Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Naming Lakes #912688 09/18/09 01:45 AM
K
kdub Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Could yall please keep the lake naming to private messages? Im sure that when you put in alot of time to scout a place the last thing you want is some guy to talk about it on the internet. Im not saying not to help people out, cuz thats what it's about but dont do it on the world wide freakin' web.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kdub] #912709 09/18/09 01:51 AM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T
and so it starts duel

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: TreeBass] #912722 09/18/09 01:55 AM
K
kdub Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
yeah buddy Ive been holding back for a while, but its time....

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kdub] #912734 09/18/09 02:01 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I undestand how you feel kdub! It's all about respect, jmo. up

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Guy] #912774 09/18/09 02:18 AM
K
kdub Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Thanks Guy, Im sure some will disagree, and my aim is not to start a fight, but that what its about, respect. Just like not calling if ducks are working some one else's spread. You don't (or shouldn't) do it because of mutual respect. Thats how I feel about naming lakes. There's alot of lakes Ive never been to, but I'll use my own resources to find out about them. Google maps can give you alot of info, talk to other duck hunters (in person or via pm), and get your butt out there and scout. I love scouting! And I will normally tell people I talk to about spots! But Come on...All you gotta do is google a lake and walla it says texas hunting forum right at the top, along with "we did real good at 'blank" lake, put in at "blank" ramp, etc.etc.etc. RESPECT

Last edited by kdub; 09/18/09 02:19 AM.
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kdub] #912847 09/18/09 02:54 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I have not seen anyone give out any sensitive information this season. And usually when it is done it is someone trolling. So I I respectfully disagree at this point. But I agree about getting out and scouting, etc. It is because of what you say that I am confident in my scouting and hunting that someone posting the name of a lake in a thread is no threat to me. And should not be to you. We can be helpful to the new hunters that need a start, guys visiting or moving, give them some direction, etc. and still not threaten my/your own hunting. There can be a balance between helping and respect IMO.

These major lakes are no secret. Our own land and leases forum has links that lead to all the major public hunting areas including lakes. Those links can be found in simple google searches. TPWD has a link with most listed including controlling authority contact information. The APH lands are all in pdf files and can be looked at before buying the permit. The Corps has a hunting guide with all the Corps lakes listed and each lakes rules. Because I post that I had a flock of teal buzz me on Ray Roberts while picking up decoys does not let the secret out.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/348583

Respect is a too way street. I think differently and there is nothing wrong with that. We as gentlemen can agree to disagree.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #912850 09/18/09 02:55 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
wow.... crazy duck hunters......

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #912896 09/18/09 03:19 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
BTW kdub,
Thank you sir for starting a separate thread rather than hijacking someone elses. I am more than happy to debate this in a friendly manner with you all season on here.

But neither side of the issue should be bullying those on the opposite side of the issue by hijacking posts, flaming new guys that don't know better, or trolling.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kdub] #912908 09/18/09 03:22 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I like this one.............. grin

* Abilene
* Alan Henry
* Alvarado Park
* Amistad
* Amon G. Carter
* Aquilla
* Arlington
* Arrowhead
* Athens
* Austin
* Averhoff
* B.A. Steinhagen
* Balmorhea
* Bardwell
* Bastrop
* Baylor Creek
* Belton
* Benbrook
* Big Creek
* Bob Sandlin
* Bonham
* Bonham State Park
* Brady Creek
* Brandy Branch
* Braunig
* Bridgeport
* Brownwood
* Bryan
* Buchanan
* Buffalo Creek
* Buffalo Springs
* Caddo
* Calaveras
* Canyon
* Casa Blanca
* Cedar Creek
* Champion Creek
* Choke Canyon
* Cisco
* Clyde
* Coffee Mill
* Coleman
* Coleto Creek
* Colorado City
* Conroe
* Cooper
* Corpus Christi
* Crook
* Cypress Springs
* Daniel
* Davy Crockett
* Diversion
* Eagle Mountain
* E. V. Spence
* Fairfield
* Falcon
* Fayette County
* Findley (Alice City Lake)
* Fork
* Fort Parker State Park
* Fort Phantom Hill
* Georgetown
* Gibbons Creek
* Gilmer
* Gladewater
* Gonzales
* Graham
* Granbury
* Granger
* Grapevine
* Greenbelt
* Halbert
* Hawkins
* Holbrook
* Hords Creek
* Houston
* Houston County
* Hubbard Creek
* Inks
* Jacksonville
* J.B. Thomas
* Joe Pool
* Kemp
* Kickapoo
* Kirby
* Kurth
* Lady Bird (Town Lake, Austin)
* Lake O' The Pines
* Lavon
* Leon
* Lewisville
* Limestone
* Livingston
* Lone Star
* Lost Creek
* Lyndon B. Johnson
* Mackenzie
* Marble Falls
* Martin Creek
* McClellan
* McQueeney
* Medina
* Meredith
* Mexia
* Mill Creek
* Millers Creek
* Mineral Wells
* Monticello
* Moss
* Mountain Creek
* Murvaul
* Nacogdoches
* Nasworthy
* Navarro Mills
* New Ballinger
* Nocona
* Oak Creek
* O.C. Fisher
* O.H. Ivie
* Palestine
* Palo Duro
* Palo Pinto
* Pat Cleburne
* Pat Mayse
* Pauline
* Pinkston
* Placid
* Possum Kingdom
* Proctor
* Purtis Creek
* Quitman
* Raven
* Ray Hubbard
* Ray Roberts
* Red Bluff
* Richland-Chambers
* Sam Rayburn
* Sheldon
* Somerville
* Stamford
* Stillhouse Hollow
* Striker
* Sulphur Springs
* Sweetwater
* Tawakoni
* Texana
* Texoma
* Timpson
* Toledo Bend
* Town Lake (now known as Lady Bird Lake)
* Tradinghouse Creek
* Travis
* Twin Buttes
* Tyler
* Waco
* Walter E. Long (Decker)
* Waxahachie
* Weatherford
* Welsh
* White River
* White Rock
* Whitney
* Wichita
* Winnsboro
* Wood
* Worth
* Wright Patman

Make America Great Again

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #912914 09/18/09 03:23 AM
P
pigpen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Yea, i hadnt noticed anything except 2 posts with sniper mentioning ray bob. I think everyone and their dog know about that one so not a big thing IMO. Also saw several on Lavon and Grapevine, so cant single sniper out. I agree though on not blabbing about lake x and lake y. I feel your pain and frustration. Used to hunt ray bob when it first opened. Had spectacular hunts in afternoons and never saw another duck hunter. My how times have changed. Like you said Kdub, not that hard to find out about a place on your own. I guess so many are new to the sport that they hinge on every word if they find out you are worth a grain of salt. Cant blame them for being Barnies, but in same token, no one was tellin me where to go for duck hunting-i did the leg work myself. Chalk it up to the age of Telecommunications or just plain stupidity. Kind of like if i found a fishing honey hole and told everyone else about it. Then it gets fished out and is no longer a honey hole. Just dont get it, i guess people lack common sense? peep

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Closed Traverse] #912915 09/18/09 03:23 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Brandon A
wow.... crazy duck hunters......

I once had a forum member (no longer a forum member for other reasons) threaten to do something to me if he ever saw me at the boat ramp over the very subject of this thread.
Now that is crazy!

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Tbar] #912954 09/18/09 03:40 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Thanks!! I'll be setting up at White Rock come Nov!! Didn't know you can hunt it but do now!

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Txduckman] #912980 09/18/09 03:56 AM
D
Delta Waterfowl Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I don't think this little warning will stop the no bird id'n and no understanding license requirements crowd. This is worse than ramp scouters and easier, they just sit around once or twice a day and google and bam, they are ready to ruin your hunt.

Go private and quit whining.

But goodluck.

PS: I knew about the Grapevine draw/lottery changes in July.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: pigpen] #912987 09/18/09 04:03 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: pigpen
Yea, i hadnt noticed anything except 2 posts with sniper mentioning ray bob.

Oh and don't forget the "Lake Ray Roberts" DU event. It actually brought that lake name up before I did. But by it's very name. What were they thinking?

And kdub,
Ducks Unlimited and TPWD is by far a bigger percieved threat to you than anything that has ever been posted on this forum. You have bigger fish to fry my friend.

http://www.ducks.org/migrationmap/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=migratory

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: pigpen] #913014 09/18/09 04:19 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: pigpen
I feel your pain and frustration. Used to hunt ray bob when it first opened. Had spectacular hunts in afternoons and never saw another duck hunter. My how times have changed.

Yep like for starters you can't hunt it in the afternoon. Wish you could. I missed out on the peanut farm days out there.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: cable] #913023 09/18/09 04:25 AM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Does this mean I need to change my location on my profile?

??????????????????????????????????????????????

worthless

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Delta Waterfowl] #913024 09/18/09 04:26 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Delta Waterfowl
I don't think this little warning will stop the no bird id'n and no understanding license requirements crowd.

This is probably not a threat to you, it is not to me. Those types that I assume your lumping in that are not the type that put the work in to get to the places the experienced hunters are hunting.

This is worse than ramp scouters and easier, they just sit around once or twice a day and google and bam, they are ready to ruin your hunt.

Ok someone googles Lake Lavon. #1 is http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/
I looked at the first three pages. There are no THF posts and no sensitive information about locations, reports etc.

So I google Lave Lavon Ducks. #1 is http://lakelavonducksunlimited.com/
There are some forum posts, but I only saw one from the THF from 2005 started by JohnWester asking about the permit.
It is actually outdated information and again gives no information about locations reports etc. Others talk about hunting pressure being bad.

So how about Lakes Near Dallas. #1 is http://www.dfwnetmall.com/e-mag/lakesdfw.htm\
Which lists every lake near Dallas and a description. There is no duck hunting related links in the first pages.
But one could go back to the first type of search and then do a search for each lake name from that list.

There is no information typically posted on this forum that is more information than what the Corps and other information sites already provides.

Go private and quit whining.

Too hot in the Kitchen, yea probably best to get out. Myself I love the challenge of public land hunting. No whining here. I enjoy every minute of it. Hunting pressure is just another factor to figure in a hunt same as weather, water levels, and so on.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #913140 09/18/09 08:15 AM
K
kdub Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Actually John I didn't even notice you mentioning Raybob and I agree that hijacking posts and flaming new members should not be done.
Delta Waterfowl, Sure I'd love to hop in my mercades benz and go private, did I mention that I keep rolls fo fifties next to the commode incase I run out of tp??

As for getting out of the kitchen, I don't dislike a challenge from hunting public either, but I know that I am not the only one who grimaces when certain lakes are named.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: kdub] #913145 09/18/09 09:41 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
With sites like the DU waterfowl map, TPWD reports, Books like Texas Waterfowl, Even books like The Official Guide to Texas Wildlife Management Areas which has a pro's pointer section on hunting each area. Then too DU and others doing hunting shows on public hunting areas. And more. I could go on. Those are the threats to you, not some joker on a hunting forum in some obscure post asking if a lake still requires a permit. The bigger information highway trumps that and you can't stop it. It is only going to get worse. Rather than grimace, you have to either take matters in your own hands and figure the pressure into your scouting and hunting or go private. If your hunting where the barnies hunt, a lake name like one of the DFW lakes you and I hunt, mentioned on some forum on the internet is not going to matter. They are hunting there already. And if your doing your homework and not, is still does not matter.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Sniper John] #913160 09/18/09 11:02 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The only time I have seen where it might be detremental is when pics are posted of incredible hunts day after day or a little known lake is mentioned. Unfortunately people get their feelings hurt when they ask what lake those were shot at and the hunter kindly says I amnot going to tell. Then everyone who is not a duck hunter jumps on them and runs them off b/c they don't understand. And it is not all the newbie's that are a detriment to someones hard work, it might be that local that knows the lake on the back of his hand but has been too lazy to scout it out.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Tbar] #913242 09/18/09 12:41 PM
fgdn Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
alright Tbar you've stepped over the line, dad burn it man you named (MY) lake. flame confused2

lizard

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.......holy kaka.....What a Ride!
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Txduckman] #913245 09/18/09 12:42 PM
K
karhunts Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
I appreciate all the pics an lake namers, it definitely cuts down the scouting time.

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: pigpen] #913278 09/18/09 01:11 PM
P
pisspotpete Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Does anybody hunt Truscott?

Re: Naming Lakes [Re: Txduckman] #913287 09/18/09 01:16 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Old Weller
Online Content
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Unfortunately people get their feelings hurt when they ask what lake those were shot at and the hunter kindly says I amnot going to tell. Then everyone who is not a duck hunter jumps on them and runs them off b/c they don't understand. And it is not all the newbie's that are a detriment to someones hard work, it might be that local that knows the lake on the back of his hand but has been too lazy to scout it out.

that says it all, alot of this stuff is public, and folks with little care or respect for others hard work. Personally it does not bother me either way. Just don't back the newb that asks a question about certain lakes.

Oh, and as I was told on my first post in the migratory section: No ducks in central texas grin

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Naming Lakes [Re: TreeBass] #913371 09/18/09 02:01 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bottom line is, 50% of this forum (based on last year’s poll) thinks it is uncool to name lakes. So if you want to be hard headed and name lakes anway, go ahead, just realize you are dissing half the forum..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide