Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #917921 09/21/09 04:03 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Guy
I have not been duck hunting that long, went on my first duck hunt 2003, a friend showed me that spot. After that, I found all my own spots as a rookie. Over the last 6 years, I have been shown a few spots by friends, but that is a drop in the bucket to all the spots I found on my own. The only reason I hunt public is the challenge of finding the ducks thru scouting. If you are not willing to scout and put the work in, then that tells me you are just a shooter and not a waterfowler. I would never go on a forum asking for information on where to kill ducks,. never have and never will, I got more pride than that. But that is just me.

My son was telling me the other day how you can get on the internet and find all the “codes” to unlock features on some of his x-box games vs earning it with high scores etc... I said “why you want to do that? That is cheating.” That’s the problem with today’s kids, they are all looking for the easy button.

I known, here come all the posts “I was not looking for a specific spot, just some direction”, yeah yeah whatever..

Yea Yea Whatever?
Guy, your preaching to the choir, or talking to yourself, not sure which. But I agree with everything you just said.
What you just posted has nothing to do with the discussion. Your not talking about LAKE NAMEING. Your talking about something entirely different. Kdub's post was on the 17th. I briefly looked back a couple pages from the 17th to a few days before Teal season. I only spent a couple minutes on this so I may have missed one or two. But here is what started this and is similar to what always starts this. No spots posted or given, no codes for unlocking duck locations. There is no sensitive information here that should ruin anyones hunt. Every one of these discussions is in the spirit of what this internet forum is about IMO.

What is the safest place to hunt lavon because people get crazy.
His responses where away from the walk in access areas.

The 1st Annual Lake Ray Roberts Ducks Unlimited Banquet Post

Went to Choke Canyon on the 12th....lets say that I was very disappointed
Responses about DU TV episode and no rain no duck food responses.

I made a post where I started at "ray bob" and ended at "the border lake"
JJ and Yentzen have similar posts where you know where we hunted by putting it
together with our location. Like "lake north", "the red".

a post let someone know you can't hunt on
Town or Ladybird Lake, Lake Austin, Lake Travis, LBJ, Marble Falls, Buchanan

and there were a couple posts that mentioned teal near cities. Pilot Point, San Angelo
I suppose one could tell what lake is near, but nothing more.

someone asked if anyone else got a permit for Lake Grapevine, but that is all the
discussion was about. Draw is over so If you don't your not hunting it anyway.

And then I posted some scouting pictures from the Kiamechi river in oklahoma
where we discussed wood storks and someone said they probably came from
Little River NWR

------------------------------------------------------------

The easy button is not this forum. Bay far not this forum. Take any one of those lake names above
and type it into Google or any other search engine. What the State, individual controlling authorities, DU, google earth, Outdoor writers, etc. provide is the easy button. When people ask about a lake on this forum, they are actually going about it the hard way. Because they are not getting much info here compared to what is out there.
Again, look above at the summary of posts. Why be dissing them?

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #917947 09/21/09 04:18 PM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Like John said, I have very rarely seen any specific information given out on here.

I can only remember one from last year where a fella shot some ducks at Sam Rayburn and posted that info....

Sam Rayburn is a HUGE lake....

Funny deal from last year:

I was way back in a cove and when I drove out I saw a guy and his dog set up in a layout blind. I was wondering if he was going to pop his head out, b/c the only way out was literally 10 ft. from his decoy spread.

Later on that day, he posted some pictures and we had a laugh about it via PM.

We decided that when we go back to that area, we'll just hunt together.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Moose K] #917976 09/21/09 04:32 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
And if I remember the Sam Rayburn post turned out to be bogus. Someone noticed all the green foliage and he was called out on it. Then he stopped posting. Goes back to one of my other statements. When sensitive information IS posted it is almost always someone trolling.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #918031 09/21/09 05:04 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
When sensitive information IS posted it is almost always someone trolling.

Sensitive to you, and sensitive to someone else is not the same. Your view of "sensitive" is naming a specific spot, others it is naming a lake, others it is naming a region, others it is showing a pic….

BTW John, I’m just making a statement, not arguing with you. I’m done arguing with you on this topic, I realize that is pointless 2 seasons ago. grin

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #918044 09/21/09 05:10 PM
K
KevinT. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I dont see where there is any problem asking or telling that yes you can hunt on Lake XXX and/or contact the controlling authorties @ so & so number, if someone asks about the rules for hunting a particular lake, let's just say "Fork" (since it is public and has NO ducks) I dont understand why they get jumped on and hammered so hard, the lake is huge, you still have to go there and spend time scouting and find the areas that seem to be holding ducks etc. No harm or foul in giving out the way to "discover" the rules for hunting that body of water.

On the flip side if it is a small lake and easily diagnosed as to where the ducks would be, I could see where some would be offended.

But most of the questions from us new Duck hunters seem to be about the major lakes.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: KevinT.] #918071 09/21/09 05:24 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Flwdonater
I dont see where there is any problem asking or telling that yes you can hunt on Lake XXX and/or contact the controlling authorties @ so & so number, if someone asks about the rules for hunting a particular lake, let's just say "Fork" (since it is public and has NO ducks) I dont understand why they get jumped on and hammered so hard, the lake is huge, you still have to go there and spend time scouting and find the areas that seem to be holding ducks etc. No harm or foul in giving out the way to "discover" the rules for hunting that body of water.

On the flip side if it is a small lake and easily diagnosed as to where the ducks would be, I could see where some would be offended.

But most of the questions from us new Duck hunters seem to be about the major lakes.

Some think just like you, but many don’t. Some don’t see any issue with posting specific spots with GPS coordinates, while others think you should not discuss anything about killing ducks on a forum. Everyone has an opinion as I said before, especially on this topic, views are very fragmented, that is why it is debated so much.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #918097 09/21/09 05:37 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Not arguing with you either bro, just fun debate. You know I enjoy this one and always look forward to it every year.

Yea, those 10 posts I summarized above, I do understand is sensitive to some, not arguing that. I am saying that that information should not be sensitive to them and I am trying to explain why.

Take the ones in our area you and me that are mentioned in the above posts. Roberts, Texoma, Lavon, Grapevine.

These lakes are surrounded by over what is it, 6 million or 9 million people. We see newspaper reports on them constantly, people fish in them, swim and drown in them, water ski on them, party on them, drive over them. If you live in the DFW area and do not know they exist, then you are in a coma IMO.

And the other part again, you can't stop the information highway. Those lakes have been on maps since the day they were built. And those maps are online. And there is even a hunting map online for each of those lakes. Blasting the guy who wants to scout Lavon, but is worried because he hears there are crazys out there is not going to change that.

And in fact the discussion turned into how those in boats should pay attention to the walk in accesses. It was good advice for any public lake that will benefit all boat hunters that had not previously thought of that. There was no sensitive Lavon hunting information in that post.

And again it goes back to respect. Respecting each others opinion even if it is different. Because there is no right or wrong line in the sand. The First Amendment and the THF rules allow each to be his own man on this subject.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #918171 09/21/09 06:03 PM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
worthless

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: cable] #918425 09/21/09 07:53 PM
P
pigpen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
And its not just about naming the lakes on here. Your buddy, Ray Sasser, of the Dallas Morning News, goes to the effort of putting together a Top 5 Spots for public waterfowl hunting every year. It is the same article every year. And i used to hunt several of those aforementioned areas he lists as Top 5 many moons ago. Guess what? They all suck now, and you will see more hunters than dux on them. Ray is my hero. What a freakin genius. dunce

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: pigpen] #918486 09/21/09 08:18 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: pigpen
And its not just about naming the lakes on here. Your buddy, Ray Sasser, of the Dallas Morning News, goes to the effort of putting together a Top 5 Spots for public waterfowl hunting every year. It is the same article every year. And i used to hunt several of those aforementioned areas he lists as Top 5 many moons ago. Guess what? They all suck now, and you will see more hunters than dux on them. Ray is my hero. What a freakin genius. dunce

Bingo!!! He got one of the spots I hunted for years. It ruined the spot.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: wal1809] #918607 09/21/09 09:38 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
Originally Posted By: pigpen

Bingo!!! He got one of the spots I hunted for years. It ruined the spot.

I'm looking for a "This thread is worthless without GPS Coordinates [or a link to the article]" smiley but I can't find it confused2

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Dave Speer] #918626 09/21/09 09:47 PM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Dave Speer] #918664 09/21/09 10:08 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Google
duck hot spot by ray sasser

Bingo X2, Why I say a guy on an obsure internet forum who dropped a name of a lake is a small fish compared to stuff like that. Ray did give some sensitive information. But that is his job and I seriously doubt he effected it other than short term with the information and certainly did not effect them long term just by revealing they exist.

One is Texoma which is known to most every outdoorsman in the US due to it's Striper fishery. The other four are APH WMAs and everyone that buys an APH permit gets the book. The APH hunting maps are online too. And TPWD pushes those WMAs for not just hunter participation but for all user participation. They want to sell as many APH permits as possible. They need hunter participation to survive. Too, probably the #1 forum response when people ask about moving to an area and where to begin is to buy that permit. Think about it, that gives up a whole lot more than a single lake name.

The article includes words with those places like being "uncomfortably crowded with hunters creating a potentially frustrating experience". Why, because they are public, not secret, and the beans were spilled long ago to promote participation.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #918777 09/21/09 11:14 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Not so says the fat man. I am talking about specific information was given about the town, where to launch and what direction to find the spot. Very specific. It was an overnight change. It was a spot that was a very well kept secret. Yes it was public, NO I DON'T OWN IT, yes everyone is allowed to go to it. The people that hunted it were very respectful to the spot and the sport. We did not speak to each other nor did we have to to show great amounts of respect. If we happened to be close at all then we would check their spread before working birds and vice versa. Now it is arse clown city. That is why I am apposed to lake naming or anything close to it. I just don't like it because I have seen first hand what can and will happen. If I find a good amount of birds then I keep my mouth shut. If someone wants a spot to go then pm me I can tell you where you can go. It aint no smokin hot pot of birds but you will have a decent hunt.

Last edited by WAL1809; 09/21/09 11:14 PM.
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: wal1809] #918820 09/21/09 11:40 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Ray Sasser named his access rd used to walk into a lake.

The dude has no class, and no respect for others.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: ducknbass] #918851 09/21/09 11:59 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I did not see that in the article in question, but I do not doubt he has written such things. In that regard, I agree with wal1809 that it would mess up that spot, but again it is not what this discussion was about. Nor is it what happens on this forum. I backs up my position that outdoor writers, fish and game departments, organizations like DU, etc. are what creates those problems. Not the guy who is simply asking if you can hunt on lake X or the guy who said he did or did not kill a duck on lake x, or someone like JJ who posted a picture from "the red". It is because of the big media and game departments you have to figure hunting pressure into your scouting and hunting just as you would figure in changing weather and water levels. The dynamics of a specific hunting spot changes from year to year, sometimes from day to day, and sometimes forever for many reasons including hunting pressure. It was that way with public land even before the internet. But now with the internet super highway it is even more important because you will never stop it.

This discussion started about just mentioning a lake name in a post. The posts in the weeks before this started mentioned nothing more. Everyone always wants to turn it into a discussion about revealing specific spots or other sensitive information. It just does not happen here folks!

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: ducknbass] #918854 09/22/09 12:00 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
oh yeah I did not read all this topic. I was just tooting my own horn.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: ducknbass] #918887 09/22/09 12:15 AM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Okay Guys lets keep this thread on track, and not a bash Ray Sasser thread. Thanks

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: ducknbass] #918889 09/22/09 12:16 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
oh yeah I did not read all this topic. I was just tooting my own horn.

Welcome to the party!

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: ducknbass] #918901 09/22/09 12:23 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
It is exactly what this post is about. If I told you the name of the place you could google it and know exactly where to go in less than 30 seconds. You have it in your maps but I guarantee you couldn't find it if you had to because some key pieces of information had been left out until it got blabbed to Barney and the other 200 friends.

What is the insatiable need to give out any information on the internet, telephone or however? I don't get it. What is it that makes a person so intent on passing on this information?

You say it makes no difference to give out a lake name. Lets do a test. Give me the name of a lake that is dear to your heart because of its solitude, its ability to hold birds through the season and everything we look for in a lake that we as hunters are scouting for.

Be honest and give the best you got. Give it to me and without leaving the house I can research my old maps (Which I call my life history) and google earth. I can nail down where your hunting within a few guesses. That is without leaving the house. Put me on that lake in a boat and my maps and the downloads from google earth and I will be in your lap.

So post up your sweet spots and let me go to work on it.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: wal1809] #918919 09/22/09 12:30 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Ray Roberts,
I was the sole hunter representative at the ribbon cutting. I have been hunting it ever since and because I do my homework, I have never had a hunt that I felt was ruined by someone else.

But again you back me up with that. I said the same thing you are already. The point is if you live in the metroplex, you know it exists. If your visiting, you can see it on the road map. It is not a secret.

Give me any county, any town, in any state of the union. I can do the same thing from that information. And believe me people are no longer stupid to using search engines. I can tell you what public hunting areas are near within 5 minutes.

It is how I travel across a state like Colorado or Kansas with no plan on where I am going and do so well with that type of hunting. It is all provided out there for everone to see. And it does not come or start from or because some guy on an obscure post on the internet.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #918957 09/22/09 12:55 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Ok,
I am in Dallas or I am visiting Dallas. I want to try duck hunting but I don't know where to go. Lets pretend I don't know Ray Roberts exists.

Google Lakes near Dallas
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aqi=g2g-m2

One example lists several including Ray Roberts
http://www.dfwnetmall.com/e-mag/lakesdfw.htm

So I google Lake Ray Roberts Hunting. On the first page is the hunting map.
http://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_112a_501.pdf

Also on the same page are sample pages from a texas parks and wildlife press book with detailed hunting information.
http://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_112a_501.pdf

From there I have all I need to do my scouting, both with various online maps and satellite, I can look at weather conditions, water levels, I can search for magazine articles, get email addresses for the area biologist and game warden to send questions to, all sorts of stuff.

So see, it does not take an internet forum to find out a lake exists. If you don't already know, it takes, well this time about two minutes to find it, find the rules and requirements to hunt it, print off a map, and go. This lake is by far not a secret.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #918968 09/22/09 12:58 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Ray Roberts,
I was the sole hunter representative at the ribbon cutting. I have been hunting it ever since and because I do my homework, I have never had a hunt that I felt was ruined by someone else.

But again you back me up with that. I said the same thing you are already. The point is if you live in the metroplex, you know it exists. If your visiting, you can see it on the road map. It is not a secret.

Give me any county, any town, in any state of the union. I can do the same thing from that information. And believe me people are no longer stupid to using search engines. I can tell you what public hunting areas are near within 5 minutes.

It is how I travel across a state like Colorado or Kansas with no plan on where I am going and do so well with that type of hunting. It is all provided out there for everone to see. And it does not come or start from or because some guy on an obscure post on the internet.

With none of this can I argue. It is why I too have begun to make fewer trips up to 12 hours to get away.

When stated that one guy on the internet will ruin a single spot for all eternity, then no I don't believe he has brought the devil in a bucket.

I do feel if a man says hey I was at Ray Roberts and look at this picture of a full stringer of mallards, he will be visited. So with that being said I can get on google and find within a mile where the birds are. The next day in the boat I could be planted right where the birds were yesterday. Now if you were the guy and you pulled up and saw my great big fat arse sleeping in a spread where you hammered them yesterday would you not feel like maybe it should not have put that on the internet. What you worked hard for and paddled your little heart out could be undone in a click of a few keystrokes.

Could anyone get in a boat and find them, I do believe. I also believe the internet can drive some folks in your direction.

Same thing goes for no birds. If somebody gets on there and shows the photos and location he killed 2 bootlips then would you go to that place? I doubt it. Your going to look elsewhere. You would not take the time to go to that place. I wouldn't unless I know some trickery was involved.

Believe me I am trying hard to see your point. It is killing me but I am trying.

Last edited by WAL1809; 09/22/09 12:59 AM.
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: wal1809] #919063 09/22/09 01:34 AM
P
panama Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
bit my tongue long enough..........

Some of you guys can argue til the sun comes up that internet posts/pictures don't do harm but I have seen it over and over and over what damage can be done. I have seen ramps fill up within a week after someone posts up a lake name or pics that show landmarks of lakes. What some of you do not realize is that BARNEY lurks and he lurks hard!!!!! Some of you might be Barney himself, maybe not....

Funny part is that some of the same folks that cry foul about Barney ruining their hunts are the same guys that are posting pics that are locale revealing or mentioning specific lake names

Why in the world do people feel the need to tell/show where you are hunting?? I mean, honestly, what is the point of where you were??

As far as helping out the "newbies", tread lightly I say. I have a friend that did an "experiment" and posed as a newbie on a forum that needed help. Do you know that he actually had folks telling him via pm EXACTLY what lake/river to go to and EXACTLY where to set up... Not that my friend needs any help in the finding birds department, he just wanted to prove a point how folks are cyberscouting and are just downright lazy... hard to argue with the facts he presented...

I agree with WAL1809 as he hunts a lake I do/ used to and has seen it for himself how loose lips let the ship sink out there.

My take is to let the lazy sob'S GET UP OFF THEIR AZZES AND GO FIND THINGS THEMSELVES!!

WAL is right that I , too, can take an area, look it up, zoom in on Bing, hitch up my rig and go look and be in the exact same spot as the idiot that posted up a stringer of green the day before ---if I wanted to. Fortunately for me I have accumulated alot of info over the years where I am waaaaay off the beaten path and don't have to deal withg it. But I'd be lying if I said that I had not been affected by all of the bullsh*t blabbering that goes on over the internet a time or two that had ended up ruining some areas I used to hunt.....

The epitome of it all occured a couple years back when I was at a ramp backing down and Barney walks up and says that he read on a forum that the hunting had been good at this certain lake and he wanted to know where a good place to set up was??? Now that my friends is just a small drop in the bucketr to what is going on all over since the advent of the internet..

These forums are a double edge sword fellers.....always watch your six!

Last edited by panama; 09/22/09 01:40 AM.
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: wal1809] #919066 09/22/09 01:35 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Wal, on this forum the only people that do on a regular basis just what your suggesting has been JJ and Yentzen. Though like me using the term "border lake", or JJ the "red", or from their profile location, it does not take one on this forum very long to know what lake most of those pictures were taken from. Despite that they have been doing quite well day and day and hunt after hunt, for the years I have been on this forum.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide