Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shoulder holsters #9073923 07/10/24 01:02 AM
Adchunts Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Saw my first one in the wild today. Dude in Walmart was packing one over his tee shirt. I’ve never thought of them as a viable carry alternative, and seeing this one in person did nothing to change my mind. Holster flapping all over the place did not inspire confidence. Guy wearing it did not inspire confidence either, as he looked like he wanted everyone to know he was carrying a pistol. Any serious operators really carry in a shoulder holster?

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9073925 07/10/24 01:12 AM
R
RiverRider Online Sleepy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Sleepy
THF Trophy Hunter
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9073933 07/10/24 01:36 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Ive got one for a 1911 that I carry when it’s cold and I have a jacket on.

Not perfect for everyday but it’s a fun change.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9073966 07/10/24 03:54 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I wore one when I was a detective. They are designed to have equal weight on both sides so a couple of mags and handcuffs on the other side helped. They still work by a belt securing it and the weight is put on the shoulders rather than on the belt. Open carrying with one that’s not covered by a jacket is foolish as far as tactics go. Personally, I didn’t like it and found a kydex OWB paddle to be the most comfortable and easy on easy off design.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9073971 07/10/24 04:50 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I carry TC Contenders, Ruger stretch frame in 357Max or S&W 629 in a shoulder holster similar to Dirt Harry RR posted. Works for me in the woods, but do not carry with it in public just hunting or working around the place at times. Not going to use one for normal concealed carry, better options IMO.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: kmon11] #9073972 07/10/24 04:56 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by kmon11
I carry TC Contenders, Ruger stretch frame in 357Max or S&W 629 in a shoulder holster similar to Dirt Harry RR posted. Works for me in the woods, but do not carry with it in public just hunting or working around the place at times. Not going to use one for normal concealed carry, better options IMO.

I carried hunting handguns that way in the woods until I found the right chest rig. I have found it to be more comfortable and easier to access.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9073984 07/10/24 10:47 AM
Uncle Zeek Offline
Tracker
Tracker
When I wear a suit I use a shoulder holster (because I wear braces rather than a belt on a suit). A good shoulder holster shouldn't be 'flapping' as you put it fr the reasons that ntxtrapper gave above.

My wife doesn't like the shoulder rig that I have because the pistol is horizontal, and she's convinced that it's going to go off and hit a person standing behind me.

"Decency is not news; it's buried in the obituaries, but it's a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes AND 07/02 FFL
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205 Flower Mound TX 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074087 07/10/24 02:14 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I use a Diamond D Guide shoulder holster. They make them specific to your gun, mine is for my Glock Model 22, .40. It's nothing like what you describe. I prefer it at the lease and wear it all day, every day. I have left it on when going into town to the feed store, for gas, etc....it's not my preferred open carry holster. For wearing it all day at the lease, to me there's nothing better. This one was designed for fishing guides that need it up and away from their side and off their hip. Wear it all day, no fatigue at all, you forget it's there. It fits tight to my chest, doesn't move, is easy to get to when I'm seated in my Ranger or truck, not in the way getting into my front pocket, don't have to wear a belt..........a lot of advantages for me.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 07/10/24 02:14 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074130 07/10/24 03:51 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have a Galco for a Glock 19 Gen 3 & two spare mags. Really only use during the winter time with a jacket and while driving.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074144 07/10/24 04:26 PM
P
PonchoMike Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
I have several horizontal shoulder rigs I mostly use during winter with a jacket for cover. I do have several chest rigs from Gunfighters Inc that I use a lot around the property. Puts it out in front and out of the way and accessible. Great for mowing the yard or working and keeping hands free to do stuff. Carry anything from my many Glocks to k-frame smiths, x-frame smiths, even one for my Blackhawks and FK Brno PSD.

Last edited by PonchoMike; 07/10/24 04:27 PM.
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074314 07/10/24 11:07 PM
R
Rounder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
El Paso saddlery. Wore it when I flew for a federal agency. As was mentioned it was balanced by two magazines on the other side. They do fine leather work.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074363 07/11/24 12:35 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I wear a Desantis New York Undercover. I'm fat it's the only thing that feels good have one for my 1911 and one for my governor.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9074365 07/11/24 12:46 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I use a Diamond D Guide shoulder holster. They make them specific to your gun, mine is for my Glock Model 22, .40. It's nothing like what you describe. I prefer it at the lease and wear it all day, every day. I have left it on when going into town to the feed store, for gas, etc....it's not my preferred open carry holster. For wearing it all day at the lease, to me there's nothing better. This one was designed for fishing guides that need it up and away from their side and off their hip. Wear it all day, no fatigue at all, you forget it's there. It fits tight to my chest, doesn't move, is easy to get to when I'm seated in my Ranger or truck, not in the way getting into my front pocket, don't have to wear a belt..........a lot of advantages for me.

Is it this one ?

[Linked Image]

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Biscuit] #9074402 07/11/24 02:31 AM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes. It’s adjustable, my gun rides higher. Come check mine out if you want to see one before you spend the $. I e had mine 8 years, still in great shape after a lot of wear in harsh conditions.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074440 07/11/24 11:15 AM
Nolanco Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I had an old Bianchi X-15 for the six-inch Model 29, and found I preferred something hanging off a hip. Did wear an Uncle Mike's synthetic with a Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2-inch on a fishing trip in brown bear country in Alaska. While I carried a scoped Contender in one of the T/C chest bandoleer holsters a la Bob Milek, I have found I don't care for a restriction around my chest in anything like warm weather. Also feel leery in principle about the horizontal shoulder holsters, as it cannot be denied that one is indeed sweeping everyone and everything behind.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Nolanco] #9074491 07/11/24 01:32 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Nolanco
I had an old Bianchi X-15 for the six-inch Model 29, and found I preferred something hanging off a hip. Did wear an Uncle Mike's synthetic with a Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2-inch on a fishing trip in brown bear country in Alaska. While I carried a scoped Contender in one of the T/C chest bandoleer holsters a la Bob Milek, I have found I don't care for a restriction around my chest in anything like warm weather. Also feel leery in principle about the horizontal shoulder holsters, as it cannot be denied that one is indeed sweeping everyone and everything behind.

When I draw mine, I "sweep" nothing outside the width of the inside of my own shoulders directly in front of me. But, it's not horizontal. As I mentioned it's not my preferred method of carry but it does have it's application out at the lease and a few times in public.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9074509 07/11/24 02:00 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

When I draw mine, I "sweep" nothing outside the width of the inside of my own shoulders directly in front of me. But, it's not horizontal. As I mentioned it's not my preferred method of carry but it does have it's application out at the lease and a few times in public.

SO MUCH is misunderstood about Shoulder Holsters (the proper fitment, carry and use). I see the same 'drivel' parroted over and over by folks that have no clue about shoulder holsters (the pros and cons).

There ARE a few legitimate concerns, but they are few and most are easily addressed.

I felt compelled to write a bit about the subject some years back. I have many years and thousands of hours of shoulder holster carry experience to draw upon (no pun intended).

Spend a little time reading (those who are detractors).

https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31470

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31109

Some additional information with respect to the different types of shoulder rigs and carry (my info concerns horizontal carry).

https://youtu.be/nD9tNKG2AY0

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/11/24 02:21 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074523 07/11/24 02:13 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
To me it's a natural, logical motion to draw. Without reading your info I'll describe the process I came up with:

Both hands simultaneously to the gun, right to the grip, left to the barrel portion of the holster
Right hand, a very short vertical pull
Left and right come together as the gun is pushed forward

It's a tight, almost tucked motion until the holster is cleared. As the gun clears the holster and you're acquiring the target, the gun is in front of you and lining up on what you're shooting at.

Now I'll read what you have to offer and see how close I am.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9074525 07/11/24 02:21 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My holster is nothing like what you demonstrate with. It's the one Biscuit shows, only I carry higher.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: ntxtrapper] #9074534 07/11/24 02:34 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I wore one when I was a detective. They are designed to have equal weight on both sides so a couple of mags and handcuffs on the other side helped. .

Correct. It doesn't take as much counter balance to keep the firearm situated as one might think, BUT it wise to have a spare mag or two with you anyway and essential for LEO to be so equipped.

[Linked Image]

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: flintknapper] #9074544 07/11/24 02:42 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I wore one when I was a detective. They are designed to have equal weight on both sides so a couple of mags and handcuffs on the other side helped. .

Correct. It doesn't take as much counter balance to keep the firearm situated as one might think, BUT it wise to have a spare mag or two with you anyway and essential for LEO to be so equipped.

[Linked Image]

Yup, different ball game for you all together.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9074617 07/11/24 05:18 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
My holster is nothing like what you demonstrate with. It's the one Biscuit shows, only I carry higher.

Yes, that is not even traditional shoulder holster carry. Chest carry. An even shorter draw stroke and utilized by some military branches for decades.

Again...pros and cons for every method of carry.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074633 07/11/24 05:56 PM
Nolanco Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Flintknapper, thanks for the links to those two very useful discussions and defer to your long professional experience. I realize that drawing from a horizontal shoulder holster can be accomplished safely. And its funny -- I used that same dowel-in-the-barrel prop to teach handgun muzzle awareness as a pistol instructor and range safety officer at the Otero County Shooting Range in La Luz, NM.
When I said I was leery about horizontal carry I was referring to the fact that when holstered -- and at the very moment of initial hand contact when initiating the draw -- the muzzle is pointing behind the person carrying and typically at chest level if there happens to be someone behind them. We know a gun can't just go off by itself, but I do not care to be looking right down the muzzle of anyone's firearm, ever. Concealment of course keeps the person standing behind the carrier blissfully unaware of this.
A shoulder holster can be extremely useful. I mentioned an Alaska fishing trip. I carried the stainless Redhawk .44 loaded with 320-grain hard-cast over a full charge of 296 in that lightweight Uncle Mike's nylon rig right under my left arm and it rode just above the top of my chest waders -- out of the way but immediately accessible while casting the fly rod with my right arm. That sixgun was a real comfort after seeing fresh bear tracks on top of my footprints on a gravel bar from the day before. We were fishing Andrew Creek at the mouth of the Stikine just out of Wrangell. Literally had salmon swim between my legs.

Last edited by Nolanco; 07/11/24 06:05 PM.
Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Nolanco] #9074669 07/11/24 07:52 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Flintknapper, thanks for the links to those two very useful discussions and defer to your long professional experience. I realize that drawing from a horizontal shoulder holster can be accomplished safely. And its funny -- I used that same dowel-in-the-barrel prop to teach handgun muzzle awareness as a pistol instructor and range safety officer at the Otero County Shooting Range in La Luz, NM.
When I said I was leery about horizontal carry I was referring to the fact that when holstered -- and at the very moment of initial hand contact when initiating the draw -- the muzzle is pointing behind the person carrying and typically at chest level if there happens to be someone behind them. We know a gun can't just go off by itself, but I do not care to be looking right down the muzzle of anyone's firearm, ever. Concealment of course keeps the person standing behind the carrier blissfully unaware of this.
A shoulder holster can be extremely useful. I mentioned an Alaska fishing trip. I carried the stainless Redhawk .44 loaded with 320-grain hard-cast over a full charge of 296 in that lightweight Uncle Mike's nylon rig right under my left arm and it rode just above the top of my chest waders -- out of the way but immediately accessible while casting the fly rod with my right arm. That sixgun was a real comfort after seeing fresh bear tracks on top of my footprints on a gravel bar from the day before. We were fishing Andrew Creek at the mouth of the Stikine just out of Wrangell. Literally had salmon swim between my legs.

Yes Sir. And somewhere in those discussions it was noted the inescapable fact that with horizontal carry there IS an issue (gun being handled) at the first of the draw stroke and when re-holstering. Re-holstering easily solved. But there is NO 'sweeping' of everyone and everything as is often touted.

But the main focus was to dispel many of he myths or misunderstandings about shoulder holsters. Or at least to offer practical solutions for the concerns.

Thank you for your reply and thoughts. Flint.

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/11/24 07:53 PM.

Re: Shoulder holsters [Re: Adchunts] #9074998 07/12/24 03:56 PM
65x55 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I have a reproduction US Army M3 holster for my reproduction 1911A1, it's handy for woods carry. I keep a few extra magazines in a mag pouch on the strap. it fastens to your belt so pretty secure. It's the same holster model my grandfather wore when flying B-24s.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide