Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: txtrophy85] #9099983 08/29/24 06:54 PM
C
Couzin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I rode motorcycles from 15yo until I was 40 (I am 75). Rode all over the country, any weather, my HD was my primary source of transport. A divorce in '89, a geographic change, and a 'start over' job, left me without a bike. I wanted to get back up on two wheels but finances/changes in work station/spouse resistance kept me from getting another bike. The longer I waited, the more problems I had that would interfere with riding. Don't be like me - get the bike! Yep - it can be dangerous, but so is getting out of bed.

Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.
Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: txtrophy85] #9100084 08/29/24 11:48 PM
D
DJ22 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
[Linked Image]

Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: Couzin] #9100247 08/30/24 01:28 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Couzin
I rode motorcycles from 15yo until I was 40 (I am 75). Rode all over the country, any weather, my HD was my primary source of transport. A divorce in '89, a geographic change, and a 'start over' job, left me without a bike. I wanted to get back up on two wheels but finances/changes in work station/spouse resistance kept me from getting another bike. The longer I waited, the more problems I had that would interfere with riding. Don't be like me - get the bike! Yep - it can be dangerous, but so is getting out of bed.

I agree, we can't live forever, got to enjoy life.........

Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: txtrophy85] #9100276 08/30/24 02:17 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
https://www.txdot.gov/about/newsroom/statewide/motorcyclist-deaths-on-the-rise-in-texas.html

600 deaths and 2,400 serious injuries last year in the state. I find it hard to believe there are 3,000 people a year being unalived/incapacitated getting out of bed. bolt

More fun facts: 3% of the registered vehicles in the country (motorcycles) make up 14% of fatalities, and travel less than 1% of total miles driven. https://cousinbenny.com/motorcycle-accident-statistics/

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 08/30/24 02:22 PM.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: txtrophy85] #9100650 08/31/24 06:21 AM
R
Remo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
A few weeks ago on the island of Roatan, I got to do all the crazy stuff I always wanted to do here, taking a rather sketchy motorcycle tour. The challenge was to keep up with the insane local dude who was leading the circus. Up on the sidewalk, through the unfinished construction, weaving through pedestrians, huge potholes, aiming for six-inch gaps between speed bumps at forty, passing cars between two-way traffic, down the beach, so much dangerous fun. Danger+survival=fun.

Nobody shopping for a bike wants to hear the flood of horror stories about the dangers. They probably already know enough of them- I know I did. I got one anyway when the "inscrutable exhortations of the soul" forced me to get a motorcycle at about 36. I rode through my youth before that. I got a KLR 650- a big, tall bike like I was used to, not a potato machine that's low and heavy.

Being me, I tried to scare myself away from it. I watched every video I could find of motorcycle riders dying, losing limbs and heads, getting smeared and ground down by pavement, flipped through the air, and generally having an embarassing end to their ride. There is some truly horrific stuff out there. I trained myself to ride super slow, tested my stopping distances, set rules for where/when I would ride. I got an armored jacket, good helmet, rode in boots (please don't ride in crocs and shorts...) I was the most defensive rider I could be. I was able to avoid traffic and bad roads by taking longer, scenic routes.For over a year, 2 wheels was my primary daily transport in all weather.

The good: When you have the road to yourself, it's great riding in to work while the sun rises over green rolling hills. Like being superman about four feet over the pavement. Being connected to the machine, working the levers and feeling the engine, beautiful. No cage around you- feel the wind and the sun and the speed.

The other stuff: Cars sometimes will look right directly at you and not see you. It's absolutely a real thing-a cognitive problem where the brain filters out anything not fitting the "car" profile- and you should ride with the assumption that you are invisible even with your brights on. I've even caught myself not mentally registering motorcycles when I drive.

Some cars are out to mess with you.

If you or someone else makes an error and there's any contact between vehicles, you'll go down, and physics will offer no exceptions to the rules. Go punch the road and see how it feels.

I loved that bike. I sold it when I could step over to a nice new little car. The experience was good, and I realized I there was no way for me to be safe enough for it to make sense. Little reminders of vulnerability, like cars repeatedly, playfully, swerving toward me while going the opposite direction on narrow two-lane roads showed me I could be taken out at any moment with no options to react.

Cars and cycles don't mix well, and the car always wins. I'd have gotten a trail bike in retrospect, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #9100653 08/31/24 07:09 AM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
https://www.txdot.gov/about/newsroom/statewide/motorcyclist-deaths-on-the-rise-in-texas.html

600 deaths and 2,400 serious injuries last year in the state. I find it hard to believe there are 3,000 people a year being unalived/incapacitated getting out of bed. bolt

More fun facts: 3% of the registered vehicles in the country (motorcycles) make up 14% of fatalities, and travel less than 1% of total miles driven. https://cousinbenny.com/motorcycle-accident-statistics/

Doesn't state the time frame, but......... Approximately 1.8 million emergency room visits and over 400 thousand hospital admissions occur to those over the age of 65 from falling out of bed
Been riding for 51 years, worst thing to happen to me was when racing dirt bikes. I will say no way in heck i'd ride a bike through the DFW area on 30, 20, 635, 820, etc. Just no!

Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: txtrophy85] #9100664 08/31/24 11:03 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Sold my last street bike two days ago. I'm done. Feeling good about it. My odds have just increased exponentially that I'm headed toward a healthier retirement lifestyle to where I won't be potentially hobbled by injury, recovery or medical bills due to a wreck. Long term play for me.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: 71Rcode] #9100978 09/01/24 12:59 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
Sold my last street bike two days ago. I'm done. Feeling good about it. My odds have just increased exponentially that I'm headed toward a healthier retirement lifestyle to where I won't be potentially hobbled by injury, recovery or medical bills due to a wreck. Long term play for me.

But we just traded for one so are you sure...? dead_horse

Pass the gravy.

Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: txtrophy85] #9101045 09/01/24 10:01 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Nice. Your dealership does that?

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Buying a motorcycle [Re: txtrophy85] #9101058 09/01/24 11:57 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Classic cars and trucks, motorcycles, ATVs...

Pass the gravy.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide