Forums46
Topics543,986
Posts9,804,945
Members87,520
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980652 10/22/09 05:00 PM
J
jaulbert2 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Thanks Wayne for your response. I have read similar posts on this and other forums. My advice to all "newbies" is there are two organizations available in your community that will help you get started. Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited. They are both full of great guys who are willing to help people get started. Find your local chapter and join. You are not going to get the secret decoder ring right a way. You may have to build the relationships with the other members first before they take you hunting. But usually it is a great way to learn the ropes. As far as telling a public forum where the best duck hunting is, is about like telling the public to have their way with your woman. Ain't gonna happen. That's my HONEY HOLE! and I don't want anyone even remotely sniffing around.

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: jaulbert2] #980680 10/22/09 05:09 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Koyote, the smell of spent shotgun shells. How did I miss that one in my post. Evertime I smell that burned powder smell it reminds me of my first dove hunt. A single shot Remington with a hammer.

I haven't seen that gun in about 35 years until the south dove opener. I went with my family to our usual family dove hunt in Freer. Dumber, my brother, brought his grandchildren and one of them was itching to show me the gun he was going to use. He is only 10. I say "Well let's see this shooting iron your sporting". He unzipped the case and you could have knocked me to the ground with a breath of air. Yep it was the first gun I ever shot. I knew every crack in the stock, when I cracked it open it made that very distinct sound that can't ever be erased from my memory. I don't know where the time has gone.

Last edited by WAL1809; 10/22/09 05:09 PM.
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980762 10/22/09 05:38 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
Originally Posted By: james77351
what is the deal with all this BS so what some people don't get out there and scout how many post dose there need to be for you guys to ***** about people asking for help. Last time i looked this site was for people to find mass info about hunting and finding new places to hunt. If you don't want to help guys then don't there is no need to get on here and piss and moan. Im sorry but im new to duck hunting so im going to be asking about all kinds of stuff so don't help me if you don't want to just don't get piss when guys ask because this is what this web site is fore

Hello James welcome to the forum. Ask and you shall recieve. Ask a how to, you got it. Ask when and you got it. Ask a this or that on anything and you go it. Lots of folks on here will help you no problem. Folks just get hot when you start talking about the lakes and spots. It is partly learned and mostly taught. It is just bad ju ju to go around and spewing duck hunting spots to anyone. This forum is easy on the internet scouters. The folks that brought me into this duck hunting were pretty derned nasty about it. Thus for me it was a learned behavior. I learned it and won't ever forget it. That does not mean I am not willing to help folks out, not at all. I have passed on some spots, not the honey hole of course but a good spot. This year I am taking GR to a spot that used to be the honey hole to end all honey holes. You can still kill ducks there but it is ruined so far as honey holes go. Word got out and now it is just a place to go. Not the barrel burner it used to be.

I think of duck hunting differently than most. Most like to go and shoot some ducks. Sure sure I like it too. But duck hunting is not all that for me. I have done it so long now it is like reading a history book in real life. Everywhere I have been comes back to me on those cold mornings in a blind. I remember my past. I remember every detail of my father's hands and the moth ball smell of his green hunting jacket. The fury dumb arse looking hat he used to where. I remember my laboradors from years past, all of the highlight retrieves.

I remember a stand of cotton woods and a flooded hay meadow thick and nasty with green heads dropping in and not firing a shot. Just watching because the next day everyone was coming to the ranch and I didn't want to ruin the hunt. It was a grand one indeed. Much better than if I had selfishly shot a limit and run the hole out.

So ask what you want and your right I will either decide to help you or decide not. If it is a technical question I will answer anything. But if your looking for an easy way out after I spent an entire lifetime building places and memories, then I can't help you. To me it is a tough love. If your new to duck hunting then ball up and become a duck hunter. If you take a short cut then none of the aforementioned things that are dear to me would mean squat to you. You will become a duck shooter and not a duck hunter. If we are tough on you now then you will either fly or bounce. 38 seasons from now you can look back at your own hay meadow surrounded with Cottonwoods and it will mean something to you. If you become a duck shooter you probably won't make it to 38 seasons. I hope you have a great season this year. Please don't take this post as a slam, I have no intentions of butt slamming you. Just adding my opinion to a discussion.

That was solid gold! Great post Wal up

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: TreeBass] #982362 10/23/09 02:43 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I here some of the best duck holes in existance today are the metroplex lakes, you guys should hunt them more! roflmao

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: lakewaydr50] #982559 10/23/09 03:40 AM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Yes, all the ducks are on the Metroplex lakes,

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: FamousAmos] #983017 10/23/09 12:55 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Really, all Texas lakes hold ducks, you just got to scout and find the right spots where the ducks are, preferably lakes and spots with less crowds. Crowds scare off the ducks, that is why it does not make a lick of sense to advertise your hunting areas on internet forums. up

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Guy] #984509 10/24/09 03:09 AM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: Guy
Really, all Texas lakes hold ducks, you just got to scout and find the right spots where the ducks are, preferably lakes and spots with less crowds. Crowds scare off the ducks, that is why it does not make a lick of sense to advertise your hunting areas on internet forums. up
(emphasis added)

Then why did you just tell everyone on the world wide web that every lake in Texas is full o ducks? duel stir confused2

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: kenmorrow] #984563 10/24/09 03:38 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kenmorrow
duel stir

Thanks for posting that otherwise I would not have understood your question. grin

And I said they all "hold" ducks, not "full" of ducks. hammer

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: kenmorrow] #984963 10/24/09 02:52 PM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Guy, I'll cover you on this one. I'm from Louisiana and believe me Texas doens't hold a candle to what I have seen at home. There are probably more ducks in the parish I grew up in at any given time than the entire state of Texas right now.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: lakewaydr50] #985007 10/24/09 03:20 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You can probably add AR and OK to the list as well.

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Guy] #986142 10/25/09 03:41 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
There are no ducks in Oklahoma.
At least that is what they always tell me up there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide