zealous
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 06:59 PM

I bought a 270 from the guy in the black and white photo about 11 years ago. He was on THF at the time, IIRC he said it was a lot of work to get back to where he got that monster. Said he knew there were good deer but never expected that.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/18/21 07:03 PM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1880195/1
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Nice Lake Grapevine / Flower Mound Buck - 08/19/21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Danny_DeerVito
Shut TF up about grapevine.
The last message is exactly what I’m talking about. Someone getting drawn who has never stepped foot on the property. So many of us have spent years out there on general permit or just fishing and have never gotten drawn. You’re ruining this property.
Delete this post now.

I've got no dog in this fight because I don't ever plan on deer hunting Grapevine, but it's a large public lake in a vastly populated metropolitan area. It's not exactly like someone just posted about a secret honey hole. Not too mention, in another post, you stated that last year was your first year to ever deer hunt, so you likely didn't spend years scouting it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum