Forums46
Topics543,522
Posts9,799,545
Members87,476
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9095919 08/22/24 09:47 AM
B
Bandit 200 XP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Guy
No financing. Brand new.

You'll get a better deal by financing over cash. You can pay off the balance after a couple months. Buy them together and trade together. What you have and what you want makes a big deal too.

That's the way Holiday Chevrolet rolls , they want to finance it so they get a kick back from the bank . Pay it off in a few months . I feel like i'm scratching there back for them scratch

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Bandit 200 XP] #9095922 08/22/24 10:23 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
Originally Posted by Guy
No financing. Brand new.

You'll get a better deal by financing over cash. You can pay off the balance after a couple months. Buy them together and trade together. What you have and what you want makes a big deal too.

That's the way Holiday Chevrolet rolls , they want to finance it so they get a kick back from the bank . Pay it off in a few months . I feel like i'm scratching there back for them scratch

Why 3 months? Is this that their minimal payment period? How much interest do you have to pay for those minimum payment periods and what are the upfront loan fees and other loan fees? This would off sets the additional discount you get off retail price of the vehicle. It is a lot of work/transactions for nothing, someone loses here, is it the bank that loses? It’s not the dealer I’m sure, since it seems like they encourage this behavior, they get a fixed kickback if loan is paid off early or not (what it sounds like). Either the consumer loses in the shell game or the bank. It would not surprise me the bank takes a loss on customers that just pay the minimum payment period, and make it up on customers that don't. But they are not dumb, they set those minimum payment periods and fees to minimize losses, at least break even.

My BS meter just goes off with this kinda nonsense.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9095945 08/22/24 11:23 AM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I had the finance guy ask me to wait 3 months before paying my wife’s new vehicle off. We financed to get an additional $1k off the price. He read me well. Except the part about me waiting…..😁

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9095950 08/22/24 11:32 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Also remember the Fed gets involved with any cash deal of more than $9999.99. Not a big deal for most people that have that much cash but it is a thing.

Pass the gravy.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Bandit 200 XP] #9095956 08/22/24 11:43 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
No financing. Brand new.

When I bought my truck in 2020 they had a $5000.00 off deal if we used Ford Financing. Put 80% down and financed something like 20% and paid it off the next month. We also put the maxim amount on a credit card to get the points.

Make America Great Again

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9095960 08/22/24 11:59 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Also remember the Fed gets involved with any cash deal of more than $9999.99. Not a big deal for most people that have that much cash but it is a thing.

That's for someone that walks in with a suitcase full of cash? I’m sure the feds are all over that. roflmao

I never said I’m going to pay cash, I said I’m not planning on financing it. I hardly ever deal in cash, it is rare that I write a check.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Tbar] #9095969 08/22/24 12:20 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Tbar
Originally Posted by Guy
No financing. Brand new.

When I bought my truck in 2020 they had a $5000.00 off deal if we used Ford Financing. Put 80% down and financed something like 20% and paid it off the next month. We also put the maxim amount on a credit card to get the points.

I put everything on CC if possible, unless they charge a fee to use CC. If the bank pays the dealer a fixed kick back that does not change for early pay off customers, they are taking it in the pants. If the kickback is adjusted, probably still not a loss for the dealer as long as $5k off is profitable.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9095974 08/22/24 12:30 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Dealerships aren't really negotiating on high demand/low inventory vehicles. Pick a vehicle that gives you negotiating leverage.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9096670 08/23/24 12:02 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Guy
That's for someone that walks in with a suitcase full of cash? I hardly ever deal in cash, it is rare that I write a check.

No ... a check is considered cash when buying a car.

Pass the gravy.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9096725 08/23/24 01:25 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A man's gotta have some walkin' 'round money.

[Linked Image]

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Creekrunner] #9096794 08/23/24 02:28 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

[Linked Image]

That’s more than the normal “folding money”!

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Creekrunner] #9097015 08/23/24 08:02 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S

[Linked Image]

Had a young guy come in and buy his girlfriend a car and paid cash. Took the finance guy an hour to count it twice. All cash from one’s to hundreds.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9097364 08/24/24 02:26 PM
M
mohunter Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Sometimes you just have to play the game with the Stealerships, same thing happened to me last October when I bought a new truck, they would not give me the same price to pay by cash/check, I wanted to get it done fast and did not have time to waste, they had the truck I wanted and I drove an hour to get it, they would not deal over the phone unfortunately.
I got there that morning tried to buy it, said for that internet price I had to finance, no big deal, I financed it, out the door with the truck in an hour, they asked me to wait 3 months to pay it off, lol, paid the loan off a few weeks later before first month was due. Doubt they got their finance kickback but if they wanted to play stupid games with pricing a vehicle I can play too.

Just play the game to get the best deal.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9097368 08/24/24 02:35 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^ my daughter did something similar when she bought her MDX. She has no patience with car salesman.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9100170 08/30/24 04:49 AM
A
AylinWiley Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
If haggling isn't your thing, you’re not alone. How much you save by haggling can vary, but people often knock off a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars depending on the dealership, the vehicle, and how motivated the salesperson is to close the deal. It’s all about timing, the car's demand, and how desperate the dealer is to meet their monthly quota.Trading in your old vehicles is convenient, especially if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of selling them yourself. You won’t get as much as you might from a private sale, but it saves you time and effort. If you’re trading in multiple vehicles, you might get a bit more flexibility on the trade-in values as part of the package deal.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9100218 08/30/24 12:31 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
An approach that I read many years ago in Consumer Reports has always worked well for me. Basically, the goal is to get salesmen from different dealers to bid for the sale and the key is to make it obvious one of them is going to sell you a vehicle. Find a vehicle at each dealer and tell them you want their best price up front. No do-overs or using one quote against another to haggle over. Each salesperson has one honest chance to make a pending sale and earn a commission. You'll find out quick who has no intentions of working with you, who wants to play the haggle game, and who is serious about selling you a vehicle. I've always used a percentage discount off the list price based on a "drive off" offer to make it simple to decide. But again, the key is being honest at guaranteeing a sale to the person who offers you the best price up front with zero haggling. You'll come to enjoy saying "bye" to the ones who tell you to bring them a price to beat. And you'll also likely learn which salesperson knew at the very beginning they were making you an offer no one else would beat.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/30/24 12:44 PM.

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9100243 08/30/24 01:22 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Guy
That's for someone that walks in with a suitcase full of cash? I hardly ever deal in cash, it is rare that I write a check.

No ... a check is considered cash when buying a car.

Not for an IRS Compliane form, It would be required of 10K cash, Not for check.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: spacejunkie] #9100245 08/30/24 01:26 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by spacejunkie

[Linked Image]

Had a young guy come in and buy his girlfriend a car and paid cash. Took the finance guy an hour to count it twice. All cash from one’s to hundreds.

My dealership wouldn't let me use my Credit Card for purchase, they would let you put like a few thousands but not entire amount

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9100654 08/31/24 07:10 AM
R
Remo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Pay cash to Enterprise Vehicle Sales, or something similar. No haggling, get one transported to a city with one of their dealers for a fee. Go drop them a check, sign off and pick up your vehicle when it arrives. Easy. 1000% less stress and wasted time than dealing with a dealership.

I can't stand being lied to, is the main thing for me. If you're rich enough that your Lexus dealership has a starbucks and some kind of boutique, that's great and this isn't a concern for you. But lots of us watch our pennies! I'd say the overall stress of my purchase experience was about equal to picking up a used lawnmower off craigslist. I invested a bit more time on picking out the particular truck, but that was kind of fun. I understand that the trucks are often mostly used by management with Enterprise, and there weren't even scratches on the bedliner.

I've bought cars the old fashioned way, fully knowing every trick of the tongue and the calculator being pulled, and still had a horrible, stressful, stupidly slow experience. I've had dealers park behind me so I couldn't leave, try all sorts of nastiness, manipulations and mind tricks. Never again.

My experience: I worked alongside GM's Lemon Law claims processing/Arbitration, that sort of thing. I've studied thousands of sales documents and seen tens of thousands of repair orders. I wrote and taught a training program for my arbitration guys/junion legal agents on how to forcefully compel dealership staff to cooperate. I've been in contact with hundreds of dealerships' staff and watched many legal proceedings. I would never buy a new vehicle regardless, because I hate to burn money needlessly. I'm handy enough to figure out most of my own car issues so far, so no paranoia about having a car with a few thousand miles on it to start. I got a truck with under 11k on it through Enterprise three years ago and it's been the fastest, stress-free purchase experience, and best vehicle I've ever had.

This is only my alleged experience, I would never presume it to be representative of all dealerships. smile

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9100671 08/31/24 11:27 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
^^Great recommendation and info. I've often wondered about Enterprise. Thanks! up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Remo] #9100686 08/31/24 12:19 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Remo
Pay cash to Enterprise Vehicle Sales, or something similar. No haggling, get one transported to a city with one of their dealers for a fee. Go drop them a check, sign off and pick up your vehicle when it arrives. Easy. 1000% less stress and wasted time than dealing with a dealership.

I can't stand being lied to, is the main thing for me. If you're rich enough that your Lexus dealership has a starbucks and some kind of boutique, that's great and this isn't a concern for you. But lots of us watch our pennies! I'd say the overall stress of my purchase experience was about equal to picking up a used lawnmower off craigslist. I invested a bit more time on picking out the particular truck, but that was kind of fun. I understand that the trucks are often mostly used by management with Enterprise, and there weren't even scratches on the bedliner.

I've bought cars the old fashioned way, fully knowing every trick of the tongue and the calculator being pulled, and still had a horrible, stressful, stupidly slow experience. I've had dealers park behind me so I couldn't leave, try all sorts of nastiness, manipulations and mind tricks. Never again.

My experience: I worked alongside GM's Lemon Law claims processing/Arbitration, that sort of thing. I've studied thousands of sales documents and seen tens of thousands of repair orders. I wrote and taught a training program for my arbitration guys/junion legal agents on how to forcefully compel dealership staff to cooperate. I've been in contact with hundreds of dealerships' staff and watched many legal proceedings. I would never buy a new vehicle regardless, because I hate to burn money needlessly. I'm handy enough to figure out most of my own car issues so far, so no paranoia about having a car with a few thousand miles on it to start. I got a truck with under 11k on it through Enterprise three years ago and it's been the fastest, stress-free purchase experience, and best vehicle I've ever had.

This is only my alleged experience, I would never presume it to be representative of all dealerships. smile

I have heard that Enterprise is pretty good.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9100977 09/01/24 12:58 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
So if you have ever been a GM tech, you would not just avoid buying and Enterprise car, you wouldn't RENT one. Nice try. Not me.

Pass the gravy.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9101015 09/01/24 04:29 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
We had Enterprise as surveillance vehicles. They were low mileage but ran 24/7 365. I would never buy one.

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: ntxtrapper] #9102042 09/03/24 09:18 PM
R
Remo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
We had Enterprise as surveillance vehicles. They were low mileage but ran 24/7 365. I would never buy one.

Yeah definitely, for the love of all that was ever cute when it was a baby, never willingly buy a surveillance vehicle at fair market! hammer I can't speak to non-trucks or other experiences of course. You've got be carry your own water when picking the vehicle. Dig in to the vehicle a bit and get dirty checking for wear, repairs, bumps, misalignments, codes, bad fluid/lubes, to the extent of your knowledge/tools. While the oil filter is in an evil location, nary a mechanical hiccup yet, other than a visor piece that broke loose.... Going on 90k in this photo from last month. She ain't fancy but somehow she is just right for me in my dotage.
[Linked Image]

Re: What’s the best way to buy a new vehicle? [Re: Guy] #9102049 09/03/24 09:32 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
aint nothin wrong with that remo

SPACE FOR RENT

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide