Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Greg] #921189 09/22/09 10:20 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Greg
Just get there early and have fun. GHEEEESH

I wish that is all you had to do was get there early, can't tell ya how many times I got there early just to have a circus of Barneys set-up all around me 15 minutes befor legal. You are right tho about the having fun part, might as well not get worked up about it and just enjoy the show!!

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #921195 09/22/09 10:22 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Unfortunately you can't control people being rude and sitting up on top of you.... but you sure can beat them to the spot.

Or do what you did and go get you a sweet set up on private land. Can't wait to see the pics from your camera this year Guy. up

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Greg] #921197 09/22/09 10:24 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Lets at least make it to 6 pages. I would say this has been pretty good, almost 6 pages and nobody called anyone a DBag lake namer. Not bad.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #921204 09/22/09 10:27 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Then you are not figuring in hunting pressure into your scouting Guy. Your hunting in the wrong place! With experience you learn to stay away from such places and times. New ducks coming into an area might use those areas at first, but once they get educated to a gauntlet of hunters, even they learn to stop hunting for food in those places too.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: wal1809] #921206 09/22/09 10:28 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You are such a DBag WAL1809 clap bolt

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Greg] #921219 09/22/09 10:34 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Greg is the lake naming dbagger that is skipping out on the THF GTG at Two Rows in favor of the Pink concert tomorrow night bolt

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Greg] #921272 09/22/09 10:58 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
You are such a DBag WAL1809 clap bolt

Can't I get a little better title, like THFDBAG. Kind of like a street name. up

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kdub] #921359 09/22/09 11:42 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: kdub
Could yall please keep the lake naming to private messages? Im sure that when you put in alot of time to scout a place the last thing you want is some guy to talk about it on the internet. Im not saying not to help people out, cuz thats what it's about but dont do it on the world wide freakin' web.

crying

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Greg] #921559 09/23/09 01:13 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Unfortunately you can't control people being rude and sitting up on top of you.... but you sure can beat them to the spot.

No,you just got to go on Barney patrol after you get your deeks set-up. It takes 2 people, one walks 150 yards or so down one bank, and the other goes the other direction 150 yards, and you each have a super trillion candlepower spot light so you can light-up any barneys that get close.

This works, it sucks you have to do this, because you want to sit in your blind after you set-up your deeks, sip on your coffee, and shoot the bs. But that is the price you pay for hunting some hot publics spots, especially when the lake has been advertized on internet forums. laugh bolt

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #921772 09/23/09 02:40 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Yep been there Guy, and it really helps when there is 4 of you. We have also set up a couple lanterns in the boat before. Those things are bright as hell on the water; work just as good if not better than a spotlight.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: FowlDreams] #921927 09/23/09 03:32 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Yep been there Guy, and it really helps when there is 4 of you. We have also set up a couple lanterns in the boat before. Those things are bright as hell on the water; work just as good if not better than a spotlight.

Thing is with a spotlight, you can light them up like a popsicle, when you see them putting their hands infront of their eyes because you are blinding them, they have no choice but to leave.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: FowlDreams] #921940 09/23/09 03:39 AM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: FowlDreams

Don't do that here on "Lake X". Dumb a$$ guides will blow though your deeks and still set-up 75 yards away. Personal experience soap

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Ridn9high] #922032 09/23/09 04:19 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
i thought someone had discovered a new lake in texas and wanted to know what everyone thought he should name his new discovery...
confused hammer

I was going with Lake C. Norris.... confused2

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Rowney] #922068 09/23/09 04:41 AM
P
pigpen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Isnt it about time to lock this thread? popcorn

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: pigpen] #922153 09/23/09 05:55 AM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Hmmm...let's see if I can recall all the random things I'm supposed to respond to:

1. Last time I hunted public was last Thursday.

2. "Put on your big boy pants..." Yes...yes I do talk like this in person. But I'm smilin' and handing you a beer. So most men don't get upset about it...that is, of course, unless they're sissies. LOL

3. A few of y'all have hit on 1 corner of this each, but allow me to put it together: most of the guys who get all wrapped around the axle about who says what to whom about where they're hunting and such nonsense have duck hunting decals and/or camo on their trucks and an exterior dog box they leave sitting at the launches all day, post pics of straps o ducks all over the web braggin' about how they're slayin' ducks wherever they go, etc. And they think that by not saying "Cedar Creek" or "Neches River" or "White Oak Creek" they are stealthy as a duck huntin' ninja. That's a big part of why I find this funny. This ain't my first rodeo fellas. I've been at this stuff for quite some time. If you really care, get rid of all the Great White Hunter stuff that Barney really DOES key in on. Cuz Barney's driving to the launch where he finds the highest concentration of those fellas' rigs and following the sound of gunfire at first light and/or the spotlights 1/2 hour before shooting time. Think gang: we all do this when running late in reverse! We check the parking area to see how many and who came off that ramp. Then we check the lights as we're transiting to see where folks are already set up so we can avoid them and choose an open spot. Barney just does it with the opposite motivation. So go "stealth." Get rid of the truck junk. And get in early and turn off the lights once you're set. Only flash them briefly if another hunter is heading into your spot. I see folks sitting there all the time with flood/spotlights blaring while they listen to music and drink coffee and cook breakfast and stuff after getting set up. And then they wonder why folks are setting up on top of them. Well, heck! You're a lighthouse in the foggy night for every Barney on the lake! And he thinks you know what you're doing.

4. Newcomers should not feel intimidated about asking questions on a migratory bird hunting forum! That's my BIG problem with this stuff. This forum exists first and foremost for the purpose of the sharing of hunting info. So anyone coming here and complaining that folks are sharing info is sort of like the church ladies showing up at a nudist colony and then complaining because of the lack of modesty.

5. As Sniper John said, if Barney is ruining your hunts by setting up on you, you're hunting in the wrong spots. And that's probably because you don't know of enough good spots or want to work hard enough to get in/out of good spots. Trust me, Barney ain't gonna hike in 2 hours in the dark w/2 dozen decoys, a gear bag, waders, and a shotgun! He ain't likely to hop levees in his boat, either. He's equally unlikely to portage a canoe or kayak more than about 5 feet. And if he ever saw me wading through a brushy creek bottom pulling/pushing a boat for a 1/2 mile because the channel's too shallow to run the motor, he'd swear I was insane!

6. Of course if you tell anyone...on-line, on the phone, in person, via email, via mail, via pony express, in smoke signals...where you're having good hunting (of any kind), you're going to find company over time. That includes private land, gang! You have to enforce lease rights, trespassing laws, and private property rights. Folks that have no respect or pride just have none...period. If you take folks with you, just figure eventually someone is coming back without you. People suck. You do have to be smart about what you do/don't say. My original point stands: there's a huge difference between saying Sam Rayburn or Lake Fork and saying something like "that big lilly pad cove at the far __________ end of Lake ____________ past ________ road bridge with all that dead timber standing in it." For someone to say they've had good luck in past years during the Holiday Season when the river is out of the banks between Tawakoni and Longview on the Sabine River ain't hurting anybody and IS helping out-of-staters and newcomers. It gives them a general idea of where to start looking, scouting, educating themselves without spoiling all that fun for them or putting them on anybody's honey hole. That's only about 60-70 miles of river that floods about 1-2 miles wide in a good year! LOL

Do you want to get away from Barney and get on the real X? Or do you actually just want to find some comfy spots that are pretty good when Barney don't show up and gripe about the days he does? I do both. But I know what choice I've made when I make it. So there's no sense in complaining about it when I get snake bit.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kenmorrow] #922576 09/23/09 02:43 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kenmorrow
most of the guys who get all wrapped around the axle about who says what to whom about where they're hunting and such nonsense have duck hunting decals and/or camo on their trucks and an exterior dog box they leave sitting at the launches all day, post pics of straps o ducks all over the web braggin' about how they're slayin' ducks wherever they go, etc.

Oh, I think that is a bunch of BS, I think you just disagree with what you describe above, so this is just a convenience way at taking a shot at “that bunch”. There is zero correlation from what you describe above and lake namers vs non-lake namers, what you discribe above you will find them equally in both groups. You will also find guys that scout their butt off in both groups. up

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #922775 09/23/09 04:02 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
think what you will. i've got sponsor logos all over my truck because that's part of the contract...an occupational hazard.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kenmorrow] #923110 09/23/09 06:59 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I don't know where you came from Ken, but I don't think you will find the type of competition for duck hunting spots that we are talking about in El Paso.

I figured, hey this guy has some strong takes, I'll click on his link.....

Who exactly do you write for since you are an "outdoor journalist?" All I can find is some blogs for that ranch that you're advertising. Nice stripper video.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Moose K] #923271 09/23/09 07:53 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
This sucks I am at work and can't click on the stripper video realmad

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: wal1809] #923288 09/23/09 08:01 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

I think we are about to remove that link rifle

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: TreeBass] #923340 09/23/09 08:26 PM
D
Duck Em' Woodie! Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Stripper video?? Now you got my attention

I got a woodie! Whoo Hoo
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Duck Em' Woodie!] #923343 09/23/09 08:26 PM
D
Duck Em' Woodie! Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
lol it is a hilarious video

I got a woodie! Whoo Hoo
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Duck Em' Woodie!] #923363 09/23/09 08:37 PM
J
james77351 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
haha the video is funny

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: TreeBass] #923488 09/23/09 09:35 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Originally Posted By: WAL1809

I think we are about to remove that link rifle

Don't remove it TreeBass.... .HAHAHAHAHAHAAH That has got to be the funniest thing ever. Poor girl... just trying to shake what her momma gave her and find a song she likes to dance to. BAGHAHAWAWWAAAA!!!! Watch out for that chest of drawers....

AYE CRAUMBA!!!!

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Moose K] #923603 09/23/09 10:25 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Moose,

I grew up over in East Texas, went to school at SMU, spent several years chasing bad guys around the world for Uncle Sam, then came back to East Texas. Started in the waterfowl hunting biz there and have worked in AR, MO, IL, KS, ND, SD, and Argentina.

My wife's in the Army. And we're at Ft. Bliss now.

I write 2 blogs, the fly fishing column for Newsvine.com, which is syndicated to NBC Sports, MSNBC, and espn.com, the sporadic freelance magazine article (but they don't pay enough to mess with anymore), and have appeared on ESPN Sportscenter, Outdoor Channel, and Sportsman Channel in the past 24 months. I've also got a chapter coming out in a major outdoor adventure non-fiction coffee table book about Christmas time and I'm about finished with my next book: The Adaptive Fly Fishing Handbook. And I do a LOT of copy writing for sporting goods companies and freelance editing for authors, webmasters, and sporting goods companies.

Try this link: www.kenmorrow.net

Yeah, the "stripper" video is actually some girl in her bedroom dancing for her webcam in her undies who has an unfortunate accident with a large credenza. Funniest thing I've seen in a LONG time! You know that had to leave a mark!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide