Leupold Optics Question #9060149 06/10/24 11:29 PM
C
Cajun_in_Texas Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
C
THF folks,

Have you noticed a decline in the quality of reticle adjustment dials in Leupold in the current line up?
Seems like VX3-5 series scopes in the prior 3-10 years had more precise feeling and audible click adjusters.

With that said, what would you recommend for a light weight, high quality optic 3x9 to say 3-12 range.
This would go on an Kimber 84L which is pretty light and trim.

My preference is US made optics which narrows the field.
I'm running some Zeiss Conquest scopes on other rifles which were assembled in US with Japanese glass.

Let's see what THF can suggest. Budget would be under $1K, preferably around 500-600.

Thanks
Cajun in Texas

Cajun in Texas
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060153 06/10/24 11:37 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Leupold bad tracking is quite normal. This was two days ago. Hand loaded, match perfect ammo, with an ES of 12 fps. Leupold VX5-HD

[Linked Image]

I will not own Leupold, Vortex, Swarovski, and Zeiss rifle scopes. They do not track. They do not hold zero.

Money saver REALLY GOOD scope.

https://www.eurooptic.com/C557-NF-Nightforce-SHV-4-14x50-F1-1-MIL--illuminated-Mil-R-r.aspx

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060161 06/10/24 11:48 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’d normally recommend the SWFA 3-9 but I’m not sure when they will be in stock. It is not USA made but is made in Japan and SWFA is a Texas company.

https://swfa.com/swfa-3-9x42-ss-hd-mil-quad-reticle-30mm-tube-1-mil-clicks-ffp/

Trijicon is another good option. Also made in Japan.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...on-Tree-30mm-Matte-Black-Riflescope.aspx

Both are fairly light but not as light as Leupolds.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 06/10/24 11:59 PM.

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060164 06/10/24 11:56 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Trijicon AccuPoint.

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060220 06/11/24 01:16 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Trijcon crede
maven RS1.2 - 2.5-15X44 FFP(. It’s a very usable full range reticle)
NF SHV

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: J.G.] #9060279 06/11/24 03:44 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by J.G.
Leupold bad tracking is quite normal. This was two days ago. Hand loaded, match perfect ammo, with an ES of 12 fps. Leupold VX5-HD

[Linked Image]

I will not own Leupold, Vortex, Swarovski, and Zeiss rifle scopes. They do not track. They do not hold zero.

https://www.eurooptic.com/C557-NF-Nightforce-SHV-4-14x50-F1-1-MIL--illuminated-Mil-R-r.aspx

Leupold came in No1 this year….seems like it was Vortex last year.
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2024/06/10/best-long-range-scope-reticle-what-the-pros-use/

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: DStroud] #9060290 06/11/24 05:51 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by DStroud

[Linked Image]

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2024/06/10/best-long-range-scope-reticle-what-the-pros-use/

Interesting.

[Linked Image]

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060327 06/11/24 12:36 PM
12th Man Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
It's always good to do some type of box test on your scope. The easiest way we've found is to secure your rifle and scope. I use my Tipton gun vise as it allows me to tighten down the rear stock where it won't move, We'll draw out usually a 25MOA box on a couple pieces of poster board taped together with has marks at 10/15 & 20 MOA. Using a weighted plumb line we make sure the vertical line on the target is plumb and horizontal line is perfectly level at 100 yards. Getting it lined up on the target may take a bit of work, You can easily do a 20 moa box test or what ever increment you want and check the tracking. Much more accurate that shooting a box test if the rifle/scope are truly secure. This will check two aspects, one, how well does the scope track and does it come back to the zero. Two, is the vertical reticle canting as the move up. Cant has a big effect shooting long distances. It's worked really well for me.

Last edited by 12th Man; 06/11/24 12:37 PM.

Distance is not the issue, but the winds can make it interesting!
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: DStroud] #9060342 06/11/24 01:20 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A really interesting article. Thanks for posting it. It’s nice to know what the serious folk are using.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060343 06/11/24 01:21 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Cajun_in_Texas
THF folks,

Have you noticed a decline in the quality of reticle adjustment dials in Leupold in the current line up?
Seems like VX3-5 series scopes in the prior 3-10 years had more precise feeling and audible click adjusters.

With that said, what would you recommend for a light weight, high quality optic 3x9 to say 3-12 range.

I'm running some Zeiss Conquest scopes on other rifles which were assembled in US with Japanese glass.

Let's see what THF can suggest. Budget would be under $1K, preferably around 500-600.

Thanks
Cajun in Texas

Which LEUPOLD did you have this issue with and did it track and hold zero? The audible click and feel wouldn’t necessarily lead to performance issues.

I haven’t noticed the characteristic you discuss. I have two VX5-HD’s. One purchased 7 years ago and one a year old. They aren’t any different than a VX6 that is 12 years old. They both are great hunting scopes. I dial them all year long with no issues. My first in the line up has been dialed from a 100 yard zero to kill a coyote at 550 yards, months later to a 370 yard kill and many 300 yard verification shots on steel in the year. Over it’s 7 year life it’s been dialed 100’s of times and always been money, returned to and held zero.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: ntxtrapper] #9060351 06/11/24 01:50 PM
A
AP2714 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Trijicon AccuPoint.

X2

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: ntxtrapper] #9060382 06/11/24 02:43 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W

[Linked Image]

Interesting.

[Linked Image]

They both beat ZCO and NF so you have to wonder how much of that is sponsor driven. I don’t know. I know when I upgraded from my Mk5 to the ZCO I didn’t regret one penny of it.

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9060383 06/11/24 02:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Cajun_in_Texas
THF folks,

Thanks
Cajun in Texas

Which LEUPOLD did you have this issue with and did it track and hold zero? The audible click and feel wouldn’t necessarily lead to performance issues.

I haven’t noticed the characteristic you discuss. I have two VX5-HD’s. One purchased 7 years ago and one a year old. They aren’t any different than a VX6 that is 12 years old. They both are great hunting scopes. I dial them all year long with no issues. My first in the line up has been dialed from a 100 yard zero to kill a coyote at 550 yards, months later to a 370 yard kill and many 300 yard verification shots on steel in the year. Over it’s 7 year life it’s been dialed 100’s of times and always been money, returned to and held zero.

Me -2- Vx5 HD and vx3 (luppy replaced one HD 5 and the vx 3)
cousin-2 mark 5’s

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: ntxtrapper] #9060385 06/11/24 02:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

[Linked Image]

Interesting.

[Linked Image]

PRS= paid to shoot and they are all shooting Mark 5’s, I doubt any PRS shooters are shooting sub $1000 scopes also.

PRS rifle are also not hunting rifles, while they are used a lot over all rifle weights and recoil reduction systems are well above most hunting rifles.

I’m done with glass quality I need highest probability of reliability, tried of sending scopes back.

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9060409 06/11/24 03:21 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

PRS= paid to shoot and they are all shooting Mark 5’s,

PRS rifle are also not hunting rifles, while they are used a lot over all rifle weights and recoil reduction systems are well above most hunting rifles.

I’m done with glass quality I need highest probability of reliability, tried of sending scopes back.

PRS has turned into exhibition shooting to me. Their rifles are benchrest rifles with arca rails and bipods (some even weigh more than some benchrest rifles)...seems like I saw an article recently their weights were averaging 20lb+ rifles.

Looks like NRL is the old PRS...without 6mm's.

That wasn't a knock on PRS shooters...those guys winning PRS matches would very likely win NRL or any other rifle game they decided to play. Also, one thing I've noticed over the years...PRS shooters are loyal to their sponsors. I bet over the last few years the NF presence on the prize tables have went down and the Leupy has increased. Nothing wrong with that...take care of the hand that feeds you.

Those articles I read and are interested in but not something I put much weight on...

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060449 06/11/24 03:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A long time customer of mine asked me two months ago about replacing his VX-5 HD. He said it was always losing zero. And his elevation corrections always varied. He's been a Leupold guy for 30 years.

I told him Night Force NX8. He bought one, and got it bore sighted and zeroed. Then shot with it for a couple of weeks. He called again and said what a great scope it is, he's done with Leupold forever, selling the ones he has, and will be buying another NX8.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Judd] #9060477 06/11/24 04:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd

PRS has turned into exhibition shooting to me. Their rifles are benchrest rifles with arca rails and bipods (some even weigh more than some benchrest rifles)...seems like I saw an article recently their weights were averaging 20lb+ rifles.

That wasn't a knock on PRS shooters...those guys winning PRS matches would very likely win NRL or any other rifle game they decided to play. Also, one thing I've noticed over the years...PRS shooters are loyal to their sponsors. I bet over the last few years the NF presence on the prize tables have went down and the Leupy has increased. Nothing wrong with that...take care of the hand that feeds you.

Those articles I read and are interested in but not something I put much weight on...

We are also forgetting not a scope being used in that class that meets the OP’s pricing, out side of maybe a Burris .

OP if you are a vet or first responder most the scope companies have great programs. Most use Guidefitter or Expert voice, few are direct like leupold

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: J.G.] #9060482 06/11/24 04:56 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A long time customer of mine asked me two months ago about replacing his VX-5 HD. He said it was always losing zero. And his elevation corrections always varied. He's been a Leupold guy for 30 years.

I told him Night Force NX8. He bought one, and got it bore sighted and zeroed. Then shot with it for a couple of weeks. He called again and said what a great scope it is, he's done with Leupold forever, selling the ones he has, and will be buying another NX8.

Is he a member here? I’d be interested in buying one of them. I’ve put a few of my hunting partners on VX5-HD’s, all hunting great with them.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060483 06/11/24 04:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
All that chart says is more people shoot LP than the others. TT had four of the top 10, LP and NF had two each.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9060489 06/11/24 05:04 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Is he a member here? I’d be interested in buying one of them. I’ve put a few of my hunting partners on VX5-HD’s, all hunting great with them.

I have a VX5-HD 3-15 fire dot with aluminum scope capes. $800

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9060535 06/11/24 06:33 PM
R
RiverRider Online Sleepy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Sleepy
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
All that chart says is more people shoot LP than the others. TT had four of the top 10, LP and NF had two each.

Yep. Looks to me like some are not paying close attention to what the chart is telling us, which is more Tangent Theta users were in the top 10 than users of any other brand. Nightforce did well too.

Regardless, OP is shopping for a scope to put on a Kimber 84L, not a competition rig. I doubt he's wanting a 40-ounce scope, and I get the impression he just wants something with turrets that generally work. I'd suggest looking for one of the older Weaver Super Slams or the Grand Slams (either version). They have good glass and the turrets work well, and weight is very reasonable for a hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9060548 06/11/24 07:24 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

We are also forgetting not a scope being used in that class that meets the OP’s pricing, out side of maybe a Burris .

OP if you are a vet or first responder most the scope companies have great programs. Most use Guidefitter or Expert voice, few are direct like leupold

Notice I haven't put a recommendation out either wink I have not a single clue on a $5-600 scope that would be worth a crap. If I did, I'd have a safe full of them wink Instead I have a safe full of $750-800 when we could buy them for that...

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Judd] #9060558 06/11/24 07:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Notice I haven't put a recommendation out either wink I have not a single clue on a $5-600 scope that would be worth a crap. If I did, I'd have a safe full of them wink Instead I have a safe full of $750-800 when we could buy them for that...

Valid point.

Think you can get there with NF SHV but barely and Trijicon is just above

SHV glass is meee but reliable

Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: Cajun_in_Texas] #9060637 06/11/24 09:33 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
He’s gonna hunt with the scope, not shoot competition. He’ll do perfectly fine with a Leupold VX3 or VX5. I also have an Athlon Midas 2.5-15 that is pretty nice for what I use it for. Next scope, if there is one, might be a Trijicon, just because I’d like to see how good it is. Zeiss would be fine.

The Athlon Midas hits his price ideas, and the clicks are sharp. Some of you guys are pushing him toward Porsche level, when all he needs is Toyota level.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Leupold Optics Question [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9060705 06/11/24 11:15 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I have a VX5-HD 3-15 fire dot with aluminum scope capes. $800

Oh and I have a Zeiss 4-16 for sale also

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide