Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #919069 09/22/09 01:36 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Originally Posted By: Guy
I have not been duck hunting that long, went on my first duck hunt 2003, a friend showed me that spot. After that, I found all my own spots as a rookie. Over the last 6 years, I have been shown a few spots by friends, but that is a drop in the bucket to all the spots I found on my own. The only reason I hunt public is the challenge of finding the ducks thru scouting. If you are not willing to scout and put the work in, then that tells me you are just a shooter and not a waterfowler. I would never go on a forum asking for information on where to kill ducks,. never have and never will, I got more pride than that. But that is just me.

My son was telling me the other day how you can get on the internet and find all the “codes” to unlock features on some of his x-box games vs earning it with high scores etc... I said “why you want to do that? That is cheating.” That’s the problem with today’s kids, they are all looking for the easy button.

I known, here come all the posts “I was not looking for a specific spot, just some direction”, yeah yeah whatever..

Yea Yea Whatever?
Guy, your preaching to the choir, or talking to yourself, not sure which.

Neither. I was preaching to the guy looking for the easy button. up

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #919124 09/22/09 01:53 AM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Can I name ponds rofl

Well the few birds I kill each year come from private and even fewer come from public. So if someone is in 95% of my spots, we will probably be having a pow wow with myself, you(and your party) and the game warden or sheriff.

Seriously though. Barney's have been around for a long time and do breed. They were messing up hunting mornings and locations for many, many moons. Now instead of chasing down gun shots, looking for the most tailers at a boat ramp, watching other hunters at a distance with bino's. They now have internet and hunting forums like we are on. Trust me, you will lose good hunting by posting where you are hunting on a wedsite. Thousands and thousands of ppl can search a website daily and some of them are looking for an easy way for everything in life. Whether it's a spot you have been hunting or knowing where you are going to be and makes it that much easier to break into your vehicle while your setting up decoys in the wee hours of the morning.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Ridn9high] #919132 09/22/09 01:56 AM
K
kdub Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
Can I name ponds rofl

Well the few birds I kill each year come from private and even fewer come from public. So if someone is in 95% of my spots, we will probably be having a pow wow with myself, you(and your party) and the game warden or sheriff.

Seriously though. Barney's have been around for a long time and do breed. They were messing up hunting mornings and locations for many, many moons. Now instead of chasing down gun shots, looking for the most tailers at a boat ramp, watching other hunters at a distance with bino's. They now have internet and hunting forums like we are on. Trust me, you will lose good hunting by posting where you are hunting on a wedsite. Thousands and thousands of ppl can search a website daily and some of them are looking for an easy way for everything in life. Whether it's a spot you have been hunting or knowing where you are going to be and makes it that much easier to break into your vehicle while your setting up decoys in the wee hours of the morning.

up a voice of reason

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Ridn9high] #919162 09/22/09 02:04 AM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I'm getting tired head on this deal.

I post pictures, some public, some private, so what....

If you recognize the trees behind me, go get 'er done, I don't care.

I'm constantly on the move anyway, so it really isn't a big deal to me, but I will continue to claim Lake X as not to offend anyone.

Fishing the THF for spots is bush league anyway. Do you think the guys on here who consistantly kill ducks are trying to find spots via other guys posts? Yeah right, they are finding them by getting out there and putting in the work.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Moose K] #919190 09/22/09 02:11 AM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Moose Knuckles

I post pictures, some public, some private, so what....

If you recognize the trees behind me, go get 'er done, I don't care.

I'm constantly on the move anyway, so it really isn't a big deal to me, but I will continue to claim Lake X as not to offend anyone.

Fishing the THF for spots is bush league anyway. Do you think the guys on here who consistantly kill ducks are trying to find spots via other guys posts? Yeah right, they are finding them by getting out there and putting in the work.

I did recognize some of the trees in the background of your pictures! Cedars! Oaks! Hard Woods!

Am I close? roflmao

Knuckles I don't have to put in work to kill birds! I just read post and jump on someone elses spots. That is my tip for the year. bang

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Ridn9high] #919211 09/22/09 02:17 AM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Mike,

You are always posting nice straps.

Let's get together so I can plant a GPS tracking device on your pickup.

The truth is that I know of several spots that have fallen prey to Barney & Co. I either don't go there anymore or go during the week if I can.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Moose K] #919223 09/22/09 02:23 AM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Mike,

Let's get together so I can plant a GPS tracking device on your pickup.

You must have ran into one of my Ex's. Tell her she can't have the truck back. I could end up walking to my spots then. LOL

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kdub] #919260 09/22/09 02:35 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: kdub
Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
Can I name ponds rofl

up a voice of reason

How can that be a voice of reason. He is talking about giving up spots of which I agree would be foolish, but it does not happen here. Your talking about a lake name. I have shown how you can find every lake and every hunting area within driving distance of any city, town, county, in the country. And you can do it in two minutes. Information way more sensitive than finding out the name of a lake too.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Moose K] #919262 09/22/09 02:36 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Yeah right, they are finding them by getting out there and putting in the work.

Exactly.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #919306 09/22/09 02:50 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
rumored there are a few birds on Joe's Lake and Seed Orchard Lake... but even more being seen by friends that live on a secluded area of Lake X. Public lake naming is horrible, especially the ones located relatively close to large cities..

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: panama] #919365 09/22/09 03:18 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: panama

As far as helping out the "newbies", tread lightly I say. I have a friend that did an "experiment" and posed as a newbie on a forum that needed help. Do you know that he actually had folks telling him via pm EXACTLY what lake/river to go to and EXACTLY where to set up... Not that my friend needs any help in the finding birds department, he just wanted to prove a point how folks are cyberscouting and are just downright lazy... hard to argue with the facts he presented...

I agree with WAL1809 as he hunts a lake I do/ used to and has seen it for himself how loose lips let the ship sink out there.

Though it is not the same as what we are debating, I am with you on that panama. Like you I have been in this public hunting game long enough that I have more places I could hunt in a given year than I could ever possibly hunt. I bet I spend as much time scouting as hunting in fact.

See, I have spots that I am willing to share with anyone, spots I am willing to share with those I feel will respect the location, spots I hunt only within a certain circle of friends, spots I share only with a single hunting partner every year, spots I may reveal to a new guy to hunt for the season as he learns the ropes, spots so secret I only hunt alone and might even blindfold my dog on the way in so she does not tell anyone. Despite my side of the lake name debate, I have even hunted a couple lakes this year that I did not tell about. And a hunt or two that I did not post about.

Though I think someone mentioning that they hunted Ray Roberts yesterday will not ruin my hunt, what panama talks about certainly can cause some problems. You have to pick your friends or be careful which info you share with whom.

I took a new duck hunter on a couple duck hunts once with a mutual friend. We had a good time on those hunts and he learned a lot for his first hunts. He knew my friend and I were going to go back the next Friday. We showed up on Friday and there were shells laying around and wader tracks in the nearby mud. It was public so we thought nothing of it. Through another mutual friend we later found out he had another friend that duck hunts. The fella never mentioned it during the earlier hunts. They hunted it Wed and Thursday knowing we would be there Friday. The new guy honestly did not know or understand the etiquette of such things, but I am sure his duck hunting friend who talked him into taking him there did. Fortunately it was one of those spots I would have shared with anyone and we still did well that morning.

Also, I believe I have been a victim of your experiment or someone fishing for information. Though the above guy was before this forum and before most people had internet, I did have a guy on this forum pm me to show him the ropes on a duck hunt. He asked all sorts of detailed location questions right up until the night before. Once I sent him the final pm with directions because he said he wanted to meet me at the hunting area, he replied back he could not make it and has never posted on the forum again. You know what the spot was. It was the exact spot in the first story, so I would have given it to him if he had just asked up front.

Lets see, I had a game warden tell me details where a forum member here hunts. I have had forum members wear out spots I have taken them, though I will admit it did not bother me because I probably told them I did not care if they hunted it on their own or not. But at the same time some of those have never invited me in return to hunt with them. And not at those very spots that I shared with them. I have had forum members tell me in conversation where other forum members were hunting. I have had a biologist mail me a map with every location where the hunters on her wma told her they hunted. One of the best duck hunting spots I ever had was from a Game Warden that told me he talked to two guys in a canoe who limited out in 15 minutes. He gave me directions down to the actual bar they parked the canoe to hunt from. I hunted it every year with a trusty friend and always did well until civilization took over that part of the lake.

Now I am not saying you should not take a new guy under your wing to help him into the sport. On the contrary. There are few mentors in this day to do such things. As a result we are a dying breed. But you do have to be careful how much you share up front until you know the person well. It is why the only real information you ever see posted on the migratory forum is nothing much more than a lake name and rarely if ever a spot, or a picture with identifiable landmarks. But for the lake name thing, I have shown how that information is not a secret.

Heck nearly every huntable lake surrounding the DFW area have DU chapters named after them!

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #919481 09/22/09 04:12 AM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Barney can come from anywhere, the ramp, the gas station, Cabela's, Academy or driving down the street.

I have a particular pond, private, that I leased as soon as the owner decided to lease it. Last fall he told me he had 6 or 7 people try to lease it for the following year. It sat unhunted for nearly 43 years until I convinced him to lease it to me. I didn't feel right hunting it and not "rewarding" the landowner properly.

So you are vulnerable no matter where you are, and that is the reason I have no stickers on either of my vehicles, they are usually a dead give away.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #919552 09/22/09 05:00 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Several years ago I helped another duck hunter on ray bob with boat trouble. He was alone and had some ducks on the deck. He was very quiet and never really smiled, but probably due to his situation. I did finally break the ice though and learned that he had been hunting the lake for I think 5 years he said. He also said he hunted alone and never with another hunter during all that time. And it was not that it was because he enjoyed hunting alone, but because he did not trust anyone. He was so paranoid that someone would give up the spot or spots he was hunting that he only hunted alone. Seriously, true story, he may have been bs'ing, but it is what he told me.

I thought to myself, if I ever get to that point, I will give it up and take up golf or something instead.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #919567 09/22/09 05:13 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Delta Waterfowl
So you are vulnerable no matter where you are, and that is the reason I have no stickers on either of my vehicles, they are usually a dead give away.

Ain't that the truth on being vulnerable. I lost a deer lease at Eden due to some guys approaching the landowner and offering three times our lease payment. We could not match it. How they found us I don't know. Could have been at the local processor, taxidermist, or game warden or some of the guys hanging out in town.
But those rich fellas knew what we had before they leased us out.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #919917 09/22/09 01:16 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Bottom line is, 50% of this forum (based on last year’s poll) thinks it is uncool to name lakes. So if you want to be hard headed and name lakes anway, go ahead, just realize you are dissing half the forum..

Ya, but if you don't name them you are dissing the other half.

hahahahaha

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Jason B] #919925 09/22/09 01:19 PM
K
kdub Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: txfour
Bottom line is, 50% of this forum (based on last year’s poll) thinks it is uncool to name lakes. So if you want to be hard headed and name lakes anway, go ahead, just realize you are dissing half the forum..

Ya, but if you don't name them you are dissing the other half.

hahahahaha

Not really, I don't know of ANYBODY that gets mad when people don't name lakes, but ALOT of people do vice versa. I know I started this thread, but is there anybody else out there that would like to see this thread hanged

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #920210 09/22/09 03:42 PM
Bradbury Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
It has always been a fact that people like to talk, people like to ask questions. Granted, the internet has helped others greatly in finding spots, but it has giving us the opporutnity to brag. The fishing forum has has the same effect on lakes, but we often fuel this.

I was told never tell them where you hunted or fished, or they would be knocking on the guys door asking if they can hunt or fish. I would always say, south of x, west of y, friends place etc. I used to duck hunt public water, but the limit was low and not many people hunted them then. WE packed decoys in on foot often and started early and never took anybody else though people wanted to go.

I was at my dog trainer over the weekend and there were some guys who talked about the Refuge and said they heard lake X was good, though they named it, then they talked about one where there was a fishing tourney opening weekend of teal season. The closer you live to urban lakes, the easier it is to hunt them and talking about them does not help. You can post photos of your hunt on four lakes that I know like the back of my hand and I can probably name that lake by the shoreline.

Its going to happen, people are going to talk about it, you choose not to and that is your way to protest it. I still do not take strangers duck hunting, they have to earn a trip and few do, it takes them years to get into the clique if you will. All because one jack leg in college went with us one weekend and called the land owner two weeks later and asked if he could come up. Answer was no, landowner told us, we ripped the guy several new ones and never talked to him again or asked him to go hunting again. Almost 20 years later, the guy still emails and says he will be in town x weekend and if we are going hunting he would like to go. He never gets a response.

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know, I can help. Just email me steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Bradbury] #920453 09/22/09 05:32 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Guess I don't understand the big deal. Maybe if they were small private ponds, ok, don't name them. We wouldn't want our maps listed as public somewhere....oh, wait, that happened already.

But really, saying "there's good duck hunting on lake kookamonga" probably doesn't send a boat load of extra people there. Now if you said on lake kookamonga 1.3 miles sw of the double bridges turn in at the power line crossing and go to ground at the orange juice jug on the branch... then maybe that's enough information.

My father in law was a fisherman... if you had asked him where he caught a fish, he'd stick his pinky in the corner of his mouth and say "right here".

But since we are naming lakes, I hear there are big bass in lake fork.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #920608 09/22/09 06:53 PM
L
LuckyDucker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Now if you said on lake kookamonga 1.3 miles sw of the double bridges turn in at the power line crossing and go to ground at the orange juice jug on the branch...
DAMMITTT Vernon!!! That's my secret hole! mad

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: LuckyDucker] #920783 09/22/09 08:15 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
how about we stop talking about this lake naming/decoy leaving crap and shoot some ducks already bang up cheers I guarantee you if you hunt public there's at least 1 if not more other persons that knows about your "spot." If you're place is that good and you get there early you won't have anything to worry about. Not saying I'm really for it, but not really against it.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: FowlDreams] #920909 09/22/09 08:48 PM
J
Jason B Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
how about we stop talking about this lake naming/decoy leaving crap and shoot some ducks already bang up cheers

Fowl, I love that idea. Could you tell me a good lake to go to? I'm really wanting to get started rofl

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Jason B] #920959 09/22/09 09:02 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
how about we stop talking about this lake naming/decoy leaving crap and shoot some ducks already bang up cheers

Fowl, I love that idea. Could you tell me a good lake to go to? I'm really wanting to get started rofl

LMAO you're funny. Yep Lake A should be good tomorrow. See ya there! up

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: FowlDreams] #921062 09/22/09 09:36 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T

LMAO you're funny. Yep Lake A should be good tomorrow. See ya there! up

I'll be there around 6ish, have the coffee ready grin

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #921111 09/22/09 09:50 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
IMO, there is no point. A poll today is not going to stop a guy tomorrow from publicly asking who is the controlling authority for Cedar Creek for example. Each is his own man on what they want to ask or say no matter what a poll says.

Whoa there trigger. It was a joke.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: FowlDreams] #921141 09/22/09 10:02 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
how about we stop talking about this lake naming/decoy leaving crap and shoot some ducks already bang up cheers I guarantee you if you hunt public there's at least 1 if not more other persons that knows about your "spot." If you're place is that good and you get there early you won't have anything to worry about. Not saying I'm really for it, but not really against it.

+10 How can you stretch 6 pages out of this thread. Really? Just get there early and have fun. GHEEEESH!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide