Forums46
Topics543,992
Posts9,805,065
Members87,525
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Sniper John] #979243 10/22/09 12:47 AM
J
joshpin Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
crybabys

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: joshpin] #979257 10/22/09 12:52 AM
S
Stoney Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
i have seen good numbers of ducks and geese on Lewisville at the fishing barge, I think permanent blinds are illegal there though.

BAKEN-ET's Pro Staff
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Stoney] #979325 10/22/09 01:10 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: craigr
i have seen good numbers of ducks and geese on Lewisville at the fishing barge, I think permanent blinds are illegal there though.

thats not going to work for me hammer

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: joshpin] #979532 10/22/09 02:22 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: joshpin
crybabys

Yeah, kinda like the crybabys that work hard and pay taxes only to see it go to the ones that want to sit on their butt and look for the easy button. Call it a redistribution of duck wealth. laugh

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Guy] #979553 10/22/09 02:34 AM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Im not gonna stop internet scouting unless some one gives me gas money to get to the lake to scout. cryWha Whaa Whaaa

Last edited by kdub; 10/22/09 02:35 AM.
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: kdub] #979589 10/22/09 02:47 AM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Good numbers on Bob Sandlin and Cypress Springs in Northeast TX. Get it.

#sigline
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Guy] #979771 10/22/09 03:56 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Guy
crybabys

Yeah, kinda like the crybabys that work hard and pay taxes only to see it go to the ones that want to sit on their butt and look for the easy button. Call it a redistribution of duck wealth. laugh

I cyber scout on my butt a lot to save time and gas. Email and phone contact through controlling and TPWD websites, weather sites, sites for water levels, teraserver, google maps, google earth, satellite, gps coords loaded in advance from same for every likely looking spot. Road accesses noted. Some of the more urban lakes you can even zoom in and count the log jams on the rivers, and grass beds under water. I can see what is around the lakes, rivers, and marsh to find reasons why the ducks should or should not be there. I even do it for out of State stuff like public walk in pheasant hunting areas in Kansas. It really cuts down on the road, ground, water time. That is how you cyberscout, not on internet forums. I know all y'alls spots. I may not have been there, but I have seen them. I will hunt them eventually. I can't be stopped. cool

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Sniper John] #979848 10/22/09 04:48 AM
J
james77351 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
what is the deal with all this BS so what some people don't get out there and scout how many post dose there need to be for you guys to ***** about people asking for help. Last time i looked this site was for people to find mass info about hunting and finding new places to hunt. If you don't want to help guys then don't there is no need to get on here and piss and moan. Im sorry but im new to duck hunting so im going to be asking about all kinds of stuff so don't help me if you don't want to just don't get piss when guys ask because this is what this web site is fore

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: james77351] #979871 10/22/09 05:17 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: james77351
what is the deal with all this BS so what some people don't get out there and scout

I will argue, if you:

1) hunt on the weekends
2) you hunt public
3) you scout hard, and find your own, etc…

You are in the camp of not being an internet blabber mouth..just stating what I believe to be a fact!!! There may be an exception or 2, but for the most part I think I’m correct! These are just simple facts I believe to be correct, don’t kill the fact messenger! grin

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Guy] #979948 10/22/09 07:42 AM
D
DuckKrazy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
wow duck season needs to start fast yall are getting bored i can tell popcorn

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: DuckKrazy] #980080 10/22/09 01:00 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have no problem helping someone, I am just not going to do it on an open forum. Say someone asks about birds on lake travis, and they get a reply that yes you can hunt it and there are a lot of birds. Believe it or not that lake is going to get an influx of people over the next few weeks. Not only did you create a ton of pressure that will ultimately run the birds off, but you also created a ton of competition for yourself and screwed a lot of other hunters in the process.

finding out about lakes is not hard...call the lake office, talk to the rangers and get in your truck to go take a look.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: james77351] #980104 10/22/09 01:14 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
what is the deal with all this BS so what some people don't get out there and scout how many post dose there need to be for you guys to ***** about people asking for help. Last time i looked this site was for people to find mass info about hunting and finding new places to hunt. If you don't want to help guys then don't there is no need to get on here and piss and moan. Im sorry but im new to duck hunting so im going to be asking about all kinds of stuff so don't help me if you don't want to just don't get piss when guys ask because this is what this web site is fore

Hello James welcome to the forum. Ask and you shall recieve. Ask a how to, you got it. Ask when and you got it. Ask a this or that on anything and you go it. Lots of folks on here will help you no problem. Folks just get hot when you start talking about the lakes and spots. It is partly learned and mostly taught. It is just bad ju ju to go around and spewing duck hunting spots to anyone. This forum is easy on the internet scouters. The folks that brought me into this duck hunting were pretty derned nasty about it. Thus for me it was a learned behavior. I learned it and won't ever forget it. That does not mean I am not willing to help folks out, not at all. I have passed on some spots, not the honey hole of course but a good spot. This year I am taking GR to a spot that used to be the honey hole to end all honey holes. You can still kill ducks there but it is ruined so far as honey holes go. Word got out and now it is just a place to go. Not the barrel burner it used to be.

I think of duck hunting differently than most. Most like to go and shoot some ducks. Sure sure I like it too. But duck hunting is not all that for me. I have done it so long now it is like reading a history book in real life. Everywhere I have been comes back to me on those cold mornings in a blind. I remember my past. I remember every detail of my father's hands and the moth ball smell of his green hunting jacket. The fury dumb arse looking hat he used to where. I remember my laboradors from years past, all of the highlight retrieves.

I remember a stand of cotton woods and a flooded hay meadow thick and nasty with green heads dropping in and not firing a shot. Just watching because the next day everyone was coming to the ranch and I didn't want to ruin the hunt. It was a grand one indeed. Much better than if I had selfishly shot a limit and run the hole out.

So ask what you want and your right I will either decide to help you or decide not. If it is a technical question I will answer anything. But if your looking for an easy way out after I spent an entire lifetime building places and memories, then I can't help you. To me it is a tough love. If your new to duck hunting then ball up and become a duck hunter. If you take a short cut then none of the aforementioned things that are dear to me would mean squat to you. You will become a duck shooter and not a duck hunter. If we are tough on you now then you will either fly or bounce. 38 seasons from now you can look back at your own hay meadow surrounded with Cottonwoods and it will mean something to you. If you become a duck shooter you probably won't make it to 38 seasons. I hope you have a great season this year. Please don't take this post as a slam, I have no intentions of butt slamming you. Just adding my opinion to a discussion.

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980135 10/22/09 01:29 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
clap flehan

Wal nailed it. There are Duck hunters, and duck shooters.

A duck hunter would never get on a forum, and ask for an easy way.

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980148 10/22/09 01:34 PM
B
BMowatt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
well stated Wal

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Sniper John] #980219 10/22/09 02:11 PM
R
Rebel. Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: Guy
crybabys

I cyber scout on my butt a lot to save time and gas. Email and phone contact through controlling and TPWD websites, weather sites, sites for water levels, teraserver, google maps, google earth, satellite, gps coords loaded in advance from same for every likely looking spot. Road accesses noted. Some of the more urban lakes you can even zoom in and count the log jams on the rivers, and grass beds under water. I can see what is around the lakes, rivers, and marsh to find reasons why the ducks should or should not be there. I even do it for out of State stuff like public walk in pheasant hunting areas in Kansas. It really cuts down on the road, ground, water time. That is how you cyberscout, not on internet forums. I know all y'alls spots. I may not have been there, but I have seen them. I will hunt them eventually. I can't be stopped. cool

I do the same thing, but I don't duck hunt...

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: BMowatt] #980225 10/22/09 02:13 PM
T
txninja Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
wal, 2 thumbs up from me

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980226 10/22/09 02:13 PM
P
panama Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

I remember a stand of cotton woods and a flooded hay meadow thick and nasty with green heads dropping in and not firing a shot. Just watching because the next day everyone was coming to the ranch and I didn't want to ruin the hunt. It was a grand one indeed. Much better than if I had selfishly shot a limit and run the hole out.

So ask what you want and your right I will either decide to help you or decide not. If it is a technical question I will answer anything. But if your looking for an easy way out after I spent an entire lifetime building places and memories, then I can't help you. To me it is a tough love. If your new to duck hunting then ball up and become a duck hunter. If you take a short cut then none of the aforementioned things that are dear to me would mean squat to you. You will become a duck shooter and not a duck hunter. If we are tough on you now then you will either fly or bounce. 38 seasons from now you can look back at your own hay meadow surrounded with Cottonwoods and it will mean something to you. If you become a duck shooter you probably won't make it to 38 seasons. I hope you have a great season this year. Please don't take this post as a slam, I have no intentions of butt slamming you. Just adding my opinion to a discussion.

That right there is the epitome of what it is all about. EVERYONE take a good hard look and re-read if ya need to what Wayne just posted. It could not have been put any better than that. That is the problem with not only new duckhunters but the society we live in as a whole these days---EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR INSTANT GRATIFICATION!!!

There are no shortcuts to this sport. If you are looking for a shortcut, then you are just wanting to be a shooter like was stated. If you pay attn, are willing to put in the time and learn something, you might just make it to the next level which is the thrill of the chase, not just the weight of the strap. You got 8 years afiled on me Wayne as this is my 30th taking to the water, and I too can appreciate everything besides pulling the trigger which , to me, is only 1% of my hunt. The other 99% is the preparation, scouting and learning. Anyone that has it the other way around needs to to find another sport , IMO.

Excellent post , Wayne!! flehan

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: panama] #980237 10/22/09 02:16 PM
R
roadgoeson20 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Wayne,

Can you refrain from scaring folks with all the talk of "butt slamming"?
grin

Great post bud.

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: roadgoeson20] #980249 10/22/09 02:20 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I bet wayne is sitting at his office licking his chops over some sweet arse right now banana

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: garrett] #980427 10/22/09 03:22 PM
J
james77351 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Wayne i have to say you slammed my butt! and after reading your post it got me to thinking. I come form a very small town down south called Sargent we used to call it Texas's best kept secret. The fishing was the best and now just about every one in Houston knows about it. So i get were your coming from and don't get me wrong i have been out scouting my self trying to learn the game. I understand that you dont want to give up ypur best spots to anyone and i would never ask anyone to but im sure there are guys out there that are like me dont have a fast boat and dont know were to start. so keep in mind we are all brothers on the lake and in the woods
James

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: james77351] #980441 10/22/09 03:27 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I know the area very well. I have hunted there a lot. PM me and I can send you to a decent area it just doe not hold a lot of birds all the time. I have not hunted the area for a long time but it is a place to go and with work you can find some birds. If your from Sergeant you know about Chinquapin. I used to stay on Live Oak bayou just about every weekend for a few years running. Every time a barge would co down the intercoastal it would suck the water out of Live Oak. It created a fake tidal movement and the trout would go ballistic. It was unfair to say the least (for the trout). As soon as the water settlesd after the barge they would turn off like a light switch. You just had to make another drink and wait for another barge.

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980464 10/22/09 03:37 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
95% of the post on this forum are questions or opinions about gear, pictures of hunts, and techinques.

That's what a new guy can take from here.

Asking whether or not the hunting is any good at Sam Rayburn or Ray Roberts is pointless and will draw some comments.

The truth is that someone could tell you exactly where to go, but if you don't have the know-how, you're not going to kill them anyway.

The only way to learn is to get out there, scout, try different setups, etc. and figure it out for yourself.

Good Luck

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980509 10/22/09 03:53 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Wayne - you did well on the post and it is absolutely true and it goes for just about any type hunting of any species.

My grandfather and dad had locations for flounder gigging that when I was growing up, we kept our mouths shut because anyone could hammer those spots, but it wasn't a kept secret, but most giggers didn't frequent those areas. Common sense would have brought anyone to those spots to check out...I could never figure those folks out and flounder boats weren't even on the scene back then.

Same as duck hunting, we duck hunted off of Jones Lake in Galveston Co. before reaching West Bay in the back marsh. The marsh back then wasn't subsiding and/or losing precious spartina/marsh grass areas either. Only a handful of hunters hunted that particular area, that was back in the mid-60's-early 70's and you could hunt right out of a boat, not worry about decoys that were thrown out of it laying on their side and the brush-vegetation didn't have to blend in with the marsh grass either...ducks just fell in!

I have seen major changes in many areas (fewer ducks, loss of habitat, more hunters, less experienced hunters, more skybusters, more advanced shotgun shells, higher prices, shotguns, etc.) and it is about how you experience the hunt and not what you take. I do miss those days duck & goose hunting with my father and grandfather, the smell of a fresh fired shotgun shell, stepping into the marsh for the first time and getting that whiff of marsh-muck, the salt air, etc. and I hold those moments with me each time I hunt or mentor an inspiring hunter into the outdoors to pass along those experiences.

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: wal1809] #980533 10/22/09 04:05 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

Hello James welcome to the forum. Ask and you shall recieve. Ask a how to, you got it. Ask when and you got it. Ask a this or that on anything and you go it. Lots of folks on here will help you no problem. Folks just get hot when you start talking about the lakes and spots. It is partly learned and mostly taught. It is just bad ju ju to go around and spewing duck hunting spots to anyone. This forum is easy on the internet scouters. The folks that brought me into this duck hunting were pretty derned nasty about it. Thus for me it was a learned behavior. I learned it and won't ever forget it. That does not mean I am not willing to help folks out, not at all. I have passed on some spots, not the honey hole of course but a good spot. This year I am taking GR to a spot that used to be the honey hole to end all honey holes. You can still kill ducks there but it is ruined so far as honey holes go. Word got out and now it is just a place to go. Not the barrel burner it used to be.

I think of duck hunting differently than most. Most like to go and shoot some ducks. Sure sure I like it too. But duck hunting is not all that for me. I have done it so long now it is like reading a history book in real life. Everywhere I have been comes back to me on those cold mornings in a blind. I remember my past. I remember every detail of my father's hands and the moth ball smell of his green hunting jacket. The fury dumb arse looking hat he used to where. I remember my laboradors from years past, all of the highlight retrieves.

Very nice Wayne! up Way to smooth things over with a touch of class. You gotta come up hunt with us this year. There is definitely green in the forecast. cheers

Re: For the love of God scout your damn self....... [Re: Gdogg] #980615 10/22/09 04:41 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hey GOdogg, I heard there are no ducks in Central Texas banana But if there are ducks or no ducks I would loe to come up and throw out some deeks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide