Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Should I buy a Leupold? #9074823 07/12/24 02:09 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S

The Mark 4 thread got me looking. I’ve been a Leupold hater recently due to their cheaper early run of CDS system failures.

Midway still has the old Mark 4s available. Looking hard at the 4.5-14x50 with M5 turrets.

It has the features and power range I want. Front focal plane, TMR reticle, mil turrets and only 21 ounces. Price is $1000. I’m thinking it would be nice on my Tikka CTR 308. I love the weight and the TMR reticle is a great reticle.

It’s an older model but the Mark 4s have seen military use and I personally have seen the scope work great on a friends SCAR 17 for 5 years and still going. SCARs are known scope destroyers. Another friend has one on a Barret 50 cal.

I think I talked myself in to it unless someone can talk me out of it,

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9074831 07/12/24 02:27 AM
R
RiverRider Online Sleepy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Sleepy
THF Trophy Hunter
R
You might do okay. You might be sorry.

I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Leupold guy, but when I saw that "live" thing they did seven or eight years ago, where they had a couple of flat-billed cap wearing corksoakers denying all the complaints Leupold owners had concerning tracking and RTZ, I decided to exit, stage left. There are too many scopes out there that track reasonably well (I'm not talking about dialing to make 852-yard shots, I just want turrets that function more or less properly) and have decent glass and appealing reticle choices.

To me that felt a lot like Leupold was pissing on my leg and telling me it was raining. Thanks, but no thanks.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9074911 07/12/24 12:15 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I’m with RiverRider on this. As a set and forget hunting scope the VX-5 is great. My last letdown on dialing was a Mk-5. They replaced the erector then stated there was nothing wrong with it to start with. Then why did you replace it? The older Mk-4 had tracking issues they claimed they fixed in the Mk-5. I think they went from one spring to two. Weak springs, the reason for the Leupold tap after dialing. I’m sure most of them are good, but a failure rate of even 2% sounds like a gamble to me.

I did jump way up the scale to ZCO but it’s not necessary to get a reliable scope.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9074916 07/12/24 12:36 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No you should not.

Night Force NX8, you should.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9074919 07/12/24 01:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9074928 07/12/24 01:19 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I'm assuming your talking about this scope below. That is their older style turrets. It has all the desired features for a good tactical/hunting rig. It's mil, FFP and I do like their TMR reticle. The turrets are ok, but a little mushy and spin easy. So, if you are hunting with it, you'll have to keep an eye on the turret to make sure it has not spun and dialed you off zero. It's on clearance, so it's not a bad deal.

I only have one Leupold scope, and it's a VX-7 (when they made them) and I like it a lot. I have it on a hunting rifle and It has collapsible turrets, which lock the turrets from spinning. I have no complaints on it. And as a lot of shooters say, "the glass is great!"

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362369641?pid=484450

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9074934 07/12/24 01:31 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I would Not buy that

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: ChadTRG42] #9074935 07/12/24 01:34 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I'm assuming your talking about this scope below. That is their older style turrets. It has all the desired features for a good tactical/hunting rig. It's mil, FFP and I do like their TMR reticle. The turrets are ok, but a little mushy and spin easy. So, if you are hunting with it, you'll have to keep an eye on the turret to make sure it has not spun and dialed you off zero. It's on clearance, so it's not a bad deal.

I only have one Leupold scope, and it's a VX-7 (when they made them) and I like it a lot. I have it on a hunting rifle and It has collapsible turrets, which lock the turrets from spinning. I have no complaints on it. And as a lot of shooters say, "the glass is great!"

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362369641?pid=484450

That is the one I’m talking about. The combo of weight, features and price are really tempting. At 21 ounces, nothing else is close.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, there are more people advising me against than I thought there would be but Leupold has been rather spotty lately.

I know Jason has seen a lot of Leupolds with issues.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9075019 07/12/24 04:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yes, in the last few years I've had rifles left with me wearing Leupolds. I don't have memory of a single one tracking properly to 800 yards. I zero everything at 100. Plug in the hand loaded ammo parameters, in the ballistic calculator then go prove or disprove it to the end of the rifle range. No Leupold has made an "A" grade that I can recall. I'll allow a scope to be off a 1/4 MOA or 1/10 Mil here or there. But Leupold's errors have been much larger than that.

Vortex
Swarovski
Zeiss
Leupold

All in the same category with me. I won't own their rifle scopes. I do own a Swarovski spotting scope though.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096747 08/23/24 01:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: J.G.] #9096763 08/23/24 02:08 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by J.G.
[Linked Image]

LOL. I am shocked the Leupold defenders never showed up on this thread.

Full disclosure, I did buy it. peep

I knew the risks, hopefully it works out for me.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096799 08/23/24 02:34 PM
M
mdwest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Over the years Ive gone from a pretty die hard Zeiss guy... to an almost exclusively Leupold guy... to recently back to being a Zeiss guy...

At full retail price point, I think there are better options out there right now than the mid to high line Leupolds for the same amount of money...

That said, if youre eligible for their VIP program (public servant, active military, veteran, or shooting/hunting industry professional).. you can get most of their stuff for about 40% off of MSRP when you buy direct from Leupold.. which is roughly dealer (wholesale) price...

At the VIP price point, the VX3, VX5, VX6, etc lines are seriously good values..

That said.. if you belong to one of the discount groups like guidefitter (similar to leupold VIP.. if youre a public servant, mil, vet, industry, etc youre probably eligible).. there are some screaming good deals on swarovski, steiner, maven, and others...

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096802 08/23/24 02:38 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I think the “majority” of the Leopold Defenders on here are out putting corn in their feeders or working.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9096832 08/23/24 03:11 PM
G
GTT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G

I love that reticle, best I've seen for a FFP scope.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: mdwest] #9096845 08/23/24 03:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by mdwest
Over the years Ive gone from a pretty die hard Zeiss guy... to an almost exclusively Leupold guy... to recently back to being a Zeiss guy...

At full retail price point, I think there are better options out there right now than the mid to high line Leupolds for the same amount of money...

That said, if youre eligible for their VIP program (public servant, active military, veteran, or shooting/hunting industry professional).. you can get most of their stuff for about 40% off of MSRP when you buy direct from Leupold.. which is roughly dealer (wholesale) price...

At the VIP price point, the VX3, VX5, VX6, etc lines are seriously good values..

That said.. if you belong to one of the discount groups like guidefitter (similar to leupold VIP.. if youre a public servant, mil, vet, industry, etc youre probably eligible).. there are some screaming good deals on swarovski, steiner, maven, and others...

You can get Night Force at a discount through those same sources.

That's if you want a scope that's easy to get zeroed, since it tracks. And if you want a scope you plan on dialing for elevation.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Huntmaster] #9096847 08/23/24 03:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
I think the “majority” of the Leopold Defenders on here are out putting corn in their feeders or working.

Not too difficult to kill a whitetail at 100 yards.

Lots of them have been killed with iron sights.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096860 08/23/24 03:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have a V-X 6 on my .300.

Love the scope, and it does have adjustable turrets, but I have a max hunting range if 400 yards and I’ll holdover on that.

Will test the turrets here in the next month.

Can’t speak to how well they track. Can speak to how clear the glass is.

Partner shoots the HD 6 and had killed multiple sheep with the dial including a Marco Polo at 676 yards.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096886 08/23/24 05:06 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I've dialed my Leupold VX5-HD Hundreds of times, literally. Once about 9 different ranges and 45 shots over a couple of hours, nailed everything. I've dialed it and killed coyotes at 550, 370, 330, many more. Pigs, killed a dozen or more dialing out to 450 yards. Deer, only one that I used my dial on and that was 420 yards. Without using the dial on the same scope............I've lost count of everything I've killed with it. I have another one on a different rifle, two years now, same results.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096902 08/23/24 05:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Will never own another luppy again after this year. Having to look down the side of barrel to kill a bear is BS. They had three chances and 2/3 failures isn’t great odds

Night force and March Impact test their scopes. Certain Maven scopes have survived third party impact testing. Ironically Leupold normally fails 3rd testing, not always but it does. I saw impact testing on mark 4 the other day that looked promising.

If your scope manufacturer only recommends 18lbs of torque, why. Is the scope tube too thin?

All things mechanical fail, the rate of failure is not a guarantee of failure just a probability. I hope no one’s scope fails. Odds are if you careful it won’t, but accidents do happen.

I’ll admit I’m rough on stuff, and probably an exception to most cases

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9096931 08/23/24 05:46 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Will never own another luppy again after this year. Having to look down the side of barrel to kill a bear is BS. They had three chances and 2/3 failures isn’t great odds

Night force and March Impact test their scopes. Certain Maven scopes have survived third party impact testing. Ironically Leupold normally fails 3rd testing, not always but it does. I saw impact testing on mark 4 the other day that looked promising.

If your scope manufacturer only recommends 18lbs of torque, why. Is the scope tube too thin?

All things mechanical fail, the rate of failure is not a guarantee of failure just a probability. I hope no one’s scope fails. Odds are if you careful it won’t, but accidents do happen.

Where are you getting 18lbs? I thought it was 28?

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9096937 08/23/24 06:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

if “your”(as in a generality) scope company only recommends 18lbs, ask why. It wasn’t specific to a certain scope company.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096941 08/23/24 06:11 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
18 is Vortex for sure.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9096942 08/23/24 06:12 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

if “your”(as in a generality) scope company only recommends 18lbs, ask why. It wasn’t specific to a certain scope company.

The subject is Leupold, and your post was referencing your Leupold. You have good reason to not recommend Leupold without inserting irrelevant data in the middle of your write up.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 08/23/24 06:22 PM.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9096950 08/23/24 06:35 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

The subject is Leupold, and your post was referencing your Leupold. You have good reason to not recommend Leupold without inserting irrelevant data in the middle of your write up.

Not irrelevant, it’s a check list/ base line that an individual scope meets or doesn’t. He asked to be talked out so means he is open to exploring other options, I’m saying make sure it meets that simple base line. There are scopes skews with in individual MFG lines that don’t meet that, Again it’s a simple call to MFG to ask why.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096955 08/23/24 06:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
18 is Vortex for sure.

And a few others, like swaro. I was shocked talking to Swaro and they said 17” lbs. I’’m at over 2 months on their warranty now. Luppy was better and had new scope back to
Me in a month.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096960 08/23/24 06:46 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
@Bobo, thanks for clarifying that you were not putting false information out there. Leupold will withstand greater than what the fasteners on the rings I use, so it doesn't come into play. Leupold scope tube is stated to withstand 28" lbs, Warne Rings/Fasteners max at 25" lbs.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096963 08/23/24 06:49 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
98% of big game is killed at 300 yds or less. I couldn't care less what scope someone hunts with, but it's always interesting that the sheer mention of the word "Leupold" sends people into convulsions, fits of rage, and miscellaneous emotional outbursts.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9096989 08/23/24 07:29 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
[Linked Image]

Late to the party. Not a dang thing wrong with that scope Scott. It's the OG of Leupold. Only thing it's pre-Zero-Stop. The Marines made it do for many years, no reason it won't work great for you. What are you putting it on? Pictures when done.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9097098 08/23/24 10:02 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Dang, that guy gave it a lickin and it kept on tickin.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9097111 08/23/24 10:52 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I think my VX6HD 3-18 is the perfect scope for my 30-06. It does exactly what I need. I am very happy with it. However, I have tasted the Nightforce koolaid with a 1-8 NX8 on my AR for the past 5 years. That being said it will be Nightforce on my next rifle. Especially since my next rifle project will probably be a long range poker.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9097122 08/23/24 11:08 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
[Linked Image]

Late to the party. Not a dang thing wrong with that scope Scott. It's the OG of Leupold. Only thing it's pre-Zero-Stop. The Marines made it do for many years, no reason it won't work great for you. What are you putting it on? Pictures when done.

It’s on my Tikka CTR. @ 21 ounces, I like the weight, power range and size.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9097432 08/24/24 04:33 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I keep it simple; if not a Leupold, than a Burris. And, vise versa.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9098889 08/27/24 02:20 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I am amazed at the number of folks needing a scope they can dial.
Never used one and my B&C reticle had served me well for 36 years now, Leupold has not failed us yet.

And yes we hunt wide open country that you could shoot for a long ways but why, get closer.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9099405 08/28/24 02:05 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The long range guys need a scope they can dial, and that logic has a lot of hunters thinking they need the same thing. And, of course, those hunters now need to shoot a critter at long range because they have a long range scope. I bought a couple of dial scopes, and they worked fine, but it wasn’t something I needed for the hunting I was doing. I did eventually buy a Leupold VX5 3-15, but only need to dial the turret on rare occasions.

For most hunters, and shots inside 300 yards, the only dialing needed is to dial your hunting buddies to tell them the buck you just got is bigger than theirs.

That said, there are plenty of folks that actually do want or need those long range scopes. But not me. If I really did need one, I’d buy one.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9100816 08/31/24 06:08 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Wytex
I am amazed at the number of folks needing a scope they can dial.
Never used one and my B&C reticle had served me well for 36 years now, Leupold has not failed us yet.

And yes we hunt wide open country that you could shoot for a long ways but why, get closer.

Actually, I don’t care so much about dialing. I like having a milliradian reticle in case I need a hold over on a longer shot. It’s handy having a ruler you can use for any cartridge and any load. It takes away the guesswork on how high you need to hold at distance.

I do agree with getting closer. I just like having a more precise reference for aiming if that isn’t possible.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9100882 08/31/24 09:32 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I may want someone to school me on this milliradian reticle to help with holdover as opposed to estimating off body size, or dialing.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: freerange] #9100883 08/31/24 09:44 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange
I may want someone to school me on this milliradian reticle to help with holdover as opposed to estimating off body size, or dialing.

I have both, but mostly dial using the CDS (custom dial) from Leupold. If it's far enough that I need to dial, I have time to range with my range finding bino's (Sig Kilo's) and then spin the dial to the yardage marked on the dial. I've hit coyotes at 550, 330 and 370 in the last year or so this way and several pigs. Not to mention all the other stuff over the last 8 years with my first Leupold set up with a CDS. I'm not saying one method is better than the other, but for me after doing it this way forever, successfully, hard to make the change. There is an appeal to eliminating one step in my process, and that would be to range, then hold, skipping the dialing. Damn, just like that I may be in the market for one as well.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9100887 08/31/24 09:58 PM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I used to be a Leupold guy, never and issue. But, they have priced themselves out of my range and i've moved on to others. Burris gets my money these days over most others.

For less money, although a bit more weight. I'd be getting a Burris Veracity PH 3-15x. It's actually in my cart as my next scope purchase when my bank account agrees with my spending.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: freerange] #9100921 08/31/24 10:55 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I generally just run a ballistic calculator for a load with different zero ranges to get the Mils at certain distances to align.

Below is an example of a typical 308 150 grain load. I went with 150 yard zero because I’m trying to get the drop to line up in .5 mil increments since that is how typical MIL reticles are set up. It shows drop in inches, MOA and MiL.

[Linked Image]

Below is the TMR reticle I bought. Hashes are .5 Mils.

[Linked Image]

If a animal was 350 yards away, instead of trying to figure out what 18 1/2” hold looks like on a particular animal, you just use the third hash mark down. For 400, it would be the 4th hash or 2 Mils since every hash is .5 mils.

If you have a 2nd focal plane scope, you just need to make sure you are at max power when holding.

If you have a 1st focal plane scope, the reticle works at any power.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9101029 09/01/24 07:15 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
After going to the other side of the planet, hunting hard for a week and finally getting that one shot on an animal, the last thing I want to do is monkey around with the turrets on my scope right before squeezing the trigger.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9101187 09/01/24 07:34 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I prefer a clean reticle for hunting. Keep that junk out of your field of view. It may cover up an even bigger animal next to the one your look at; or conceal its movement just enough to loose them.
Save that stuff for sniper or precision shooting.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: DJ22] #9101206 09/01/24 08:34 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by DJ22
I prefer a clean reticle for hunting. Keep that junk out of your field of view. It may cover up an even bigger animal next to the one your look at; or conceal its movement just enough to loose them.

roflmao Yeah. There might be a giant animal hiding behind a tiny hashmark or a dot. Freakin hilarious.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9101227 09/01/24 09:34 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Scott, thanks for the good explanation of the milliradian. Maybe someday but Im afraid it would be too much for me in the heat of the moment.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: freerange] #9101246 09/01/24 10:39 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Scott, thanks for the good explanation of the milliradian. Maybe someday but Im afraid it would be too much for me in the heat of the moment.

No problem. I generally just put a piece of tape on my scope cap or stock with the holdovers from 250 to 400 yard in 50 yard intervals. I’m almost always shooting game inside 200 yards but I like being prepared.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9101249 09/01/24 10:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is as difficult as going down a tape measure to the half inch mark. Or the one inch mark, or the 17 5/8" mark.

200 .5
300 1.0
400 1.9

"Junk out of your field of view". That's comical!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9101465 09/02/24 03:20 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

roflmao Yeah. There might be a giant animal hiding behind a tiny hashmark or a dot. Freakin hilarious.

That’s right; I forgot. Many folks out here have never hunted the Rocky Mountains or the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. Cage hunt’in Flatlanders. My bad. Now, that’s hilarious smile ani

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: DJ22] #9101485 09/02/24 04:03 PM
B
Big Sam Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B

I know you guys are kidding him but he does have a point. Some reticles read like a NYC road map. They make a lot of sense in long range shooting but when the light/contrast gets low they really do clutter up the view. Same thing if the reticle lights up for after dark shooting. Too much and too bright a reticle starts to block the view of the game.... especially picking out the best hog. Personally I have found that the ideal reticle for helping hogs into the freezer is not the best reticle for shooting at distance. No doubt the best varies by person but I avoid cluttered reticles for hunting.

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: DJ22] #9101488 09/02/24 04:08 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've hunted in the Rockies.

I killed a bull elk on public land. I was using a Mil based scope. He was 250 yards away and broad side. I held .5 Mil on his lungs and put him down in one shot.

Reticles are on or near .04 Mil thick. That's not going to prevent a hunter from not being able to see even white tail vitals at 500 yards. If we call that an 8" diameter circle, at 500 yards those vitals are .44 Mils in size. The vitals are 11 times larger than the reticle that is over them.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: J.G.] #9101525 09/02/24 05:37 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

I killed a bull elk on public land. I was using a Mil based scope. He was 250 yards away and broad side. I held .5 Mil on his lungs and put him down in one shot.

I’m not talking about taking down the largest game animal in N. America; standing still while it’s broadside. You’ve seen a Whitetail in the Rockies? Had to be a rare sight there. I continue to spot, even while I shoulder my rifle (if given the time) You probably just jumped out of the truck too. Your skill and knowledge is beyond me comprehension. Hats off to ya!

Last edited by DJ22; 09/02/24 05:38 PM.
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: DJ22] #9101544 09/02/24 06:21 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I’m not talking about taking down the largest game animal in N. America; standing still while it’s broadside. You’ve seen a Whitetail in the Rockies? Had to be a rare sight there. I continue to spot, even while I shoulder my rifle (if given the time) You probably just jumped out of the truck too. Your skill and knowledge is beyond me comprehension. Hats off to ya!

Yes I’ve seen and killed whitetails in the Rockies. There are Whitetails in RMNP. I normally hunt 20 plus days a year in the Rockies. This year I have 25 on the books.

Reticle is always a personal preference, just as zero/sight
-in/MPBR yardage etc. I hate a tree, but like windage holds. Most have too much adjustment/hashes for me, but simple vertical and wind are very usable. I’ve never had a reticle obstruction though

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: DJ22] #9101568 09/02/24 07:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I did not say I whitetail hunted in the Rockies. I was giving you some measurements to go by. Because of your statement "junk out of your field of view". Which is completely not true.

The only animals I've killed from the truck are hogs and coyotes. Farthest coyote to date was on November wheat. I ranged him at 540 yards. I held 3.0 Mils on his lungs and squeezed the trigger. Down he went.

I know how to stalk, stay out of the light and keep the wind in my favor. I can also make ethical shots farther than most people, because I practice it 52 weeks a year.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9101704 09/03/24 01:57 AM
O
Okie Newton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I have Leupold scopes and really like them. Of course they are the better models. and 30mm tubes on some of them. I gradually got away from Bushnell and gradually switched over when I had extra money. Even dumped all my change at the end of the day and saved it till the bucket got full. Didn't sting quite as bad that way.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: DJ22] #9102085 09/03/24 10:49 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

That’s right; I forgot. Many folks out here have never hunted the Rocky Mountains or the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. Cage hunt’in Flatlanders. My bad. Now, that’s hilarious smile ani

36 years now in Wyoming, how long have you hunted the Rockies?

I shot my rifle with the B&C reticle at ranges to know where it impacts with the different hash marks , I also keep my shots on 6x on the variable scope and sighted it on that power. I do shoot it at varying powers to see where it shoots, it stayed within the kill zone from 4x-10x.
I zero at 200 and know I have a 350 and 450 yd hash on the reticle.
Has worked so far for me.

And yes I understand the long range guys needing the dial scopes, makes perfect sense.
But I've seen long rang guys have issues getting that scope dialed and on the buck when in the field. Buck fever has to be accounted for.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9102086 09/03/24 10:52 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
We have whitetails in the mountains, and yes I have hunted them too.
Once took a blue grouse with my 300wsm. That pesky B&C reticle actually helped, lol.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9102398 09/04/24 03:38 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Every single deer I’ve harvest was at less than 200 yards away

Last edited by DJ22; 09/04/24 03:38 PM.
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9102415 09/04/24 04:22 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Once took a blue grouse with my 300wsm. That pesky B&C reticle actually helped, lol.

I've killed several hundred big game animals, and at least that many hogs. That B&C reticle is a game killing machine in the right hands, no doubt about it. I've had one on a Tikka 7mm08 for years, fueling a 140AB load 2820' at the muzzle, sighted in a 215 yds. The corresponding hashes put it dead nuts on at 300, 400, 450, and 500. Given the fact that 98% of big game animals I've killed since 1971 are at 300yds and in, it flat out works no matter what the internet says.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: DJ22] #9102456 09/04/24 05:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I’ve killed 50 in a week from 30-75 yards with a 22-250 from a buggy or pickup truck, and your point?

Having the ability of 100% hit probably at 500 yards, isn’t something to chaise someone over, just because you won’t put in the range and wind work in.

Above timber line on Sheep can be pretty sporty, don’t know about you but I think I’d master my shooting and wind reading to make sure I didn’t waste OIL tags because I was pinned down on last day.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9102462 09/04/24 05:37 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I’ve killed 50 in a week from 30-75 yards with a 22-250 from a buggy or pickup truck, and your point?

Having the ability of 100% hit probably at 500 yards, isn’t something to chaise someone over, just because you won’t put in the range and wind work in.

Above timber line on Sheep can be pretty sporty, don’t know about you but I think I’d master my shooting and wind reading to make sure I didn’t waste OIL tags because I was pinned down in last day.

Yup!

Victory favors the prepared.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9102754 09/05/24 11:30 AM
D
DJ22 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I apply the analogy of K.I.S.S. to almost every aspect of life. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

If you going to hunt Mountain Goats or Antelope, best step up to a more complex reticle. If your out on foot and jumping deer in dense forest with steep terrain, a clean reticle is always best. All that junk is going to be in your way.

I may hunt from horseback, but I never hunt from a truck or in a cage. Ever! The day I have to, is the day I stop hunting.

Reminds me of some of the best military pilots flying the most sophisticated aircraft in the World. Put them back in a Cessna 150, and they are lost for a moment.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Jgraider] #9102782 09/05/24 12:32 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jgraider

I've killed several hundred big game animals, and at least that many hogs. That B&C reticle is a game killing machine in the right hands, no doubt about it. I've had one on a Tikka 7mm08 for years, fueling a 140AB load 2820' at the muzzle, sighted in a 215 yds. The corresponding hashes put it dead nuts on at 300, 400, 450, and 500. Given the fact that 98% of big game animals I've killed since 1971 are at 300yds and in, it flat out works no matter what the internet says.

Yes sir, I agree 100% , lol. Who would have thought it .

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9102833 09/05/24 02:04 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

This I will agree; a fantastic reticle.

[Linked Image]

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9102836 09/05/24 02:07 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

I have one on a 25-06, it is a good setup that I have grown to not like, I now prefer FFP and the NF MIL C reticle. However, when that B&C came out, I thought it was the greatest thing years ago, and it still works today. I have never had an issue with clutter. If I ever have to hunt an area with cover too tight for a scope like that, I will have an open sight 45-70 in my hands.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: LonestarCobra] #9102839 09/05/24 02:17 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not too busy at all. My favorite reticle. It has worked at 10 yards and everything to 2180 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: scottfromdallas] #9102853 09/05/24 02:34 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
J.G. I would never use all those hash marks on that scope, that does look a little busy to me.
But I know lots of folks that use them with extreme accuracy.

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9102855 09/05/24 02:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Most people won't use them all.

If you're holding elevation, it makes for speed as well as very precise hits.

100 yard zero.

200 yards hold .4 Mil
300 yards hold 1.0 Mil
400 yards hold 1.8 Mil

Change cartridges and/or bullets, and/or muzzle velocity and the numbers change.

If you're going to dial elevation, that reticle gives you very precise wind holds as well. The most difficult and smallest target on my range is a 4" plate at 800 yards. That reticle will let you hold the wind tight enough you can hit it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9102856 09/05/24 02:40 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Some of us noticers noticed and were happy to see it as well. smile

Re: Should I buy a Leupold? [Re: Wytex] #9102915 09/05/24 04:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
J.G. I would never use all those hash marks on that scope, that does look a little busy to me.
But I know lots of folks that use them with extreme accuracy.

What funny is JG and I both’s ideal scope would have less then 5moa wind and similar 1.5 mil.

That’s 5 MOA is for a 20 mph wind at 600 yards with a 28Nos 195 Berger. not sure I can read wind good enough to be taking a longer shot than that with high wind, in fact I’d stop at 400 probably with that much wind.

Truthfully I would hold no more then 5 MOA verticals either. I need to be more precise over 400, and would dial

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide