texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Scott schreiber, MGbowhunter, arlon, jose.guadalupe.olvera.cruz11@hmail.com, Hatman1112
72620 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,840
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 66,179
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
Stub 45,359
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics545,297
Posts9,820,240
Members87,620
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051190 05/23/24 01:32 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Aldi has st. Louis cut ribs for $1.99/lb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Stub] #9051198 05/23/24 01:50 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

My bad! Yep, didn't read the fine print. Is Prime worth an extra $1 a lb?

I would say Prime is worth the extra money on brisket IF it's trimmed well. Prime marbling means you don't need a real thick fat cap on the brisket IMO. So if you're having to trim off a couple pounds of fat, it might not be worth it. Also, I generally am not a fan of Tom Thumb's beef (or their non-sale prices on beef). So do a good inspection on the brisket if you're going w/ Tom Thumb.

IMO, no. Prime is not worth the extra expense. I try to choose my brisket based on the flat thickness. I want a thicker flat that will not cook too fast and dry out before the cap is cooked. I have won competitions with Choice Brisket, I have fed weddings, funerals, and 4rth of July picnics with some of the most tender and consistent choice brisket that you have ever had.

Sam's Prime Brisket's are very good cuts of meat, if they had Prime on sale for $2.97 lb, you bet your azz I would get one vs a Choice for a $1.97 from Kroger

Went to Tom Thumb yesterday to pick up a few items, looked at the supposed Prime Briskets and the were pretty pathetic, very little marbling and big chunks of fat (Deckle?)all over them..
Like I mentioned preciously, Tom Thumb's meat has gone down hill big time.

[Linked Image]

Does Tom Thumb cut their own briskets. The stores just buy cases of them and put them out. Look at the packaging and see what company they come from.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051199 05/23/24 01:51 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Wish I could find brisket on sale around Waco/Temple I would stock up.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: skinnerback] #9051200 05/23/24 01:52 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by skinnerback
The deckle is only in one spot on a brisket, hard fat on the side of the point. Won't be all over.

Thats why I put the question mark after Deckle up

Yessr I noticed, that's why I answered. grin

I'm itching for some brisket. Think I'll cook one this Saturday to go with the last sack of crawfish I'm cooking this season. cheers

I'm cooking one on Saturday night for Sunday lunch. food

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Pope&Young] #9051202 05/23/24 02:00 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by Pope&Young
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

My bad! Yep, didn't read the fine print. Is Prime worth an extra $1 a lb?

I would say Prime is worth the extra money on brisket IF it's trimmed well. Prime marbling means you don't need a real thick fat cap on the brisket IMO. So if you're having to trim off a couple pounds of fat, it might not be worth it. Also, I generally am not a fan of Tom Thumb's beef (or their non-sale prices on beef). So do a good inspection on the brisket if you're going w/ Tom Thumb.

IMO, no. Prime is not worth the extra expense. I try to choose my brisket based on the flat thickness. I want a thicker flat that will not cook too fast and dry out before the cap is cooked. I have won competitions with Choice Brisket, I have fed weddings, funerals, and 4rth of July picnics with some of the most tender and consistent choice brisket that you have ever had.

Bubba... What's your input on the bend tested with a brisket?

Meat bends. Fat doesn't (well, it doesn't bend very well) IMO the bend test is just a way to figure out how much fat is on the brisket. You can do that with your eyeballs. If there is too much fat for your liking, trim some off. I save all my brisket fat trimmings in a vaccuum seal bag in the freezer. When I grind my deer meat, that is what I mix with it. Makes a phenomenal burger. I've never bent a brisket a day in my life. Oh, and by the way, I do leave quite a bit of fat on the brisket for the cook. Trim most of the fat off of the fat cap, and leave most of the fat on the flat. I do try to cut most of the deckle out. that is the best part for grinding.

current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051206 05/23/24 02:10 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
Another thing to take note of. You'll hear a lot of BBQ guys will completely disagree with me on a lot of things. I don't use a thermometer, I don't use prime Brisket, I think just salt and Pepper is kinda bland ( I make my own very complex rub), and I wrap in foil. There is more than one right way to do Brisket. If you do something different than I do, It doesn't mean that your way is wrong.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051217 05/23/24 02:29 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

Okay Skin, you inspired me to pull mine out of the freezer, might double down and pull a pork butt out also and smoke them together nidea
Going to throw some Post Oak in the garage to keep out of the rain so they will be good to go.

[Linked Image]

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Stub] #9051224 05/23/24 02:41 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
That's what I'm talking about! cheers

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: unclebubba] #9051228 05/23/24 02:49 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Another thing to take note of. You'll hear a lot of BBQ guys will completely disagree with me on a lot of things. I don't use a thermometer, I don't use prime Brisket, I think just salt and Pepper is kinda bland ( I make my own very complex rub), and I wrap in foil. There is more than one right way to do Brisket. If you do something different than I do, It doesn't mean that your way is wrong.

Okay the obvious question is, fat side up or down? No we are not talking about what goes on behind close doors . banana2

I use to mix a bunch of stuff together, now just these 3 on brisket.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stub; 05/23/24 02:49 PM.

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051231 05/23/24 02:52 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Hey Stub, did you get beef processed at Hartness or just buy cuts? I was wondering how good they were. The Meridian locker bunch are crooks.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Stub] #9051232 05/23/24 02:54 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U

Okay the obvious question is, fat side up or down? No we are not talking about what goes on behind close doors . banana2

[Linked Image]

OK, so if you cook fat side down, your way is wrong. peep

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: unclebubba] #9051243 05/23/24 03:05 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

[Linked Image]

OK, so if you cook fat side down, your way is wrong. peep

I always put fat side up ,Aaron Franklin says fat side up on a smoker, fat side down over direct heat.

Should do a poll on it.

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Stub] #9051245 05/23/24 03:08 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
[I always put fat side up ,Aaron Franklin says fat side up on a smoker, fat side down over direct heat.

Should do a poll on it.

My buddy did some research on it because he bought a set it and forget cooking apparatus. For that style of cooker it's fat side down and traditional offset fat side up. He sent me a lot of videos on it, I didn't watch any of them.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051249 05/23/24 03:13 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Dunno what to think of this. Prolly mislabeled first as choice then fixed?

Who is the brisket LEO?

[Linked Image]

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051293 05/23/24 04:17 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Fat side up or down is depending on how you want your smoke ring to look. I like down...but I typically don't use any crutches (wraps) either.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051294 05/23/24 04:19 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Fat up on offset, fat down on pellet smoker. I trim up the fat much closer on a pellet smoker.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: unclebubba] #9051298 05/23/24 04:27 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E

I with you Bubba. we do use a thermometer to verify. Have cooked for years now my son cooks in competitions and I assist when we have time. Think BBQ restaurants use prime briskets. They get their briskets in cases and cook what they get.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: LarryCopper] #9051341 05/23/24 05:52 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Who is the brisket LEO?

That narrative fits with exactly what I was saying about the lack of quality on Tom Thumb's meats relative to price. Some shops do have much higher end looking cuts than typical Tom Thumb's, but the price much higher than other stores (even higher than Central Market sometimes).

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051342 05/23/24 05:53 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
And ALWAYS fat side when smoking on offset heat for me.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Gringo Bling] #9051343 05/23/24 05:54 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by LarryCopper

Who is the brisket LEO?

That narrative fits with exactly what I was saying about the lack of quality on Tom Thumb's meats relative to price. Some shops do have much higher end looking cuts than typical Tom Thumb's, but the price much higher than other stores (even higher than Central Market sometimes).

I'll give credit to Brookshires, they take choice briskets and label them select.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051350 05/23/24 06:05 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
J
Our Kroger's didn't have a single one earlier. Didn't bother asking as I've wasted my time with that before.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051355 05/23/24 06:12 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Any of you old timers will know that the quality of meat and briskets in particular has really gone down over the past 30 years. You can just look at a brisket and tell they are not the same. They used to semi trim every brisket; now you have to trim 3 or 4 pounds. They got smart. Just as bad are pigs and chickens. Have you seen the size of these? There’s no such a thing as a baby back rib, usually. What used to be a choice was actually a prime brisket now. And a Prime today is moving to a low grade of choice in the past. Look for the actual marbling in each brisket and pick that one. My rant.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Huntmaster] #9051372 05/23/24 06:44 PM
G
Gringo Bling Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
And a Prime today is moving to a low grade of choice in the past. Look for the actual marbling in each brisket and pick that one. My rant.

I would counter that by saying certain stores like Costco, Whole Foods and Central Market (and some would say Sam's), actually have USDA Choice cuts that could actually be graded out as Prime. There are times at Costco where I've been blown away by the marbling in their Choice steaks. And to your point, I bought some $10/lb NY Strips at HEB Plano 2 weeks ago that were Prime. I dug through the meat case to find the best 4 packaged together, but I really don't think they had the marbling to be graded out at Prime. Great price at $10, but not Prime in my opinion.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051479 05/23/24 09:58 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I was able to get 2 average briskets at the Kroger near me. About 8 to choose from, so it wasn`t the best but I`m picky. I used to go through 1000+ briskets every holiday and pick the cream of the crop. Managing a meat market has a few perks and that`s one of the best. I don`t know if briskets are any different today than they were when I was in the business (75-2006). I can assure you that I saw plenty of $hitty choice briskets my whole career that covered 4 different decades. We never sold Prime. I went by the HEB in Granbury to get a TriTip that was on sale for 3 bucks off per lb. and they were out of them like always. They are terrible about no having sale items. Always have an excuse about they didn`t receive what they ordered. BS.

Re: Brisket PSA [Re: Jimbo1] #9051914 05/24/24 10:38 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Rain or not, the brisket show must go on.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide