Forums46
Topics538,059
Posts9,732,547
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anybody see BSA Green laser flashlight [Re: colt45-90] #1213673 02/02/10 02:08 AM
F
FantasticChadwick Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
OK, first field use report...

Pre-hunt:
Read extensively about some of the problems with the unit. Read also some ways people were coping with the problems. By far the biggest problem seems to be the unit fails when subjected to mildly cold conditions (maybe below 50 degrees?). One thing that I read about was wrapping the light with hand warmers....

Hunting - Night one:
between 30 and 40 degrees...
Before departing to the field I wrapped my ND3 with 4 hand warmers and taped and bundled it up as best I could while still allowing access to the focus ring. We hiked 3/4 mile to the "bunker" (as we call it). Upon reaching the bunker and assessing that there were no hogs yet present at our bait we decided to try out the laser. I pointed the rifle toward our bait which was about 70 yards out and I activated the switch.

nothing.

wtf???

Pointed the rifle at a nearby (3 yards) cedar bush and there was a faint green glow. Well f**k!

The $29.99 red spotlight from Academy took over as our illumination device (although we really didnt need one anyway with the full moon and the 50mm Leupold scope I have on my rifle).

Hunting - night two:
between 35 and 25 degrees....
Before departing to the field I removed the ND3 from it's mount on my rifle, wrapped it again in fresh hand warmers, taped and bundled it up and this time tucked it into the inner pocket of my jumpsuit. where it could sit and get nice and toasty until needed.
This worked a LOT better than having it rifle mounted. On the rifle the heaters couldn't keep up with the cold, but tucked in my pocket was enough for the heat to build. I'm beginning to suspect the unit experiences the same kind of failure if it gets too warm also as my beam became inconsistent when it was hot. After being out for 10 or 15 minutes it had cooled down enough to work properly.

My synopsis:
Don't waste your money unless you want a cool gadget to play with as a toy and not a hunting accessory. This light MIGHT work in "ideal" conditions, but all in all it requires far too much user tampering and attention to be worth anything on a real hunt. I have better things to do while I'm hunting than to be constantly checking to see if my illumination mechanism is too cold or too hot.
I'm going to experiment a little with making a more reliable "container" for it that might keep it happy enough to be useful on a hunt while still being rifle mounted. I've got a few ideas I'm going to toy with like using a combination of parts from battery powered heated socks and neoprene. We'll see if I come up with anything. It'll probably be a project I don't work on aggressively until a few months from now.

All in all I think this company either did NO field testing of this product, or they knew about the problem and just very falsely advertised it. For that simple reason alone, I would encourage anyone reading this to not buy one.

DEBRA MEDINA for TEXAS GOVERNOR 2010!! Go VOTE in the primaries, people, and we can TAKE BACK TEXAS!!
Re: Anybody see BSA Green laser flashlight [Re: colt45-90] #1214470 02/02/10 03:06 PM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I got to handle a ND5 at night last Weds. Man, when they are working they're pretty slick. Problem is, the guy who owns it says nearly every animal he's spotlighted with it reacted and some bolted. He owns his own guide service and specializes in night-time hog hunts and I tend to trust him since he really puts his gear through the paces. Too bad too, I wanted one.

Re: Anybody see BSA Green laser flashlight [Re: huntandfish] #1407641 05/05/10 04:03 PM
B
Blue Dog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I bought one, with fantasies of hog hunting in the dark. I have not tried it in the cold, but it has great beam quality. The problem I have had is the mount. My first one broke in two days and the second one is nearly broken. Further, They are not adjustable enough to fix the parallax issues. Thus it is dead on at 50 yards 6 inches low at 100 and useless much further. I can still diffuse the beam to illuminate my field of view, but the pointer is low. I suspect this problem is not just limited to the two I have used.

Blue Dog
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide